Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Who is Sakki again? The one Kurtz reminded hikari of.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

There Bias Two posted:

Who is Sakki again? The one Kurtz reminded hikari of.

That's Hikari's nickname for Sakie.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Tarezax posted:

That's Hikari's nickname for Sakie.

Ah, then I'm guessing he's either an Incubus himself, or gay, based off the conversation Sakie had with the detective.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Why not both?

Explosions
Apr 20, 2015

A) Within the central metaphor of the series, being a succubus correlates to PTSD or anxiety disorders.

B) The detective specifically states that her powers work on any straight male without exception.

C) Sakie doesn't have a relationship with her father anymore.

D) :(

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

jfc

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

El Burbo posted:

Why not both?

He has no effects on the other girls, so he's definitely not an incubus.

AfroSquirrel
Sep 3, 2011

Nitrousoxide posted:

He has no effects on the other girls, so he's definitely not an incubus.

Aside from every girl staring at him whenever has was walking through the halls? And him giving off the same impression as Succu-sensei?

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

AfroSquirrel posted:

Aside from every girl staring at him whenever has was walking through the halls? And him giving off the same impression as Succu-sensei?

Oh yeah, they look simply smitten.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Guys were staring at him too. Because he's a foreigner wearing a uniform that's slightly different

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Nitrousoxide posted:

Especially Yuki, you can really tell that she's feeling it there. :v:

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!
I can't believe how quickly Kurtz became my favorite character.

https://my.mixtape.moe/mrdsrz.webm

Nitrousoxide posted:

My favorite thing about this picture is that the old Yuki probably would have reacted with timid nervousness. Now she's confident enough to be incredulous instead.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

It more likely he's something like a shape shifter or doppelganger that can give off the impression of being someone he's touched.

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!

Sakurazuka posted:

It more likely he's something like a shape shifter or doppelganger that can give off the impression of being someone he's touched.

The EVA reference when Ugaki called him their weapon might mean that he's a robot or a golem.

Overlord K
Jun 14, 2009
Are there even any confirmed male demi in this series? That'd be pretty cool if there were, even if the show focuses on the gals.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Overlord K posted:

Are there even any confirmed male demi in this series? That'd be pretty cool if there were, even if the show focuses on the gals.

None in the manga so far.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Nitrousoxide posted:

None in the manga so far.

How far behind are translations or are they up to date?

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009
They are at basically the same point as the translations right now IIRC. Most people assume Kurst is a demi, probably incubus, and also that he is a boy but we don't know for sure in either case.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Xelkelvos posted:

How far behind are translations or are they up to date?

At least 9 chapters behind.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

At the rate it's getting adapted, the show will actually probably go past of the latest English translated chapters

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord
I didn't really like this episode or the new characters. It's really weird that Succubi have to be monitored by the police, and the plot and dialogue felt awkward. They didn't sell Sakie's connection to the detective at all.

I wish there were a dude Demi so that the show could explore more plot lines than "older man helps younger Demi woman."

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

brainwrinkle posted:

I didn't really like this episode or the new characters. It's really weird that Succubi have to be monitored by the police, and the plot and dialogue felt awkward. They didn't sell Sakie's connection to the detective at all.

I wish there were a dude Demi so that the show could explore more plot lines than "older man helps younger Demi woman."

Uh, when there are people who have the power to cause infatuation in people if they so much as breathe on them funny, of course the government has a strong interest in knowing what they're up to. Imagine if a succubus started some kind of cult or something, or turned to blackmailing people. There's massive potential for abuse of a very powerful ability that the succubi themselves seem to have very limited control over.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
The bits with Ugaki and Kurt in the manga didn't really gel with me right away either. Sorta felt like I was missing out on later chapters where their connection to the rest of the cast could be fleshed out.

That said, the conversation between Ugaki and Takanashi was sort of fun, as well as the joke with Hikari afterwards.

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord
Weird in the sense of distasteful, not illogical. The whole hypothetical train groping scenario was gross, and the "solution" of low-key surveillance/profiling isn't any better.

I understand that the intent was to show another way that Demis have it different in society. It felt regressive. I hate the idea of the detective as a father figure for Sakie because he is literally the TSA agent assigned to profile her. The last thing this show needs is another overly familiar father figure, let alone one who represents a society that fears you!

I've been enjoying the show so far, but this episode really blew it. If it gave a better backstory into Sakie's relationship with the detective, maybe it could have worked.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib
I was pretty uncomfortable with this episode as well. I was pretty put off by the world building with the police monitoring the Succubi. It's too similar to real world racial profiling, except officially governmentally sanctioned.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

brainwrinkle posted:

Weird in the sense of distasteful, not illogical. The whole hypothetical train groping scenario was gross, and the "solution" of low-key surveillance/profiling isn't any better.

I understand that the intent was to show another way that Demis have it different in society. It felt regressive. I hate the idea of the detective as a father figure for Sakie because he is literally the TSA agent assigned to profile her. The last thing this show needs is another overly familiar father figure, let alone one who represents a society that fears you!

I've been enjoying the show so far, but this episode really blew it. If it gave a better backstory into Sakie's relationship with the detective, maybe it could have worked.

The entire point, which was directly stated in the show, is that is a bad system. It's good that the new generation of Demis aren't having the problems of the previous generations, and are integrating into society.

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord
I remember them calling it "not a good system" but not directly bad. And the detective said that it's his one job function that would never be replaced.

I think the younger girls are not affected because they are not Succubi. The system seems to be going strong otherwise, with them preparing a perfect counter.

Seriously why didn't they just have a woman police officer do the Succubus work.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

It's made more clear in the manga, but women aren't immune to succubi either.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

brainwrinkle posted:

I remember them calling it "not a good system" but not directly bad. And the detective said that it's his one job function that would never be replaced.

Struck me more like he thought of it as the best solution available to a bad problem so there wasn't really a choice. Still dubious, but not... judgmental, I guess. I'd buy it if it was positioned more as counseling than monitoring, since succubus seems to be the type most likely to do a number on your self-image one way or another (Kusakabe notwithstanding) since it's the one that corresponds to social dysfunction/anxiety. There's also an element of "we can now cast legitimate doubt on whether a woman was 'asking for' molestation" and this particular plot point isn't a great handling of that.

And yeah I'm also a bit leery of the story doubling down on "older man helps vulnerable girl."

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I'm now really concerned about the Salem Witch trials in this universe.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

On the other hand, The French Revolution must have been hilarious.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
I just had a rather dark thought. The show mentions that demi-humans were once persecuted by superstitious humans, and now are quite rare. Does that imply that the reason why they're so rare is that they were nearly hunted to extinction, purged by fearful crowds of witch-burners and demon-hunters?

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

DrSunshine posted:

I just had a rather dark thought. The show mentions that demi-humans were once persecuted by superstitious humans, and now are quite rare. Does that imply that the reason why they're so rare is that they were nearly hunted to extinction, purged by fearful crowds of witch-burners and demon-hunters?

No, because the show also says Demi-ness isn't really hereditary.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

AnoHito posted:

No, because the show also says Demi-ness isn't really hereditary.

Further dark thought: how long do you think it took society to accept this, or have it as common knowledge?

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

DrSunshine posted:

I think they mean that the persecution is rare, not the demi-humans themselves.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Realistically if we extrapolate that we're only seeing things really starting to improve within the last hundred years it can lead to all kinds of dark thoughts and unfortunate implications that maybe we should restrain ourselves from thinking about from ruining a happy fluffy show about overcoming the pasts hardships and biases.

On the other hand the way Demi-human interrelations are portrayed have so much verisimilitude to them that it's also to the shows credit that our thoughts go there and are incredibly horrified.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
I'm glad that young man learned an important lesson about being hot for teacher.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
It's good.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
That whole exchange was a little weird.

Like the only way I can really justify it is "You shouldn't really fetishize a person's ethnicity." But I feel like this metaphor is lost in translation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

that's hosed up

• Locked thread