Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO posted:

I really disagree, again, that a hive mind should play out any differently than a democracy. A hive mind is just a democracy where they communicate through some other way than talking and writing.

hive minds aren't real, dude

(and the fictional concept has multiple different interpretations)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

The next movie better not make me shave anything :(

The hive mind is an individual that gets seduced by your spark of genius, maniacal, substance abusive scientist for a planet wide orgy. As seen in the documentary Rick and Morty.

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

GunnerJ posted:

That hive mind symbol (if that's what it is) appears dead center in the ethos wheel, which to me implies that it is truly beyond any ethos at all. Which, since it is literally a single collective sapient entity spanning millions or billions of brains, makes sense. There's only one "person's" opinion.

I think they put it in the middle because they didn't want to have a 1 or 2 point version of it, like the other ethics.

To me that implies Hive Mind will either be a 2 or 3 point pickup, but that's my own guess. It just depends on whether they want you to be able to splash an ethic (hive mind + something) or whether Hive Mind is supposed to be it's own playthrough.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO posted:

I really disagree, again, that a hive mind should play out any differently than a democracy. A hive mind is just a democracy where they communicate through some other way than talking and writing.

To explain why you are wrong, imagine your guts voting that they should take over your body and your brain should be executed for treason. Instantly, you die. A hivemind works more like a living body and by definition can't work like democracy.

Blorange
Jan 31, 2007

A wizard did it

Rakthar posted:

I have a suspicion that Hive Mind might be a 2 or even 3 point pick, and that it would offer some materially different playstyle. Like, no ethics and no ethics divergence on those pops.

It's the same color as the other 1 point picks, so I imagine it only costs 1, and probably excludes taking egalitarian or authoritarian. The other ethos could still apply, a spiritualist hive mind is seeking enlightenment while a xenophobe desires to purge the universe.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

GunnerJ posted:

That hive mind symbol (if that's what it is) appears dead center in the ethos wheel, which to me implies that it is truly beyond any ethos at all. Which, since it is literally a single collective sapient entity spanning millions or billions of brains, makes sense. There's only one "person's" opinion.

Yeah, but that one person/mind still has some sort of opinion on things. If I encountered a hive it would be cool to know if they want to eat me, assimilate me, be left alone, or be friends. Hive + a varieties of civics could equal some sort of "hive personality" or a hive descriptor of some sort. But we really don't know enough about what we're assuming an icon to be to be speculating this much :)

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

Baronjutter posted:

Yeah, but that one person/mind still has some sort of opinion on things. If I encountered a hive it would be cool to know if they want to eat me, assimilate me, be left alone, or be friends. Hive + a varieties of civics could equal some sort of "hive personality" or a hive descriptor of some sort. But we really don't know enough about what we're assuming an icon to be to be speculating this much :)

That's true. And as the post above yours notes, it's the same color as a 1-point pick, so you could have 2 points of other ethos picks.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

Instead of all this speculation, you could wait for Friday's dev diary on the topic.

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

Blorange posted:

It's the same color as the other 1 point picks, so I imagine it only costs 1, and probably excludes taking egalitarian or authoritarian. The other ethos could still apply, a spiritualist hive mind is seeking enlightenment while a xenophobe desires to purge the universe.

That scenario is also possible. I personally am guessing the other way since in that scenario, hive mind is by definition a 'minor' trait only, as in equivalent to other 1 point pickups. I think it would be neat if going hive mind (like the Hivers) had a large impact on your playthrough, so maybe it's represented as an all or nothing choice.

The way I interpreted the icon scheme is that green = core belief, orange = fanatical version of that belief, and that there isn't a 'more fanatical' version of a hive mind, just a hive mind.

You're right that if you look at it as green = 1 point pickup then it's likely to be 1 point ;)

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Anticheese posted:

Instead of all this speculation, you could wait for Friday's dev diary on the topic.

Nah.

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

Anticheese posted:

Instead of complaining about people speculating in a thread after a teaser just got posted, you could return on Friday when the dev diary has been posted and perhaps you'll find the discussion more to your liking?

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Anticheese posted:

I'd rather wait for Thursday's.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

Sorry. Time zone shenanigans. I didn't mean to dismiss the discussion entirely, just that we'll know more about the nature of hive minds in Stellaris later this week. :)

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"
i wonder if it will be like the networked mod where you pick what type of hive mind (e.g. psychic, bugs, ai w/e)

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
If they are in, hive minds are going to be factions rather than empire level stuff. Calling it now.

You finally get everyone on the same page as part of your empire wide hive mind faction and then there's a schism and you have two competing factional hive minds, and then a dozen. Darn it all to heck!

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

GlyphGryph posted:

If they are in, hive minds are going to be factions rather than empire level stuff. Calling it now.

You finally get everyone on the same page as part of your empire wide hive mind faction and then there's a schism and you have two competing factional hive minds, and then a dozen. Darn it all to heck!

Why do you keep saying "if"? We already know Hive Minds are in. This week's dev diary is on Hive Minds (as we've known since last week's Dev Diary). They don't write Dev Diaries about features that aren't actually features.

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.

GlyphGryph posted:

WE ARE THE BORG. ALL OTHER ENTITIES CLAIMING TO BE THE BORG ARE IMPOSTERS. THE ONLY RELIABLE SOURCE FOR BORG UPDATES IS OUR TWITTER ACCOUNT, @REALTHEBORG

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Founding the Alt-Borg, brb.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

YOU WILL BE ASSIMILATED

God I'm only being ironic put the phasers away get a sense of humour :sad:

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
I hope that there's a different hive mind 'type' for each authority setting. Like, a democratic hive mind would be some kind of 'subconscious consensus' thing going on, monarchy would be your classic 'queen alien with mindless drones' situation, etc.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

RabidWeasel posted:

I hope that there's a different hive mind 'type' for each authority setting. Like, a democratic hive mind would be some kind of 'subconscious consensus' thing going on, monarchy would be your classic 'queen alien with mindless drones' situation, etc.

Well, since there's a very hive mind looking icon on the authority selection section, that seems unlikely.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Hive mind materialists, let me upload my collective consciousness to the cloud and become the Geth. :yayclod:

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Then some fallen empire comes along and dicks with your code and suddenly you're all spiritualist fanatical purifiers

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem

Jeb Bush 2012 posted:

WE ARE THE BORG. ALL OTHER ENTITIES CLAIMING TO BE THE BORG ARE IMPOSTERS. THE ONLY RELIABLE SOURCE FOR BORG UPDATES IS OUR TWITTER ACCOUNT, @REALTHEBORG

I laughed. :golfclap:

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

GotLag posted:

Then some fallen empire comes along and dicks with your code and suddenly you're all spiritualist fanatical purifiers

Please don't remind me of Mass Effect 3 :smith:

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

GotLag posted:

No, then your race goes down to some galactic catastrophe, a newly FLT capable race finds your world and takes your neural scans. Then the xenophile FE demands those scans to clone bodies for you and download your consciousness in them. And they probably make you snails when you were moths before just to gently caress with you,.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Zurai posted:

Well, since there's a very hive mind looking icon on the authority selection section, that seems unlikely.

How the gently caress did I miss that :psyduck:

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

GunnerJ posted:

Yeah, I was pretty sure those percentages reflect the number of pops subscribing to an ethos. Removing a pop subscribing to an ethos would make its share go down in that case, it's not like the percentage is causing pops to turn to an ethos due to some external force. You have to support a faction aligned with that ethos to make that happen. At least, as I understand the system.

It can't be as simple as that, though. If it was you could just resettle all your pops of a different ethos to planets on the edge of your borders, trade them off to your neighbours, and end up with a state that has no ethical problems ever again. There has to be a natural pull to other ethoses that will over time cause pops to drift away from your preferred ethos. And if there's a natural pull, there's also going to be some sort of equilibrium where the pulls of all the ethoses (including any techs, buildings, faction support etc.) balances out. So if you have a materialist empire where 10% of the population are pesky spiritualists, removing all the spiritualists might get rid of them temporarily, but over time the factors which were causing 10% of your population to be spiritualists in the first place are just going to drag 10% of your remaining population towards spiritualism. You'll need to deal with the factors causing spiritualism influence pull, rather than just removing pops.

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

Reveilled posted:

It can't be as simple as that, though. If it was you could just resettle all your pops of a different ethos to planets on the edge of your borders, trade them off to your neighbours, and end up with a state that has no ethical problems ever again. There has to be a natural pull to other ethoses that will over time cause pops to drift away from your preferred ethos. And if there's a natural pull, there's also going to be some sort of equilibrium where the pulls of all the ethoses (including any techs, buildings, faction support etc.) balances out. So if you have a materialist empire where 10% of the population are pesky spiritualists, removing all the spiritualists might get rid of them temporarily, but over time the factors which were causing 10% of your population to be spiritualists in the first place are just going to drag 10% of your remaining population towards spiritualism. You'll need to deal with the factors causing spiritualism influence pull, rather than just removing pops.

The mechanism is Ethics Divergence (if you mouse over a pop, you'll see the ethics divergence %, positive if they have a chance to shift away from your ethics, negative if they have a chance of shifting towards it).

There a) isn't a single stable equilibrium (because when a negative divergence effect happens, what the pop flips to is affected by what ethics other pops have) and b) even if there is, it can take a long time to converge to it, so purging individual pops could make a big difference for a long time.

Cling-Wrap Condom
Jul 23, 2015

I'm tryna get my peen touched, pants.
Wiz, i look forward to sharing photos of my upcoming civil union to the videogame Stellaris, which you have almost singlehandedly saved from mediocrity.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Jeb Bush 2012 posted:

The mechanism is Ethics Divergence (if you mouse over a pop, you'll see the ethics divergence %, positive if they have a chance to shift away from your ethics, negative if they have a chance of shifting towards it).

There a) isn't a single stable equilibrium (because when a negative divergence effect happens, what the pop flips to is affected by what ethics other pops have) and b) even if there is, it can take a long time to converge to it, so purging individual pops could make a big difference for a long time.
The ethics divergence mechanic/ pop ethics are being completely redone in Utopia. Now each pop has a single ethic, and the proportion of ethics your pops will drift towards will be based on a variety of factors. For example, being friends with other species will boost xenophile attractiveness.

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

Ein Sexmonster posted:

The ethics divergence mechanic/ pop ethics are being completely redone in Utopia. Now each pop has a single ethic, and the proportion of ethics your pops will drift towards will be based on a variety of factors. For example, being friends with other species will boost xenophile attractiveness.

Ah. Well, depending on how fast the drift is you could still maintain an ethos balance different from your resting one by periodically purging pops with the wrong influence or whatever

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Jeb Bush 2012 posted:

Ah. Well, depending on how fast the drift is you could still maintain an ethos balance different from your resting one by periodically purging pops with the wrong influence or whatever

Purging seems to be done on a species by species level only come Banks.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I'm not sure if you can even do targeted individual purges anymore, it sounds like it's on a species by species level. So you can say to purge all the humans, enslave all the butterbutts, and give the spacebirds space drugs. But you can't say "Hey, single pacifist human pop? Get purged"

What you can do though is find the faction supported by pops you don't like and suppress the gently caress out of it, making it less attractive. That means less pops joining the faction, but I'm not sure if it means less pops converting to the ethos related to it.

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

Rumda posted:

Purging seems to be done on a species by species level only come Banks.

Right, that's what GunnerJ was asking about, whether the new purge mechanics would prevent you murdering dissidents to maintain your ethos balance

Theswarms
Dec 20, 2005
If we are getting a new Ethics and Traits system will this delete my custom empires, convert them to an equivalent in the new system or just disable them and mark them as needing an update?

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Libluini posted:

To explain why you are wrong, imagine your guts voting that they should take over your body and your brain should be executed for treason. Instantly, you die. A hivemind works more like a living body and by definition can't work like democracy.
I believe that's called an autoimmune disorder.

Noir89
Oct 9, 2012

I made a dumdum :(
Holy poo poo this patch. Every single time i think "this is it, this is the patch" you show off some new system wiz. This single patch is quickly rocketing you and your team fo my favorite developers ever. The sheer amount of changed and improved systems that have annoyed me since release is staggering. I am suffering from Paradox Syndrome hard right now, every single time i look at the launcher i just remember the coming patch and i decide to wait.

Is this how Star Citizen fans feels about Croberts? You should wave your hands around more on the streams!

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

It might be fun to stack a ton of +ethics divergence to cause whatever faction is in control to lose members until another faction becomes dominant who will then start losing supporters and so on in endless circles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Swedish Horror
Jan 16, 2013

Noir89 posted:

Is this how Star Citizen fans feels about Croberts? You should wave your hands around more on the streams!

I think they plan on actually releasing Utopia/1.5.

• Locked thread