Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC
Am I correct in thinking that under the current prize money system, whoever ends up in last place in the WCC is guaranteed prize money now that there is one less team?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Turns out Formula E's driverless cars are very ugly and don't work. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-39027477

ukle
Nov 28, 2005

learnincurve posted:

Turns out Formula E's driverless cars are very ugly and don't work. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-39027477

That's not the real thing, it was just a proof of concept test with 2 cars they had rigged up.

Also it proved outstandingly that it does work given that in the race a dog ran on to the track and the car took evasive action by slowing down and turning to avoid it. Cynical side of me says the dog being on the track wasn't accidental as it was a good way of showing that the cars are safe.

ukle fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Feb 20, 2017

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
Hopefully in 10 years we will be talking about how petulant the blue car is for trying to start a rap career during its downtime

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

It's too bad for Lewis that "MC Pee Pants" was already taken.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Tsaedje posted:

It remains to be seen how good the gold looks on track rather than in a studio. That kind of gold paint often just looks beigey-brown.
See the VJM01 for proof.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
I actually started to type a sentence giving that car as the example but decided it was too boring to discuss the livery of the first Force India

I'm Crap
Aug 15, 2001

Payndz posted:

See the VJM01 for proof.

Or that Jordan-Peugeot from the mid-90s.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Theophany posted:

Am I correct in thinking that under the current prize money system, whoever ends up in last place in the WCC is guaranteed prize money now that there is one less team?

You are.

So Sauber have the money they scraped together from Marcus Ericsson's dad, Mercedes, prize money + the fact they're going to be paying a lot less for Ferrari's "One careful owner" engine program to run on.

That'll probably buy survival but there's no way to think that they'll be anything but back of the grid every race.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

That sharkfin is probably going to look worse when it's not against a black background as well.

geonetix
Mar 6, 2011

I still hope to see more sharkfins, I've a weak spot for them. Silly little weird aero devices

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Its crazy to think that like 5-6 years ago Sauber was a legit midfield team and not a burning dumpster pile.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

1500quidporsche posted:

Its crazy to think that like 5-6 years ago Sauber was a legit midfield team and not a burning dumpster pile.

Yeah, it is sad watching them slip down the field to the point where they were battling with Manor.

That livery on the Sauber looks like something from the 80s

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

1500quidporsche posted:

Telmex money, bro.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

wicka posted:

Telmex money, bro.

By that logic Force India should be fighting it out with Red Bull and Mercedes with that kind of miracle money.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
I was about to post "what's with all the gripes about fins about they look fine on LMP cars" but then I clicked the Sauber url again and yeah that's pretty stupid looking

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

1500quidporsche posted:

By that logic Force India should be fighting it out with Red Bull and Mercedes with that kind of miracle money.

It's not a miracle, my dude, it's just a lot of money.

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!

1500quidporsche posted:

They just finished 4th in the constructor championship. Thats pretty drat good.

Speaking of sauber, its hilarious that Nasr loses his seat because he saved their season and crushed manor.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

I was about to post "what's with all the gripes about fins about they look fine on LMP cars" but then I clicked the Sauber url again and yeah that's pretty stupid looking

Are they not allowed to connect to the rear wing because of the F duct banning? I think the issue with it is that it's just hanging out there by itself like a big old dick nose

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

1500quidporsche posted:

Are they not allowed to connect to the rear wing because of the F duct banning? I think the issue with it is that it's just hanging out there by itself like a big old dick nose

It used to connect to where the DRS slot now is. :) No idea if all teams have done it saubers way or if we will see variations.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I have never been able to read a Monisha Kaltenborn quote without hearing it in her voice.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

learnincurve posted:

quote:

"One of the cars was trying to perform a manoeuvre, and it went really full-throttle and took the corner quite sharply and caught the edge of the barrier," Roborace's chief marketing officer Justin Cooke told the BBC.

It sounds to me like they work exactly as well as an F1 driver.

Dubs
Mar 6, 2007

Stroll Own Zone.
Disregard Stroll outside zone.
https://www.instagram.com/p/BQxUSz7gwCF/

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Pirate Radar posted:

It sounds to me like they work exactly as well as an F1 driver.

That particular car had been uploaded with the Maldonado AI.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
In Max's defense just shoving a bell pepper in your mouth is kind of weird

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Renault targeting fifth in the WCC, pretty bold target.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
With BP/Castrol money

These launch events are so desperately dull

Tsaedje fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Feb 21, 2017

scheissmacht
Oct 23, 2000
Not one single interesting thing has been said so far. How do you say "yawn" in French?

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Tsaedje posted:

I have no idea how, but I would like it to be more "French".

Also Alain confirmed as Renault's Niki equivalent.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Are the drivers wearing clown outfits?

scheissmacht
Oct 23, 2000
car matches the presentation beforehand *yawn* That shark fin is weird as gently caress

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
:lol: that is a baaaaaad car

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Tsaedje posted:

With BP/Castrol money

Yep, pretty significant branding across the front of the very, very bad driver suits.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Yeah the shark fan is awkward. I think it's because they've lowered the rear wing that it looks so awful.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Tsaedje posted:

:lol: that is a baaaaaad car

...do the bargeboards really look like what I think they look like?

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
It's not such a munter from the side, because you can't see the Quasimodo front end and clit nose.

https://mobile.twitter.com/RenaultSportF1/status/834056667507675136

Dubs
Mar 6, 2007

Stroll Own Zone.
Disregard Stroll outside zone.
Nick's hair is fuckin on point though.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

You can tell BP is paying them a lot of money because they insisted on the Castrol logo staying green and red and clashing with literally the entire car.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
Reminds me of the 2009 ING Renault in how clumsy it looks (sorry nickthenorse if you still lurk)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Those are the faces of two drivers just really suprised and grateful that they have a race seat of any kind.

• Locked thread