Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

mandatory lesbian posted:

they are psychic, they might be the worst psychic types but they're still prob good just from that typing

yeah, any psychic type is busted in-game in gen 1. for example butterfree is usable

edit: i mean i know it's not psychic type but it learns psychic moves and is really strong just off the back of that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

that ivy guy
May 20, 2015

oddium posted:

hypno is a pedophile

and drowzee is a child abuser in Mystery Dungeon. Hmm

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

A while back, someone posted a team that you could use to just blow through Doubles at the Battle Tree to unlock Super Doubles. Anyone happen to remember what it was? (The fall back plan is to just throw Tapu Lele & Strong Jaw Bruxish/Tapu Koko & Raichu at it.)

OgreNoah
Nov 18, 2003

Rangpur posted:

A while back, someone posted a team that you could use to just blow through Doubles at the Battle Tree to unlock Super Doubles. Anyone happen to remember what it was? (The fall back plan is to just throw Tapu Lele & Strong Jaw Bruxish/Tapu Koko & Raichu at it.)

In this manner, does anyone know if the Protean Greninja/lvl 1 Aron with Berry Juice/Garchomp triples team still works in SuMo like it did in ORAS?

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Hammerite posted:

yeah, any psychic type is busted in-game in gen 1. for example butterfree is usable

It is? I decided against it for my playtrhough because it is a Bug/Flying type pokemon that never learns any Flying type moves, and the only Bug type move it can have is String Shot. What's so good about it?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Ariong posted:

It is? I decided against it for my playtrhough because it is a Bug/Flying type pokemon that never learns any Flying type moves, and the only Bug type move it can have is String Shot. What's so good about it?

it learns psychic moves, which is what he said

I can't even think of any damaging bug moves in gen 1. leech life?

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Manatee Cannon posted:

it learns psychic moves, which is what he said

Pin Missile and Twineedle.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Manatee Cannon posted:

+ Twineedle and Pin Missile

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe

Ariong posted:

It learns Confusion and Psybeam, both of which are Psychic-type attacks. Psychic attacks are an easy button in-game in gen 1. That's it

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

There's also Pin Missile and Twinneedle, but good luck seeing those without Beedrill. Is beedrill any good in Gen I?

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Ariong posted:

There's also Pin Missile and Twinneedle, but good luck seeing those without Beedrill. Is beedrill any good in Gen I?

It's rear end, bug type moves are rear end and the only half decent user is Jolteon

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Ariong posted:

Absolutely not.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
twineedle hits twice for 25 power and 20% poison chance each

christ what a lovely move

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Yeah I figured as much. Super disappointing. It's one of the few pokemon that looked as awesome then as it does now.

EDIT: What percentage of the pokemon in Gen 1 were terrible?

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Ariong posted:

There's also Pin Missile and Twinneedle, but good luck seeing those without Beedrill.

PSWII60
Jan 7, 2007

All the best octopodes shoot fire and ice.

OgreNoah posted:

In this manner, does anyone know if the Protean Greninja/lvl 1 Aron with Berry Juice/Garchomp triples team still works in SuMo like it did in ORAS?

Triples doesn't exist in SuMo.

EDIT: Spelling correction.

PSWII60 fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Feb 20, 2017

zonohedron
Aug 14, 2006

Having thought about it for a bit, here's my plan for playing through Pokemon Y as a Former Team Flare Grunt:
  • my starter, probably Fennekin, as the first Pokemon I befriended after leaving Team Flare (they're orange, you see)
  • Zubat, Gulpin, Electrike, Scraggy - Pokemon I'd have been familiar with as a Grunt (minus Houndour, because Fennekin)
  • Kabuto, as a fossil I stole before leaving Team Flare, because it can learn Surf, Waterfall, and Dig
How terrible is this going to be? :v:

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Ariong posted:

Yeah I figured as much. Super disappointing. It's one of the few pokemon that looked as awesome then as it does now.

well here's a list of the things that were actually Good:

starmie, alakazam, chansey, rhydon, exeggutor, golem, zapdos, mewtwo, tauros, snorlax... uhhhh.... lapras?? jolteon???

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

zonohedron posted:

Mega Manectric can solo most everything

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Countblanc posted:

starmie, alakazam, chansey, rhydon, exeggutor, golem, zapdos, mewtwo, tauros, snorlax... uhhhh.... lapras?? jolteon???

Jynx, Cloyster, Gengar, Slowbro

zonohedron
Aug 14, 2006

less laughter posted:

Mega Manectric can solo most everything

I don't think I can get a mega stone before the end of the game, though, at which point I'll already have suffered! But with that vote of confidence.... anyone have a Kabuto they'd like to trade me? :v:

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Countblanc posted:

Slowbro

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe

Countblanc posted:

nidoking is good in gen 1, you can get it early and teach it thrash and it steamrolls most npc trainers that aren't hikers

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Hammerite posted:

nidoking is good in gen 1, you can get it early and teach it thrash and it steamrolls most npc trainers that aren't hikers

same goes for Queen

OgreNoah
Nov 18, 2003

PSWII60 posted:

Troops doesn't exist in SuMo.

Oh I mistook the Multi format for Triples. Sucks, I loved triples with Aron.

felch me daddy jr.
Oct 30, 2009

less laughter posted:

same goes for Queen

She doesn't get Thrash.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

Ariong posted:

In-game, surprisingly few. Most Get 1 Pokemon get SOMETHING that makes them worth using, A few of the stand out failures are things like Onix, Beedrill, Porygon, and Hitmonchan. Pokemon that are either just statistically terrible or have completely unusable movepools.

Competitively, i'm not quite sure where the line in the sand is drawn from 'fringe playable' to just plain bad. The power gap is a lot smaller in Gen 1 compared to the bloat the series hits from Gen 4-on, and some of the weirdness in Gen 1 made some classically-awful Pokemon like Persian, Dodrio, and Golem not just playable but genuinely good, and even stuff that is often thought of as trash like Raticate and Electrode able to hold weird niches (Raticate was a coverage-based Wallbreaker, Electrode was a status spreader/targeted one-shot nuke/Rhydon and Golem lure.) Certainly, there's a line, and pure rubbish Pokemon like Vileplume, Wigglytuff, Fearow, and Seadra sit below it Yet even Golbat saw bloody play from time to time when people got super-worried about setup moves and didn't want to stack too many Water 'mon to run Vaporeon.

LEGO Genetics
Oct 8, 2013

She growls as she storms the stadium
A villain mean and rough
And the cops all shake and quiver and quake
as she stabs them with her cuffs
I hatched a shiny Snubbul when I wasn't even trying for it.

On the third egg.

:effort:

Meanwhile back in Alpha Sapphire I hatched over 300 trying to get a shiny Chespin.

dungeon cousin
Nov 26, 2012

woop woop
loop loop

zonohedron posted:

Having thought about it for a bit, here's my plan for playing through Pokemon Y as a Former Team Flare Grunt:
  • my starter, probably Fennekin, as the first Pokemon I befriended after leaving Team Flare (they're orange, you see)
  • Zubat, Gulpin, Electrike, Scraggy - Pokemon I'd have been familiar with as a Grunt (minus Houndour, because Fennekin)
  • Kabuto, as a fossil I stole before leaving Team Flare, because it can learn Surf, Waterfall, and Dig

I've seen this type of challenge done before usually with the player pretending to be a Rocket. The most they ever restricted themselves was to the types the team have been seen using. So looking at Flare grunts that would be Poison, Fighting, Dark, Fire, Electric, and Flying.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.

LEGO Genetics posted:

I hatched a shiny Snubbul when I wasn't even trying for it.

On the third egg.

:effort:

Meanwhile back in Alpha Sapphire I hatched over 300 trying to get a shiny Chespin.

Last night I started breeding a Scolipede and the second Venipede egg I hatched (right nature, wrong ability) came out shiney. Now I don't even want to keep going because I feel like when I get a good one I'll never get a shiney.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

I think any gimmick run like that has to yield to necessity of the HM slave. One more reason to be thankful for SuMo jettisoning that mechanic. That said, Crobat & Scrafty ain't nothing to sneeze at. Manenectric is pretty good as a Mega but I don't remember when you get the stone. Swalot is... uh, used in an old Fire Red LP, I think? That's the sum total of my exposure to it.

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.

Ariong posted:

I used it once in a "bad pokemon" challenge and it held it's own pretty well in game. Gen 1 has a lot of poison types that STAB Twinneedle can do a lot of damage against.

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal
Anyone have a Regenerator Foongus they can trade me on Moon? Also, I've never traded online before in this game, how does it work?

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

dude789 posted:

I used it once in a "bad pokemon" challenge and it held it's own pretty well in game. Gen 1 has a lot of poison types that STAB Twinneedle can do a lot of damage against.

They're good Pokémon Bront

zonohedron
Aug 14, 2006

Rangpur posted:

I think any gimmick run like that has to yield to necessity of the HM slave. One more reason to be thankful for SuMo jettisoning that mechanic. That said, Crobat & Scrafty ain't nothing to sneeze at. Manenectric is pretty good as a Mega but I don't remember when you get the stone. Swalot is... uh, used in an old Fire Red LP, I think? That's the sum total of my exposure to it.

I dunno, I really miss picking which Pokemon had Fly and Surf, I somewhat miss the bicycle, and I really, really miss Dig and Teleport having field effects. I don't at all miss Cut / Strength / Rock Smash / Waterfall / Flash, though. (Especially not Flash.) I didn't mention Dive because Dive made so little impact on me in Black/Black2 that I forgot it was even usable there, and despite needing it in Alpha Sapphire it wasn't as aggravating as the others.

With Kabuto knowing Surf, Waterfall, and Dig, though, I just have to give Cut and Strength out. Gulpin can learn Strength, and when Kabuto evolves into Kabutops it can learn Cut and whoever I forced to learn it before can forget it. This may be a gimmick run that'll end up with me resetting the game two gyms in, but at least I did put some thought into it.

Captain Hair
Dec 31, 2007

Of course, that can backfire... some men like their bitches crazy.
Glad to see that in all this trash talking of gen 1 pokes, nobody dissed my boy Flareon :)

Speaking of eeveeloutions I've almost finished breeding and got shinies in both my vaporeon and Jolteon batch. I evolved them earlier...

Shiny Vaporeon is no longer gen 1 neon pink, instead a rather nice purple.

And Jolteon lost its gen 1 neon green, instead it's... well I don't know how to describe it. It looks closer to the standard yellow only a little green. It looks like it's sick to be honest, kinda dissapointing :(

bradybunch
Jun 14, 2006

Gen 1 Beedrill is cool and good and twineedle wrecks Blues 'zam

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Captain Hair posted:

Glad to see that in all this trash talking of gen 1 pokes, nobody dissed my boy Flareon :)

That was the one time in the history of the games Flareon was halfway decent

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.
I had put down Moon for a bit and just picked it back up. Got to the Elite 4 and uh. Got rocked. Dang. Where is a good place to level up? Running around in the caves isn't doing much. Stupid Snorunts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

TheKingofSprings posted:

That was the one time in the history of the games Flareon was halfway decent

Yeah, 110 Special (plus a serious lack of Rock/Ground coverage) made Flareon just fine. Too bad Fire-types as a whole were medioce 'cause Steel didn't exist yet and nearly all Ice-types were also Water-types.