Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jarogue
Nov 3, 2012

Gorgolflox posted:

I hope we get a 17 hour long video explaining it

And that's just for the map alone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

a.lo posted:

nintendo sent the gamexplain man a switch

they put up an unboxing video

...it's them taking the items out of the box it shipped in

...and it still takes them over nine minutes to do so

Calaveron posted:

Remember how it was a whole thing how people thought botw Link was a girl because he was slimmer than usual and had a pony tail
If they made Link a girl goons would complain that her clothes didn't get torn apart when she took damage.

asecondduck fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Feb 20, 2017

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

lelandjs posted:

the bombs are tits now

Spellman
May 31, 2011

lelandjs posted:

...and it still takes them over nine minutes to do soIf they made Link a girl goons would complain that her clothes didn't get torn apart when she took damage.

If it takes you less than 10 minutes to unbox your switch, you're a bitch

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

I thought that was a joke like most of the rest of the thread but no, there's really a 9 minute un-unboxing video hahaha

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

LethalGeek posted:

Idk who this Jim person is but listened for 5 second before deciding they sounded like a twat. But lots of people have bad opinions

jim sterling is cool and makes good videos, hth

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

lelandjs posted:

If they made Link a girl goons would complain that her clothes didn't get torn apart when she took damage.

Just wait for Zelda Legends: Heroes

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Jim is better than this. Like, I disagree with his main point as I've done before, and I'm okay with that, but his argument here is more poorly presented than it usually is, and he just kind of rambles and doesn't bring it into something coherent.

His intent here is clear; it's clickbaity on purpose and he doesn't really care about piracy, he's trying to make a topic that tries to drag Nintendo out in the open and force them to talk about their contentID policies. Unfortunately, Nintendo is more likely to be tight lipped about this, as they always are - and so all Jim is left with is a false equivalency. He's trying to antagonize them with the same tactics that he does with other publishers, and... Nintendo doesn't really play this sort of game. His strategy is flawed because it involves a certain level of personal discourse, which doesn't work because the actual people making these kinds of decisions are separated both by a very tight lipped corporate culture and a language barrier (Reggie is a figurehead, he's never gonna get involved in something like this).

Also, this has more to do with Google and the opportunities it affords major companies than Nintendo itself. He's putting the cart before the horse, basically.

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

lelandjs posted:

Did they at least remember to actually open the box?

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere

well why not posted:

7. Snipperclips GOTY

I'll snip ur clip

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

Takoluka posted:

Personally, I think that if a streamer or something makes hand over fist playing games, the devs should see SOME piece of that. It frustrates me to no end to see all sorts of cool, fun indie games or even some really good new, innovative AAAs straight up not get sales, because "I'd rather watch so-and-so play it to get the full experience." Yeah, it doesn't 1:1 translate to losses, but I personally know people who wanted and almost bought Until Dawn but didn't because a Twitch streamer they liked played it, and since they got the story from them, they never once wanted to buy it themselves. It's not entirely the same as Nintendo seeking out a Wolly World BGM, but I'd like it if creators profited more reliably from other people streaming their content.

I think we could have an interesting discussion about whether and to what degree long-form LPs act as advertising or as purchase substitutes, but it's not entirely relevant to Nintendo's use of ContentID. They're tagging just about anything that contains any Nintendo footage, even those videos that are well within fair use policy. Google definitely deserves some blame for developing a system that allows claims of this type to go forward, but Nintendo is one of the most consistent with these kind of unfair ContentID claims.

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

lelandjs posted:

Is this unusual? I dunno, I've never watched an unboxing video because watching someone take stuff out of a box doesn't sound very entertaining

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Takoluka posted:

Personally, I think that if a streamer or something makes hand over fist playing games, the devs should see SOME piece of that. It frustrates me to no end to see all sorts of cool, fun indie games or even some really good new, innovative AAAs straight up not get sales, because "I'd rather watch so-and-so play it to get the full experience." Yeah, it doesn't 1:1 translate to losses, but I personally know people who wanted and almost bought Until Dawn but didn't because a Twitch streamer they liked played it, and since they got the story from them, they never once wanted to buy it themselves. It's not entirely the same as Nintendo seeking out a Wolly World BGM, but I'd like it if creators profited more reliably from other people streaming their content.

I've never watched a Let's Play of a game I didn't already own. A lot of times I'll watch them for tips (Binding of Issac) or for a sort of "Player's Commentary" where they give insights or information about the game as they play (this also includes MST3K-style ribbing). With an 18 month old child it can be... challenging to play videogames while she's awake, so recently I've been watching LPs of games I own and like and want to replay but it's easier (and arguably better) to listen to someone else playing it in the background while I play with my daughter instead.

[Edit: fixed a typo]

asecondduck fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Feb 20, 2017

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Never pay with you daughter, my goodness! What stores even accept that as currency?

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax

katkillad2 posted:

I'll snip ur clip

:getin:

EpicNemesis
Dec 3, 2005

Suaimhneas posted:

Is this unusual? I dunno, I've never watched an unboxing video because watching someone take stuff out of a box doesn't sound very entertaining

I watch them all the time. They are hilarious. *Spends 2 minutes on turning the box over, 45 seconds leafing through the operators manual/looking at stickers, 1 minute on the charger, and extra minute on whatever peripheral may or may not be enclosed, then 10 seconds on whatever device they unbox*

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

Suaimhneas posted:

To this day, my favorite unboxing video will always be the one DarkSydePhil did for Final Fantasy: Lightning's Return which was a 15 minute video in which he forgets to open the box.

Jarogue
Nov 3, 2012

https://twitter.com/NinWire/status/833771442349027329

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Deak

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Somehow I snagged videogames.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Watching a 9 minute unboxing video means that there's nine less minutes I gotta wait for the Nintendo Switch!!!!!!

Also, we crossed the less than a million second threshold yesterday.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

VideoGames posted:

Not a lot of Lana Del Ray fans, I guess.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

lelandjs posted:

Not a lot of Lana Del Ray fans, I guess.

glassyalabolas
Oct 21, 2006
I want to bowl with the gangsters...

how the gently caress do you spend 9 mins unboxing the shipping box? Better yet, why the gently caress did I spend 9 mins watching it.

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

this thread maybe doesnt have room for 2 green xbox one avs
Capacity required for download version 32.00 GB
* A microSD card of 32GB or more is required separately.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

yesss i got the id name i wanted

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Thanks, claimed.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
nice, I managed to snag skeleton_wars, which apparently is my gamertag now by majority vote on Steam, Capcom Fighters Network, and Nintendo.

I wanted "a ghost" but they wouldn't let me have a space in there :(

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I snagged hollandoates. :yeah:

Erata
May 11, 2009
Lipstick Apathy

VideoGames posted:

Prepare to get hacked for that gold.

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax

Detective No. 27 posted:

I snagged hollandoates. :yeah:

Snagged 'Chuggy'. Suck it nerds

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Erata posted:

Prepare to get hacked for that gold.

BRING IT LANA DEL RAY!

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Name yourself PowerRangers and see how petty Saban can be.

Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.

Done! It's nice that it's apparently free to change too.

Major Ryan
May 11, 2008

Completely blank

TVs Ian posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TqzpKIplOog

Another game coming to Switch (probably end of 2017/early 2018). A platform game with pinball elements and also you play as a dung beetle.

This looks surprisingly lovely.

And my UserID snagged too. Cool beans.

e: In as MajorRyan.

Major Ryan fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Feb 20, 2017

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Sprite141 posted:

Done! It's nice that it's apparently free to change too.

*surprising

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Not even Sony lets you freely change your ID.

They're already doing online better!

Jebediah
Oct 7, 2009
Grimey Drawer
I'm dfwlly you can find my in Hyrule bros and gals

Erata
May 11, 2009
Lipstick Apathy

VideoGames posted:

BRING IT LANA DEL RAY!

The password was babyiwasborntodie
Im in

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LoveBoatCaptain
Aug 26, 2008

Celebrate as all our past ways wither, lead the way to an age of light

TFRazorsaw posted:

Jim is better than this. Like, I disagree with his main point as I've done before, and I'm okay with that, but his argument here is more poorly presented than it usually is, and he just kind of rambles and doesn't bring it into something coherent.

His intent here is clear; it's clickbaity on purpose and he doesn't really care about piracy, he's trying to make a topic that tries to drag Nintendo out in the open and force them to talk about their contentID policies. Unfortunately, Nintendo is more likely to be tight lipped about this, as they always are - and so all Jim is left with is a false equivalency. He's trying to antagonize them with the same tactics that he does with other publishers, and... Nintendo doesn't really play this sort of game. His strategy is flawed because it involves a certain level of personal discourse, which doesn't work because the actual people making these kinds of decisions are separated both by a very tight lipped corporate culture and a language barrier (Reggie is a figurehead, he's never gonna get involved in something like this).

Also, this has more to do with Google and the opportunities it affords major companies than Nintendo itself. He's putting the cart before the horse, basically.

No, Jim was better than this. He's been on a downward spiral ever since digital homicide sued him and has gradually turned into a bitter, petty manchild.

• Locked thread