Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~
Your lovely shrine maiden fox wife, Tamamo no Mae, is here to help!

I am somehow both shocked and unsurprised that Zelenin went Angel Mode. I suppose after the birth of Jimenaboo, it was to be expected the other Alignment person would hybridize themselves, but still kinda weird for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
It's actually kind of funny that it was the law hero who accepted the fusion just for the sake of power whilst it was the chaos hero who only made the choice in a desperate bid to protect an ally.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
zel's outfit is terrible, and the brainwashing scene is good, in that it makes me never wanna go law

Gwen
Aug 17, 2011

It really does feel like Strange Journey had one scenario writer for the first half and then they butted heads with the standard SMT alignment system until either they gave up or a completely different writer stepped in to spot-weld SJ to the series formula.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Tallgeese posted:

I'm not seeing where the hypocrisy or deception is.

I could understand if Zelenin expressed objection to the MK Gun, but I don't recall such. The closest thing was her saying that it indicated that there was a lack of trust between human beings.

Also, the game mechanics and interface treat Humans identically to demons as well. They even have correct alignments, like if I recall properly Jack's Squad is all Dark-Neutral. So I'm not sure you want to use that sort of meta-reasoning. In addition, non-angel demon races also make the differentiation.

This. SJ was my irst ever SMT game adn I noticed a lot of irrational jump-the-gun hateboners for Law. Mastema is pretty much the most helpful person you meet all game and is nothing but courteous and civil to you. I also greatly preferred Zelenin because Jimenez irritated the hell out of me. She went to Mastema to find power but only so she can help avoid pointless bloodshed. Humans are kind of weak and lovely, if that wasn't obvious.

Also the Law Theme is amazing. I could listen to it all day. It's cool how it actaully is incorporated into the story now as well.

e: I too went Law because it was the only thing that made sense to me given everything that happens in the game.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Feb 20, 2017

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
I did go Law once, because the trappings around it like this scene really hit a unique and powerful horror for me. Loosely-sketched as this game is, I do think the game delivered for me in that regard.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Hunt11 posted:

It's actually kind of funny that it was the law hero who accepted the fusion just for the sake of power whilst it was the chaos hero who only made the choice in a desperate bid to protect an ally.

It would, be, except...

quote:

But there's no doubt that [Jimenez] made his decision to become more powerful.

They made the decision for the exact same reasons, under different circumstances.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
He just wants to save his bro. :(

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
Zelenin's new outfit is loving horrible

SweaterGear
Jan 4, 2010

There's a Monopenguin! :swoon:

BFC posted:

It really does feel like Strange Journey had one scenario writer for the first half and then they butted heads with the standard SMT alignment system until either they gave up or a completely different writer stepped in to spot-weld SJ to the series formula.

Every time I read an SMT LP, I'm always struck by the fact that all of the alignments seem horrible. Law and Chaos always come across as terrible ideas and Nocturne's Reasons had the same problem. On one hand, they are ideas represented by very inhuman creatures so it makes sense that they are extreme ideologies that are hard to relate to. On the other hand, the writers had to have realized that players won't see large chunks of their game if the players have to pal around with unlikable jerks.

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

Uh oh. Do I use Ariadne thread or Goho-M?

The stories are always set up to have neutral as the "true" ending, with the other endings as just ways to get more demons and learn a bit more about the story. Because of this, the law and chaos endings are the least developed, and the characters for each suffer from the endings not being developed enough.

Alternately, the law and chaos characters are supposed to be so unlikable that you want to go down the neutral path, so you have to pay :20bux: to get official guide to figure out how to get the neutral ending (I'm looking at you, SMTIV).

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

SMTII is the closest to presenting Chaos as a decent option (gently caress YVWH - demons just want a right to exist), Law always have issues with not coming off as horrible brainwashing fascistland (except to people like Tallgeese) - I do feel like most of these games do try to push you hard towards rejecting both extremes.

And there is a hypocrisy between deciding it's okay to completely subvert someone's mind or it's horrible solely base on their source - what's the difference between a machine your higher ups secretly smuggle in, or magic by a group who decide they know what's better for you - neither one asked you if it's okay to alter your thought patterns.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

SweaterGear posted:

Every time I read an SMT LP, I'm always struck by the fact that all of the alignments seem horrible. Law and Chaos always come across as terrible ideas and Nocturne's Reasons had the same problem. On one hand, they are ideas represented by very inhuman creatures so it makes sense that they are extreme ideologies that are hard to relate to. On the other hand, the writers had to have realized that players won't see large chunks of their game if the players have to pal around with unlikable jerks.

What's funny to me is that I went from hating Chaos in SJ to loving it in Nocturne. In Nocturne, the de facto Chaos route is the best one because it's the only one with likable characters or any real motivation behind it. I did like Yuko, your teacher, but she's not in the game enough and choosing her side also means rejecting the Reasons.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
Part of the problem with Zelenin is that no player is going to sympathize with her about hating demons. Demons do lots of bad stuff in the story, sure, so you can see where she's coming from. They kill people, torture people, et cetera. But to a player playing a Shin Megami Tensei game, demons are part of the attraction. They're a collection of cool designs and old friends. They're Jack Frost's "Hee-ho!"

So when Zelenin shows up in Bootes talking about how horrible demons are, the player isn't going to connect with her on an emotional level; they like demons, or they wouldn't be playing the game.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Robindaybird posted:

And there is a hypocrisy between deciding it's okay to completely subvert someone's mind or it's horrible solely base on their source - what's the difference between a machine your higher ups secretly smuggle in, or magic by a group who decide they know what's better for you - neither one asked you if it's okay to alter your thought patterns.

Again, what you're describing did not happen. All Zelenin said on the subject was that it indicates the low level of trust that the higher-ups had for their fellow human beings. The implication is that humans should be able to trust other humans.

That kind of statement no longer applies when the source is no longer human. Come now.

That, by the way, is the entire point of the Jack's Squad interlude: the fact you can't trust humans not to turn on each other. Notice how very few characters cared very much about the demon experimentation.

Tallgeese fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Feb 20, 2017

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

The thing too is that this isn't just a story issue, it's also a gameplay issue going back to SMT 1, in that you have to reject the polar alignments to see all the content in the game. It took until Nocturne to get multiple options that would give you the content (though in Nocturne it was mostly just selecting boss fights), at least until Maniax added the true demon ending.

So really if you want to get players to pick a route other than neutral, you need to give equivalent gameplay. Strange Journey actually did a decent job of this, I think, other than a hitch with one path, but 4 walked it back quite a bit, instead taking it as assumed players would go neutral primarily and running hard with that.

PlasticAutomaton
Nov 12, 2016

Artoria Pendonut

Devil Survivor 1 is probably the best for the Law/Chaos/Neutral split in that they're all reasonable choices with advisors who aren't batshit crazy or out to destroy/enslave the world.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

PlasticAutomaton posted:

Devil Survivor 1 is probably the best for the Law/Chaos/Neutral split in that they're all reasonable choices with advisors who aren't batshit crazy or out to destroy/enslave the world.

Pretty much, the only unreasonable choice is the "Screw this I'm out" route, but it's still very understandable why those characters would pick that. Too bad the sequel despite generally having a better cast made the equivalent Chaos Route spearheaded by a Randian hypocritical sack of poo poo.

Robindaybird fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Feb 21, 2017

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014

NikkolasKing posted:

What's funny to me is that I went from hating Chaos in SJ to loving it in Nocturne. In Nocturne, the de facto Chaos route is the best one because it's the only one with likable characters or any real motivation behind it. I did like Yuko, your teacher, but she's not in the game enough and choosing her side also means rejecting the Reasons.

I still think Nocturne's True Demon ending is one of the most clever traps in the entire series, and that the game as a whole is a magnificent condemnation of chaos in the same line as II was a condemnation of law. Your friends are normal people who are driven to insane extremes in a chaotic world to make the world make sense and to make it stop hurting them, as human beings they are the one thing that can actually change the world instead of having an endless war between demons who can't actually accomplish anything but still prey upon humans. And Lucifer seemingly gives you a break, suddenly giving you the power to overcome this, but as a result you can't choose how to remake the world, just act as a lieutenant to make another person's ideal world happen. And then when all your idiot friends scare you off with their terrible, poorly thought out and desperate ideas, suddenly here's Lucifer, the guy with all the answers, the guy willing to tell you everything if you just go a little bit deeper, become just a little more in love with the slaughter.

Throughout the entire game you're special because you have the body of a demon, but the heart of a human. It is a constant theme of the series that humans can change and grow and evolve but demons are stuck the way they are, it even goes so far as to make humans level up several times faster than demons. So you have all the advantages, you can beat up the best of them AND you can remake the world, you have absolute freedom on paper, the best example of chaos! But the world is broken, and while you have the tools to change it you only have choices, not freedom. After all, the only ending in this game about chaos with the title of Freedom Ending is when you go back to the world of humans as a human: the game ends because you can do whatever you want.

But what does Lucifer do? The demon who robbed you of your ability to truly change the world to your liking but still gave you a choice? Always gave you a choice, but made sure that his was always the best one, even making sure that Yuko and Aradia come across as weak and foolish?

He gives you the heart of a demon. An unchanging, unevolvable demon. It's classic Mephistopheles, the promise of great power for the complete corruption of your soul (which, to be frank, worth it. Have you ever tried to fight Noah without Pierce? gently caress that noise). You have no willpower, no other route but to follow Lucifer because a demon's way is set in stone. But it was of your own free will that you followed a mythological figure known to be charismatic and to corrupt by seeming perfectly reasonable, he always gave you the choice.

Because he is that beautifully oxymoronic title, the Lord of Chaos. He's learned how to best manipulate that system of a world of chaos, and what world is more chaotic than's Nocturne's destroyed wasteland of barely coherent ideals, loosely held together gangs and mass slaughter. All it took was to give a human power at the expense of their soul, given to him of their own free will.

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change
Eyup. Law is a bunch of dicks, brainwashes people and doesn't give a gently caress. AND PEOPLE WONDER WHY PEOPLE SIDE WITH DEMONS OR REMAIN NEUTRAL! I'll take strife and possible gory death over losing my brain to some rear end in a top hat who would toss me aside the second I'm no longer useful. Granted, this is SJ, so this is just a look at Lawful and Chaotic stupid in their natural habitats.

Kemix fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Feb 21, 2017

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

PlasticAutomaton posted:

Yeah I mean both of them are pretty good about it gameplay wise too in that while you largely get different content, you're not getting more as a consequence of picking a route.

I mean except pre-overclocked Yuzu, but that right there is itself a great show of how giving less content ensures fewer people will favour the option.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

neongrey posted:

Yeah I mean both of them are pretty good about it gameplay wise too in that while you largely get different content, you're not getting more as a consequence of picking a route.

I mean except pre-overclocked Yuzu, but that right there is itself a great show of how giving less content ensures fewer people will favour the option.

and even then, Yuzu isn't a complete idiot for picking the route, she's acting very much like a normal person finally fed up with this poo poo.

eternaldough
Jan 16, 2017

Robindaybird posted:

Pretty much, the only unreasonable choice is the "Screw this I'm out" route, but it's still very understandable why those characters would pick that. Too bad the sequel despite generally having a better cast made the equivalent Chaos Route spearheaded by a Randian hypocritical sack of poo poo.

Wait, who are you talking about? I thought it was the 'Law' equivalent who mostly everyone seemed to hate for being kind of terrible and hypocritical.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

PlasticAutomaton posted:

I mean. I'd argue the "aren't batshit crazy". Naoya exists. But at the same time he's at least reasonable when you're not actively opposing him, I vaguely remember him actually being helpful in Atsuro's path.

Regarding Zelenin, the Law faction here didn't really strike me as too tonedeaf or hypocritical at this point (past the "don't use demons, use the functionally identical angels who are random battles just like demons"; at least humans don't get in random fights in exploration with you, to counter that meta-argument of everything being a statblock) but god drat is her new outfit loving hideous. Also the idea of widespread brainwashing as an alternative to extreme violence is not particularly "better", just horrifying in a different way.

EDIT:

freshlybaked posted:

Wait, who are you talking about? I thought it was the 'Law' equivalent who mostly everyone seemed to hate for being kind of terrible and hypocritical.

:ssh: any ending that goes along with polaris is technically law, DeSu2 is more like the Reasons than a standard SMT three-prong system.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

freshlybaked posted:

Devil Survivor 2 is a bit weird in that out of its 5 endings, 2 are Neutral (True/Bad), 2 are Law (Yamato/Ronaldo) and 1 is Chaos. And Hibiki himself is the route leader of the Chaos path and it is awesome.

e;

Since it's been brought up already, Nocturne is even weirder though because it has like 7 endings; 1 Law (Shijima), 1 Chaos (Yosuga) and the rest are all Neutral. Remember, alignment is not a flat binary; it's based on context. And within the context of the Vortex World, the True Demon Ending is very much a Neutral path.

Lotus Aura fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Feb 21, 2017

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

freshlybaked posted:

Yea, they're both bad - Yamato just really rubs me the wrong way.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Robindaybird posted:

Yea, they're both bad - Yamato just really rubs me the wrong way.

That's because Yamato is a rich boy libertarian who talks about how great adversity is whilst he himself has never wanted for anything.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Hunt11 posted:

That's because Yamato is a rich boy libertarian who talks about how great adversity is whilst he himself has never wanted for anything.

Exactly - he's in his position and as educated as he is because he's from a very rich and very well-connected family and is completely oblivious that he didn't pull himself up.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Hunt11 posted:

The closest there can be to a saving grace there is that at least he's aware of how full of poo poo he is and at one point admits that he'd prefer a world where he got dunked on by someone better instead of coasting by on privilege. Except then if you actually proceed to dunk on him he turns into this psychotic jealous yandere.

Yamato is the worst part of Devil Survivor 2, and that's a game that introduced both Keita Wakui and also Hinako's utter lack of clothing.

kvx687
Dec 29, 2009

Soiled Meat
That's not totally fair. His goal was pretty stupid but he was raised in an utterly controlling family with no chance to ever make a decision for himself and the expectation that he would sacrifice everything for a society he was never allowed to interact with, he's not like Ronaldo who was just actively rejecting reality and would have taken everyone down with him if he won.

Gwen
Aug 17, 2011

Just because Yamato's motivations sort of make sense doesn't mean he can't still be pretty bad. You might as well hang that over every alignment character in SMT history.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Dragonatrix posted:

Since it's been brought up already, Nocturne is even weirder though because it has like 7 endings; 1 Law (Shijima), 1 Chaos (Yosuga) and the rest are all Neutral. Remember, alignment is not a flat binary; it's based on context. And within the context of the Vortex World, the True Demon Ending is very much a Neutral path.

The Vortex World has no concept of Law/Chaos/Neutral period, just Light/Dark. By that logic it's pointless to talk about alignment if that's all we're considering.

Within the context of SMT1 and 2...All Reason endings are Law. We know this because Kagutsuchi is A-OK with all of them.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Yeah, I actively resist the notion that any of the Reasons in Nocturne are associated with any of the alignments as SMT does them. The game has alignments in its demons and the way they're distributed across factions doesn't map to any other pattern in the series. It's trying to do something different in this regard and I don't see a huge reason to try and squeeze it into the boxes. Ditto with the DeSu games, though you can make a slightly better case for aligning them there.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

neongrey posted:

Yeah, I actively resist the notion that any of the Reasons in Nocturne are associated with any of the alignments as SMT does them. The game has alignments in its demons and the way they're distributed across factions doesn't map to any other pattern in the series. It's trying to do something different in this regard and I don't see a huge reason to try and squeeze it into the boxes. Ditto with the DeSu games, though you can make a slightly better case for aligning them there.

Well, the first game did have a much more clear cut "this person wants to murder god, this person wants to bring enlightenment through religion, this option is letting humanity just exist, please" alignment setup; DeSu2 is absolutely Reasons 2.0, though.

eternaldough
Jan 16, 2017

I'm also under the opinion that the first DeSu had the best (as in you might go with them) alignment heroes as far as the conventional law and chaos. Mind you, I don't really remember too much about Naoya since he's not in a lot of the game past his own route and the law one. (Did he even show up if you go with Haru and Gin?)

Desu 2 a little less so. I admittedly give a lot of slack to Yamato than he probably deserves, but he only really goes nuts when you go on the path that wants to make the world completely opposite from his own goals. (I recall him being less of a loon if you side with th Anguished One). As opposed to Ronaldo who always violently declares you his enemy on any route that isn't his and is a terribly sore loser. I mean, I've no doubt Yamato could be just as cold, but actually witnessing Ronaldo trying repeatedly to murder the other party members for disagreeing with him kind of leaves an impression.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Ronaldo is good. It makes sense if you realize that he was living in the streets with all the normies instead of being the cozy headquarters like everyone else.

Sure, he gets blood thirsty but I get it.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

KataraniSword posted:

Well, the first game did have a much more clear cut "this person wants to murder god, this person wants to bring enlightenment through religion, this option is letting humanity just exist, please" alignment setup; DeSu2 is absolutely Reasons 2.0, though.

Yeah, 's why I say a case exists, but outside of Naoya and Amane you're fairly well in a place where alignment as used in the series is pretty meaningless.

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change

freshlybaked posted:

I'm also under the opinion that the first DeSu had the best (as in you might go with them) alignment heroes as far as the conventional law and chaos. Mind you, I don't really remember too much about Naoya since he's not in a lot of the game past his own route and the law one. (Did he even show up if you go with Haru and Gin?)

I believe you DO have to fight him in DeSu1 if you go Gin/Atsuro and he gets absolutely -pissed- if you go Law for plot related reasons.

PlasticAutomaton
Nov 12, 2016

Artoria Pendonut

Yeah, you have to fight him in the neutral routes, but once you beat him, he makes his peace with your choice, and cooperates completely. (Even if he's still a bit disappointed in Gin's route)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

There's no updated crew dialogue right now, oddly. You'd think they'd have something to say with the Super MKUltra effect of Zelenin, but nope.

As you'd expect from the scene before, the Giant's Fang lets us get Phase Shifter B (this is the second and last of its ilk, yeah). Now, what to do next..

Ah, of course. We'll go back to Carina and map out as much of it as we can. Should be all of it at this point.

A Squandered Nation

Gonna use the easier to access point on the 2nd floor.

There's not much of a difference visually, but that should be expected. It's just a nice shade of yellow, which I am okay with.

There isn't anything new in the B Sanctum; there either the usual Carina stuff, some things from Eridanus or some things from Fornax and that's it. How disappointing.

That section is a tiny hallway though, so we gotta take the normal stairs to get to this Bead Chain and the rest of the area kinda. If we used the secondary shifter this step could've been avoided but eh.

Aside from the Bead Chain, there isn't much here though. Fixed AT III is kind of a weird decision.

Plus side is that we can get an easy Great Chakra from right next to the alternative Phase Shifter point.

Only other thing here is... a locked door we can't open. Weird. Guess we'll be back to finish this floor off later. Probably like a Bead of Life or something, to justify this.

So, the third floor then. This one is a bit... different? Kind of?

It's a bunch of 3x3 square rooms and almost all the doors are Gate Search C doors. That's a thing, I suppose.

A nice thing about this little diversion is that we're going to end up getting a relatively decent amount of Beads of Life from this. I'm gonna hold onto all of 'em for now; they will prove important.

The only other thing we get from this area is a set of 2 Amrita Showers. That's it; we're done here now. There IS another room but it's empty.

Plus side is that gives us this floor done. We just need 2F and that one room on 4F and we're hopefully done with all of Carina!

A Land Controlling Roads

Since we're heading back to Eridanus for a moment anyway, let's see what we get from Odin for having a Sleipnir.

As promised, I present to you this.

You have been most helpful.
Still, Sleipnir can be quite a handful at times.

I must thank you again.
A warrior of your caliber is welcome in Valhalla anytime.
When you breathe your last, keep me in mind. Hohoho...!

> Odin left...

The Odin Ring is pretty good. It gives Hitonari Chakra Walk which has its uses, especially since the MP Recover/Regen SubApps take up so much space. Because of how expensive Hitonari's skills are, I'm basically just gonna be gluing this on for the forseeable future.

Anyway, the Phase Shifter is on the 2nd floor so, let's see what this spot is about.

It's... mostly a big, empty area but it has a free Sacrifice that we can get pretty easily.

And also a Bead of Life! These are going to be very useful, for sure.

That's it for Eridanus. Just gotta open those doors on 3F in the Deva/Herald sidequest paths and then we're done with Eridanus entirely.

Et finalment...

The Land Where The Seed's Memories Lie Buried

Fornax, being Fornax, does not do much with its B Sanctum. At least it's kind enough to give us a Sacrifice.

A Summon Stone is nice, and will serve a purpose eventually I'm sure. I think I'd rather just have another Bead of Life though.

On the plus side, with that we have 100%'d all of Fornax. Barring unlikely future sidequest reasons, we will never need to come here (onscreen) again. Hurray!

...So, uh, Grus. Phase Shifter is right by the entrance, so let's see what its B Sanctum is like.

You are not planning to experiment on us again, are you...?

Poor Take-Minakata. First he lost his arms, then he lost his pride.

So, anyway, there's this thing at the end of a big ol' corridor. It looks like one of them illusory walls from the Original Space, but its super conspicuous...

So of course we can't do anything with it right now. Guess we gotta find a way to remove that purple from the door.

Those angels are holed up nearby.
Humans, angels... Both of 'em come crashin' our joint like they own the place...
Oh, well. Anyone's free to come.
Just like I'm free to stomp anyone I don't like, y'know?

My buddies took a real nasty beating from 'em...
Those humans're on my list, man!

SO ME WANT POWER. TO GET FREEDOM.
SO ME SUFFER THIS SHAME NO MORE...

...Okay, so as you probably expected, this is a bit of a teleport-y areas as well. It's fairly linear and simple though.

If you're expecting this to kind of be a mirror of the previous Sanctum, you'd go in a straight line here. That is a sensible presumption, all things considered.

It does lead you somewhere, and let you open this hidden door.

As with the Mahama Stones before, this is a very useful thing to have. Would be doubly so if I remembered to use them, honestly.

That's all on me, though.

That's as far as this path goes though. Next teleporter sends up back to the big corridor so we gotta go around in the previous area!

The Fear of God

So while en-route back there, let's fight some demons.

Succubus is a fun one. She resists Fire and Ice, is immune to Curse but weak to Elec and Expel. Her basic attack has a 10% chance to inflict Sleep and her skills are Dormina, Marin Karin and Energy Drain. Energy Drain is on Alice's source before now but that's all; it's HP and MP draining rolled into one and also not poo poo. How nice!

Wild Hunt is much more boring, sadly. He's yet another demon that decides that "Agility is my main stat" is a good idea. I don't know why. He's immune to Curse and weak to Expel and that's it.

Kudlak is a mix of the two above; his highest default Stat is Agility but its tied wit his... Vitality for highest growth. Augh why. He's immune to Curse (of course) and weak to... Fire. Huh. His source gives Energy Drain even though he only has Mana Drain. Good job there I guess, Kudlak.

Kingu is almost exactly how he looks, but he's also 300% weak to Mute. His source gives Diarama (whyyyyy), Rakukaja (meh at this point) and War Cry (...well thats acceptable-ish).

Loki is kind of different, and not wholly terrible but not great either. He has no weaknesses, resists Ice, Wind and Curse and nullifies Gun and Mute. His skills are Mabufudyne, Taunt and Tricky Dance (MT 70% Mute skill! Took long enough) and his source gives Void Ice.

The Land Where The Seed's Memories Lie Buried

So, let's keep on keepin' on and get further through the actual Sanctum now, shall we?

Aside from that one branch below, there's basically no sidepath teleports or anything so it's not like this is a difficult section.

And, of course, there ARE alignment lock doors here as well. Can only open them if we're Chaos aligned, which we're not right now so maybe we'll be back for these later.

Chaos Theme

> You explained the situation...

You want to meet Maya? You want to know where she is?
What are you going to do when you meet her...?

But I pity you... Maya could never be defeated by the likes of humans.
If you somehow manage to overthrow her, I'd be perfectly willing to deal with you humans.

Even if it's the king of a ruined nation.

> The demon is thinking.

Hmm. Why don't we make a deal?
I'm thinking of that squad that captured us...

Plenty of demons still carry a grudge, and their anger is reaching its peak.
Yes... kill the humans known as Jack's squad. Those are the conditions.
Only then will I open the seal to Maya.
Sound good?
Let me think.
I understand if you're reluctant to murder a fellow human.
But listen to me first, and make your decision afterward.

Or didn't you realize it?
Those humans who have been reduced to submissive puppets...

Someday, we'll go to war with those angels for control over the Earth. It has to happen.

Do you understand, human?
Whether I think you're worth trusting or not depends on this.

Don't disappoint me.

Alright, so the onyl way out at this point is a singular teleport back to the corridor...

Silence

How'd it go? You get good info?

> You explained the events so far.

Chaos Theme

I say take the deal.

And I got my doubts about those angels, too.
...Listen, Tadano.
I'm sure you know, being on the strike team and using demons all the time...

Look at me, who has the power of demons now. Hell, look at you and all those demons you lead.
I see all the potential power us humans have, and I think to myself...

Then us and the demons would be like peas in a pod, right?
...That's all I wanted to say.

I'll be around...
See you later, Tadano.

> Jimenez left.

Well, that was weird. Now all we need to do is use the terminal to warp out and we can see what Arthur has to say.

Silence

Stop it!

> You turned to see where the voice was coming from.

Malevolence and Benevolence

No... I believed in you! Stop it!

> Zelenin is acting strange...

Zelenin!

Hitonari...?
Then... this must be an illusion!
Curse you, wicked phantasm! Begone!

> Zelenin yelled out in a clear voice...!

Silence

> Zelenin seems to have regained her composure.

Law Theme

My family and friends... They become demons and attacked me.
They were rebuking and persecuting the old me...
The illusion made me lose my composure. It could have been dangerous.
You should be careful, Hitonari.
By the way, how is the mission? Are you making progress?

> You explained the events so far.

Do not let them fool you, Hitonari, with their tempting promises of coexistence.
Once they escape the Schwarzwelt, millions of humans will be their prey.
It will be a world where the weak are purged entirely...
That is what demons have in mind when they talk of "coexistence."

But there is no need to worry.
My hymn affects demons as well; Mastema has told me so.
I need only raise the output of my song and the demons shall become harmless.

What do you think of this idea?
Let me think.
I am all too glad to be of service...

If you need my voice, I would be happy to sing for you.
I will wait here. Come talk to me should you ever need my help.

...I'm beginning to see where this is going, and I thought this was part of the event we did before. Even my memory of Grus isn't perfect it seems!

Malevolence and Benevolence

It seems we must make a decision in order to obtain the Exotic Matter of sector Grus.

A crew meeting to discuss the matter is in order.
Crewman Hitonari.

They seem willing to cooperate with you. However...
All signs point to a high likelihood that they will both abandon their duties.
Keep that possibility in mind when approaching them.
Now, let us gather the crew and decide our course of action.

One quick fade to black later...

And here I thought I was getting used to demons... This is a real wake-up call.
This is the kind of demonic temptation you expect, y'know?

It's like they're lulling us until we're manipulated into doing what they want.
Free lunches tend to have a steep price, you know.

There's no telling when the effect of the brainwashing will wear off.
Besides, we're not even monitoring the right now. We're just letting the angels' control do the work.
That's a volatile situation if I ever heard of one.
Jack's men betrayed us twice, and we don't have any room for error now.

That's why I think we should defeat those demons, whether it's with our bare hands or the angels' song.
Don't get fooled by the demons' promises, however tempting they might be.

However, we do not need one.
Crewman Hitonari.

We have the option to cooperate with the demons.
However, our cooperation requires that we sacrifice Jack's squad.
Should we accept the demons' terms?
We shouldn't.
Then we shall move on to the next available plan.

We have the option to request that First Lieutenant Zelenin subdue the demons with her voice.
Should we request her assistance?
We shouldn't.

Well, we could try negotiating with the demons again, but...
Knowing them, they might just lose their patience and attack.

The situation is changing rapidly.

Should the strike team deem it necessary to act counter to the crew's decision, I will allow it.
It is a difficult situation, and I hope that this problem can be resolved swiftly.

I look forward to the successful completion of your mission.

So, in summary our options are:

1. Do a murder on Ryan and the rest of Jack's Squad
2. Make the demons docile like a winter catfish

The question is pretty simple:

Which one do we do?

• Locked thread