Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

leftist heap posted:

Also doesn't this trade cost Boogie like $30 million?

Yeeeup. No supermax for Boogie. Way to get punished for getting traded away from a team you didn't want to be traded away from.

leftist heap posted:

Zach Lowe went on a good rant about how dumb the Kings are. It's pretty good.

But he and Windyhorse also claim that teams weren't offering more for Boogie because of his personality issues, which I really don't buy at all.

I think it maybe tempered some owners a bit from an optics standpoint. Cousins is a superstar that is harder to sell than, say, Durant or Steph Curry or something. But I can't believe it would crater his value that low.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

houstonguy
Jun 2, 2005

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion

leftist heap posted:

Zach Lowe went on a good rant about how dumb the Kings are. It's pretty good.

But he and Windyhorse also claim that teams weren't offering more for Boogie because of his personality issues, which I really don't buy at all.

I mean, I certainly didn't believe it a month ago, but when good journalists like Lowe constantly mention it, and then Cousins is actually traded for what is honestly a crap return, what evidence do I really have to think otherwise?

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Yeah, Zach Lowe is being brutal. And he's right. The Kings have so little hope for the next 4 years.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

Lowe and Windhorst just report from whoever gives them access. Lowe wrote some long puff piece about Dame Lillard last season then gave him third team because he's a better leader than Harden or something

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

straight up brolic posted:

Lowe and Windhorst just report from whoever gives them access. Lowe wrote some long puff piece about Dame Lillard last season then gave him third team because he's a better leader than Harden or something

It's because Lillard constantly whines about being a worse PG than all the PGs that are better than him

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Paul Zuvella posted:

29 Million dollars.

Also what are the odds that the Cavs add Langston Galloway?

I don't know if he will make it that far. The Knicks, for instance, may very well pick him up before the Cavs get a chance.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

It's good when the small market teams racist beat reporters and commenters and lovely front offices throw their star players under the bus and then wonder why they can't get or keep any FAs

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004
So is it confirmed that Sacramento is waiving Galloway?

I'd like the Sixers to put a claim in. I think he'd be a nice off ball PG to audition Simmons ability as primary ball handler (if he plays this year *roll eyes emoji* ) and see if that combination could work.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

aBagorn posted:

I'd like the Sixers to put a claim in. I think he'd be a nice off ball PG to audition Simmons ability as primary ball handler (if he plays this year *roll eyes emoji* ) and see if that combination could work.
Apparently they're waiving Matt Barnes

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

aBagorn posted:

It's being said that they're keeping both him and Evans.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/sports/basketball/nba/2004-02-10-wallace-trade-analysis_x.htm

quote:

They showed that they aren't kidding about cleaningup their act, and they pulled off a real coup after earlier this season sending Bonzi Wells to Memphis. Everyone knew they were trying to deal Wallace, and to get Abdur-Rahim and Ratliff for him is impressive. Abdur-Rahim is a much underrated power forward who averages 20 points and 9.3 rebounds and shoots 48.5%. Ratliff, who averages 8.3 points and 7.1 rebounds, leads the league in blocked shots (3.13 a game). Portland can put an impressive lineup of Zach Randolph, Abdur-Rahim and Ratliff up front with Damon Stoudamire and Derek Anderson in the backcourt. The Blazers have recently acquired Darius Miles as the sixth man. They basically have rebuilt their team into one that is far better than it was, both in character and on the court.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

Holy poo poo

quote:

Another unjournalistic tic that has crept into the SportsCenter repertoire, and especially Van Pelt's, is calling players by their nicknames. You've forfeited a large amount of your psychological edge as a journalist when your normal way of referring to mega-talented serial reprobate Rasheed Wallace, who was run out of Portland despite being the Trailblazers' best player, is " 'Sheed." (ESPN: The Magazine is written almost entirely in this mode. Every story is told from the standpoint of the players—in overripe hip-hop slang—and the more self-absorbed and destructive the player's behavior, the more viciously his critics are misrepresented.) Maybe it's just that Patrick and Olbermann represented an era in which hipness meant detachment, and today's with-it young anchors represent an era in which hipness means sycophancy.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Jota posted:

So the Kings obviously have no chance of catching Brooklyn, but they are currently 6 games ahead of Phoenix, who has the second worst record in the league. And they are 5.5 games better than the Lakers. Anyone think those teams won't end the season with a better record than the Kings?

Well, the Lakers are trying hard to trade Lou Williams which probably means they're gonna lose a lot.

This is cool.

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

A raccoon is not finished when he is defeated. He is finished when he quits.

pubic works project posted:

It's being said that they're keeping both him and Evans.

Nooooo #FreeGalloway

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
edit: Didnn't even see your Rasheed pulls. We're on the same train of thought

It's good when the small market teams racist beat reporters and commenters and lovely front offices throw their star players under the bus and then wonder why they can't get or keep any FAs

At least football players have to get along with 50 other guys as they progress and go to real schools. The NBA world has so muchh weird high school changing AAU stuff that guys really don't have time to develop as human beings, maybe the few months in college when they can't practice and before they have to do their one semester of class work, until they get older and make an effort.

Guys who grow up with normal lives, like Draymond Green seem to have a much firmer grasp of hw to get along with teammates and what it takes to win. Instead of passive aggression like demarcus, Green has aggressive aggression, he scream and takes his anger out on the other team. It was only when Steve Kerr put the pause on his Walton enabled triple train that he got angry at him.

The fact that these guys who live mostly automated lives have any personality at all is a miracle. And we all know the sort of boss that bristles at the thought of self expression, vicious cycles of pettiness, the kings were in a black hole.

Just playing with AD and Jrue in Gentry's offense /defense, being home where he can get good country sorts of food, I think he's going to thrive.

The Wallace trade is a good but not perfect parallel, because there isn't exactly a 'culture' in New Orleans. But they have a lot of southern players who'll understand the difference between big baby demarcus and not constructive bitchy demarcus. I don't know, I just have a good feeling. Mobile is not like Sacramento. whyterice can tell you about the weirdness of norcal. There's a general feeling of good tidings and cheer in the deep south that should help Cousins thrive.

They're really just in need of shooters beyond Et'wuan Moore and Monatjauananas. They need to dredge the d-league so they can bulldoze some teams offensively and make the playoffs.

Dejan Bimble fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Feb 20, 2017

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
SO is this year's dunk contest actually worth watching at all or no?

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

Let's play a game. Who is the worst player on your team that is still having a better season than Buddy Hield?

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

Punkin Spunkin posted:

SO is this year's dunk contest actually worth watching at all or no?
No no no

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun

mods please rename me Mega-Talented Serial Reprobate

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream
It's been a day and I still can't believe how loving stupid the kings are

Sharparoni
Jan 11, 2004

THE MOST EXCITING MASCOT IN THE LAST 4000 YEARS OF COLLEGE SPORTS

BWV posted:

Let's play a game. Who is the worst player on your team that is still having a better season than Buddy Hield?

Iman Shumpert

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
I was thinking of a similar question: Who's the best player on your team you'd be willing to give up for the Cousins package?

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

I would trade every one on the Raptors not named Lowry and Derozan and that's only because I'm so emotionally invested in both of them (even tho DMC is better than each of them).

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

BWV posted:

Boban Marjanovic?
Reggie Bullock?
Destroyed knees reggie Jackson

But if you ignore the first 2.5 months of the season buddy's having a decently efficiently low minutes 3 ppoint gunner no defense season.

xbilkis posted:

I was thinking of a similar question: Who's the best player on your team you'd be willing to give up for the Cousins package?

Andre Drummond

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
drat
Well I thought the 3 point contest was fun at least

"There he's got his rhythm"
*miss*
"He's gonna make four out of the next five."
*miss*
"Yeah I think this is his rack!"
*miss* *miss*

Sharparoni
Jan 11, 2004

THE MOST EXCITING MASCOT IN THE LAST 4000 YEARS OF COLLEGE SPORTS

I would trade any of these guys for Tyreke and company because according to the image only one of them even plays basketball for the Cavs

Just kidding, who would trade JR

paternity suitor
Aug 2, 2016

What are Boogie's thoughts re: Flat Earth? Maybe he knew too much?

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

BWV posted:

Shabazz Muhammed (who is only 1 year older)
Tyus Jones (much better season and 3 years younger)
Lance Stephenson is really close.

xbilkis posted:

Not KAT. And I'd want to keep either Wiggins or LaVine (prefer Wiggins). Basically anyone else the Kings could take alongside any picks legally allowed to give up.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

xbilkis posted:

I'd have happily bounced anyone other than Harden.

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

chunkles posted:

I'd have happily bounced anyone other than Harden.

Me too, if he was amenable to re-signing with the team. Otherwise, I personally hate rentals. They drive me crazy!

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
I meant who would you be willing to give up for Buddy + Pelicans protected first + all the filler

It's not a fun game with the Bulls because they're trash, but I feel like 76ers fans wouldn't want to give up Noel for that package

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Damian got all NBA on narrative, that scrappy team made the playoffs with a high seed, and literally everyone loves him, he's charismatic and a leader. Harden pouted through the season because he hated Dwight Howard, or something?

I don't know man, production matters but when your best player has the body language of a child who lost their favorite toy for the entire season, compared to the archteypal charismatic leader. Maybe it's worth giving the 3rd team all NBA to the scrappy underdog guy instead of the incredible basketball player.

It doesn't actually make sense, but I can put myself in their shoes, watching too much Houston possessions and just feeling miserable afterwards.

It's 2017, we should reward friendship basketball. Even Lebron's stern german father, you must pass the ball and then you must cut and you must wait for the 4th passs, basketball is sharing and caring in its own right

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

Pels first is alright, but I probably wouldn't trade for Evans or Hield.

e: Harden had the decency to give up on his music career after releasing one hit single

girl

i work so harden to be with youuuuuuu

chunkles fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Feb 20, 2017

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Time posted:

Me too, if he was amenable to re-signing with the team. Otherwise, I personally hate rentals. They drive me crazy!

Ibaka is a rental. Cousins has a whole year after this season which is a huge difference.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Boogie will never re-sign but Buddy will never win

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

Tae posted:

Ibaka is a rental. Cousins has a whole year after this season which is a huge difference.

Oh I got confused about his contract length! Thank you

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Boogie will never resign but Buddy will never win

He hasn't said he won't resign, he said he won't sign an early extension. If he doesn't resign he loses out on another 8 figures of salary and probably won't be able to get on a team as good as one with AD.

roundmidnight
Jul 9, 2010

Tae posted:

Ibaka isn't a rental, Ujiri wants to re-sign him assuming the Raptors don't flame out in the first round (and even then).

Smellyhead
Jun 20, 2003
Cabbages smell funny too.
Was this the worst All-Star weekend in history? The dunk contest sucked. One of the guys in the 3 pt contest scored a 9. The All star game never turned into an actual game.
The whole thing kinda sucked...?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch
If you're banking on the all-star game being an actual game at any point or hoping that the dunk contest will be any good you're fighting against the majority of recorded basketball history

• Locked thread