Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Trump
Jul 16, 2003

Cute
Woah, just returned after being away for... a year? More? Dunno really.

Any recommendation for some fun stuff to go for? I got the Iowa and thats about it. No time spend of britain, Russia or germany. Also have some cash to drop on a prem ship if there is a kickass one out there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Trump posted:

Woah, just returned after being away for... a year? More? Dunno really.

Any recommendation for some fun stuff to go for? I got the Iowa and thats about it. No time spend of britain, Russia or germany. Also have some cash to drop on a prem ship if there is a kickass one out there.

Best Premiums (that you can buy with money directly) are Scharnhorst, Belfast, Kutuzov, and Atago.

Russian cruisers are cool if you like frantically pressing the rudder keys to dodge the 5 BBs that all want you dead because otherwise you will burn them down. Russian destroyers are the same, but with cruisers shooting at you as well but no citadel to get rekt by.

German BBs are incredibly loving durable (I once took 170% of my maximum HP and survived the match). They have awesome secondaries, ok AA, and terrible accuracy.

The UK cruiser line is weird as gently caress and is about spamming special super-AP. They've got a smoke screen and the most amazing bullshit heal, but none of them have any armor worth a drat. BBs and even cruisers will erase you if they get good shots at your side.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Yeah, UK cruiser AP has several special things going for them - and you'll need it, as they have no HE whatsoever. For their caliber, at least once you get out of the early tiers, they have incredibly high penetration. They have incredibly short fusing times, so you'll generally do penetration damage, rather than overpens, regardless of what or where you're shooting at. And the most super-special thing about their AP is that shell bounce calculation angles are significantly reduced for them, so you can penetrate ships from a much steeper angle than others. Also, going along with you having small guns, you have very fast reloading guns. And, as mentioned, they've got smoke.

What happens when you put this together? Destroyers absolutely hate you - your AP shells will penetrate them rather than overpen and it's not uncommon kill one in 2-3 salvoes from full health. Cruisers absolutely hate you, because if they accidentally give you (perhaps invisible in your smoke?) even remotely close to a broadside, they'll probably be eating citadels. Battleships absolutely hate you, because your shells are rapid-fire and will be doing penetrations to their upper hull and superstructure, chewing through them at a frightening rate if they give you a broadside - I've gotten singular 10k salvoes against Bismarcks. If you're in the T9 or 10, CVs absolutely hate you too, because your AA suddenly became ludicrously insane despite your lack of Defensive Fire.

Oh and you've got torpedoes, and UK cruisers get something super-special with those too. They don't get wide and narrow selections for torpedo launches, instead they get narrow and single launch, where you launch one at a time along the exact line you want.

Just always remember you are also basically an unarmored citadel that happens to reach fairly high into the air, and play as such. T7-8 are mean in that they have waterline citadels though, making them somewhat safer.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

RN cruisers also have the fastest acceleration in the game, perhaps only beaten by a DD with the speed boost consumable activated. They go from 0 to flank so fast, that you can fire at a stationary one from 8km and have all the shells land in the wake. Plus they don't bleed speed in the turns like everyone else, so they can do the maddest of torpedobeats and WASD hax without being slowed to a hittable crawl.

Burt
Sep 23, 2007

Poke.

I lost 6 games in a row in my Fat Kurrywurst last night. And I don't care as they were some of the most frantic brawls I have been in for a while. I would either get 130K+ games or insta gibbed as there were normally at least 4 DDs per side. There were some massive skill walls it has to be said.

The day you play to the best of your ability but stop giving a gently caress about winning or your stats is the day this game gets to be massive fun.

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

Krogort posted:

If you own a Khabarovsk do you gain anything from the branch split ?
I don't suppose they give you a Grozovoy free of charge ?

No, the Khabarovsk stays pretty much as it is. You'll want the Gnevny, Ognevoi, Kiev, and Udaloi if memory serves.

Cippalippus
Mar 31, 2007

Out for a ride, chillin out w/ a couple of friends. Going to be back for dinner

Lord Koth posted:

Yeah, UK cruiser AP has several special things going for them - and you'll need it, as they have no HE whatsoever. For their caliber, at least once you get out of the early tiers, they have incredibly high penetration. They have incredibly short fusing times, so you'll generally do penetration damage, rather than overpens, regardless of what or where you're shooting at. And the most super-special thing about their AP is that shell bounce calculation angles are significantly reduced for them, so you can penetrate ships from a much steeper angle than others. Also, going along with you having small guns, you have very fast reloading guns. And, as mentioned, they've got smoke.

What happens when you put this together? Destroyers absolutely hate you - your AP shells will penetrate them rather than overpen and it's not uncommon kill one in 2-3 salvoes from full health. Cruisers absolutely hate you, because if they accidentally give you (perhaps invisible in your smoke?) even remotely close to a broadside, they'll probably be eating citadels. Battleships absolutely hate you, because your shells are rapid-fire and will be doing penetrations to their upper hull and superstructure, chewing through them at a frightening rate if they give you a broadside - I've gotten singular 10k salvoes against Bismarcks. If you're in the T9 or 10, CVs absolutely hate you too, because your AA suddenly became ludicrously insane despite your lack of Defensive Fire.

Oh and you've got torpedoes, and UK cruisers get something super-special with those too. They don't get wide and narrow selections for torpedo launches, instead they get narrow and single launch, where you launch one at a time along the exact line you want.

Just always remember you are also basically an unarmored citadel that happens to reach fairly high into the air, and play as such. T7-8 are mean in that they have waterline citadels though, making them somewhat safer.

This is all true, but add to all of this the Belfast. At tier 7 you get smoke, radar and hydro; unlike the other RN cruisers, you also get HE shells.

Add to this that the spotting range on it is 8.7km (yes, really) and you get a cruiser that is only marginally harder to spot than some destroyers that can pop smoke close to a t8 or t9 battleship and land 3-6k HE salvoes.

It's pretty broken. Ah, the drawback? No torps.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD

Cippalippus posted:

This is all true, but add to all of this the Belfast. At tier 7 you get smoke, radar and hydro; unlike the other RN cruisers, you also get HE shells.

Add to this that the spotting range on it is 8.7km (yes, really) and you get a cruiser that is only marginally harder to spot than some destroyers that can pop smoke close to a t8 or t9 battleship and land 3-6k HE salvoes.

Don't forget you can stealth fire at 13.4km fully upgraded. Speaking of upgrades, the Belfast is a T7 CL with access to the T8 concealment mod. Because :wargaming:

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

Cippalippus posted:

no heal as well.

Cippalippus
Mar 31, 2007

True that. No heal, torps or spotting plane. It's still hard to get less than 100k games once you have a 14 points captain, with IFHE, Demolition expert and concealment maxed. Even angled a battleship will receive between 2k and 7k for every salvo. You only need AP to citadel cruisers, basically.

With a maxed captain when you get spotted you just hit the radar and voilà! DD spotted.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Cippalippus posted:

True that. No heal, torps or spotting plane. It's still hard to get less than 100k games once you have a 14 points captain, with IFHE, Demolition expert and concealment maxed. Even angled a battleship will receive between 2k and 7k for every salvo. You only need AP to citadel cruisers, basically.

With a maxed captain when you get spotted you just hit the radar and voilà! DD spotted.

I'm running

Priority Target
Expert Marksman
Adreniline Rush
Demolition Expert
Concealment Expert
Radio Location

On my Belfast Captain and it's p.good. Radio Location lets you know early which flag the enemy team is going for. Priority Target gives you more info about how much time you have before you need to run and everything else is DPS.

I'm finding Radio Location less and less useful though so I think i'm going to have to respec him to IFHE even though that's uselss on my Edinburgh.

Cippalippus
Mar 31, 2007

I had radio location and found it useless except in one single game where it was marginally useful. I then respecced it. IFHE on the other hand is crazily useful in every game, with demolition expert it becomes stupidly powerful.

At 16 points get adrenaline rush. When damaged, you shoot fast like a destroyer. Hello 5k salvoes every 5 seconds, not counting fires!

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

yeah Adrenaline Rush is a good skill, I originally got it for my Edinburgh but it works very well on the Belfast.

Burt
Sep 23, 2007

Poke.

Cippalippus posted:

I had radio location and found it useless except in one single game where it was marginally useful. I then respecced it. IFHE on the other hand is crazily useful in every game, with demolition expert it becomes stupidly powerful.

At 16 points get adrenaline rush. When damaged, you shoot fast like a destroyer. Hello 5k salvoes every 5 seconds, not counting fires!

Actually you have to take demolition expert to try and get back some of the % fire chance you lose with IFHE, that's it's only drawback.

Cippalippus
Mar 31, 2007

Yeah, demo expert is the rank 3 skill of choice- adrenaline rush is rank 2. Superintendent is the last skill to get, at rank 19.

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

Cippalippus posted:

Yeah, demo expert is the rank 3 skill of choice- adrenaline rush is rank 2. Superintendent is the last skill to get, at rank 19.

Superintendent last on a Belfast? A ship that has 3 super important consumables? :psyduck:

Cippalippus
Mar 31, 2007

I know, I was unsure about it initially. But all the other relevant skills are always useful; Superintendent is only useful in extremely few games. I've found myself only needing the 4th smoke twice.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

El Disco posted:

Superintendent last on a Belfast? A ship that has 3 super important consumables? :psyduck:

I find games rarely last long enough to make use out of that last hit. You're better increasing your DPS really.

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

I can't believe I kissed you!

Blindeye fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Feb 20, 2017

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

You mean to tell me that I can now blame my generation for losing?

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

Ice Fist posted:

You mean to tell me that I can now blame my generation for losing?

Apparently. The funniest part is our team lost because they camped based hard and people pushed into them and died, which was really unusual for domination.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Blindeye posted:

Apparently. The funniest part is our team lost because they camped based hard and people pushed into them and died, which was really unusual for domination.

The escalation to this is to blame the baby boomers for making us this way. The real reason we can't win at warships is generational issues dating back to the time where these ships were somewhat relevant. :vince: I'VE FIGURED IT OUT GUYS.

dogsarentdangerous
Aug 11, 2008
Started playing this game on Saturday and I'm loving the Cruisers and can do reasonably well in them. The Battleships are another matter though, is it just that the first Japanese battleship (Kawachi) is dogshit? It seems really slow and really short ranged?

Thundercakes
Nov 4, 2011

dogsarentdangerous posted:

Started playing this game on Saturday and I'm loving the Cruisers and can do reasonably well in them. The Battleships are another matter though, is it just that the first Japanese battleship (Kawachi) is dogshit? It seems really slow and really short ranged?

It gets a lot better with the Kongo if you're going up the Japanese line. The rest of the IJN battleships are solid all the way up.

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

So I got a supercontainer with the hydroacoustic search module (extends the runtime by 20%). It replaces the 2nd slot of most ships, which blows with the exception of German DDs (lol).

But...I have a Lo Yang...and that seems like it might be viable. Replace the accuracy or AA mod for the longer hydro and you can have an extended DD fight supporting cruisers by screening for torps.

Thoughts?

dogsarentdangerous
Aug 11, 2008

Thundercakes posted:

It gets a lot better with the Kongo if you're going up the Japanese line. The rest of the IJN battleships are solid all the way up.

Cheers, guess I'll just grind on through and break it up with Cruiser fun times

Thundercakes
Nov 4, 2011

Cheers, guess I'll just grind on through and break it up with Cruiser fun times

Yeah all the tier 3 battleships are kinda meh. At tier 5 and up all the lines are pretty solid in my opinion, but US battleships don't get above a crawl before tier 7. If you want some speed then IJN is a solid place to start. You'll also be happy with how hard the Kongo punches (all the IJN BB past tier 4 are pretty accurate and hit like a truck). I felt competitive in it even in games where I was uptiered. Fuso will be kinda inaccurate relative to the rest of the line but you're putting enough shells down range to hit something usually.

The one caviat is you don't want to brawl with them. Their armor is squishier than the other lines in general.

Thundercakes fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Feb 20, 2017

Pacra
Aug 5, 2004

Awwwwww yeah my dudes

https://wowreplays.com/Home/MatchmakingMonitor

The Matchmaking Monitor application is designed to show you real-time stats for all players in the battle you are currently playing. The application monitors your gameplay and when it detects that a new battle has begun it will reach out to the wargaming servers and get the most recent stats for each player involved. Every time a new battle begins, the stats are automatically refreshed with the current players.

:getin: :can:

Forums are blowin' up

dogsarentdangerous
Aug 11, 2008

Thundercakes posted:

Yeah all the tier 3 battleships are kinda meh. At tier 5 and up all the lines are pretty solid in my opinion, but US battleships don't get above a crawl before tier 7. If you want some speed then IJN is a solid place to start. You'll also be happy with how hard the Kongo punches (all the IJN BB past tier 4 are pretty accurate and hit like a truck). I felt competitive in it even in games where I was uptiered. Fuso will be kinda inaccurate relative to the rest of the line but you're putting enough shells down range to hit something usually.

The one caviat is you don't want to brawl with them. Their armor is squishier than the other lines in general.

That sounds good, my favourite games so far have been in the Phoenix, which plays like a sort of 'fast sniper' (or at least that's how I play it).

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

That sounds good, my favourite games so far have been in the Phoenix, which plays like a sort of 'fast sniper' (or at least that's how I play it).

Oh my God. If the most fun in this game for you has been the Phoenix then boy the only direction the fun meter can go for you is up.

dogsarentdangerous
Aug 11, 2008

Ice Fist posted:

Oh my God. If the most fun in this game for you has been the Phoenix then boy the only direction the fun meter can go for you is up.

Well at first I thought it was really, really bad, but after all the upgrades it's really grown on me. Its got the longest range of any of the ships I currently have, but seems to die incredibly quickly if you make a mistake, which makes for some pretty cool games.

mik
Oct 16, 2003
oh

Pacra posted:

Awwwwww yeah my dudes

https://wowreplays.com/Home/MatchmakingMonitor

The Matchmaking Monitor application is designed to show you real-time stats for all players in the battle you are currently playing. The application monitors your gameplay and when it detects that a new battle has begun it will reach out to the wargaming servers and get the most recent stats for each player involved. Every time a new battle begins, the stats are automatically refreshed with the current players.

:getin: :can:

Forums are blowin' up

It'll be banned soon. I hope.

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

mik posted:

It'll be banned soon. I hope.

Why?

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD

Just call me the Pubbie Whisperer.
Rank 7, 2 stars. The Belfast is some hot bullshit.

I should update my guide, by the way. On ships with non-glacial turret rotation, Adrenaline Rush is a superior choice over Expert Marksmen, assuming you're not poo poo at the game and have learned how to pre-turn turrets and plan your maneuvers. Being at low HP and getting ~15% faster reloads is fantastic, especially in the DPM monster that is the Belfast.

El Disco posted:

See, Demo Expert is always on and always helps every time you hit something with HE. Superintendent only helps in games that go long enough to require a 4th charge of your skills. Demo Expert is the more important choice, though I agree, Superintendent is a big pickup too and should be your skill at 17 (Priority Target, AR, DE, IFHE, CE, then finally SI). Cap off the captain with Jack of All Trades, or take Expert Marksmen, finally.

Hazdoc fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Feb 20, 2017

Pacra
Aug 5, 2004

XVM was a similar in-game tool created for World of Tanks that showed you a ton of information about players' statistics in battles.

Many WoT players would say this created a toxic environment of A) Players whining about team compositions with low winrates/stats, B) Unicum players seal-clubbing using stat knowledge to see who they could club, C) Platoons and teams in general focusing on the good players aka 'stat sniping', D) Players checking stats, seeing that their team has an extremely low chance of winning, and then shaming their teammates, firing and killing them, then suiciding (or suiciding right away to get in the next match), E) metagame changes, since your choice of tactics or battle strategy is affected by the stat information at hand.

You can bet everyone in Discord will be using it by tonight, though...

mik
Oct 16, 2003
oh
The last mod that did the same thing was banned rather quickly. I stat shame the traditional way, pulling up warships.today on a second monitor.

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

Hazdoc posted:

Just call me the Pubbie Whisperer.
Rank 7, 2 stars. The Belfast is some hot bullshit.

I should update my guide, by the way. On ships with non-glacial turret rotation, Adrenaline Rush is a superior choice over Expert Marksmen, assuming you're not poo poo at the game and have learned how to pre-turn turrets and plan your maneuvers. Being at low HP and getting ~15% faster reloads is fantastic, especially in the DPM monster that is the Belfast.

See, Demo Expert is always on and always helps every time you hit something with HE. Superintendent only helps in games that go long enough to require a 4th charge of your skills. Demo Expert is the more important choice, though I agree, Superintendent is a big pickup too and should be your skill at 17 (Priority Target, AR, DE, IFHE, CE, then finally SI). Cap off the captain with Jack of All Trades, or take Expert Marksmen, finally.

My ranked game VS. you we just had was the third absolutely stompingest game I've had in a row. Is today's ranked hosed, or is it just me?

mik
Oct 16, 2003
oh
Got to rank 5 today. Much less camp-less ARP Myokos, and a lot more Belfasts.

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

Pacra posted:

XVM was a similar in-game tool created for World of Tanks that showed you a ton of information about players' statistics in battles.

Many WoT players would say this created a toxic environment of A) Players whining about team compositions with low winrates/stats, B) Unicum players seal-clubbing using stat knowledge to see who they could club, C) Platoons and teams in general focusing on the good players aka 'stat sniping', D) Players checking stats, seeing that their team has an extremely low chance of winning, and then shaming their teammates, firing and killing them, then suiciding (or suiciding right away to get in the next match), E) metagame changes, since your choice of tactics or battle strategy is affected by the stat information at hand.

You can bet everyone in Discord will be using it by tonight, though...

I played WOT since before XVM really took hold and the only thing it changed was it made the people that insist "stats are luck" complain louder, and helped sky cancer spend more time trying to click on purples.

It'll probably get banned soon but people don't need a third party app to be toxic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cippalippus
Mar 31, 2007

A good reason to quit WOT was that, with over 3k WN8, when XVM became common everyone and their mother tried to do anything to kill me. If XVM or something similar to it becomes a thing in WOWS I'll probably hide my stats, even though I'm not at unicum levels, yet.