Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
Does Hancock attend the Reverie since she rules Amazon Lily?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

OldTennisCourt posted:

Does Hancock attend the Reverie since she rules Amazon Lily?

Amazon Lily is presumably not in the World Government alliance.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

I had forgotten that Caesar Clown was on the island, and had two weeks to produce his results. Dude is so boned.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
I want Caesar to succeed out of nowhere and he bursts into the castle to announce his great triumph of gigantification.

And then he sees Luffy brawling it out with Big Mom and he's all 'welp' and turns around and leaves.

Pureauthor fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Feb 18, 2017

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
Clown is like a much stronger Spandem is you really think about it. He's a lovely employee who constantly fucks up, everyone hates him since he's a huge shithead and now he's getting hosed over in every possible way after he loses.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Kild posted:

Amazon Lily is presumably not in the World Government alliance.

Yeah, warlords get their sins written off but they sure as hell aren't trusted. After all, they could easily turn on the government or secretly be in the process of turning on them.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

If I were human, I believe my response would be: 'go to hell'.

Pureauthor posted:

Except for Vivi who will just hide a smile.

...As well as Riku

...and Elizabello II

...and Neptune

...and Dalton

Most of the (known) participants of Reverie know the Strawhats fairly well.

JahRoo
Oct 22, 2010

Started reading OP for the first time last month and just finished catching up today -- really blown I didn't start reading sooner cause it was pretty consistently great the whole time.

Also my favorite scene so far was easily the docking scene in thriller bark.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
Ya know, is it just me or as good as Thriller Bark was Moriah kinda fell flat? I love his design and his power is cool and all, he just sorta didn't have as much fanfare as he really should have considering he was a Warlord.

Crazyeyes posted:

...As well as Riku

...and Elizabello II

...and Neptune

...and Dalton

Most of the (known) participants of Reverie know the Strawhats fairly well.

It's been a bit so I may have forgotten but doesn't a portion of the Fishman populace think Luffy is somehow betrothed to Shiraroshi? I'm probably getting it wrong, but I could have sworn when Vander Decken was being a turbo creep after she turned him down he assumed she was with Luffy or something and they were in a pretty large crowd.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

OldTennisCourt posted:

It's been a bit so I may have forgotten but doesn't a portion of the Fishman populace think Luffy is somehow betrothed to Shiraroshi? I'm probably getting it wrong, but I could have sworn when Vander Decken was being a turbo creep after she turned him down he assumed she was with Luffy or something and they were in a pretty large crowd.

I've never heard anyone say that and don't remember it being in the manga

Advice
Feb 17, 2007

Je veux ton amour
Et je veux ton revanche
Je veux ton amour
I don't wanna be friends

OldTennisCourt posted:

Ya know, is it just me or as good as Thriller Bark was Moriah kinda fell flat? I love his design and his power is cool and all, he just sorta didn't have as much fanfare as he really should have considering he was a Warlord.

? Moria had none of his original crew left and only had an arrogant doctor, a pervy lion, and a bored ghost girl for an unreliable backup crew and he basically defeated the Straw hats. He willingly returned their shadows to them so that they could be obliterated in the New World, which they were. I'd say he did pretty well for a depressed fat guy at the end of his pirating career.

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011

JahRoo posted:

Started reading OP for the first time last month and just finished catching up today -- really blown I didn't start reading sooner cause it was pretty consistently great the whole time.

Also my favorite scene so far was easily the docking scene in thriller bark.

My favorite gag as well.

Robin saying she loved the crew and her whole flashback was best single thing though. Her pathos elevated CP9 into villains you wanted loving dead

drjuggalo
Jul 26, 2014

Advice posted:

? Moria had none of his original crew left and only had an arrogant doctor, a pervy lion, and a bored ghost girl for an unreliable backup crew and he basically defeated the Straw hats. He willingly returned their shadows to them so that they could be obliterated in the New World, which they were. I'd say he did pretty well for a depressed fat guy at the end of his pirating career.

forget the new world they got obliterated at the GATES to the new world and he was 1000% right

also he didnt give a gently caress for like half the arc and then made oars and still didnt give a gently caress for a while then luffy rolled on him with everyones shadows. Moria's powerset was hella stronk with how many bullshit powers he had and im 100% excepting him in the new world with a zombie army (and him losing about 70 pounds)

my favorite moments in OP is easily the thriller bark :zoro: moment or when sanji hits usopp with the speech on enies lobby about everyone on the crew playing their role

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

remember when everyone thought he was Oz

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

drjuggalo posted:

Moria's powerset was hella stronk with how many bullshit powers he had and im 100% excepting him in the new world with a zombie army (and him losing about 70 pounds)

wasn't it implied that doflamingo killed him

if he shows up at all, I'd expect it to be like kuma and he's been modified in some way by vegapunk

Reiche
Jan 28, 2009

I like my coffee with cream and lsd.

Manatee Cannon posted:

wasn't it implied that doflamingo killed him

if he shows up at all, I'd expect it to be like kuma and he's been modified in some way by vegapunk

No, Doflamingo said he disappeared into thin air which was definitely Abasalom saving him with his invisibility power. He's still out there somewhere

Ubiquitus
Nov 20, 2011

Reiche posted:

No, Doflamingo said he disappeared into thin air which was definitely Abasalom saving him with his invisibility power. He's still out there somewhere

You're implying that Doflamingo wouldn't notice Absalom sneaking around when he has observation haki? Highly doubtful.

ThingOne
Jul 30, 2011

Would you like some tofu?

Ubiquitus posted:

You're implying that Doflamingo wouldn't notice Absalom sneaking around when he has observation haki? Highly doubtful.

Knowing Doflamingo he noticed him but didn't care enough to stop him. He clearly thought the whole thing was hilarious when he was talking to his WG handler.

Advice
Feb 17, 2007

Je veux ton amour
Et je veux ton revanche
Je veux ton amour
I don't wanna be friends

Ubiquitus posted:

Hmm, never thought about this. Is it possible Absalom has even stronger haki than Doflamingo?

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

victoria concordia crescit
It's possible that observation haki couldn't have found Absalom in the first place. Granted we don't know much about it, but it's uses so far have been to predict where things will go to dodge attacks, see things moving too fast for normal eyes to see, and to see incredibly long distance. Maybe pure invisibility trumps it? I wouldn't put much stock in Doflamingo's laughter indicating he knew Absalom saved Moria since he laughs at just about everything, especially that which involves the WG's misfortune.

Advice
Feb 17, 2007

Je veux ton amour
Et je veux ton revanche
Je veux ton amour
I don't wanna be friends
Wait, were we kidding? I hope to god we were kidding.

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

If Franky was in a band it would be Dire Straits

'...and Franky doesn't mind, if he doesn't make the scene... :dance:

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
I'm pretty sure when I started reading One Piece there was a general One Piece thread that combined the anime and manga, and that I started reading specifically because of two images. One was

though I believe it read something more akin to "That bastard, he's cleaning our floors". While the other was something like this

And the OP had apended text to the tune that despite how much of a thorn Luffy was, they could never catch a photo of him that wasn't rather happy like that. Between people giving out over a guy cleaning floors with a broom in his mouth and a captain that was so happy go lucky I had to get in on it. It took me a few months to get around to it, though I eventually read the entire manga (at least, as it was at the time), which I believe left me caught up around the time of the sea-train. I know I was reading weekly by the time of Enies Lobby proper at least. I think I watched some of the anime for a while too.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Wait did Doflamingo not know what happened to Moria? I thought offered to help Moria disappear for his own ends and then lied to the WG.

...I mean I guess I could just read Impel Down/Marineford again.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

He just says he "disappeared".

Probably ended up something like it was more fun with him around or something. He'll be back.

Sub Harrison
May 2, 2013

Doflamingo was dispatched by the World Government higher ups to take out Moria. Punishment for getting wrecked by the Strawhats. Doffy told the WG officer that Moria vanished in thin air, a power which Doffy didn't know the shadow-shadow fruit could do. This heavily implied Absalom saved Moria with his invisibility power.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

Sub Harrison posted:

Doflamingo was dispatched by the World Government higher ups to take out Moria. Punishment for getting wrecked by the Strawhats. Doffy told the WG officer that Moria vanished in thin air, a power which Doffy didn't know the shadow-shadow fruit could do. This heavily implied Absalom saved Moria with his invisibility power.

Could Absalom turn other things/people invisible?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

he could turn nami invisible with him when he kidnapped her

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

drjuggalo posted:

forget the new world they got obliterated at the GATES to the new world and he was 1000% right

also he didnt give a gently caress for like half the arc and then made oars and still didnt give a gently caress for a while then luffy rolled on him with everyones shadows. Moria's powerset was hella stronk with how many bullshit powers he had and im 100% excepting him in the new world with a zombie army (and him losing about 70 pounds)

my favorite moments in OP is easily the thriller bark :zoro: moment or when sanji hits usopp with the speech on enies lobby about everyone on the crew playing their role

It would be funny if he turned up looking the same and claiming he lost 70 pounds. Guy is huge; it would barely be noticeable.

Sub Harrison
May 2, 2013

Manatee Cannon posted:

he could turn nami invisible with him when he kidnapped her

He also had two bazookas he made invisible on his arms.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Yeah, pretty much, Absolam probably saved him. Seems a bit like a plot hole that Doffy didn't even try to use observation Haki.

On an aside, I always thought Moriah's backstory was one of the best subtle bits of storytelling. We basically see him as this fat lazy slob who's motto is basically "Im going to be the Pirate King without lifting a finger!". Then when their fight with him is nearly over, he says something about how they can get crushed in the New World, and then it finally hits you: that he had a crew big enough to fill that entire ship, that he actually cared about, and they were all killed by Kaidoh. And that's why he wants an army of disposable zombies.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Moria was also right, to some extent.

Luffy and co. were utterly obliterated before they were even able to enter the New World.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Last Celebration posted:

Yeah, pretty much, Absolam probably saved him. Seems a bit like a plot hole that Doffy didn't even try to use observation Haki.

For one thing, Doflamingo didn't really care about fighting Moria. For another, it's not much of a plot hole when we've never seen Dofly use observation haki.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Sub Harrison posted:

Nitpicking here, but I believe the WG sent Doflamingo to kill Moria because of his poor performance in the Whitebeard War, not his loss to the Straw Hats.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

Begemot posted:

For one thing, Doflamingo didn't really care about fighting Moria. For another, it's not much of a plot hole when we've never seen Dofly use observation haki.

I thought of you could use conquerors haki you could use all forms.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
It's just continuous poor performance. Losing to the Straw Hats and then his dismal showing during the war made him a liability.

Warlords are supposed to be strong and invincible, the moment they're defeated any status or power they may have held starts to crumble, pirates don't fear them as much, and they just become a liability to the government.

Doesn't help that at least 2 (Croc, Doff) were doing hostile takeovers behind the government's back, 2 (Law, Blackbeard) were only using the government to achieve their goals and promptly left and created chaos in their wake, and 1 (Jinbei) left to oppose the government's decision.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Hate-Senpai posted:

It's just continuous poor performance. Losing to the Straw Hats and then his dismal showing during the war made him a liability.

Warlords are supposed to be strong and invincible, the moment they're defeated any status or power they may have held starts to crumble, pirates don't fear them as much, and they just become a liability to the government.

Doesn't help that at least 2 (Croc, Doff) were doing hostile takeovers behind the government's back, 2 (Law, Blackbeard) were only using the government to achieve their goals and promptly left and created chaos in their wake, and 1 (Jinbei) left to oppose the government's decision.

None of the Warlords have been loyal, really. Hancock smuggled Luffy into Impel Down and even attacked Marines during the Whitebeard War. Kuma was working with the Revolutionaries and even set things up so he could work against the WG after his free will was removed. Mihawk trained Zoro. Moria's intent to become Pirate King implies betraying the WG eventually. Buggy is actually one of the more loyal ones, but he's deceiving the WG by pretending to be strong. Weevil is probably the most loyal; I guess the collateral damage from his fights is more than most Marines are comfortable with, but he's not actually trying to screw the WG over.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Crazyeyes posted:

He's also cocky as all gently caress so he probably wasn't using it with Moria about to get killed. Then Moria disappeared and tweaking the World Government was more entertaining than hunting down a beaten Moria.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Fujitora has a point with his "let's get rid of the Warlords" thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Crazyeyes posted:

I don't remember this being stated. I was also about to say that Luffy first used Color of the Conqueror (against an animal in Thriller Bark, IIRC) before using the other two colors, but then I remembered that he probably unconsciously used Color of Observation against Mr. 3. Pretty sure he never used Color of Armaments before the time skip, though.