Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Pac-Manioc Root posted:

Specops: The Line already adapted Heart of Darkness p. Good by video game standards.

Far Cry 2 was the best Heart of Darkness adaptation.

Platystemon has a new favorite as of 04:31 on Feb 15, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Tiberius Thyben posted:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/372114443/winds-of-change-2

From the makers of Major/Minor: or lovely persona fanfic by furry weebs, the game.

My favorite thing about Major/Minor is that there are two more or less identical versions of the game on Steam just so they could double dip on the number of custom emoticons and wallpapers to sell to furries.

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

Guy Mann posted:

My favorite thing about Major/Minor is that there are two more or less identical versions of the game on Steam just so they could double dip on the number of custom emoticons and wallpapers to sell give to furries the creator.

The creator is like the textbook definition of a narcissist. Dude has his lovely furry OC as a background on his steam page.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

ishikabibble posted:

The creator is like the textbook definition of a narcissist. Dude has his lovely furry OC as a background on his steam page.

Yes but on the plus size none of the characters seem to be underage love interests so by default he's better than 99% of the people who make visual novels.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

Guy Mann posted:

My favorite thing about Major/Minor is that there are two more or less identical versions of the game on Steam just so they could double dip on the number of custom emoticons and wallpapers to sell to furries.

Is it labelled Major and Minor Edition?

Tiberius Thyben
Feb 7, 2013

Gone Phishing

Fargin Icehole posted:

Is it labelled Major and Minor Edition?

Nope. It's Major/Minor and Major/Minor: Complete Edition. Both are exactly the same, but sold separately. They were also both released during early access, before they were even "finished."

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I can't help but wonder why you guys even know any of this.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

veni veni veni posted:

Likely from reading this thread.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

veni veni veni posted:

Everything I know is from the LP of this trainwreck of a game.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I'm just giving you guys poo poo. The amount of horrible poo poo these forums have exposed me to is ungodly I'm surprised I missed it more than anything.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Wasn't there some other project way back that managed to get kicked off both Kickstarter and Indiegogo for being an obvious scam that went on to create their own "fair and balanced" crowdfunding site?

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Collateral Damage posted:

Wasn't there some other project way back that managed to get kicked off both Kickstarter and Indiegogo for being an obvious scam that went on to create their own "fair and balanced" crowdfunding site?

The ones I'm aware of:

1) The sequel to Eternal Darkness
2) A reboot of the board game HeroQuest without owning the IP rights to HeroQuest

The first died spectacularly.
The second got funded because apparently getting kicked off two platforms is not enough warning bells, and has still not released anything 3 years later.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Platystemon posted:

Far Cry 2 was the best Heart of Darkness adaptation.

:yeah:

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Why

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

How does it levitate vertically?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Paladinus posted:

Electromagnets with computer control.

I doubt they have a working prototype, though.

It’s technically possible but silly because you’d have to be really close to notice the effect.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Paladinus posted:

Should be possible fairly easily with the rotating array of magnets. It would of course not be able to stand somebody bumping into it, or possibly even a strong breeze. Hell, it might get knocked out of place by your air conditioning/heat. And probably be a pain in the rear end to get the ball back in place once you knock it loose, or even setting it up the first time.

Tears In A Vial
Jan 13, 2008

Can you set it to an interval of one second so it just fuckin wails round and round

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Are those things completely silent or are there moving parts inside ?

Harveygod
Jan 4, 2014

YEEAAH HEH HEH HEEEHH

YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYIN

THIS TRASH WAR AIN'T GONNA SOLVE ITSELF YA KNOW

"To me, Story represents a metaphor, and that's the planet revolving around the Sun."

*Lingers on picture of the moon.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
"i need something i can zone out with when i get too stoned at work" -That guy

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I think absolutely retarded kickatarters getting way over funded is the first time I've felt "old man yells at cloud" angry at something and I don't like it

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

unpacked robinhood posted:

Are those things completely silent or are there moving parts inside ?

To build them for the price they're offering, it's definitely using moving parts. You might be able to build a similar device without any internal moving parts, but it'd be a lot harder and more expensive.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Aesop Poprock posted:

I think absolutely retarded kickatarters getting way over funded is the first time I've felt "old man yells at cloud" angry at something and I don't like it

To me it's the phenomenon of people making bank to talk over video games that they are playing, to an audience eager to experience an interactive medium non-interactively. To me watching someone else play a video game isn't entertainment, it's being the little brother patiently waiting for a turn at the Nintendo that never comes.

And Kick-starters for people who want to "break in" to being a youtuber, which seems like a pretty low-entry bar as far as equipment and stuff. Like not having a nice expensive Seinhouser microphone is the only thing that's keeping you from uploading a video with your reedy, nasal voice over some minecraft gameplay.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

four hundred loving dollars

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Aesop Poprock posted:

the poor who can't pay their bills, and the rich tech farts who can't spend it fast enough!

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Pac-Manioc Root posted:

To me it's the phenomenon of people making bank to talk over video games that they are playing, to an audience eager to experience an interactive medium non-interactively. To me watching someone else play a video game isn't entertainment, it's being the little brother patiently waiting for a turn at the Nintendo that never comes.

And Kick-starters for people who want to "break in" to being a youtuber, which seems like a pretty low-entry bar as far as equipment and stuff. Like not having a nice expensive Seinhouser microphone is the only thing that's keeping you from uploading a video with your reedy, nasal voice over some minecraft gameplay.

I can understand youtubers although I don't watch very much games (for the same reason; I'd rather be playing) but what kills me is just how bad most of them are. Like if you're going to make a career out of playing videogames, could you at least learn how to do so? And then everybody has to do the same extremely forced humor that isn't funny schtick and it usually makes me so angry I can't finish the video. There's a rare few people on youtube who don't think they have to fill literally every second of video with some kind of quip, even if its painfully unfunny. Personally I'd rather just watch the game in silence for a few seconds than hear all that non-stop freaking out.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Zaphod42 posted:

I can understand youtubers although I don't watch very much games (for the same reason; I'd rather be playing) but what kills me is just how bad most of them are. Like if you're going to make a career out of playing videogames, could you at least learn how to do so? And then everybody has to do the same extremely forced humor that isn't funny schtick and it usually makes me so angry I can't finish the video. There's a rare few people on youtube who don't think they have to fill literally every second of video with some kind of quip, even if its painfully unfunny. Personally I'd rather just watch the game in silence for a few seconds than hear all that non-stop freaking out.

Dude, most of them are the modern-day form of a circus clown - being lovely at the game is part of the gimmick. It's also why they grossly overact everything, helps to keep the attention of 9 year old kids or whatever who are most of the audience.

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

wAstIng 10 bUcks ON an aVaTar iS StUpid

fishmech posted:

Dude, most of them are the modern-day form of a circus clown - being lovely at the game is part of the gimmick. It's also why they grossly overact everything, helps to keep the attention of 9 year old kids or whatever who are most of the audience.

Which is why I despise the adults who watch them.

TheKennedys
Sep 23, 2006

By my hand, I will take you from this godforsaken internet
My 5-year-old absolutely adores the "Family Gaming TV" channel, which is basically a really dorky-rear end dude and his wife that play Minecraft and Roblox or whatever with their ~6-year-old son, and the dad is the definition of that particular "do a goofy voice and yell a lot" LP trope. It's specifically geared at kids though, so I guess that's a thing kids like.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

TheKennedys posted:

My 5-year-old absolutely adores the "Family Gaming TV" channel, which is basically a really dorky-rear end dude and his wife that play Minecraft and Roblox or whatever with their ~6-year-old son, and the dad is the definition of that particular "do a goofy voice and yell a lot" LP trope. It's specifically geared at kids though, so I guess that's a thing kids like.

Maybe try playing minecraft with your child instead.

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.

Paladinus posted:

Maybe try playing minecraft with your child instead.

F'real. I used to let my son watch some of that LP stuff, but I've come to the conclusion that it's just modelling really awkward and sometimes lovely behaviour patterns from total goons, behaviour that would be far better learnt from his actual social interaction with friends.

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I wonder how a child raised on lets plays and unboxing videos would turn out

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Arthur Gies and/or Ben Kuchera.

yoloer420
May 19, 2006

This is approximately all children now... So give it ten years and let's see.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
I cant wait for the people who grew up with video games and rap music being blamed for school shootings to be even lamer than their parents and start blaming everything on YouTube.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

If my daughter weren't learning about life from YouTube she'd be learning about life from me, so bullet dodged really.

Serak
Jun 18, 2000

Approaching Midnight.

See, in the grand spectrum of bad kickstarters, I'm fine with this.

It's a super niche product that 'doesn't exist', is technically feasible (theoretically) , and which people who pay too much for homewares will want

poo poo, look at the Qlocktwo which is even more expensive and less technically difficult to make: http://www.qlocktwo.com/info.php?lang=en

Now, this is entirely apart from whether they WILL succeed, and since we're talking about kickstarter, it's not great, but this is the sort of thing Kickstarter was made for.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Probably about the same as their parents who were raised on toy commercial cartoons, and their grandparents who were raised on radio and tv kid's shows hosted by actual clowns or the station manager's son dressed up as a cowboy or astronaut.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

fishmech posted:

Should be possible fairly easily with the rotating array of magnets. It would of course not be able to stand somebody bumping into it, or possibly even a strong breeze. Hell, it might get knocked out of place by your air conditioning/heat. And probably be a pain in the rear end to get the ball back in place once you knock it loose, or even setting it up the first time.
I look forward to when there's a power outage while you're not home, so you return to a wooden circle on the wall and a ball bearing that's rolled under who knows which piece of furniture.