Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Whatever the fun and interesting thing in today's daily was, I missed it. Just a straightforward ??? to Mega Satan with like zero fuckin damage ups beyond the Dark Matter in the first devil deal and also a Goat Head on like Womb 1. I did have Bumbo give me Guppy's Head, which I hadn't ever seen happen before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Whatever the fun and interesting thing in today's daily was, I missed it. Just a straightforward ??? to Mega Satan with like zero fuckin damage ups beyond the Dark Matter in the first devil deal and also a Goat Head on like Womb 1. I did have Bumbo give me Guppy's Head, which I hadn't ever seen happen before.

Bumbo sometimes drop random items. He blocked a doorway with soymilk in the Chest last week. :nono:

Ashroth
Nov 13, 2012
Avoiding the early devil deals got me both conceptions along with deaths touch. Feeding Bumbo did give me crickets head and steven, which did help a lot.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!
The challenge room in caves 2 has mask of infamy, but you'll be fighting mega maw and mega fatty to keep it, which takes -forever- with so little damage.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help
I used to wonder why Bisnap is so adamant about not taking any pills without the PhD -- ever since original Afterbirth, I guess.

A few runs with the Keeper where a health down pill completely destroyed otherwise very promising (and surprising fun) builds on the Sheol and now I know exactly why.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!
In Flash Isaac I used to hold every unidentified pill until I was at death's door on the off-chance that it was a legit full health pill or a bad trip pill, but these days I just pop em when I get em. I guess i"m more scared of Paralysis or I'm Excited in a boss room than I am of potentially losing some important stats.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

AbstractNapper posted:

I used to wonder why Bisnap is so adamant about not taking any pills without the PhD -- ever since original Afterbirth, I guess.

A few runs with the Keeper where a health down pill completely destroyed otherwise very promising (and surprising fun) builds on the Sheol and now I know exactly why.

Yeah I try to avoid using pills as Keeper unless there is a health up on the floor.

My general rules for mitigating pills:

Try to use unidentified pills near something you want to blow up (in case of Explosive Diarrhea)
Don't use unidentified pills if you only have read hearts and haven't beaten the floor's boss unless you've already found Bad Trip
Don't use unidentified pills if there are enemies in the room
Do use unidentified pills in curse rooms (in case of Power Pill, Walking on Sunshine, Telepills, and possibly Percs! later in the game)
Don't use unidentified pills if Bombs are Key will totally screw you (for example if you are in The Chest/Cathedral with 0 bombs)
Wait until you've cleared the floor to try unidentified pills if Amnesia is still undiscovered and you absolutely loathe it like I do.
Don't get too upset when you get luck/speed/tears down pills. Think of them as an incentive to find PHD.

Also, I missed 100 days but I got a shot of 100.5:

send help

END CHEMTRAILS NOW
Apr 16, 2005

Pillbug

DACK FAYDEN posted:

I did find something pretty interesting in this daily. I forget if it was Depths 1 or 2, but in the depths one of the floors has a trap room with 4 chests. Don't open those. Instead, defeat the miniboss and take the Left Hand. Then go back and do the trap room. One of the red chests will teleport you to the devil deal. Take Athame.

In the shop, you'll find Dull Razor. A Brimstone ring that can create black hearts every 2 rooms is not too bad for an active item, but it gets much more potent when you have The Negative and Curse of the Tower (if you choose to take it).

Also, doing the 5 dice room after picking up Goat Head will give you a chance to buy The Void and Maw of the Void (no idea if Goat Head is necessary). I didn't take the Void, and I think that was the right decision. However, clearing the Dark Room will produce a Crooked Penny, so it might be possible to do something good with that.

Pills aren't worth using, except the for the blue-green Tears Up.

END CHEMTRAILS NOW fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Feb 19, 2017

comingafteryouall
Aug 2, 2011

[quote="Jibo" post=""469564483"]

Also, I missed 100 days but I got a shot of 100.5:

send help
[/quote]

You just really put my embarrassing 400 hours in perspective. Thank you!

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!
This daily's first floor is sick. Polyphemus, Small Rock, Steven with a vanilla Judas start, so you have the book as well. Restock is in the first floor shop but not enough cash to buy it afaik.

Second floor has curse of the blind, all items are safe to pick up, devil room has these items (dunno if it's the same for you): right: sacrificial dagger, left:whore of babylon

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Man, gently caress dailies. Does Steam Achievement Manager actually work for Dedication/The Marathon?

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Yes it does

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help
Turns out the Keeper becomes pretty decent with the wooden nickel. Even on a run with a mediocre build you can pretty much guarantee you get the arcade rooms where you can go nuts on the Blood Banks for luck-ups and the possible Blood Bag health up to save for later and recover from taking a one-heart deal with the devil.

If you have swallowed penny then that helps a lot too.

Careful with the blood banks though, because they ended more runs that I like to admit, because I was forgetting to restore my health between donating blood...

Also, the sacrifice rooms are almost always viable if you have swallowed penny or if you saved pennies drops around the floor, so you can pretty much go up to the 6 to 7 retries it needs to get you an angel item or teleport you to angel/devil rooms.

It seems though that the Keeper has higher chance to get swallowed penny, cause I was getting it every other run or even in consecutive runs (not in my winning Sheol/ Lamb run though, but I had the sack of pennies, Fanny Pack and humbling bundle, so that worked out pretty ok).

Now, I have only left to do the Boss Rush- Hush - Delirium run with him... Which I hate.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
So was cruising around on twitch and came across the rules for the new boilr

http://pastebin.com/rTdffnYL

it's going to be slow and boring just like the old boilr

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
As someone who hasn't ever watched the races, uh... aren't they speedrun races? Why are there all these weird changes and rules about items and mandatory room clearing and all angel/devil rooms have at least one item and all this crap? Start game, gotta go fast, done.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord

flyboi posted:

So was cruising around on twitch and came across the rules for the new boilr

http://pastebin.com/rTdffnYL

it's going to be slow and boring just like the old boilr

Seems like a bunch of dumb rules.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

DACK FAYDEN posted:

As someone who hasn't ever watched the races, uh... aren't they speedrun races? Why are there all these weird changes and rules about items and mandatory room clearing and all angel/devil rooms have at least one item and all this crap? Start game, gotta go fast, done.

You're thinking of Balls of Steel which was meant to go fast as gently caress. Boilr was always super slow due to arbitrary rules crumps placed on the game. In the WotL days every good item (dr fetus, knife, habit, no brimsnapping) were banned along with other really dumb rules and it was a race to the heart. Average race would take anywhere from 20-30 minutes and compared to BoS was just boring.

Don't be surprised if crumps sets his chat to sub only mode and forces ads down your throat because he's so broke this is about his last attempt to not be homeless.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
I mean, they explain those rules right there in the document; their viewers think it's boring if players bomb through rooms or reset until they get good treasures. Doesn't seem that extraneous to me.

E: I'm probably not the most informed on this, though. I can't remember what the rules were of the races I've enjoyed.

Pigbuster fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Feb 20, 2017

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
it's more boring if you try to make a game heavily based on RNG play by a strict banlist, put in rules strictly for slowing people down, and then tell them to go fast(???)

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

IronicDongz posted:

it's more boring if you try to make a game heavily based on RNG play by a strict banlist, put in rules strictly for slowing people down, and then tell them to go fast(???)

Yeah, Balls of Steel was much better entertainment. It's a shame that the faster kind of runs with JudasD6 they did near the end always was split screen, because the 4 man races they did with IsaacD6 sometimes got extremely intense.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

IronicDongz posted:

Right, I'm coming at this with no Isaac-race-watching experience at all, but I figure if you're going to race this swingy-rear end game, you should embrace it.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Psychedelicatessen posted:

Yeah, Balls of Steel was much better entertainment. It's a shame that the faster kind of runs with JudasD6 they did near the end always was split screen, because the 4 man races they did with IsaacD6 sometimes got extremely intense.

Does anybody still do BoS-like steams?

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

Crackbone posted:

Does anybody still do BoS-like steams?

I don't know if hyphen_ated still posts in here but he was practicing for some upcoming maggie tournament where they built in d6 to her as a secondary item. Dunno when/where the tournament is though.

Hyphen-ated
Apr 24, 2006
Not to be confused with endash or minus.

flyboi posted:

I don't know if hyphen_ated still posts in here but he was practicing for some upcoming maggie tournament where they built in d6 to her as a secondary item. Dunno when/where the tournament is though.

That tournament is coming up this Saturday and Sunday starting at 9 am pacific both days. Saturday is a "fun bracket" where all the entrants are people from the TO's stream community with little/no racing experience. Sunday is most of the best racers in the world (I expect to lose in the first round)

ruleset: http://imgur.com/a/OWwlE

bracket: http://challonge.com/bfftournamentcomp

streamed on: https://www.twitch.tv/tyrannasauruslex

prize pool: couple hundred bucks of steam gift cards

Hyphen-ated fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Feb 20, 2017

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe
The Switch release of Afterbirth has slipped back, but they're adding an NES-style instruction booklet to the pack.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
That's pretty awesome. Unsurprisingly they're basing the design off the Zelda booklet.

TheJadedOne
Aug 13, 2004
untold number of game breaks and angel rooms later... still no delirious... I really am doubting the item is in the game for me... burning out and getting to the point of not enjoying the game.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

IMJack posted:

The Switch release of Afterbirth has slipped back, but they're adding an NES-style instruction booklet to the pack.

I still can't get over the fact that Mother 3 is too controversial for Nintendo to localize it but Binding of Isaac is on multiple Nintendo consoles.

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

AlexJade posted:

untold number of game breaks and angel rooms later... still no delirious... I really am doubting the item is in the game for me... burning out and getting to the point of not enjoying the game.

Maggy start, get some hearts and batteries on the floor from cleared rooms/tinted rocks and then:
Throw yourself at sacrifice room spikes 6-7 times for the angelroom/item chance. Reset if you don't get the item/angel room teleport.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Guy Mann posted:

I still can't get over the fact that Mother 3 is too controversial for Nintendo to localize it but Binding of Isaac is on multiple Nintendo consoles.
One involves Nintendo spending money. One doesn't, because it's already in English.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Man, gently caress dailies. Does Steam Achievement Manager actually work for Dedication/The Marathon?

I think unlocking the achievement via SAM doesn't actually give you the corresponding in-game reward, though.

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

Unlocked Mega Mush and Godhead yesterday and today! Now I just have a few unlocks for Jacob and Esau and a bunch of hard mode marks (I got most of my unlocks in Afterbirth and ported them over with alt+f2, which doesn't add post-it marks). My Lost boss rush run was insane with first floor goat head and tech .5 and second floor magic skin. Nothing outright broken (except guppy), but stats through the roof.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Ok, Backasswards is a really silly challenge. I just held R until I spawned with a high-damage build that could trivialize Mega Satan, and then the rest of the challenge was a freebie.

notoriousman
Nov 18, 2007

I'M AWARE I'M
AN IDIOT
If you use the reroll machine in the Catacombs 2 treasure room during today's daily, you can come across Tech 0.5 which trivializes the rest of the run (and also stacks well with the Technology you can get in the Dark Room).

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
I just struggled my rear end off to beat Delirium with Keeper. I took Undefined and got stuck with a terrible build that left me with a tear rate of over 50, but I thankfully had a few Dead Cats to give me quite a few chances at beating him, and managed to do it!

I loving forgot to quit and restart the game so it didn't loving count. :negative:

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Kite Pride Worldwide posted:

I think unlocking the achievement via SAM doesn't actually give you the corresponding in-game reward, though.
Does alt-f2 not work for it?

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Does alt-f2 not work for it?

That's one useful loving secret :eyepop:

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Kite Pride Worldwide posted:

That's one useful loving secret :eyepop:
Hey, this thread taught it to me, I'm just paying it forward!

(And if you want to pay me back you can tell me why SAM isn't unlocking a thing when I double-click on it or checkbox it. I back out and it doesn't stay saved.)

END CHEMTRAILS NOW
Apr 16, 2005

Pillbug

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Hey, this thread taught it to me, I'm just paying it forward!

(And if you want to pay me back you can tell me why SAM isn't unlocking a thing when I double-click on it or checkbox it. I back out and it doesn't stay saved.)
It's been a while since I used it, but there's an icon you have to click to send the changes to steam. I think looks like a radio tower, IIRC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

END CHEMTRAILS NOW posted:

It's been a while since I used it, but there's an icon you have to click to send the changes to steam. I think looks like a radio tower, IIRC.
oh my god it is a radio tower labeled "Store"

...what the gently caress, that dude's a goon, maybe he reads this, how could you possibly think that was good design for the literal only button anyone ever wants to be labelled "STORE"?

ALSO THANK YOU :shobon: