Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy
Modern OLEDs will blow any plasma out of the water. Plasma people are hosed in the head and belong with the gold plated audio cable people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

False
Oct 6, 2003
i have friends who will pull magazine models wearing headphones off of trains without even speaking the same language as them. Friends who will show up in a town after hitchhiking cross country for 3 days without showering and pull two girls working

Kaboobi posted:

Well I just got a bonus, my tax return, and the LG OLED55B6P dropped to $1400 and I won't pay any sales tax on it through Adorama. Guess I own a new TV now.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/391612997532

Whats the catch? Its $2,300 on Adorama's site (I live in NYC so I was curious if I could just go get one). Haven't bought a TV in 16 years so...kind of excited to be an adult and stop watching poo poo on my laptop.

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy

False posted:

Whats the catch? Its $2,300 on Adorama's site (I live in NYC so I was curious if I could just go get one). Haven't bought a TV in 16 years so...kind of excited to be an adult and stop watching poo poo on my laptop.
The catch is that the 2017 model is coming out soon so they're blowing through old stock. No idea why the crazy deals are always on eBay though. Maybe PayPal gives them a payback or something.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

The difference between 2016 and 2017 oled is negligible. 2016 oled is a safe buy.

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy
If you missed the Adorama deal it's available here for $100 more. Still an insane deal on an insane TV.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/LG-Electronics-OLED55B6P-Flat-55-Inch-4K-Ultra-HD-Smart-OLED-TV-/182179278948

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
My TV still works fine.

My TV still works fine.

My TV still works fine.

My TV still works fine.

My TV still works fine.

:gonk:

PraxxisParadoX
Jan 24, 2004
bittah.com
Pillbug

False posted:

Per last page, I grabbed one of these and it arrived in 2 days in perfect working order. So no catch that I've run into yet :)

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

FogHelmut posted:

According to TV people, plasma is magical tech with superior picture that we will never get again due to a conspiracy against having nice things.

I haven't seen a plasma since 2008 so I couldn't tell you how it compares side by side.

Bill Barber posted:

Modern OLEDs will blow any plasma out of the water. Plasma people are hosed in the head and belong with the gold plated audio cable people.

I think I'm going to end up going OLED towards the end of the year. Is Sony going to be the only OLED alternative to LG this year? Does that look like it's going to be worth the jump in price?

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
I think they're buying their panels from LG anyway, so who knows

hitachi
May 2, 2003

Hail to the King, baby
That same seller has the 65" LG OLED for $2,699.52. I assume it hasn't been much lower than that? Super tempting. My current TV is a 52" Samusung I bought 8 years ago. Not sure if going from 55 to 65 is worth the price difference though.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I'd rather have Android TV than LG's WebOS that is sending all your info to them, for what it's worth

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy

sirbeefalot posted:

My TV still works fine.

My TV still works fine.

My TV still works fine.

My TV still works fine.

My TV still works fine.

:gonk:
http://www.digitaltrends.com/tv-reviews/lg-oled55b6p-review/

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

hitachi posted:

That same seller has the 65" LG OLED for $2,699.52. I assume it hasn't been much lower than that? Super tempting. My current TV is a 52" Samusung I bought 8 years ago. Not sure if going from 55 to 65 is worth the price difference though.

We went from a 52" to a 65" and could never go back (also an 8 year old Samsung, an A650)

SplitScreenGamer
Feb 16, 2017

Bringing back the fun of local multiplayer gaming!
I'm still waiting for 4K projectors to cost less than a sports car...

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug

Bill Barber posted:

Lower end and even midrange plasmas cost considerably less than current OLED sets, and were available in more flexible sizes. I'm eagerly waiting for a flat OLED in 50-52" size bracket, that costs under a grand.

hitachi
May 2, 2003

Hail to the King, baby

Dogen posted:

We went from a 52" to a 65" and could never go back (also an 8 year old Samsung, an A650)

Yeah mine is a B750. What did you upgrade to?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

http://www.storenvy.com/products/19089448-samsung-ue65ku6100-65-smart-4k-ultra-hd-with-hdr-curved-tv-black

What's the catch here? Samsung UE65KU6100 65" Smart 4K Ultra HD with HDR Curved TV - Black for $450 with free shipping?

e. I'm seeing mostly listings in the UK. Is this a UK-only model that wouldn't work right in the US?

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Feb 20, 2017

Dogen
May 5, 2002

hitachi posted:

Yeah mine is a B750. What did you upgrade to?

65KS8000.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Bill Barber posted:

Uh... What? I'm guessing you don't actually own or have see a decent plasma.

I still have my 2008 Samsung 50" and the picture quality bests any LCD I've ever seen. They're fantastic TV's and that is not some "audiophile" level critique... It's pretty standard thought.

Now yes OLED is better. I wouldn't say it blows a good 1080 plasma set out of the water but it's definitely a step up. That's why plasma lovers like them and consider OLED the spiritual successor to plasma.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Before HDR, it wasn't all that questionable to prefer a plasma over even a 4k LCD.

Now though, with WCG and HDR, plasmas really can't compete anymore with upper level content.

They are still good displays for Blu-ray or cable, but it's worth it to step into the UHD world now. UHD content, even on an LCD, is an experience that plasma can't match.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

bull3964 posted:

Before HDR, it wasn't all that questionable to prefer a plasma over even a 4k LCD.

Now though, with WCG and HDR, plasmas really can't compete anymore with upper level content.

They are still good displays for Blu-ray or cable, but it's worth it to step into the UHD world now. UHD content, even on an LCD, is an experience that plasma can't match.

I agree only if you make sure you can take advantage of actual HDR content. UHD without it, while nice, isn't worth the upgrade.

And really, other than games, what consistent HDR content is there?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Netflix has around 150 hours of HDR content now. Most any new original should be HDR from now on.

Nearly all of Amazon's originals are HDR.

Amazon has a bunch of movies for sale with HDR.

Vudu has quite a bit of HDR content for movies as well.

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps

Leperflesh posted:

http://www.storenvy.com/products/19089448-samsung-ue65ku6100-65-smart-4k-ultra-hd-with-hdr-curved-tv-black

What's the catch here? Samsung UE65KU6100 65" Smart 4K Ultra HD with HDR Curved TV - Black for $450 with free shipping?

e. I'm seeing mostly listings in the UK. Is this a UK-only model that wouldn't work right in the US?

What's up with this website? It legit? I had a friend show me it last night and I wrote it off immeadiately

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy

89 posted:

What's up with this website? It legit? I had a friend show me it last night and I wrote it off immeadiately
90% of these shady looking websites with too good to be true deals will allow you to place an order, and then call you after and claim that the model you purchased is no longer available, or is a "UK/commercial only" model, and they'll offer to sell you the actual consumer/US model for like $600 more.

It's a pretty common thing and why you really should never trust a crazy TV deal unless it's eBay or Amazon.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

storeenvy seems to just be a meta-site, kinda like Etsy. The actual seller is "stuff2017forsale", some dude in the UK. Despite listing the item as free shipping in the US. I don't believe that's possible, just shipping this thing from the UK would cost hundreds of dollars. So yeah my scam bells went off. The fact this seller has 0 items sold and 0 feedback just underlines it.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Number_6 posted:

I'm eagerly waiting for a flat OLED in 50-52"

I am almost certain this is never happening.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

BonoMan posted:

Uh... What? I'm guessing you don't actually own or have see a decent plasma.

I still have my 2008 Samsung 50" and the picture quality bests any LCD I've ever seen. They're fantastic TV's and that is not some "audiophile" level critique... It's pretty standard thought.

Now yes OLED is better. I wouldn't say it blows a good 1080 plasma set out of the water but it's definitely a step up. That's why plasma lovers like them and consider OLED the spiritual successor to plasma.

My old Panasonic plasma is still limping along after a few repairs. No audiophile crap here either, it's just very well rounded with most content we want to view and handles sports/games exceptionally. So far the only real upgrade I've seen worth the money is the B6 line. My parents have the top end Samsung and I don't really care for it outside of the increased brightness.

I really like the B6 but I also want to see the Sony OLED before I buy anything.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I went to Best Buy to look at their $450 Sharp and Toshibas, the 4k 55" ones. A man convinced me that 60Hz 4k is bad because of motion blur so now I'm back to the drawing board.

I watch a lot of football so is he right, I need 120Hz in my 4k TV, and that's more important than HDR?

comper
Jun 22, 2006
My mom says I'm cool.

Leperflesh posted:

I went to Best Buy to look at their $450 Sharp and Toshibas, the 4k 55" ones. A man convinced me that 60Hz 4k is bad because of motion blur so now I'm back to the drawing board.

I watch a lot of football so is he right, I need 120Hz in my 4k TV, and that's more important than HDR?

Unfortunately if you want a native 120hz panel, you'll be looking at mainly sets that also have HDR as almost all budget and even some lower-midrange TVs all have native60hz panels. The manufacturers will advertise a "120 motion rate" but don't fall for that crap. Is it a necessity? No. What do you have now? If you're used to it then you'll be fine with the 60hz. I would recommend a 120hz panel, but anything with one (that's not an older/used model) will be probably at least twice your budget or more.

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

My LG OLEDB6 came in on Friday and I spent most of the weekend in a TV stupor, holy poo poo. That's a hell of an upgrade from a 9 year old Sharp TV. The smart TV apps (at least Plex, Netflix, and Amazon) are snappy enough where it's easier to use those than boot up the Xbone or PS4. The total lack of any display lag makes everything feel super sharp, and Rock Band is even a bit easier to play. I even found out a way for it to send the volume inputs from the TV to my Sonos Playbar, so I'm allll set. 100% satisfied. Now I just need a 4K blu-ray player, but I don't really need a new Xbox One.

Edit: if anyone else is a weirdo with an LG OLED and a Sonos Playbar and wants to use to the magic remote to control it, select Phillips Type 4 as the soundbar type and the controls will work perfectly.

The Gunslinger posted:

I really like the B6 but I also want to see the Sony OLED before I buy anything.

I believe LG is the only one making the OLED panels, so it'll look the same with a different UI/branding.

Kaboobi fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Feb 21, 2017

Animale
Sep 30, 2009
Plus the Sony OLEDs are going to be in their premium tier so they can do cool stuff like have no bezel and build the speakers into the screen so they'll be priced accordingly.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

comper posted:

Unfortunately if you want a native 120hz panel, you'll be looking at mainly sets that also have HDR as almost all budget and even some lower-midrange TVs all have native60hz panels. The manufacturers will advertise a "120 motion rate" but don't fall for that crap. Is it a necessity? No. What do you have now? If you're used to it then you'll be fine with the 60hz. I would recommend a 120hz panel, but anything with one (that's not an older/used model) will be probably at least twice your budget or more.

I have a 1080p 40 inch Samsung LN40C550. I've never noticed any motion blur on it at all.

General E
Aug 25, 2003

My 8-year-old TV is showing its age. I'm looking to upgrade to a 55" KS8000. I'm seeing $1500 as the going price for this TV, but I know it was down to around $1000 a couple of months ago. With new Samsung sets on the horizon, is it reasonable to assume another price drop/sale is coming? If so, what kind of time frame? I'm not in a rush or anything - I just don't want to buy when it will be hundreds cheaper 2 months later.

comper
Jun 22, 2006
My mom says I'm cool.

Leperflesh posted:

I have a 1080p 40 inch Samsung LN40C550. I've never noticed any motion blur on it at all.

Yeah unless you really want to up your budget just grab that 55" Hisense probably; it'll be a huge upgrade coming from an older 40" and since you're already accustomed to a 60hz TV and don't have any problems with it then I doubt you'd develop any issues with the new one.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

Kaboobi posted:

I believe LG is the only one making the OLED panels, so it'll look the same with a different UI/branding.

Yeah but it'll have Sony's picture processing which is industry leading. I don't mind paying a premium for something I buy infrequently, depends on how much of course.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
My dad decided to pull the trigger on a 65" LG OLED C6 without checking with me.

He got a good price, but isn't sure if he got the 2015 model or the 2016 model. I know there were some differences on the B6 version with HDR between the 2015 and 2016 versions, but are there any major differences between the years on the C6 model that I should be aware of?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Not sure where you got your info. All 6 series models are 2016 models.

Violator
May 15, 2003

My buddy noticed a dark spot forming in the center of his LED TV (LG47LN5400). He sent me a photo on the brightest colors he could find. It's hardly noticeable, but he is a bit concerned that it'll get worse. Any suggestion? My Google-fu hasn't returned much useful info yet.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

That's usually caused by layers of the TV (LCD, light spreader, backlight) starting to separate in some way. It may stay the same or it may get worse. There likely isn't an economical repair for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Violator
May 15, 2003

bull3964 posted:

That's usually caused by layers of the TV (LCD, light spreader, backlight) starting to separate in some way. It may stay the same or it may get worse. There likely isn't an economical repair for it.

Ah, thanks for the info.