Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax
So this girl and her friends are those type of retards that sneak up tall things and sit on the edge of ledges or whatever and take photos of themselves.

How loving Chinese can you get this photo?

"Hmm, what's on Weixin."

Edit:

It's thing with her:
http://www.selfiehashtag.com/SelfieMediaInfo/1370435785488512225_4051445607

http://www.selfiehashtag.com/SelfieMediaInfo/1376854361439148904_4051445607

Her profile through an instagram compiler:
http://www.selfiehashtag.com/SelfieUserMedia/4051445607

Haier fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Feb 20, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

Seems like the kind of thing young people do in lots of countries. Especially Russia. Doesn't make any less dumb though.

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

Pretty incredible photo tbh

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es
i am terrified of heights so now I wan to bang this random chinese girl who is so much braver than I

*100% no sarcasm

edit : this is awesome:

http://www.selfiehashtag.com/SelfieMediaInfo/1405078035019293225_4051445607

ladron fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Feb 20, 2017

FUCK SNEEP
Apr 21, 2007

Haier posted:

So this girl and her friends are those type of retards that sneak up tall things and sit on the edge of ledges or whatever and take photos of themselves.

"Hmm, what's on Weixin."

Edit:

It's thing with her:

That's pretty cool

mrbotus
Apr 7, 2009

Patron of the Pants
I remember a series of photos of white kids doing the same thing in Shanghai.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Oh sure I'll just climb this 100 foot spire of Chinese-made and Chinese-poured concrete... better hope they bothered to put rebar in it :rip:

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Haier posted:

"Hmm, what's on Weixin."

Edit:

It's thing with her:

Assassin's Creed: Beijing Edition

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax

Automatic Slim posted:

Seems like the kind of thing young people do in lots of countries. Especially Russia. Doesn't make any less dumb though.
It's not so much what they're doing (the Russians are kings of these kinds of photos/videos), but the "take a photo of me using my phone" thing is something I see a lot here. Like, I see it enough daily that it bugs me because it's the epitome of how people in China spend 90% of their waking moments. It's such a dumb mundane thing, yet everyone here has photos of themselves using their phones for some reason. Sitting a restaurant with food in front of them while using a phone. Sitting on a bike in a park using their phone. Airplane and phone. Beach and phone. Etc. Etc. It might be a meme, but I don't think it is because of how real and normal it is. People are just so much on their phones that that is the easiest way to get a photo of them somewhere. It just makes me wonder whatever happened to "cheese"?

I know this girl is trying to do the whole "nonchalant dangerous activity" gimmick, but it just reminded me of everyone else here and their god damned phone addiction.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
Mirror's Edge viral marketing.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

All teens love their phones but it seems extra extreme with chinese teens. Any time I'm out at a restaurant that has a lot of chinese teens they'll be 100% glued to their phones, sometimes holding their phone in one hand and eating with the others, rarely talking to each other, often watching loving videos with sound on maximum. With the chinese teens it's like 90% phone time 10% other, and other teens it's maybe 50/50 at worst.

kimcicle
Feb 23, 2003

Grand Fromage posted:

They're not Korean. If you're not born and raised there you're not one of them, no matter how much you want to be. Some were mixed race also which made it even worse. As a honkey you kind of expect to be treated as an outsider but if you're Korean and go to Korea to find your roots and hit that same wall, it's much worse. I had a couple friends who were Korean mom/American dad and they had all kinds of stories of being told how their moms were whores and it was a shame they weren't taught proper Korean culture and oh your Korean is so bad, you don't belong here.

This is not as true for adoptees, there's a "it's not your fault" vibe there and they tend to be accepted more in my experience.

Gonna elaborate on this from a few pages back.

For a lot of Korean-Americans that don't grow up in a major metropolitan area with a considerable Korean population, it kinda sucks being the only (or one of a handful) of Asian students in a class. You're easily identifiable and stick out like a sore thumb. For a lot of these kids there is a long period where you just long to 'belong' rather than embracing your differences. Therefore you think 'man things would be better if I grew up in Korea' (which is really further from the truth but a young kid's mind who's been bullied for the last six months because their eyes are 'too chinky' you start grasphing at straws). So the plan is hatched. Go back to the motherland, get in touch with your 'roots' and find yourself (or some poo poo). Find a place where you belong.

But wait, you are a product of your environment, and your background in living in a country that isn't Korea shows! Your Korean is crap! You don't know / understand the goddamn complex array of social customs that are ingrained in most Koreans from the moment they can talk! You don't stick out as long as your pie hole stays shut, but the moment you do something awkward people will think you're retarded; when you say something poorly they usually figure out you're a gyopo instead.

I've met one too many kids from America who came to Korea and put all there eggs in one basket, only to get rejected by how -hard- it is to integrate into Korean culture outside of a school setting. It's kinda sad, but really, it's all about the expectations you set when you embark on this journey. People that are looking for some background and insight as to why their parents are so weird compared to their friend's parents leave at least a little bit satisfied. People that are looking for acceptance and instant integration into a homogeneous culture they haven't participated in usually leave bitter.

That said, everybody's experience in Korea will be different. I had a loving blast in Korea on my self-imposed 'find myself' sabbatical; accepting that I was a 'gyopo' from day one and having very low expectations of integration with Korean culture helps a lot. College-town areas with younger populations tend to be more accepting and accommodating.

Also Korean MILs are loving crazy and I have no clue how I found the one that isn't nuts. My mom is the crazy Korean MIL in my relationship and I feel like my wife puts up with a lot of poo poo on the regular.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

It's interesting how that can vary by culture/region so much. I've heard lots of good stories of black americans deciding to move to an (english speaking) part of africa and feeling super welcomed and happy there despite huge cultural differences.

I think in countries where race=culture=language=race it's confusing or even enraging when someone doesn't fit. It's ok to be a white american who doesn't speak perfect korean or isn't an expert in korean culture because that is the correct and normal way for an american to be. But someone who's "genetically korean" but doesn't speak the language or understand the culture perfectly is shameful and incorrect.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Black Americans typically differ from any other ethnic minority in that they did not come to America by choice. Many times they are welcomed back home because it's akin to a kidnapping victim being returned to their family.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Mr. Nice! posted:

Black Americans typically differ from any other ethnic minority in that they did not come to America by choice. Many times they are welcomed back home because it's akin to a kidnapping victim being returned to their family.

Is that a guess or is this actually a thing?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Outrail posted:

Is that a guess or is this actually a thing?

I'm trying to find the most recent article I read about it, but it is a thing. I'm not saying people get welcomed with open arms everywhere they go, but there is certainly a different reaction than anywhere else.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

LentThem posted:

based on the above i think your zero-percent assessment is incorrect :colbert:

From what I can tell she doesn't really have much in the way of financial say around the house as she would likely accidentally spend it all and since I am here, on me. But good on the UIL for taking care and loving her.

I can only be told to look both ways when crossing the road then dragged across. I can only be told so many times not to be pick pocketed. I can only be told things that are incredibly obvious(Yes that is a tree/waterfall) that even has an information placard in front of it. I can only be given so many Google map locations without explanation as to what's there. I can only be given so much incomplete information even when asked for more.

I other words she is killing me with kindness. I feel bad for not playing along but drat it I want to make some decisions of some sort even if it is just me choosing when to cross the road or me reading the information placard without her pointing out that yes that is indeed a tree.

Now for the other half of yesterday. Where were we...

Yes, riding back down the mountain from the Peak because the line to the tram was too long. We end up back at central and was asked whether I wanted to visit the old but working post office, me not feeling super asked to skip it.

We pass by a famous bakery of sorts which look like something from the 1950-60 with the original baking trays black from 10000 days in an oven. Absolutely delicious, even better that does amazing $3 Pineapple bun I stumbled upon in Prince Edward. I didn't catch the price but it couldn't have been much. I ended up with a pineapple bun and a sausage bun. The sausage bun is extra nice as it has the proper sausage instead of the awful bright Red sausages found in NZ.

We pass by several markets until we hit the Tesla dealership. It was pretty neat. I admired the engineering behind it spending most of the time looking at the chassis while everyone else was oh and ah the exterior/interior. I exit first to wait for them to finish. UIL comes out even more animated than usual as he goes on about the price of cars and what not. I lose track as he is naturally talking about prices exceeding 10K as I have to convert that into the 3 digit numbering system then convert that again into NZD to have a point of reference. But he was enjoying it.

We move on to this place to eat noodles of all sorts. that had a Red and Yellow sign with 4 characters in a square that I couldn't read which was obviously a chain store. Thinking about it now it might have been related to the Stephen Chow movie I ask for a simple traditional Wonton noodle with soy milk. He brings back a everything bowl that has fish and beef balls, wontons and reconstituted fish strips wrapped in a soy skin. I tried everything but I didn't like the fish stripes. I can't describe it but I just didn't like it. I give the rest of the food the old collage try, but I just couldn't do it stopping at about halfway. I apologise for not finishing. The rest of the food tasted ok but other than the IMO bad fish strips. I imagine a street side stall could have served better.

As we go he points out this restaurant that has been operating for at least 40 years, a titbit of history and hiw he went there when he was a kid. There is a fair bit of this as we go around central so I am guessing he might have had grown up around there. Other than the sign which is immaculate and well lit. The restaurant itself looks like a dump in places mostly on the outside because that works for them, so like half of Hong Kong. The other half also looks like a dump on the inside.

We go into the Wan Chai computer centre(The third big computer complex). It is bad and not worth the effort to actually shop there. He quickly tells me with me that things are more expensive here and I agreed. There are things they have more of or have better stock like drones and camera equipment but for everything else it is a bust as they are more expensive.

We hop on the Trams for a bit but we give up as he tells me that this is going to take too long. They average a little over walking speed so they are pretty much ridden for shits and giggles. They are very cheap though and if you aren't in a hurry a alright form of transport if you can put up with the noise(Much improved from before) and the shaking.

We get off and have another walk past some more markets. We get to the minibus station. I am not sure how the organization works. There is a guy sitting in a kiosk but doesn't deal with passengers and only seems to be there to deal with the scheduling the buses. The driver himself is a fixture as I can see from the license/franchise he has been doing this since his 20's and is now 50. Minibuses have somewhat improved over the years. They now have nicer seats with seatbelts and moveable armrest. They now take Octopus cards and coins. It also has a speedometer on display with giant words saying the bus is restricted to no more than 80Kph like some sort of reversed Speed.

The ride itself hasn't improved one bit as it vibrates, bounces, and otherwise make life difficult if you want to stay still in your seat. But it will get you there to those middle of nowhere and take you to them. But we aren't going nowhere, we are going to Stanley Bay.

Stanley Bay has 6 points of interests.

1. The H and M is build within a historical building (Murray House)that was taken apart, put into storage and then reassembled as the land it sat on in Central was tasked for new development. There are also ghosts, lots of ghost so I have been told, specifically the stairs.

2. The Royal/Blake pier which was originally at Central where it served as a landing point for Governors and royal dignitaries and the public. It originally didn't have any sort of roof. After going through a few iterations it finally settled on the Edwardian Iron roof we see today. When the original pier was demolished having been superseded by the Queens Pier. The roof got moved to a park in Wong Tai Sin(The place with the chokingly think incense smoke) where it would serve for decades until finally moved to where it is today.

3. The tourist trap. Has douche cafes and poo poo. Don't buy things here as you can get better prices, however there are items here that can't be found anywhere else like unique paintings/crafts and the (now) slightly racist Tin Tin book covers including The Blue Lotus. There is also a cat and I was told it was 15+ years old but if it was it didn't show it and it happily enjoyed the attention. I like cats.

4. There is a temple nearby but we didn't go as even my aunt could tell I wasn't looking great. I also told her I didn't want to go there so it was hard to miss.

5. Hong Kong's oldest police station that now a supermarket run by Wellcome. Because of it's historical status while they were granted permission to use the premisses they were to not to modify the building in anyway, not even a thumb tack. It was the Japanese HQ during WW2.

6. The history of the bay itself. The area stretches all the way back to the Ming Dynasty records as one of the oldest settlements in the Hong Kong. Under British rule in the 1840's a garrison was established. Pirates attacks were of such a problem that batteries were established to defend Hong Kong. In the 1930's guns were added to the bay itself in order to guard the south of Hong Kong. It was also the place where the last stand against the Japanese was made in the Battle of Hong Kong.

We leave via minibus back to Central, then take the bus to Mong Kok passing through the Cross Harbour tunnel.

We have dinner with Yi Po who again cooks a feast (She has a maid so she doesn't have to clean)for everyone and I don't know half the people there. Some old favourites come up which I eat and enjoy what I could. I ask Yi Po if she still wanted the Honey I gave her as she said that she didn't want it as she couldn't use it and it would be better served by me giving it to someone else. I make sure she is super green about this. She is a great lady.

We go pick up the suit we ordered the previous day, UIL argue with the seamstress over ties.

I stumble home to shitpost(Ha!) the first half.

Now for today.

I stumble into the wrong restaurant thinking they sold Pig Intestines Noodles because the have the picture of it in the front. I get helpfully told where it is. It is not what I was expecting so I move on to a bit of shopping. I get a 9 pack of lemon tea as they are on special, I pay for it and as I was putting it into my backpack where I find the jar of Honey I took back last night. I am annoyed that I forgot about it but have to head back up anyway to carry the tea home.

I discover that I have also forgotten to take the remains of the "Best duck" to the trash when I first headed out for the day. I make a mental note to throw it away after dealing with the lemon tea and Honey. I get my duffel bag in preparation for my final big shopping trip for computer parts and all the I love Hong Kong T-shirts I need.

I head to Plaza Hollywood to get some after 12 breakfast at a place called Toast Box(?). I get the French toast with a Cold Horlicks but the cashier throws me off when she asks me about how I wanted my eggs and syrup. I can understand them as they have hi a hole in my vocabulary. I tell them just whatever which makes them as perplexed as me. They finally pick up I am from out of town a little before I tell them completing the order. In typical fashion the Cold Horlicks is an Iced Horlicks in the sense that yes it has ice but they then poured the hot drink into it instead of having a cold one on hand, this amuses me. I finish the meal without further incident.

I get to the MTR then kick myself for forgetting to throw away the food. It's too late now, I will deal with it when I get back home.

I get back to the stall in the ladies market where I had gotten the first 5 shirts and ask for a better price above of the $100 for 5. She offers them for $15 for buying 15. I get 20 to round the number out to $300. That is enough for all the important people at the Badminton club. I throw all this into the duffel bag I brought along for the purpose.

I then head to the Wonder Building where I find the missing shop that sold the USB cables I wanted but had forgotten the location to. I am not surprised that I did make the mistake as the Golden Computer Arcade and the Wonder building are across the street from each other and looks the same on the inside. I try to bargain down the price but she doesn't budge not even for buying 4 or rounding it by a couple dollars. I buy bunch of cables as I know I won't find stuff like this in New Zealand for such a reasonable price ever again.

I go back to the Golden Computer Arcade to get my 4TB HDD and CPU cooler. I end up with a Seagate for about $900 HKD. I am sure someone has an opinion on which brand etc.

I also have a look at the Master Cooler T4 but everybody that I saw was offering a more expensive price than Newegg which is quite rare. I hop on to the party line with some 7 days to die friends who are building this massive base on a server in my absence who like my updates. I end up getting a Deep Cool S40 which I had spotted in one of my previous trips to scout out my purchases. I ask for a discount and they slice off $5 from $170. I ask if they would offer a further discount if I buy 2, they say no. I am not disappointed by this as the item was already on special and it meets my needs. The T4 would have been awesome though.

Before I leave I make an offer to my friends back in NZ to make purchases for them if they are looking for cheap parts. One speaks up and asked for RAM. So I did a walk around giving him RAM prices and specs. We eventually find the price and specs we want but I forgot where the store with the item was. I stumble around for 30 minutes with the loaded duffel bag of 20 T-shirts and parts before I finally find it again. I ask the shop for the item. The owner pulls out a small open top box that have a couple of sticks of RAM that no one has asked for in a while. He is out of the Kingston Hyper X DDR3 1600 CL10 8GBx2 at $900, but he does have Hyper X at 2133 CL11 8GBx2 for $950, he also has the top of the line for DDR3 2400 "Predators for $1050.

I pass on the information and try to negotiate the price of the $950 set to $900. Nope. I know at $950 that he was getting an upgrade over every other shop as they were selling the same thing elsewhere for $1000+ and he was only going to pay $50 over the inferior RAM had they had it. As I was convincing my friend the shop owner "Helpfully" wrote down a note telling me the Predator was the "Highest Performer", thanks I guess? We ended up buying the $950 as there were no gains to be had with the $1050.

With that I head out to eat dinner. My hunger sensor is broken but I know I need more food. So I head to Spaghetti House in Mong Kok which was a childhood favourite. It was rather empty with the second floor empty and unset. The only other person there who arrived before me was a true Goon Lord looking about 3 times my volume, glasses and poor skin.

I decided against the Spaghetti Bolognese as that was a little too on the nose and I could taste that again having the Bolognese on chips instead. It tasted exactly the same as when I was a kid which was almost unbelievable as you would expect some level of drift over the years. I had the Ice Lemon tea which was a Cold Ice lemon tea that came with that little jug of sugar syrup so you can sweeten to taste. There was the Creme of Mushroom soup which was pretty alright. The mains was the Creme Lasagna with Mushrooms and Chicken, every rich and generally pretty enjoyable. Everything was a little over priced at $170 for a restaurant under the Cafe-de-Coral company, but it was a good visit on the memories alone.

The restaurant did get more customers but it didn't go beyond 1/3 of the first floor full when I left. I guess being a weekday really kills business or that Spaghetti House is in trouble.

I decided to take the bus home instead today just so I did it and can make a comparison. The MTR is better if you want something fast, and you are willing to go up and down or potentially have to pack i like Sardines on rush hour.

Buses on the other hand are great if you know the schedule of which I did not. I must have missed the bus as I ended up waiting the 15 minutes Google told be that the bus cycle runs at. So I sucked in a lot of fumes as I waited. The ride smoothness is somewhere between the MTRs smoothness and the minibuses mad dash. But you get to relax on some nice-ish seats. It is not the fastest way to get where you are going but it is pleasant and you get to see the city from the upper deck. I am going to take the bus more because why not.

If there was a Work to Rule strike I didn't really notice it during the day or really when I rode it. They did seem to creep up to the stop a bit more, but that is just likely in my head.

Tinder / Tan Tan update. Tan Tan is a bust as I can't really communicate with them as the level of English use is much lower and sending voice messages just isn't practical most of the time. I will give it another day, but it just doesn't seem to be on my wavelength.

Tinder is starting to bare fruit as I now have a contact who has moved us on to Whatsapp. She doesn't want to gently caress, at least on the "fd with benefits" level but I left the option open should she wish to. She pointed me to LFK which is a pretty strong hint I should go with her there. I will talk to her more later, but having a potential new friend is nice.

She also didn't ask me what my job nor I hers is which is good because people are not their jobs which has been asked within the first 3 sentences by most other people.

We did the "What are you doing thing" where you say you say you are doing what you are doing that exact second ie typing on phone talking to you, but this time played for laughs compared to Haier and others who gets it as a nonsense response.

Baronjutter posted:

It's interesting how that can vary by culture/region so much. I've heard lots of good stories of black americans deciding to move to an (english speaking) part of africa and feeling super welcomed and happy there despite huge cultural differences.

I think in countries where race=culture=language=race it's confusing or even enraging when someone doesn't fit. It's ok to be a white american who doesn't speak perfect korean or isn't an expert in korean culture because that is the correct and normal way for an american to be. But someone who's "genetically korean" but doesn't speak the language or understand the culture perfectly is shameful and incorrect.
As far as I can tell Hong Kongers don't give too much of a gently caress about it. They accepted my White Brother in Law with open arms. As for me I likely stand out more than he does as saddle both cultures. I can obey and break rules of both cultures as I require for most part. I can play the native and/or the foreigner. I do some of the negatives from both like having significant holes in my Cantonese along with my illiteracy and I would inadvertently break the rules when I rather belong during that time or wander into the wrong place.

Hong Kong culture is creeping in and I am increasingly aware of it so the strangeness is easier to cover up.

I hope you guys like this massive write up.

I am going to the doctors tomorrow as this is just not going right. I am going to end up cancelling the trip to the big Buddha with the UIL and Aunt at this rate as I just can't go out like this for that length of time as the lower half of me is just not working. Any additional advice?

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
Immodium.

kimcicle
Feb 23, 2003

In a case of good news, bad news: S. Korea's antibiotic use down in 2015 (Finally learning that throwing antibiotics at everything isn't the ideal solution) ... still highest among OECD countries (welp gently caress)

http://english.yonhapnews.co.kr/national/2017/02/20/0302000000AEN20170220002800315.html

According to the ministry, the country's antibiotic use was tallied at 31.1 defined daily dose (DDD) per 1,000 people, meaning 31.1 out of 1,000 people were prescribed antibiotics a day... Among OECD countries, Sweden and Estonia prescribed antibiotics the least, with 13.9 DDD and 14.1 DDD, respectively, which are less than half of South Korea's antibiotic use.

I wonder how much higher this number is for China.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Jesus we need UN sactioned police action and smart bombing pharmacies and doctor's offices over-prescribing antibiotics. You idiots are going to kill millions.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

kimcicle posted:

In a case of good news, bad news: S. Korea's antibiotic use down in 2015 (Finally learning that throwing antibiotics at everything isn't the ideal solution) ... still highest among OECD countries (welp gently caress)

http://english.yonhapnews.co.kr/national/2017/02/20/0302000000AEN20170220002800315.html

According to the ministry, the country's antibiotic use was tallied at 31.1 defined daily dose (DDD) per 1,000 people, meaning 31.1 out of 1,000 people were prescribed antibiotics a day... Among OECD countries, Sweden and Estonia prescribed antibiotics the least, with 13.9 DDD and 14.1 DDD, respectively, which are less than half of South Korea's antibiotic use.

I wonder how much higher this number is for China.

Humans consume more antibiotics than livestock in China. Antibiotics are dosed by weight and there has to be at least ten times the animal mass as human mass in China. Maybe 100.

LentThem
Aug 31, 2004

90% Retractible

oohhboy posted:

Tinder / Tan Tan update. Tan Tan is a bust as I can't really communicate with them as the level of English use is much lower and sending voice messages just isn't practical most of the time. I will give it another day, but it just doesn't seem to be on my wavelength.

Tinder is starting to bare fruit as I now have a contact who has moved us on to Whatsapp. She doesn't want to gently caress, at least on the "fd with benefits" level but I left the option open should she wish to. She pointed me to LFK which is a pretty strong hint I should go with her there. I will talk to her more later, but having a potential new friend is nice.

Your profile is probably too long

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

LentThem posted:

Your profile is probably too long

LOL no, probaly. Tinder has 26 words of average length with a single word that had a double meaning. Tan Tan is just shameless which is basically "Leaving soon, lets gently caress". I am just going to dump my language level with bad sentences.

Outrail posted:

Immodium.

I will give it a shot.

Oh gently caress, gently caress gently caress gently caress the Aunt is coming. I was hoping the UIL was going to call me about it but she is coming. I hope she has brought the UIL so I can try to have him take control.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
man if you're there for holiday or vacation or whatever stop worrying about stuff and just enjoy being in Hong Kong dude

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I can be a really fussy and nervous traveler but holy poo poo, calm down, chill, enjoy.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
You haven't been reading the posts have you? Hopefully I can avoid her good intentions misadventures.

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Text BEEP to 43527 for the dancing robot!
Pillbug
Oral rehydration salts will also help, oohhboy. Sodium citrate based mixtures are a pretty common treatment for dehydration (most pharmacies carry them) and will help you not suffer too badly from Mad poo poo Butt. Once you start retaining water you'll be passing less terrifying porcelain pressure washer time in agony and more time eating the food that causes it.

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax
I'm the hordes of guys wearing pants folded, cut, or sewed to be about 20-25cm higher than our ankles, so we can look like an adult wearing children's clothes and show off that we are not wearing socks with our shoes.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Looks like Ian going to be a winner today. Other than being too nosy which I defy dealt with we are at the doctors and if things go wrong for the rest of the day I don't care.

Amergin
Jan 29, 2013

THE SOUND A WET FART MAKES
Took just over a month for our brand new apartment (renting, but the apartment itself is new) to get mold growing on the painted concrete outside our master bathroom.

Now I get to sleep in mold inside and walk in cigarette smoke outside. :allears:

Fojar38
Sep 2, 2011

Sorry I meant to say I hope that the police use maximum force and kill or maim a bunch of innocent people, thus paving a way for a proletarian uprising and socialist utopia

also here's a stupid take
---------------------------->

Baronjutter posted:

Jesus we need UN sactioned police action and smart bombing pharmacies and doctor's offices over-prescribing antibiotics. You idiots are going to kill millions.

the larger problem is agricultural use

the chinese give colostin to pigs

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax

Amergin posted:

Took just over a month for our brand new apartment (renting, but the apartment itself is new) to get mold growing on the painted concrete outside our master bathroom.

Now I get to sleep in mold inside and walk in cigarette smoke outside. :allears:
There was probably always mold there even during building, and they just painted over it. Every house in China is a black mold trap that's been painted over. They don't understand what it is, or that it is unhealthy. It's just an unsightly thing.
On top of this, it's common to go to someone's house and see that they wash their dishes with moldy sponges they've been using for 6-12 months, or wipe the place down with moldy oily rags.

The only place to find bleach is in the laundry aisle, because they don't know it has other uses. I have never met someone who actually uses more than water to clean their house.

EDIT: I just realized I have seen probably 90% of the people wash dishes without soap, too. They use the sponge (or a wet rag) to absorb and smear the oil. They use cold water to wash everything, and to clean chopsticks they rub them together rapidly. It's loving disgusting.

Haier fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Feb 21, 2017

LentThem
Aug 31, 2004

90% Retractible

Haier posted:

I'm the hordes of guys wearing pants folded, cut, or sewed to be about 20-25cm higher than our ankles, so we can look like an adult wearing children's clothes and show off that we are not wearing socks with our shoes.

Related to this, I'm amazed at how many people (men and women) keep their ankles exposed in 5c weather. Like big puffy coats and leather pants with long underwear, but then cuffed pants or low shoes without socks so the ankles are bare.

I imagine there's a TCM reason for it

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Haier posted:

EDIT: I just realized I have seen probably 90% of the people wash dishes without soap, too. They use the sponge (or a wet rag) to absorb and smear the oil. They use cold water to wash everything, and to clean chopsticks they rub them together rapidly. It's loving disgusting.

The one time hot water truly would be good for healthy...

Amergin
Jan 29, 2013

THE SOUND A WET FART MAKES

Haier posted:

There was probably always mold there even during building, and they just painted over it. Every house in China is a black mold trap that's been painted over. They don't understand what it is, or that it is unhealthy. It's just an unsightly thing.
On top of this, it's common to go to someone's house and see that they wash their dishes with moldy sponges they've been using for 6-12 months, or wipe the place down with moldy oily rags.

The only place to find bleach is in the laundry aisle, because they don't know it has other uses.

Since I have never had to deal with this problem before, I have to ask...

Do I just spray/wipe bleach on the paint and floorboards/gaps where the floorboards peeled away from the walls?

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
I'm by no means a neat-freak or a germaphobe, but I liked that my kitchen in China was completely covered in tile everywhere since it meant I had no trouble washing the whole thing down with bleach when I cleaned it.

Speaking of my tile kitchen I once extinguished an oil fire in a wok when I was drunk by sloshing the burning oil out onto the tile. Somehow I figured the oil would cool off enough once it hit the tile. I poured the last of it into the toilet and it hosed up part of the toilet seat.

I remember seeing in slow motion as the burning oil splashed onto the propane tank in the kitchen, but fortunately it did not explode.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
Do they still do the healthy cleaning of the saucer, bowl, spoon, cup, and chopsticks before every meal at restaurants with tea?

I was told it was to clean 'the dust.'

They would also do it at places where your table setting came cleaned and shrink wrapped.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Haier posted:

Aren't they just wearing really short ankle socks?

Shoes without socks leads to nasty sweaty shoes. I never wore socks with my old converse sneakers when I was young, but it didn't matter too much because converse are such lovely quality shoes that the sole would wear out before they got too manky.

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

Haier posted:

I hate socks, and now that I live in a tropical climate and never have to wear them, I never do. Just sweet sweet foot stank

kimcicle posted:

gyopo stuff

thanks for adding your side. A lot of what you said I had heard before, especially the part about koreans acting like you are retarded for not speaking korean...I knew a few adoptees who were really pissed about being adopted and having the culture and identity stolen or whatever. I never said it, but I was always like if you had grown up here in korea, your life no doubt would have been like infinitely worse, so maybe look at it that way...I mewan, not my place to tell you what does/doesn't hurt, but growing up in the most powerful nation in the world and having tons of opportunities kinda beats being a rock farmer and making GBS threads in fields your whole life, but what do I know

oohhboy posted:

insane poo poo

dude, no offense, but you for real need to take a loving break

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

Assassin's Creed: Beijing Edition

Isn't that already a thing though? Not modern Beijing, though - I haven't been keeping track of AC but I don't think they went beyond the Industrial Revolution.

• Locked thread