Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Holy poo poo I am now a Spear parry Pro. gently caress you Benkei or whatever your name is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Dual sword parry is so good and fast it makes going to any other weapon totally miserable

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

lets hang out posted:

Dual sword parry is so good and fast it makes going to any other weapon totally miserable

I think Haze is slightly faster, but the dual sword parry where you stab the other chump in the foot is serviceable, too.

Spear parry can eat my shorts, it's so bad.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
So if I want to farm the samurai training guy in the dojo for the Genius Strategist's text, does it matter whether I fight him in the novice or veteran's training?

Winkie01
Nov 28, 2004
How the hell do I get a +1 or higher weapon?

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Winkie01 posted:

Offer cups and find them in stages or get them as mission rewards

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Feenix posted:

At least with a spear, Parry timing (Twirl) feels like it requires precognition.

[edit] Wow.. this far into the game, and I am just learning myself to Parry. And it's taking a while, but it feels GOOD MAN!

I had this exact feeling last night. I'm in region five and up to Saika. Ran into the room and actually hit block, knocked him out of the air and did some damage, then parried his next attack and managed to ki regen into iai stance :madmax:

edit: more like cyka right hehehe (he still kicked my rear end)

JBP fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Feb 21, 2017

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Eschatos posted:

Goddamn, Tengu are fuckin nasty. It took me like 15 tries to beat the miniboss rush on the sidequest at Umi-Bozu's level. Ended up just saying gently caress it and buying/attuning onmyo to enchant my weapons with earth and fire.

Tengu are weak to lightning. It shouldn't take much to get them with the electrified debuff then they become total pushovers.

Winkie01 posted:

Need to find them as drops. Then you can soul match them with whatever weapon you actually want to use and go all the way to 10? I think. But, you have to soul match weapons that are the same +level or it won't go up. ie A +2 sword and +2 sword will result in +3, but a +1 and +2 will result in a +2.

Same goes for armor and ranged weapons.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Deified Data posted:

So if I want to farm the samurai training guy in the dojo for the Genius Strategist's text, does it matter whether I fight him in the novice or veteran's training?

I'm sure I've seen someone say that drop rates increase in the more difficult dojo fights.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

JBP posted:

I'm sure I've seen someone say that drop rates increase in the more difficult dojo fights.
Are there NG+ versions of those fights?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Eschatos posted:

Goddamn, Tengu are fuckin nasty. It took me like 15 tries to beat the miniboss rush on the sidequest at Umi-Bozu's level. Ended up just saying gently caress it and buying/attuning onmyo to enchant my weapons with earth and fire.

That guy spawned, I started panicking, fired off every talisman I still had, dodged away as he took to the air... and then he dived straight into the ocean. It was goddamned hilarious.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
It's not very stylish, but Tengu are really easy to plink to death with hit-and-run attacks. Their kick-spin combo hits really hard and has full 360° coverage, which also means they can easily be tricked into spamming it and opening themselves up for a hit or two at a time. Just have to watch out for the occasional staff-swing they chain onto the end.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Oxxidation posted:

It's not very stylish, but Tengu are really easy to plink to death with hit-and-run attacks. Their kick-spin combo hits really hard and has full 360° coverage, which also means they can easily be tricked into spamming it and opening themselves up for a hit or two at a time. Just have to watch out for the occasional staff-swing they chain onto the end.

Yeah that's how I'm handling it. You bait out the one-two combo, get a couple hits, keep an itchy trigger finger on the guard if they do the stick follow-up. It works for most times except that awful mission where you fight two at once.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Tengu are annoying because they don't have the same flying vulnerability as other winged beasties as far as I can tell.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
Yuki-onna can go to hell. That 3x5 is murder.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

Block two dodge two last one should scoot right over you

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

TheHoosier posted:

is stance-dancing a valid technique I should learn to use? I see there are some skills that correspond to switching during a combo, but it feels sort of clunky? Maybe i'm bad

It's pretty useful to dodge into position in low stance then hit with a massive combo in high stance, then ki pulse back into low to get away. Probably not necessary though. It's not too hard once you get used it. Swapping weapons mid combo, on the other hand, is a real bitch.

Ajax
Mar 16, 2004

Aunt Petunia's Girdle!
What's happening?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bg6j_3QkNZQ

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Does using multiple talismans stack duration?

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

verbal enema posted:

Block two dodge two last one should scoot right over you

Gonna try this

I just hate this boss and level so much! Ice is the worst

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

lol that that guys got a glitched 320 wep and still using sloth talismans

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
How are people even getting those 320 weapons? Is it just a random chance bug while forging divine weapons?

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
The caves boss can suck a dick. I'm considering going back to the starting point to reforge better items or something, since I have collected a ton during this level and haven't forged anything really. Worthwhile?

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

It might be! New gear wouldn't hurt but early on getting new skills will be a more significant force multiplier so there's always farming for levels

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

Gonna try this

I just hate this boss and level so much! Ice is the worst

Yeah she was a real wall for me. Didn't help I got lost in that level like for HOURS

Did feel good to go back with a buddy and clown the heck outta her

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

TaurusOxford posted:

How are people even getting those 320 weapons? Is it just a random chance bug while forging divine weapons?

yeah, you spend hours at it and maybe you get lucky

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

I didn't have too much trouble for some reason (at least compared to some other bosses which brought me to tears). The main thing I had to be wary of was that ice aoe around her and the ranged poo poo as you said. If you do like the other poster suggested and block then dodge you should be good. Alternatively my method was to always be in her grill attacking unless the aoe was coming. You want to be in light armour and regenerating ki quickly though.

Alternatively if you're like me and do magic just get yourself a sloth talisman and apply fire your weapon to blast through her.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

redreader posted:

The caves boss can suck a dick. I'm considering going back to the starting point to reforge better items or something, since I have collected a ton during this level and haven't forged anything really. Worthwhile?

It depends in the problem you're having you're not gonna get armor that stops her from 3-shotting you with a full combo.

There is a set that you can find in the level that has paralysis resistance. That couls help if you keep getting paralyzed.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

I got summoned into the level with the big skeleton boss. The guy was idle. I cleared the whole level and he was still away. So I slowly pushed him into the boss arena and baited attacks until he died.

Sorry your spirit is in the boss arena and everything respawned bro.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I will never understand why people summon and then idle. It's a huge dick move.

Also when people summon and don't know where they want to go, so I just get bored and lead them all over the map trying to figure out where the gently caress they want to go.

Like, they stand there running around me doing nothing, so I pick a place to go, and I gdt there than they've already cleared it. And it's like, why did you follow me here, if you had already been here? You following me is the only reason I kept going.

Kryopsis
Jun 30, 2012

Shapes and colours the likes of which I've never seen!
Nothing describes Nioh better than a demon monk sitting by the hot springs, playing his stringed instrument (also a demon) and filthy foreign devil William shooting him in the face with a huge gun from 200 m away.

This game is even better than I hoped based on the alpha/beta. :allears:

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
I killed the hee-ho and I'm glad of it.

Block 2 dodge 2 didn't end up working out for me. Might need to tinker more with my build or something. Staying aggressively close worked though. Boss doesn't really use those ranged attacks in close combat. Fewer attacks to watch out for, with very clear tells.

Also I noticed that only male characters are depicted in thongs. There's a real shortage of bandit and oni pants in this time period.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Nioh Co-op: Two idiot ninjas run around taking shirts from people.

The best part of co-op is doing things at the EXACT same time. Duo fall attacks! Duo grapples! Duo high-five that somehow ended up with my summoner falling into a pit and dying!

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Sword of Meditation basically exists for looking cool in front of your coop partner.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

I killed the hee-ho and I'm glad of it.

Block 2 dodge 2 didn't end up working out for me. Might need to tinker more with my build or something. Staying aggressively close worked though. Boss doesn't really use those ranged attacks in close combat. Fewer attacks to watch out for, with very clear tells.

Also I noticed that only male characters are depicted in thongs. There's a real shortage of bandit and oni pants in this time period.

As soon as anything throws/fires/casts a projectile at me I beeline for their grill. There are a few fast moving exceptions that you'll deal with, but actually fighting your enemy is almost always better than hanging back looking for openings. You can sustain a series of attacks for a long time once you're used to the combat and it's worth hammering that into your brain because I did it later and it meant I ended up confronting a learning cliff face in region 4.

Sloth talismans are a good crutch for when you lose patience and want to kill yourself (I have slowed many a dickhead), but I prefer the drain life ones now because they are still potent as gently caress, but also mean you learn timing and blocking. You just don't need to stay on a razors edge for as long thanks to the opponent running our of ki.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
Yeah I went back to the starting point after having trouble with the cave boss and forged 2 'nioh swords', which are level 14 purple. (is that just good luck on my part? not all ingredients were purple) so now my damage is higher than it was before since I reached max on one of those two swords.

Questions: do I get samurai points from getting more familiarity with weapons? And why does my sword just feel weak as gently caress? I've got like, 11 body, 15 heart, 11 spirit, the rest are like 6.

redreader fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Feb 21, 2017

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
the warrior monk mask is starting to pop up among the revenants.

Looks like a tube sick wrapped around their heads and I love it.

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008
If I'm in the middle of a level, is there anyway to bail out and go back to the world view to do poo poo (dojo missions, blacksmith, etc) without losing my progress?

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

BoyBlunder posted:

If I'm in the middle of a level, is there anyway to bail out and go back to the world view to do poo poo (dojo missions, blacksmith, etc) without losing my progress?

Nope. Gotta be in it to win it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

the warrior monk mask is starting to pop up among the revenants.

Looks like a tube sick wrapped around their heads and I love it.

I wore that for awhile and loled at many cutscenes