Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Raxivace posted:

I hope the new season is like 70% James riding into new towns each episode on his motorcycle, going through stock noir plotlines.

This would be fine with Lynch directing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
If James gets a trouble of the week subplot every episode I'd be ok with that

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

This weekend I watched the final episode and FWWM in a double feature, and then was sad. But today I had a baguette with butter and brie on it, and it was delicious.

Geekslinger
Jan 30, 2005

cptn_dr posted:

But today I had a baguette with butter and brie on it, and it was delicious.

Should have had pie and coffee.

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

phew, for a minute there i lost myself
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=snP5dMsFoAY

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SLNQPPvncek

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

If only... :negative:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EIz9mg-hEPg

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

TWO HUNDRED AND FIFTY CUBIC CENTIMETERS
Just finished this today for the first time. It's been on my bucket list for a while ever since I saw a LP of Deadly Premonition, loved it, and heard it was basically a Twin Peaks clone.

I'd say that S1 + the first 1/3 of S2 up until Laura's killer is revealed probably falls into my top 5 shows - definitely top 10. I had heard that a lot of S2 wasn't great, which I kind of regret reading, because it made me go in with a semi-negative mindset. S2 is actually pretty drat good, my (and I think most people's) only personal gripe is the subplots. They were extremely prevalent in the second-third of S2 and I really had a hard time caring about any of them (aside from a couple moments). I didn't want to outright skip them, but there was a large amount of time when a subplot would come up and I'd just tab out, keeping the audio in the background in case I heard anything interesting or funny.

As far as the last third of S2 goes (heavy spoilers): I was extremely pleased to see Coop get back into the FBI and ditch that awful flannelwear. I'm extremely glad the stupid subplots were dealt with in short order. The series finale was the kind of the "what in the actual gently caress is going on" that I expected, but I personally prefer cleaner resolutions than what we got. Having Bob take over Cooper just felt kind of cheap to me - as if they were leaving it open-ended in case they were able to pick up a 3rd season (I have no idea if that was the actual intention or not).

I loved it from the first episode, but this scene is what cemented it for me: https://gfycat.com/FamousFreeBangeltiger

That loving eye contact.

edit: I feel like the color grading changed at some point too. I remember early in S1, there was a scene near the gas station that looked completely drab, as if a storm were approaching. But the camera panned to the sky and you could see that it was a clear and beautiful day. I don't recall seeing much of that in S2; it seemed to be much more vibrant, which completely changes the tone of the show.

-Inu- fucked around with this message at 11:57 on Feb 20, 2017

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Windom Earle sucked and he's the main plotline of the second season.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Great post, Inu, I agree with basically all of it.

And yeah I despise Windom Earle. loving terrible character.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

EmmyOk posted:

It was like they wanted to add someone like the Riddler or the Joker to the show. What, are we turning Agent Cooper into Batman now? Blech.

Cromulent
Dec 22, 2002

People are under a lot of stress, Bradley.

JazzFlight posted:

It was like they wanted to add someone like the Riddler or the Joker to the show. What, are we turning Agent Cooper into Batman now? Blech.
They even started using Dutch angles when shooting (I don't have a TP screenshot handy but this is a dutch angle from Batman). It really was like they were trying to be Batman.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

EmmyOk posted:

The problem was that he acted nothing like the genuinely terrifying madman they showed on that video. Once he showed up in town he acted more like an Adam West Batman villain. The video they showed of him talking about the lodges was genuinely unsettling.

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.

-Inu- posted:

That loving eye contact.

Seriously though, what a perfect moment. I just re-watched the show in preparation for the new season and this part stuck out to me. (how did no one crack?)
It's just so Coop.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

-Inu- posted:

Just finished this today for the first time. It's been on my bucket list for a while ever since I saw a LP of Deadly Premonition, loved it, and heard it was basically a Twin Peaks clone.

I'd say that S1 + the first 1/3 of S2 up until Laura's killer is revealed probably falls into my top 5 shows - definitely top 10. I had heard that a lot of S2 wasn't great, which I kind of regret reading, because it made me go in with a semi-negative mindset. S2 is actually pretty drat good, my (and I think most people's) only personal gripe is the subplots. They were extremely prevalent in the second-third of S2 and I really had a hard time caring about any of them (aside from a couple moments). I didn't want to outright skip them, but there was a large amount of time when a subplot would come up and I'd just tab out, keeping the audio in the background in case I heard anything interesting or funny.

As far as the last third of S2 goes (heavy spoilers): I was extremely pleased to see Coop get back into the FBI and ditch that awful flannelwear. I'm extremely glad the stupid subplots were dealt with in short order. The series finale was the kind of the "what in the actual gently caress is going on" that I expected, but I personally prefer cleaner resolutions than what we got. Having Bob take over Cooper just felt kind of cheap to me - as if they were leaving it open-ended in case they were able to pick up a 3rd season (I have no idea if that was the actual intention or not).

I loved it from the first episode, but this scene is what cemented it for me: https://gfycat.com/FamousFreeBangeltiger

That loving eye contact.

edit: I feel like the color grading changed at some point too. I remember early in S1, there was a scene near the gas station that looked completely drab, as if a storm were approaching. But the camera panned to the sky and you could see that it was a clear and beautiful day. I don't recall seeing much of that in S2; it seemed to be much more vibrant, which completely changes the tone of the show.

I just got to Windom Earle's teser introduction at the end of episode....13 in season 2. I'm glad I'm not the only one who just does not give a flying gently caress about 90% of the townies and their stupid, seemingly unrelated problems. I know that Lynch loves this poo poo, but besides Andy and the secretary, I just do not care about High School Student X and their complicated relationship with Character Y.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

notthegoatseguy posted:

I just got to Windom Earle's teser introduction at the end of episode....13 in season 2. I'm glad I'm not the only one who just does not give a flying gently caress about 90% of the townies and their stupid, seemingly unrelated problems. I know that Lynch loves this poo poo, but besides Andy and the secretary, I just do not care about High School Student X and their complicated relationship with Character Y.

What people often fail to realize about Twin Peaks is that while Lynch definitely set out to integrate a lot of his usual style into it, there's also a subversion of his own style in order to parody or criticize soap operas and the American idea of an idyllic small town. Some disorganized thoughts:
  • Twin Peaks is portrayed as an EveryTown USA. Beautiful scenery, idyllic location, and on the surface peaceful and quiet. But in Lynch's depiction everybody has some insanely complicated plot swirling around them. Even the owner of the diner got it in a complicated plot, has a hitman husband in jail and a long-suppressed love affair with another married man with his own complicated plots. This still exhibits the Lynchian dream logic in that the twists and turns in these characters' lives are much too complex and ridiculous to be believed, and yet they're the exact kind of plots that real soap operas expect you to take seriously. By integrating it into his own work Lynch parodies it simply by casting his own style on it.
  • Lynch himself is sometimes criticized as being overly nonsensical and bizarre. By almost parodying himself with byzantine soap opera subplots, he uses juxtaposition to demonstrate that his "true" style is genuinely more tightly written and meaningful than he is given credit for. There's soap opera nonsense, and then there's Lynch nonsense, and Lynch's nonsense is only nonsense if you don't think about it critically (see that wonderful writeup on Mulholland Drive posted earlier).
  • The contrast between the almost comedic problems of the towns people compared to the genuinely terrifying and troubling problems of Laura Palmer serve to criticize the total self-absorption of the average person. All these people thought their petty problems (how to divvy up saw mill money, who gets to build some dumb building, who's sleeping with who) were of the utmost importance and it blinded them to the girl who was genuinely slowly dying right in front of them. All the signs were there if anyone had cared to look, but they were far too distracted with their own nonsense. This comes into extremely stark relief when you compare the tone of the show to the tone of FWWM. This is an incredibly deliberate choice on Lynch's part and I believe he planned it that way all along. Twin Peaks is often comedic and always strange. While you learn bit by bit about Laura, it's always surrounded by everyone else's goofy bullshit. By the end of the show you think you know what was going on with her, but then you watch FWWM and it's like "nope ,gently caress you, you can't possibly understand the depth of despair in which this girl lived." You have to take the show and the movie as a whole to really appreciate the power of that tonal shift.

I have more thoughts but that's probably enough to get a discussion going if people care to.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

I actually watched Mulholland Drive based on the talk of it in this thread (and it being mentioned in the Legion thread) and loved it. I think to some extent, Lynch having to narrow it down to a feature film kind of trims the fat and still allows him to explore characters and their backstory even if it doesn't tie into the overall plot (and yeah, that isn't exactly the case with MD, but I'll leave that for another thread). But I also think Mulholland Drive is just a near perfect film. You have really strong performances from the entire cast, even for minor characters. I don't know if I can say the same thing about Twin Peaks because outside of Coop and the Sheriff's office, and the other feds that I've seen so far with still about 6 or so episodes to go, I just don't think the performances are that strong. And hell, that might be intentional because there's tons of soap operas that have loving horrible acting performances. But for now it still bothers me, especially when McLaughlin steals every scene he is in.

Maybe that's what is bothering me more than the actual plots, and maybe if I sat down and actually watched Twin Peaks in a few sittings rather than spreading it out over the last 3 months or so, I'd be able to remember and care about these plots.

I actually plan on watching the film after finishing the series because it seems to have a lot of what I like about a Lynch film. I know it was panned when it came out, but the Palmer stuff was the strongest plot to me so far in the series, and I'm looking forward to learning more because I don't think I've gotten to know a lot about Laura because as you say, almost everything we learn about her is coming from other characters.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

notthegoatseguy posted:

I actually plan on watching the film after finishing the series because it seems to have a lot of what I like about a Lynch film. I know it was panned when it came out, but the Palmer stuff was the strongest plot to me so far in the series, and I'm looking forward to learning more because I don't think I've gotten to know a lot about Laura because as you say, almost everything we learn about her is coming from other characters.

It was panned by people who didn't understand it. It actually got quite a lot of acclaim from people like advocates for rape victims as being a powerful representation of the feelings and experiences of a victim of sexual abuse.

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

I was under the impression that after the first few episodes of S2, Lynch was absent from the show working on a movie. Then he came back for the last episode or two and was heavily annoyed by the poo poo Frost and fam pulled such as putting Coop in flannel, and creating all of the dumb subplots. Hence why all of those subplots died a swift death - because Lynch came back to finish off the show and wanted nothing to do with that poo poo.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

-Inu- posted:

I was under the impression that after the first few episodes of S2, Lynch was absent from the show working on a movie. Then he came back for the last episode or two and was heavily annoyed by the poo poo Frost and fam pulled such as putting Coop in flannel, and creating all of the dumb subplots. Hence why all of those subplots died a swift death - because Lynch came back to finish off the show and wanted nothing to do with that poo poo.

S1 and early S2 are just as riddled with goofy soap opera subplots. That they were slightly more tightly written is irrelevant when the post I was responding to basically wanted all the drama-y subplots excised from the show.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

S1 and early S2 are just as riddled with goofy soap opera subplots. That they were slightly more tightly written is irrelevant when the post I was responding to basically wanted all the drama-y subplots excised from the show.

Yeah the problem isn't that the goofy stuff exist, it's that those elements basically took over the show for a while, and it really didn't help that what was supposed to be the more serious thread, the Windham Earl story, was so poorly done.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

"Windom Earle has a mind like a diamond; cold, hard, and brilliant"

sicccccck can't wait to meet this dark reflection of Cooper.

*hard cut to man in his pyjamas dancing around the woods making a papier maché chess piece"

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Windom Earle kidnapped someone by dressing up as a horse. He also killed Ted Raimi and dressed his body up as a giant chess piece.

I don't think he was ever supposed to be that serious.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

The Windom Earle that was hinted at and the one that showed up are poles apart and the one that showed up was shithouse.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

EmmyOk posted:

"Windom Earle has a mind like a diamond; cold, hard, and brilliant"

sicccccck can't wait to meet this dark reflection of Cooper.

*hard cut to man in his pyjamas dancing around the woods making a papier maché chess piece"

If you're confused, he's already won. :stare:

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Windom Earle is a big time clown dipshit and he can go to hell.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

I love Earle's horse scene and make no apologies.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

A True Jar Jar Fan posted:

Yeah, that is one of the highlights of the show for me, too. Windom Earle's demise is also one of my favourite parts of the final episode.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

A True Jar Jar Fan posted:

I love the Horse scene, but I wouldn't call it good. It's just so funny. Plus, any scene with Major Briggs is worth watching.

And More posted:

Yeah, that is one of the highlights of the show for me, too. Windom Earle's demise is also one of my favourite parts of the final episode.

Earle's death is so good just because of how dumb he was in earlier episodes.

egon_beeblebrox fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Feb 20, 2017

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
Will Lynch disturb us with something that rivals Maddie's final scene?

Twenty-five loving years later and it's still hard to watch.

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

Fair. I guess the subplots never bothered me in S1 because they were never the focus. I actually really enjoyed how the show could go from <extremely serious scene with Laura Palmer's Theme playing> to something like a llama in a vet without skipping a beat. It becomes significantly less charming when it's the focus.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
Lynch's intent was to literally leave Laura's death unsolved and bring all the soap opera stuff to the forefront with the investigation as a catalyst for extreme behavior, but s2 really suffers from his lack of involvement.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Mister Kingdom posted:

Will Lynch disturb us with something that rivals Maddie's final scene?

Twenty-five loving years later and it's still hard to watch.

I hope so. I can't believe that made it onto TV in the early 90's.

Captain_Person
Apr 7, 2013

WHAT CAN THE HARVEST HOPE FOR, IF NOT FOR THE CARE OF THE REAPER MAN?
Every couple of days I remember that we're getting eighteen full episodes of 'co-writren, directed and edited by David Lynch' and I couldn't be more excited. It's going to be insane.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Lynch's intent was to literally leave Laura's death unsolved and bring all the soap opera stuff to the forefront with the investigation as a catalyst for extreme behavior, but s2 really suffers from his lack of involvement.

I'm glad this didn't happen because the reveal and the events surrounding it are perfect and Fire Walk With Me is fantastic.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I've always wondered if that quote or whatever about Lynch's intent didn't mean that Lynch just didn't want the murder solved in season 2. It would be odd to do such a 180 from that position to making a movie like FWWM.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

cis autodrag posted:

The problem was that he acted nothing like the genuinely terrifying madman they showed on that video. Once he showed up in town he acted more like an Adam West Batman villain. The video they showed of him talking about the lodges was genuinely unsettling.

His only actual appearances should have been that video and when he pretended to be a friend of Donna's father. He's scary if you spend no time at all watching him cavort around a shack like a demented satyr auditioning for 60s Batman and just hear about him and see the bodies.

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.

The Vosgian Beast posted:

His only actual appearances should have been that video and when he pretended to be a friend of Donna's father. He's scary if you spend no time at all watching him cavort around a shack like a demented satyr auditioning for 60s Batman and just hear about him and see the bodies.

OK I don't hate Windom Earle as much as everyone else apparently does, but this is emphatically true.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

What is the video people are referring to? The only time I think I've seen him was at the very end of episode 13 in season 2. Did he make an appearance before then?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

My God, it's full of cat pictures!

notthegoatseguy posted:

What is the video people are referring to? The only time I think I've seen him was at the very end of episode 13 in season 2. Did he make an appearance before then?

There's a scene near the end of the series where Cooper and Truman are watching a video from Earle's days in the Bureau and on Project Bluebook, talking about the Lodges.

Finished the series, have yet to watch the movie. My wife wants to watch it during the day so it won't give her nightmares (maybe).

Meaty Ore fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Feb 22, 2017

• Locked thread