Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

L-O-N
Sep 13, 2004

Pillbug

Abugadu posted:

For games with frame rate issues, is it better to install on the hard drive or to get the disc? Assume 'just avoid' isn't one of the options.

It doesn't matter. The disc installs to the hard drive anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Abugadu posted:

For games with frame rate issues, is it better to install on the hard drive or to get the disc? Assume 'just avoid' isn't one of the options.

Please join us from the year 2006. Gaming tech has evolved a lot since then.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Installing to a mechanical hard drive is not exactly evolution.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Welp guess I'm preordering Horizon now.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Yodzilla posted:

Famous last words.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Sunning posted:

Horizon and Nioh are reviewing very well?

It just isn't fully clear why you mentioned Star Ocean.

L-O-N
Sep 13, 2004

Pillbug

TFRazorsaw posted:

The averageness just feels more damning when everyone was hyping up it up, especially for the visuals.

Which are nice, at first glance, until you see someone talk, or notice how overbearing the fog is compared to other open world games, and see how tedious the combat is, and it all just feels like all the lovely cruft barely hidden by pretty distractions.

Reviews seem to say the combat is great and one of the standouts from your average open world game.

Blackfyre
Jul 8, 2012

I want wings.

Aphrodite posted:

Eurogamer says that for every game.

Europe must be a really depressing place.

Yes it is :sadpeanut:

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
If I'm only going to buy one Marvel Ultimate Alliance, is there any reason it shouldn't be 2? I played them both when they first came out, but I can't remember if 2 was a step forward or a step back. Since they are the same price it's a little ambiguous.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Yodzilla posted:

I had it preordered but wound up canceling it. I'm glad it's reviewing well and I still hope to play it someday but there are just too many games being released now. It's been an absolute flood since fall and I've still got 3 games from last year to play plus massive games like Zelda and Nioh on the way. Something had to give.

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

Wendell posted:

It just isn't fully clear why you mentioned Star Ocean.

I checked every title on metacritic for 2016 and it was the lowest rated game at $60. That game got ravaged by reviewers. Homefront 2 did worse but Deep Silver sold it at a budget price.

Poor Tri-Ace can't catch a break.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

LawfulWaffle posted:

If I'm only going to buy one Marvel Ultimate Alliance, is there any reason it shouldn't be 2? I played them both when they first came out, but I can't remember if 2 was a step forward or a step back. Since they are the same price it's a little ambiguous.

Well, 2 has fewer costumes per character and the Civil War storyline that forces you to split the roster.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Sunning posted:

I checked every title on metacritic for 2016 and it was the lowest rated game at $60. That game got ravaged by reviewers. Homefront 2 did worse but Deep Silver sold it at a budget price.

Poor Tri-Ace can't catch a break.

It'd help if they made a good game occasionally.

I played through all of SO5, it deserved those reviews.
I couldn't make it through more than 3 hours of Exist Archive

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.

Sakurazuka posted:

It'd help if they made a good game occasionally.

I played through all of SO5, it deserved those reviews.
I couldn't make it through more than 3 hours of Exist Archive

Tough but fair. The last Tri-Ace game I really enjoyed was Star Ocean 2. I wore out the strategy guide so much that I had to punch holes through every page and transfer it to a binder.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

They've made good games since then but only like three.
Four depending on when Valkyrie Profile came out.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
There have been games that got good reviews but were in fact rubbish

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Goddamn, that emote is depressing to watch .

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
As a fellow eurogoon Europe is only as depressing as you allow it to be! Smash the state! GAME ALL DAY!

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Looks like William is going to be in Musou Stars.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Kingdom Hearts .2 birth by sleep runs kind of bad on the unreal engine. When Kingdom Hearts 3 comes out in 2020, it better be 60 FPS.

Blackfyre
Jul 8, 2012

I want wings.

VideoGames posted:

As a fellow eurogoon Europe is only as depressing as you allow it to be! Smash the state! GAME ALL DAY!

I lie awake at night wondering what will Eurogamer be called after Brexit

trash person
Apr 5, 2006

Baby Executive is pleased with your performance!
I didn't realize the review Embargo for Horizon lifted today.

I finally preordered it yesterday (on Amazon since you get that decent discount). Was rewarded with the good news. I'm excited that it's apparently a super refined version of all those open world games from the past few years cause, I never played any of them!

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Samurai Sanders posted:

Looks like William is going to be in Musou Stars.

They're having him wear the armor set I use. good taste.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Man, after playing 60 hours of Nioh, loading up Bloodborne is pretty rough. I spun the camera around in the Hunter's Dream and that was all it took to get me wondering if I could fit a PS4 Pro into my budget

L-O-N
Sep 13, 2004

Pillbug

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Man, after playing 60 hours of Nioh, loading up Bloodborne is pretty rough. I spun the camera around in the Hunter's Dream and that was all it took to get me wondering if I could fit a PS4 Pro into my budget

A pro isn't going to fix the frame pacing problems if you notice that sort of stuff.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

A Pro will not fill the emptiness in your heart.

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I'm kinda astonished you don't have one already!

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Aphrodite posted:

Well, 2 has fewer costumes per character and the Civil War storyline that forces you to split the roster.

Activision really screwed over folks with both Ultimate Alliance games. They both had DLC costumes/characters instead of the stuff being on the disk but for cheapness reasons they took most of said things down not long after each game came out. So in 2's case there's content that doesn't exist anymore, and in 1's case the only way to get it is this uncommon reprint of the 360 version that actually has all of the game's content on the disk. Both are still way better than Justice League Heroes and a lot of the other overhead coop games of the time though.

L-O-N
Sep 13, 2004

Pillbug

Wendell posted:

A Pro will not fill the emptiness in your heart.

Fortunately, as a manchild, my heart is easily filled by shiny things.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

So I'll try to answer any questions people have about Horizon now that things are up. I'm not gonna drop any spoilers about how Aloy is actually three mechanical dinosaurs in a human suit or anything but otherwise lemme know if you've got any questions.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I'm glad Horizon is getting good scores, though it seems like the type of games that's gonna end up needing goon hated anyways. I have too much else to okay to buy it at full price but will jump right on it when it gets in the $30 range (assuming I'm done with P5 at that time)

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

So I'll try to answer any questions people have about Horizon now that things are up. I'm not gonna drop any spoilers about how Aloy is actually three mechanical dinosaurs in a human suit or anything but otherwise lemme know if you've got any questions.

Does the difficulty curve break like most open-world games as your skillset expands?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

ImpAtom posted:

What kind of variety is there in regards to hostile and passive robot critters? I'm guessing the big giraffe things are like the synch points in Assassin's Creed from what I've seen in the previews (climb on top, hack, reveal local quests/pickups/macguffins)?

edit: Actually, I'll ask the big question; Is it a complete story told, or does it jerk you around at the last minute in hopes of a sequel/franchise? (not like "ooh, here's a small hint that something might happen later", I mean full-on "there goes the main villain, getting away with both fingers raised and the big macguffin to chase in the sequel we REALLY hope we get to make")

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Feb 20, 2017

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Horizon Zero Dawn seems to be reviewing really well, so I'm happy. Giant Bomb gave it a 100. This was the single game of 2017 that I very much wanted to be good and it looks like it will deliver.

ImpAtom posted:

Is there a NG+ and/or hardcore mode?

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

is bow and arrowing robots as satisfying as headshot arrowing bros in tomb raider

ExCruceLeo
Oct 4, 2003

I'll choose the truth I like.
Anyone know of any controller deals? One of mine is doing weird thing where it ignores button presses sometimes.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Oxxidation posted:

Does the difficulty curve break like most open-world games as your skillset expands?

Yes and no.

A really cool thing it does is that higher-tier weapons, rather than being stat upgrades, instead give you access to more options. So your bow upgrades from Arrows to Arrows and Fire Arrows to Arrow, Fire Arrows and Armor Pierce Arrrows. Your elemental-specialized bow goes from Electric Arrows to Ice and Electric Arrows to Ice and Electric and Corruption Arrows. Enemies also always hit pretty hard even with upgraded armor so you're rewarded for at least trying to dodge.

That said modifications can do a ton to boost your power and there is one specific weapon The Rattler that is basically insanely overpowered if you min-max your modifications. By the end of a normal playthrough I was tearing things apart. I can't speak for a higher difficulty but if you're worried I might start on Hard.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

What kind of variety is there in regards to hostile and passive robot critters? I'm guessing the big giraffe things are like the synch points in Assassin's Creed from what I've seen in the previews (climb on top, hack, reveal local quests/pickups/macguffins)?

edit: Actually, I'll ask the big question; Is it a complete story told, or does it jerk you around at the last minute in hopes of a sequel/franchise? (not like "ooh, here's a small hint that something might happen later", I mean full-on "there goes the main villain, getting away with both fingers raised and the big macguffin to chase in the sequel we REALLY hope we get to make")

There's a pretty good variety of creatures but every one that isn't the Tallneck is hostile if you spook them. The Tallnecks are sync points but there are only about 4 in the game and you don't fight, just climb them.

The story is absolutely finished. There is a sequel-bait post-credit scene but you get answers to most of the big questions and face down all the major antagonists.

Super No Vacancy posted:

is bow and arrowing robots as satisfying as headshot arrowing bros in tomb raider

Bow and arrowing robots is really fun. The low point of the game is bow-and-arrowing humans which, while not terrible, just isn't as fun as fighting robots.

exquisite tea posted:

Is there a NG+ and/or hardcore mode?

There is not. Finishing the game lets you resume before the last boss fight. You can customize the hud and the game is designed in such a way that you can play with a minimal hud, but no hardcore mode.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
Will Horizon be the best game of 2017?

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Is Brom's scene a weird outlier?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

fridge corn posted:

Will Horizon be the best game of 2017?

That depends, isn't Hatoful Boyfriend 2 supposed to be out later this year?