Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon
Nonfuckup:

cert renewal day and I abandoned startssl and did let's encrypt

good lord that was easy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

Wheany posted:

windows 10 home apparently doesn't come with bitlocker. how bout that.

use to be enterprise sku only, you're lucky they pushed it down to pro

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Today in non-sec fuckups I made a tool that chunks through all of the packages in Buildroot and if it's hosted on GitHub or PyPI it checks to see if there's an update and if so auto-generates a patch to submit to the Buildroot team.

Almost 60% of the python libraries were out of date.
40% of those were out of date by more than 2 major revision numbers.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

anthonypants posted:

in chrome there is no "view info" link when you click the lock icon next to a url

there is a "learn more" link that goes here https://support.google.com/chrome/?p=ui_security_indicator

there is a link to the cookies used for the site, if there are cookies

there is a site settings link at the bottom that goes here chrome://settings/content

they removed any way to easily view the certificate for an https site a long time ago

Microsoft did this in Edge too and its the only thing that really annoys me about it.

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

ratbert90 posted:

Today in non-sec fuckups I made a tool that chunks through all of the packages in Buildroot and if it's hosted on GitHub or PyPI it checks to see if there's an update and if so auto-generates a patch to submit to the Buildroot team.

Lol that's obnoxious and they will kill you if actually run it

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Shaggar posted:

Microsoft did this in Edge too and its the only thing that really annoys me about it.

edge at least still shows the ev organization name by the padlock right? i am unsure if there was actually some deeper issue with that, but i found it to be a very sensible double-check of the url not being off

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

jre posted:

Lol that's obnoxious and they will kill you if actually run it

Oh I talked to the maintainers and they were all for it. 58 patches submitted!

Meat Beat Agent
Aug 5, 2007

felonious assault with a sproinging boner
https://twitter.com/cyb3rops/status/833354634735534081

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

ratbert90 posted:

I thought you'd been doing embedded stuff for a while?

Who wants the web programmer-y moving target APIs that keeping all those packages current for "author bumped a version" reasons alone would introduce?

My first thought is of that "Calibre" ebook software whose author obnoxiously (because it nags) does a release or two every week and has sustained that pace for a decade.

A one-time catch-up, people can maybe handle, but oh man maintenance...

Jewel
May 2, 2009

Was just about to come here and post this. It tries to log in to your twitter account (and others? didn't check) with the info, lmfao. The git bio just straight up says to never use this.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
i just saw it on twitter too, and it looks like it checks twitter, facebook, github, reddit, hackernews, and google, in that order

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
lmao

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

ratbert90 posted:

Oh I talked to the maintainers and they were all for it. 58 patches submitted!

This is totally retarded and will almost certainly break stuff. How did you check that bumping libraries major versions hasn't broken functionality ?
There are already tools (e.g. https://snyk.io , https://pypi.python.org/pypi/dependency-check/ ) which scan your dependancies for known vulnerabilities so you can limit the updates to things that actually matter.

jre fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Feb 19, 2017

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

anthonypants posted:

in chrome there is no "view info" link when you click the lock icon next to a url

there is a "learn more" link that goes here https://support.google.com/chrome/?p=ui_security_indicator

there is a link to the cookies used for the site, if there are cookies

there is a site settings link at the bottom that goes here chrome://settings/content

they removed any way to easily view the certificate for an https site a long time ago

yeah they moved a thing that'd just confuse most people to the developer options - which takes three steps to get to not eight

this annoys developers slightly which is OK because we're a tiny percentage of users

the really hosed thing is that regular users even know what cookies are let alone care so deeply about them that they want to inspect them

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

jre posted:

This is totally retarded and will almost certainly break stuff. How did you check that bumping libraries major versions hasn't broken functionality ?
There are already tools (e.g. https://snyk.io , https://pypi.python.org/pypi/dependency-check/ ) which scan your dependancies for known vulnerabilities so you can limit the updates to things that actually matter.

I actually scanned the dependencies if there was a dependencies.txt, I tried to import the module as well, and then if there was example code I tried to run that.

Out of the 58 patches, 3 were broken as far as I could tell.

James Baud posted:

I thought you'd been doing embedded stuff for a while?

Who wants the web programmer-y moving target APIs that keeping all those packages current for "author bumped a version" reasons alone would introduce?

My first thought is that "Calibre" ebook software whose author obnoxiously (because it nags) does a release or two every week and has sustained that pace for a decade.

A one-time catch-up, people can maybe handle, but oh man maintenance...

I am embedded, this is just a side project for fun. :)

Also yeah, we are in discussions on how to actually maintain python libraries buildroot, as it's already 10~% of the packages and there are over 20,000 libraries on pypi.

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

ratbert90 posted:

I actually scanned the dependencies if there was a dependencies.txt, I tried to import the module as well, and then if there was example code I tried to run that.

Out of the 58 patches, 3 were broken as far as I could tell.

I am embedded, this is just a side project for fun. :)

quote:

As far as I could tell ...

Hey I've just changed 58 dependancies without reading the change logs for those dependancies. I've done no meaningful tests so gently caress knows if this breaks the app, I've also not profiled what the effect of new versions on mem / cpu / io is. Nor did I actually check for advisories so the new versions are just as likely as the old to have horrible vulnerabilities in them.

What do you mean your taking away my push privs ?

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

edge at least still shows the ev organization name by the padlock right? i am unsure if there was actually some deeper issue with that, but i found it to be a very sensible double-check of the url not being off

its got the signing org and the subject name from the cert. I can guarantee u tho what happened was that they didn't want to have to grant access to the win32 certui through the UWP framework but they were also too lazy to re-implement it fully.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

jre posted:

Hey I've just changed 58 dependancies without reading the change logs for those dependancies. I've done no meaningful tests so gently caress knows if this breaks the app, I've also not profiled what the effect of new versions on mem / cpu / io is. Nor did I actually check for advisories so the new versions are just as likely as the old to have horrible vulnerabilities in them.

What do you mean your taking away my push privs ?

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
i don't know, i personally wouldn't mind having a dedicated scapegoat for everything that goes wrong for the foreseeable future on some projects

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

BobHoward posted:

depends. on some ssds the sata password mechanism is a potentially deece fde (*), but sata is a very pc industry standard so you'd better be sure your particular drive mfr did it right before you depend on it

* - dense flash media can have problems storing some bit patterns - long runs of ones, zeroes, etc. running all the data through encryption helps with that, since the output of good crypto looks like noise. so, there are a poo poo ton of ssds that always encrypt everything written to flash. the algorithm is usually aes-128 or -256 in counter mode

out of the box these drives store the data encryption key in the clear so the drive can function without any unlocking. if the user sets a sata password, a fresh random aes key gets generated (effectively wiping the drive!) and encrypted with the sata PW, so now the system must provide the sata PW in order to unlock the drive. this is more or less equivalent to popular assumed-to-be-good FDE schemes like bitlocker and filevault2, but with everything implemented inside the drive. i don't windows much but i seem to recall that bitlocker can operate in a mode where it actually relies on the sata drive to do all the work

personally i'd rather rely on operating system "soft" FDE because LOL if you think that storage devices have reliably competent implementations of anything. also the OS is more likely to get security patches.

for opel-whatever drives, bitlocker will keep the key in the TPM where it probably should be and just use the embedded hardware acceleration of the drive to prevent that stuff from being run in CPU which usually results in zero effective overhead. bitlocker on cpu even with a modern processor and AES extensions can halve ops rates on a SSD though you're talking about the different between 10 and 20k ops so it probably doesn't matter for most workloads. there have been some demonstrations of poo poo key management in the self-encrypting drives and I would trust MS to hold key material in TPM over sarnsung or whoever.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Right but I mean what difference is it going to make.

If somebody's going to go to the trouble of taking apart my computer in a lab and applying specific Samsung exploits to the SSD firmware or whatever then they can also cold-boot attack my FDE laptop, which is probably asleep so it already has the encryption keys in DRAM.

Tbf though Macs have some sort of special firmware lock screen that lets them purge keys out of RAM when they go to sleep.

Define an adversary for your security measures, or you're just jerking off.

Meat Beat Agent
Aug 5, 2007

felonious assault with a sproinging boner
https://twitter.com/paaleksey/status/833353340079706112

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

beautiful

e: lol

https://mobile.twitter.com/paaleksey/status/833355010637455367

Lutha Mahtin fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Feb 20, 2017

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

Sapozhnik posted:

Right but I mean what difference is it going to make.

If somebody's going to go to the trouble of taking apart my computer in a lab and applying specific Samsung exploits to the SSD firmware or whatever then they can also cold-boot attack my FDE laptop, which is probably asleep so it already has the encryption keys in DRAM.

Tbf though Macs have some sort of special firmware lock screen that lets them purge keys out of RAM when they go to sleep.

Define an adversary for your security measures, or you're just jerking off.

i'm kinda confused what exactly the point you're trying to make is?

like sure, for 99% of attack scenarios for 99% of people a SATA password is probably perfectly secure, this has nothing to do with it requiring NSA level ability to circumvent, simply that its usually just not worth the trouble for most people's data

its definitely not as secure as FDE though, even if that fact is only being demonstrated theoretically, and using FDE isn't any more of a hassle so I don't really understand what you're making a stand about?

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

how many bitcoins can you mine in the time it takes for a CI build to run?

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
they might be hijacking the build so unless the CI server doesn't have a max run time for a build it would run until killed by someone else.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

Shaggar posted:

they might be hijacking the build so unless the CI server doesn't have a max run time for a build it would run until killed by someone else.

yeah but basically every public project that uses some public CI service is gonna have sane defaults for that, right? 🤔

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
oh definitely.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
also the creds for the CI service totally wont be in the repo either so theres surely no way the bot could get access to and change the config.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

uncurable mlady posted:

yeah but basically every public project that uses some public CI service is gonna have sane defaults for that, right? 🤔

lol

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
CI?

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Continuous Integration. Basically automatic builds and tests run on every commit to the main branch(s)

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
seems more like code injection op

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

:eyepop:

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

Jewel posted:

Was just about to come here and post this. It tries to log in to your twitter account (and others? didn't check) with the info, lmfao. The git bio just straight up says to never use this.

that actually might not be a bad idea to use in sign in forms

i mean, might creep your customers out but they'll be more informed about good security practices

as they leave your site never to return never mind that's a terrible idea

yoloer420
May 19, 2006
Stop stealing my talk topics guys

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

:neo whoa:

Jewel
May 2, 2009

continuing on from the bitcoin CI, a great one i just saw on twitter

https://github.com/auchenberg/volkswagen

quote:

Volkswagen detects when your tests are being run in a CI server, and makes them pass.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man

Jewel posted:

continuing on from the bitcoin CI, a great one i just saw on twitter

https://github.com/auchenberg/volkswagen

lol

also ratbert I like your idea in abstract but maybe restrict it to major version updates or something? idk. it does sound like a Lot but we are in a kind of risk averse profession

• Locked thread