Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Rondette posted:

What about using inheritance money to buy another house because your wife has a penchant for buying crap and has filled the old one?

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3809188&userid=107498

:argh:

I wonder if he can divorce her and give her the house with all the crap in it as "her part." It would be completely worth it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

GoutPatrol posted:

It took me 5 minutes today to get my 7th graders to calm down after I needed to explain what a sextant was.

Sextant gives grown ups studying for their Master Mariners exams a chuckle so...

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

Nail Rat posted:

My parents have PMI on their house they bought for $180k 13 years ago and my dad makes somewhere around $150k counting his bonus...my mom probably makes around $50k. Talk about BWM. There won't be an inheritance.

My dad also recently told me he had a 401k loan out to pay credit cards down. I have no idea how the gently caress they spend all this money living in such a cheap home.

My parents are the same way. Just wait until they start blaming you and asking you for money "from paying for your childhood" and how you were their 401k investment. BWM still talking to my parents.

Pipistrelle
Jun 18, 2011

Seems the high horse is taking them all home

Rondette posted:

What about using inheritance money to buy another house because your wife has a penchant for buying crap and has filled the old one?

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3809188&userid=107498

:argh:

You didn't quote one of their "creative solutions." The kids had different locks on their bedroom doors with keys Mom didn't have, so she couldn't get in and start hoarding in their rooms, too. Mom can't be trusted not to make your rooms unlivable, kiddos! That's not psychologically damaging to young children, right?

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
But she's fine in every other way. She's pleasant, and she's not a dirty hoarder.

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

Nail Rat posted:

But she's fine in every other way. She's pleasant, and she's not a dirty hoarder.

People can be surprisingly good at normalizing mental illness in people they're close to.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

pr0zac posted:

People can be surprisingly good at normalizing mental illness in people they're close to.

And I appreciate it, buddy.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

pr0zac posted:

But it's okay, he's not an enabler, he just can't force her to get therapy*! :downs:

*Technically true that he can't, but that doesn't mean he should be giving her an entire loving other house to hoard in. She'll have zero incentive to fix her poo poo as long as he keeps playing along with it. And :10bux: says the situation is loving up his kids, even if they manage to avoid hoarding tendencies themselves.)

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Nail Rat posted:

My parents have PMI on their house they bought for $180k 13 years ago and my dad makes somewhere around $150k counting his bonus...my mom probably makes around $50k. Talk about BWM. There won't be an inheritance.

My dad also recently told me he had a 401k loan out to pay credit cards down. I have no idea how the gently caress they spend all this money living in such a cheap home.

This poo poo's hitting close to home. My parents drew $13,000 from my Dad's 401k to pay the property taxes on their house. I keep insisting they downsize and put money aside every month for taxes, but suprise! It's property tax day, same as last year. If only there was a way to have predicted that happening.

They're looking at building a cabin in Wyoming now, because there's no income tax in WY. :smith: The property tax is 9.5% in WY, according to the internets.

Droo
Jun 25, 2003

BloodBag posted:

They're looking at building a cabin in Wyoming now, because there's no income tax in WY. :smith: The property tax is 9.5% in WY, according to the internets.

I love how people come up with these ideas. Move to FL/TX/NV and buy a nice but cheap small house in a suburban area? No we are going to build a cabin in Wyoming!

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
What are utilities like for a remote cabin? And nearest hospital?

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Accretionist posted:

Usually a well and a sceptic tank, most places where there's a road there's power and phone if you're willing to pay to have the line installed, but if we're talking really deep rural, you're looking at generators and satcom.

In any case, it ain't cheap.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Accretionist posted:

We don't need that, we're just not going to get sick or old!

You think people who can't plan for something that literally rolls around every year can plan for something unpredictable?

I can say these things because my family are crazy hoarders and the PMI/hoarding/401(k) loans gave me the shakes.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Nail Rat posted:

Are they paying PMI because they still don't have 20% equity? Jeez, find a crooked inspector who will give you an inflated appraisal already.

Speaking of people who paid a crooked inspector to get an inflated appraisal, one of my sister-in-law creditors called my wife looking for her (we live 1200 miles away). Maybe it's an old debt, but this is the family that FINALLY got steady work and proceeded to buy a boat, huge rear end truck, and the run-down house next to them as an investment. To make matters worse they now making/spending more money than ever at the precise same time their son needs financial aid for college. He's looking at student loans to study...marine archeology. They live in a landlocked state and I'm not certain he's ever been to a beach.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Krispy Kareem posted:

Are they paying PMI because they still don't have 20% equity? Jeez, find a crooked inspector who will give you an inflated appraisal already.

I would assume so, I don't pry too much because it infuriates me too much to see how they waste money. With their income and kids who have been living out of the house for nearly a decade (and I paid rent to them after college) there's absolutely no way that house shouldn't be paid off.

My dad also wants to cash out his 401k and take his pension in a lump sum when he retires to open a trail supply store in a strip mall that's probably a good quarter mile from an actual trail head. And there's a grocery store in the strip mall.

They're not getting a cent from me.

Nail Rat fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Feb 20, 2017

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012

Krispy Kareem posted:

He's looking at student loans to study...marine archeology. They live in a landlocked state and I'm not certain he's ever been to a beach.

That's not a good idea.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Accretionist posted:

That's not a good idea.

I'm hoping he's just grasping for majors like most 18 year olds.

We're rooting for him to go to my wife's alma mater so he can get away from home and maybe veer into our sphere of influence. He's already looking at 40k in student loans at a minimum. I'm going to go out on a limb and assume any job in marine archeology that can pay back 40k in loans requires at least a Masters.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Krispy Kareem posted:

We're rooting for him to go to my wife's alma mater so he can get away from home and maybe veer into our sphere of influence. He's already looking at 40k in student loans at a minimum. I'm going to go out on a limb and assume any job in marine archeology that can pay back 40k in loans requires at least a Masters.

I think it requires a minor in bank robbery.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012

Krispy Kareem posted:

job in marine archeology

Haha

I think you misspelled bank teller

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Krispy Kareem posted:

He's looking at student loans to study...marine archeology. They live in a landlocked state and I'm not certain he's ever been to a beach.

He only needs to find one sunken ship full of gold and/or Atlantis. :colbert:

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Apparently there are some professor spots in marine archaeology that pay $90k, but I think that's probably the marine archaeology equivalent of being drafted by an NBA team.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:
Some pretty hot takes in this thread.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Krispy Kareem posted:

As far as I know the only outlets for marine archaeologists is academia. I work in marine operations, I talk to ports, to the people who maintain navigation channels, shipping companies, all those folks. Never once have I heard the phrase "Oh we need to get a marine archaeologist involved".

And I've had to sit through afternoon-long presentations on the mating habits of cetaceans.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Krispy Kareem posted:

Speaking of people who paid a crooked inspector to get an inflated appraisal, one of my sister-in-law creditors called my wife looking for her (we live 1200 miles away). Maybe it's an old debt, but this is the family that FINALLY got steady work and proceeded to buy a boat, huge rear end truck, and the run-down house next to them as an investment. To make matters worse they now making/spending more money than ever at the precise same time their son needs financial aid for college. He's looking at student loans to study...marine archeology. They live in a landlocked state and I'm not certain he's ever been to a beach.

Hmm...

Leviathan Song posted:

It is actually the house right next door to mine and I wanted it fixed up right and rented out to someone not lovely. I was pretty worried that we'd get a meth lab or drug dealers or the like for neighbors since it was in bad enough shape not to even attract flippers. Worst case scenario, my dog has a really big yard now and I have a weight room/storage shed/endless project.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Krispy Kareem posted:

Has he read a lot of Clive Cussler books?

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

baquerd posted:

He only needs to find one sunken ship full of gold and/or Atlantis. :colbert:

You joke, but I knew a recent University of Phoenix graduate who kept bragging about a secret gig he was going on in Alaska. We later found out it was a sketchy plan to search for sunken treasure. They did not find any.

Whoa, someone else did successfully recover an actual treasure chest full of gold recently: https://www.adn.com/alaska-news/article/after-more-100-years-gold-ship-sunk-alaska-waters-sale/2016/03/11/

quote:

Two Washington companies, Ocean Mar and MK Salvage Venture, worked together to resurrect the materials in a months-long effort that involved a massive claw pulling the 85-pound treasure chest -- among other items -- up out of the water.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

I wonder how many kids think archaeology is like Indiana Jones.

I mean if that's true then marine archaeology must be that but you fight mermaid nazis instead right :downs:

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

ate all the Oreos posted:

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/2015/05/150514-indiana-jones-archaeology-exhibit-national-geographic-museum/

quote:

“These films introduced so many people to archaeology,” says Hiebert. “We can document their impact statistically, based on the number of archaeology students before and after the first film. Some of the best archaeologists in the world today say Indiana Jones was what sparked their initial interest."

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost
I have a friend who was in his fourth year of his archeology degree when we saw Contact in the theatre. He walked out white as a ghost, convinced he had wastes four years of his life because he should have been a radio astronomer.

A few weeks later we saw The Mummy and he wanted to be an archeologist again.

Today he works in banking.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Dillbag posted:

I have a friend who was in his fourth year of his archeology degree when we saw Contact in the theatre. He walked out white as a ghost, convinced he had wastes four years of his life because he should have been a radio astronomer.

A few weeks later we saw The Mummy and he wanted to be an archeologist again.

Today he works in banking.

Did he just watch The Big Short?

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

FrozenVent posted:

Did he just watch The Big Short?

Na he just got tired of being a poor.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

pr0zac posted:

Other people are crazy, my wife just has trouble with some things. Other people are racist, my father is just cantankerous.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:

Dillbag posted:

Na he just got tired of being a poor.

This got a decent laugh out of me, thanks.

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost

ate all the Oreos posted:

I mean if that's true then marine archaeology must be that but you fight mermaid nazis instead right :downs:

I work with a lot of Grade 7-8 students, and let me tell you- there seems to be this weird, persistent interest in Marine Biology (is that at all similar to marine Archeology? Maybe. I don't know). In every class I've ever taught in, there's always a good handful of students who say that they want to become a Marine Biologist. And whenever they say it, they always say it with a smirk like it's the mightiest of career decisions. So they don't just say,

"And when I start college, I'll be studying Marine Biology."

They say:

"And when I start college, I'll be studying Marine Biology.:smug:"

Who planted this idea into generations of young teenagers heads? And whenever I prod them for details on it, they can never tell me what the field actually involves. At this point, I'm convinced that they say it because it's a smart-sounding thing to study (and cool to brag about, I guess?). It's like all of their parents were George Costanza and told them that Marine Biology is life.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

melon cat posted:

I work with a lot of Grade 7-8 students, and let me tell you- there seems to be this weird, persistent interest in Marine Biology...

Who planted this idea into generations of young teenagers heads? And whenever I prod them for details on it, they can never tell me what the field actually involves. At this point, I'm convinced that they say it because it's a smart-sounding thing to study (and cool to brag about, I guess?). It's like all of their parents were George Costanza and told them that Marine Biology is life.

Is there a class aquarium field trip near that age? A select few marine biologists get to play with dolphins and seals and crap, which seems really cool at that age.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

Nail Rat posted:

Apparently there are some professor spots in marine archaeology that pay $90k, but I think that's probably the marine archaeology equivalent of being drafted by an NBA team.

Yeah but studying underwater dinosaurs sounds really fun

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

blugu64 posted:

You're confusing archaeology and paleontology.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

blugu64 posted:

you fool, you study underwater cities like atlantis. gosh.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

Ornamented Death posted:

You're confusing archaeology and paleontology.

You mean archaeology and praxeology.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mantle
May 15, 2004

I'm not surprised at this at all. When I was 5 I wanted to be a palentologist because of dinosaurs and Indiana Jones.

It was only later that I realized I wanted to be the field worker digging up the dirt and not actually learning about biology.

• Locked thread