Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Jedit posted:

Good Omens isn't a terrible choice.

No, but you know about broken clocks.
Also, LotR not even mentioned.
And while Abercrombie writes some good books, I would never put him on a top 10 of all time.

It is a list from someone who only seems to have read fantasy from like the last 10-15 years or so, with no sense of perspective.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Cardiac posted:

And while Abercrombie writes some good books, I would never put him on a top 10 of all time.

It is a list from someone who only seems to have read fantasy from like the last 10-15 years or so, with no sense of perspective.

Biggest crime is no Moorcock.

Burning Rain
Jul 17, 2006

What's happening?!?!

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

My favorite fantasy-lists-and-rankings site is http://greatsfandf.com/ because

1) it's obviously just one dude with very strong opinions
2) he especially has very strong opinions about what is and isn't "great" and/or "literature"
3) he's incredibly comprehensive and has rankings for a lot of really obscure authors
4) he writes little mini-essays for why each author ranks where they do in his five-star greatness ranking system
5) he's not dumb

Check out this intro:

this is fantastic, a mixture of ullillillia and academic snobbishness. I love it!

edit:

quote:

The English Language:
a few thoughts on its modern rape
/

Burning Rain fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Feb 20, 2017

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

Speaking of somewhat classic stuff, I think it's about the time for my once every five years attempt to have a go at Mervyn Peake's Gormenghast novels again and hopefully not bounce right off. Somehow it's been rough to digest every time, as fascinating as it actually is.

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

My favorite fantasy-lists-and-rankings site is http://greatsfandf.com/ because

1) it's obviously just one dude with very strong opinions
2) he especially has very strong opinions about what is and isn't "great" and/or "literature"
3) he's incredibly comprehensive and has rankings for a lot of really obscure authors
4) he writes little mini-essays for why each author ranks where they do in his five-star greatness ranking system
5) he's not dumb

Check out this intro:

I feel like this guy is like my polar opposite - even his website makes my eyes start to glaze over in a few minutes. The vast majority of the stuff he's recommending I've never even heard of beyond the obvious classics. It's hard to get a real sense for a lot of the books on his site because it's so all over the place too - you've got massive lists of books and authors and then many? most? of them have no actual information beyond a few words as to why they are on this list, while he writes long meandering essays about nothing on other pages.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

anilEhilated posted:

Provided he actually ever writes it. Is it just me or is the title for the series kind of oddly picked? I mean, the entire premise of it is that the guy in question is the Best Dude Ever and done every legendary deed Rothfuss could think of, so why focus on this one?
Apart from it sounding slightly better than "the fairyfucker chronicles"...
buddy, they won't even let me kill the king

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
edit: nm

less laughter fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Feb 20, 2017

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Wolpertinger posted:

I feel like this guy is like my polar opposite - even his website makes my eyes start to glaze over in a few minutes. The vast majority of the stuff he's recommending I've never even heard of beyond the obvious classics. It's hard to get a real sense for a lot of the books on his site because it's so all over the place too - you've got massive lists of books and authors and then many? most? of them have no actual information beyond a few words as to why they are on this list, while he writes long meandering essays about nothing on other pages.

No no it's absolutely necessary for a *good* website to make sure there's a five inch margin on the left side of the page and the core information doesn't start till you scroll down two full screens

On the other hand, detailed analysis of James Branch Cabell

in short, the internet is a land of contrasts

Captain_Person
Apr 7, 2013

WHAT CAN THE HARVEST HOPE FOR, IF NOT FOR THE CARE OF THE REAPER MAN?
The Nebula Award nominees have been announced.

What are the must-reads this year?

Echo Cian
Jun 16, 2011

Cardiac posted:

Nothing wrong with a list of good modern fantasy, but this isn't even really that since it includes Wheel of Time. (I could have sworn some of these series were older than they are...)

The best recent fantasy I've read was written by women, notably Valente and Jemisin. Not a single woman on that list, but clearly Sanderson is amazing enough to be on there three times. And I like Dresden Files, but I would put Daniel Faust well above that series to represent good urban fantasy.

I haven't read any of these but Dresden and Name of the Wind, but would I be safe in guessing that the rest also don't show particularly good sexual politics or diversity?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Echo Cian posted:

I haven't read any of these but Dresden and Name of the Wind, but would I be safe in guessing that the rest also don't show particularly good sexual politics or diversity?

I can't speak for all of them but the Wheel of Time was relatively progressive on gender when it first came out, i.e., in 1990.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

I've read All the Birds in the Sky, Ninefox Gambit, and Everfair. Birds was a really good story that I had a few nitpicks with but otherwise enjoyed. It is the sort of thing where I can definitely see it being someone's favorite book. Ninefox was a good, unique space opera type thing. Everfair was good and was set in the Belgian Congo, but I thought it struggled a bit by trying to cover too much ground. All 3 are worth reading, but I'm not sure they're must reads. Birds and Ninefox are both pretty quick reads.

For Novellas, I read Dream-Quest of Vellitt Boe, Ballad of Black Tom, and Taste of Honey. That first two are interesting because they are both retellings of Lovecraft, just with different spins. Vellitt Boe is told from within the Dream World, and is a way to sort of find a place for women in the Lovecraft Cannon. Black Tom is rewrite of The Horror at Red Hook with the protagonist as a street musician from Harlem. Your preference likely depends on what you want out of your Lovecraft inspired fiction. A Taste of Honey is a reflection on a a week or so that was a turning point for the main character's life. Nominally set in the same world as Sorcerer of the Wildeeps, it's strictly speaking fantasy, but the fantasy elements play little part in the story. As is usual with Wilson, the narrative does explore different orientations and classes.

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug

Really? Ninefox Gamit? Really?

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

anilEhilated posted:

Provided he actually ever writes it. Is it just me or is the title for the series kind of oddly picked? I mean, the entire premise of it is that the guy in question is the Best Dude Ever and done every legendary deed Rothfuss could think of, so why focus on this one?
Apart from it sounding slightly better than "the fairyfucker chronicles"...

I continue to be amused by the idea that Kvothe killed a king is the equivalent of that guy with the one goat and no matter what he does, no matter how many legendary quests he completes, nobody will shut up about that one stupid, whiny rear end in a top hat he killed who just happened to be king of somewhere.

EDIT: It turns out there's even this thing called a 'line of succession', so if you kill a king, someone else replaces him automatically! And people still won't shut up about it!

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

Where do fists come from?

StrixNebulosa posted:

I wish I could get into any of her books. Earthsea didn't take for me, Left Hand of Darkness didn't work... :sigh: It's always a bummer when a much-lauded author doesn't work for me. Her writing style just...I bounced off of it in the first chapter and couldn't crack it, so I haven't tried with her others yet.

Lathe of Heaven is the one I recommend to people who bounce off her heavier fare. It also happens to be my favorite.

Wolf Pussy
Jul 7, 2016

by R. Dieovich
I'm four chapters into Ninefox Gambit and it reads like moderately dire tumblr fanfic level gobbledygook. Can anyone explain why this got good reviews?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

StrixNebulosa posted:

If we're gonna go with the best fantasy novel of all time, let's go with the Zimiamvia Trilogy by ER Eddison, if only because it's ancient, thick with prose, and it inspired Lord of the Rings. :v:

I wish I could get into any of her books. Earthsea didn't take for me, Left Hand of Darkness didn't work... :sigh: It's always a bummer when a much-lauded author doesn't work for me. Her writing style just...I bounced off of it in the first chapter and couldn't crack it, so I haven't tried with her others yet.

A lot of LeGuin's stuff is heavily mannered and you can see the really strong Lord Dunsany influence, so I can see why shed put some readers off.

Still though I think she's the only fantasy author other than Tolkien and Dunsany to actually pull that style off, and at her best her themes are more nuanced and complex than either of them.

And then in SF, read Moon is a Harsh Mistress and then read The Dispossessed immediately after.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

No no it's absolutely necessary for a *good* website to make sure there's a five inch margin on the left side of the page and the core information doesn't start till you scroll down two full screens

This guy has five-starred Jack Vance and wrote a huge essay about why he's awesome, so he's alright in my book.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
Yeah I've got to say, I was quite interested in Ninefox Gambit, and it left me cold the whole way through. I didn't care at all about the characters or setting, the writing itself was nothing special, and I've barely thought about it since finishing.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Megazver posted:

This guy has five-starred Jack Vance and wrote a huge essay about why he's awesome, so he's alright in my book.
I was debating posting exactly the same thing with Avrad Davidson, but it turns out he only gave him 4.5. Fie and shame.

ShutteredIn
Mar 24, 2005

El Campeon Mundial del Acordeon

I'm catching up the short fiction side of things, have only read a couple of them this round. Here's the ones that are up for free:

Novelettes:
“Sooner or Later Everything Falls Into the Sea”, Sarah Pinsker
“Blood Grains Speak Through Memories”, Jason Sanford
“You’ll Surely Drown Here If You Stay”, Alyssa Wong

Short Stories:
“Our Talons Can Crush Galaxies”, Brooke Bolander <- this is terrible, how did this get nominated?
“Seasons of Glass and Iron”, Amal El-Mohtar
“Things With Beards”, Sam J. Miller
“A Fist of Permutations in Lightning and Wildflowers”, Alyssa Wong
“Welcome to the Medical Clinic at the Interplanetary Relay Station│Hours Since the Last Patient Death: 0”, Caroline M. Yoachim

Wxhode
Mar 29, 2016

by R. Guyovich

ShutteredIn posted:

Short Stories:
“Our Talons Can Crush Galaxies”, Brooke Bolander <- this is terrible, how did this get nominated?

I don't understand how it got published. Even a you-pay-me-to-publish-your-crap periodical should have thought twice about their life choices before cashing that check.

Mandatory Assembly
May 25, 2008

it's time to get juche
Lipstick Apathy

Krazyface posted:

Yeah I've got to say, I was quite interested in Ninefox Gambit, and it left me cold the whole way through. I didn't care at all about the characters or setting, the writing itself was nothing special, and I've barely thought about it since finishing.

Same. :(

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Is there anything more demoralizing than googling a book and spotting "#1" and "trilogy"?

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Is there anything more demoralizing than googling a book and spotting "#1" and "trilogy"?

"Genre: Young-Adult."

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Wolf Pussy posted:

I'm four chapters into Ninefox Gambit and it reads like moderately dire tumblr fanfic level gobbledygook. Can anyone explain why this got good reviews?

It sounds like you were coming into it with some of your own baggage.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

C.M. Kruger posted:

"Genre: Young-Adult."

after you've read the whole book and are wondering what the gently caress the author was even thinking

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
I remember Ninefox Gambit being OK but it didn't particularly grab me either. It was a bit confused in places and I forgot most of the story as soon as I'd finished the book.

I read nearly all of the Taltos series recently on recommendation from this thread and it was mostly pretty fun. Have to say that the Khaavren Romances dragged a bit though, especially the Viscount books. I get the joke and all and Brust mainly does it well, but five books felt a bit much - the pacing isn't quite there and it became quite a trudge at times. I got on to Tiassa and was relieved to be back to a more lively flow, finding out what our favourite assassin-with-a-heart is up to, although it felt like one of the weaker books in the series. And then two-thirds through it suddenly turns back into faux-Dumas and I had to put the book down.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!
I tried to read a sample of Ninefox Gambit and had a hard time telling what was going on and how things in that universe work. I'm willing to give it another shot later.

I'm willing to put up with the site writer's condescending attitude if it'll sell me on some underappreciated gems.

Edit: that first preface says that the page was last modified in 1970, so that might explain the formatting.

Solitair fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Feb 21, 2017

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Ninefox Gambit sounds kind of interesting but am I the only one who is really judgemental about the names of empires that get put into the summary blurbs? Hexarchate makes me cringe for some reason.

Which is rich considering I loving love The Algebraist, whose summary kicks off with "Fassin Taak, a Slow Seer at the Court of the Nasqueron Dwellers..."

Oh also I read the first two books of the Three-Body Problem and...well I was interested in the outcome but didn't really enjoy reading them. There's no flow, it's just weird data dumps in different contexts intercut with bad dialog that is also usually just a weird, stilted data dump. Is it at all worth finishing the trilogy?

Inspector_666 fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Feb 21, 2017

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
Hexarchate doesn't seem so bad, the empire is divided into parts each ruled by a sort of priest-governor, and there are six of them. It's more descriptive than it is a nonsense SF&F name, although I'm sure it was chosen for the unfamiliarity of the sound too.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Solitair posted:

I'm willing to put up with the site writer's condescending attitude if it'll sell me on some underappreciated gems.

Edit: that first preface says that the page was last modified in 1970, so that might explain the formatting.

top left corner says 2012 for last site modification.

But yeah I really wasn't being all that ironic when I called it my favorite. Bizarre formatting and pretentiousness aside, the guy has seriously done his homework and every time I run out of things to read I can dig through there and find a new recommendation. I entirely disagree at a fundamental level with the guy's approach ( even apart from the arguable invalidity of the high art/ low art distinction, it seems invalid to rank authors instead of individual books) but if you're gonna be doing an all-time ranking list, you should at minimum show your work, and that guy has, in a way that's useful.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Solitair posted:

I tried to read a sample of Ninefox Gambit and had a hard time telling what was going on and how things in that universe work. I'm willing to give it another shot later.

I read it all and still don't know what was going on. I enjoyed it though.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
Ninefox Gambit was very good and it's called the Hexarchate because it was a Heptarchate before, and this may be kind of a big deal in the series.

Also calendar space magic ritual holidays with the involvement of the population make shiny technology work. It's a bit 40K really.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

Solitair posted:

Yeah, it juts kind of drops you into the middle with a bunch of jargon. I thought it became relatively clear, at least in the abstract, after a few chapters. That first one is sorta rough though.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

Junkenstein posted:

I read it all and still don't know what was going on. I enjoyed it though.

Cheris is a soldier for a galactic empire (the hexarchate). They keep power by enforcing a ritual calendar of holidays and sacrifices. Wherever this calendar is observed, the laws of physics serve the empire's needs.

When a critical fortress starts to observe a heretical calendar, Cheris is chosen for a suicide mission to reconquer it. Her only hope is the mind of an undead general who put down a similar revolt - except he also went insane and shot his entire crew. Too bad he's been attached to Cheris literally as her shadow.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Ninefox is pretty heavy with making it pretty clear that everything is a weird mishmash of the chinese zodiac and a lot of chinese martial arts principles almost immediately after the opening fight scene (I mean it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that the ash and fire references for the bird on the Kel banners makes them Pheonix - which is also why the reincarnation cult that was previously put down also is a little interesting, if probably being a double-foreshadowing or something.)

It's not exactly subtle when pretty much every chapter begins with the greek chorus making fun of how it's the year of the cow, day of the chicken, hour of the rooster (early joke spoiler: "why the hell is there a rooster and a chicken!?") The names of the hextarchy etc are also clearly explained in the first 10-20 of the book, which takes roughly 30 minutes to get through.

But I've grown used to goons who consider themselves intelligent and well-rounded people who begin flailing and crying whenever a word has more than three syllables or some kind of cultural/historical/mythological connotations in their space fighty and sword fighty books.. The popularly-highlighted quotes in Ninefox reinforce that it's probably not just goons, some of them are kind of embarrassing.

Perhaps recommending Ninefox should begin with "TRIGGER WARNING: If you get really really upset at the Vlad Taltos series' silly animal houses, run far and run fast."

"#1 Best-rated fantasy series of all time: 2/10 currently completed"

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Feb 21, 2017

Fried Sushi
Jul 5, 2004

Buying a three book series thinking its a trilogy only to find out after finishing the third book its actually an unspecified amount of books and you have to wait years for the conclusion.

Or just buying any George Martin book at any point in time, both pretty demoralizing.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

General Battuta posted:

Wherever this calendar is observed, the laws of physics serve the empire's needs.

This threw me for a loop because it's such a weird idea but when I internalized it the rest was a simple extrapolation.

Plotwise the book had a bit of first volume syndrome going on but I enjoyed it nevertheless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mandatory Assembly
May 25, 2008

it's time to get juche
Lipstick Apathy

coyo7e posted:

Ninefox is pretty heavy with making it pretty clear that everything is a weird mishmash of the chinese zodiac and a lot of chinese martial arts principles almost immediately after the opening fight scene (I mean it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that the ash and fire references for the bird on the Kel banners makes them Pheonix - which is also why the reincarnation cult that was previously put down also is a little interesting, if probably being a double-foreshadowing or something.)

It's not exactly subtle when pretty much every chapter begins with the greek chorus making fun of how it's the year of the cow, day of the chicken, hour of the rooster (early joke spoiler: "why the hell is there a rooster and a chicken!?") The names of the hextarchy etc are also clearly explained in the first 10-20 of the book, which takes roughly 30 minutes to get through.

But I've grown used to goons who consider themselves intelligent and well-rounded people who begin flailing and crying whenever a word has more than three syllables or some kind of cultural/historical/mythological connotations in their space fighty and sword fighty books.. The popularly-highlighted quotes in Ninefox reinforce that it's probably not just goons, some of them are kind of embarrassing.

Perhaps recommending Ninefox should begin with "TRIGGER WARNING: If you get really really upset at the Vlad Taltos series' silly animal houses, run far and run fast."

What the heck? You're basically writing fan fiction about why people didn't enjoy Ninefox.

I found the setup and universe super intriguing, but I don't think it's unfair to say that the book is pretty flat. It suffers from the Dune problem of most of the interesting things happening offscreen and the reader finding out via a conversation two characters are having about said things. I do not feel this way because I'm a middlebrow Sinophobic.

Antti posted:

This threw me for a loop because it's such a weird idea but when I internalized it the rest was a simple extrapolation.

It's a loving great idea, but the book never really pays it off. I read the book less than six months ago and I'm having trouble recalling one example of exotic calendrical physics.