Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Grenrow posted:

The saga of Angelina Jolie's Cleopatra movie was amazing.

I missed that one. Got it handy?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Grenrow posted:

The saga of Angelina Jolie's Cleopatra movie was amazing.

As was what started as Fincher's and became Boyle's Steve Jobs movie.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
A Cleopatra movie is one of those things that seems like it has the stink of a "Hollywood Curse" on it.

Grenrow
Apr 11, 2016

Snowman_McK posted:

I missed that one. Got it handy?

Here you go. My favorite one:

Lemon
May 22, 2003

I almost liked God of Egypt but that lead hunk (not Jaime, the human) was just so, so bad. Easily the worst acting I've seen in a long time.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Lemon posted:

I almost liked God of Egypt but that lead hunk (not Jaime, the human) was just so, so bad. Easily the worst acting I've seen in a long time.

Brendon Thwaites. Dreadful.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune

Josh Lyman posted:

The first time I saw the trailer, I was interested. Ever subsequent marketing exposure made me less interested, to the point where I still haven't see it even at home.

You should, its really fun. Fat Russell Crowe best Russell Crowe

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Speaking of The Nice Guys, I happened to watch it last night and it's really a fantastic movie. It's been said before, but holy poo poo that swimming pool scene at the end. Incredible.

Crowe and Gosling are charming as gently caress in that movie, too.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

The Nice Guys is my pick for last year's best movie. There were a lot of stinkers last year and it's one of the few bright spots.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
It was the second best darkly funny buddy cop movie with a really handsome blond guy in it.

The best was War on Everyone.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Here's that scene, by the way. It's even better if you have no frame of reference for it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fja_62Bft-Q

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Gonz posted:

Here's that scene, by the way. It's even better if you have no frame of reference for it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fja_62Bft-Q
Also, Keith David is in it.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Josh Lyman posted:

Spidey thought

Hey Amy - just a couple of rando thoughts from 35,000 LAX-JFK:

- A rising trend we see with Millennials are the really extreme forms of experiential exercise like Tough Mudder (a sort of filthy triathalon), the Color Run and even things like Hot Power Yoga, veganism etc. Millennials will often post “N.B.D.” on their social media after doing it , as in No Big Deal, also known as the “humble brag”.....wondering if Spidey could get into that in some way....he’s super athletic, bendy, strong, intense....and it’s all NBD to him, of course.

- EDM (electronic dance music) is the defining music for Millennials. Wondering if there’s an EDM angle somewhere with Spidey? His movements are beautiful, would be awesome with a killer DJ behind it

- Snapchat just launched a “story” functionality, which is sort of “day in the life of me” told in a series of snapchats that expire after 24 hours. It has a very VIP quality about it, since invitation only. Getting invited into Spidey’s Snapchat circle would be huge, and very buzzworthy and cool.

to be fair to Mr Rando Thoughts, while the first one is the dumbest loving thing I've ever heard, the second actually led to one of the best parts of ASM2, and Spider-Man with a Snapchat is a genuinely good advertising idea that should be recycled when Homecoming comes out.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"
You guys didn't mind that the Nice Guys was essentially the exact same movie Shane Black has made like 4 times now?

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Ammanas posted:

You guys didn't mind that the Nice Guys was essentially the exact same movie Shane Black has made like 4 times now?

Bernard Cornwell has written the same book 56 times now (literally 56) and continues to sell well.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Ammanas posted:

If he wants to keep making films about two main characters who become friends and trade witty dialogue at Christmas time while solving a convoluted crime plot involving a kidnapping for the next 20 years I'll keep watching them. :colbert:

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

Totally fine with it, and expecting Predator to be more of the same

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Tars Tarkas posted:

Totally fine with it, and expecting Predator to be more of the same

Alien vs. Predator by Shane Black as a buddy comedy-action movie.

Also yeah, Nice Guys is great, Kiss Kiss Bang Bang is great, Last Kiss Goodnight is great.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

GrandpaPants posted:

Alien vs. Predator by Shane Black as a buddy comedy-action movie.

Also yeah, Nice Guys is great, Kiss Kiss Bang Bang is great, Last Kiss Goodnight is great.

Last Boy Scout too

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

LesterGroans posted:

I love that email so much.

It's so much better now that I have the 'Snake People' Chrome plugin installed.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Ammanas posted:

It's essentially the exact same movie he's been making for thirty-plus years now, and you know what? It still works. He found a successful formula, but keeps himself - and us - from being bored with it by changing everything that connects the formula together each time.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Brendon Thwaites. Dreadful.

Brenton (which is somehow douchier sounding than Brendon) Thrwaites was really good in The Giver (which is a really overlooked movie) so I'm disappointed to hear he was bad in that.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

He was alright in Gods of Egypt.But nothing special.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

Snowman_McK posted:

It was the second best darkly funny buddy cop movie with a really handsome blond guy in it.

The best was War on Everyone.

War on Everyone was good, but I think Nice Guys flowed better, highly recommend both to people who like fun buddy action flicks.

Femur
Jan 10, 2004
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP

Lemon posted:

Yeah, him and the 1eye guy were terrible, but the story gave them nothing to work with.

The god guy got his rear end kicked and didn't have to learn to fight better or nothing. I don't think the human guy changed in anyway.

I was with Butlers it's my turn! stuff, but his plan didn't make sense either.

So it was basically an adventure story with no treasure.

rethinking this, Butler was the one collecting treasures to beat his dad? Was he suppose to be the hero?

Femur fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Feb 21, 2017

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

I would have liked The Nice Guys a lot more if I hadn't seen any trailers for it. The trailers had some creative editing but they still gave away a lot of great scenes. I think the most memorable scenes for me ended up being all things that were not in the trailer (like Gosling seeking cover on a rotating car platform, Gosling grabbing Crowe's leg to look for a non-existent ankle revolver).

A True Jar Jar Fan posted:

No movie has ever made money.

Warner Bros account(ant) spotted.

Lemon posted:

Look forward to more of that in the upcoming Pirates of the Caribbean movie.

Femur posted:

rethinking this, Butler was the one collecting treasures to beat his dad? Was he suppose to be the hero?

He felt like his father didn't give him the recognition he deserved and favored the other gods. His father explains that it was all a test to see if his son was able to take over his job as the defender of the earth. Queue Butler throwing a tantrum, killing his father and being perfectly fine with everything being destroyed.

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 10:27 on Feb 21, 2017

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Put me down for a fan of Nice Guys, too. I only watched the first trailer and enjoyed it very much. Good performances, charming design and very, very funny.

It's very much a Shane Black Movie, but I don't fault it for that - I like that vibe a lot.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Mierenneuker posted:

Either way, he was a huge dick about it so he could really never been the hero.
Counterpoint: 24 James Bond movies.

Dr. MonkeyThunder
Sep 21, 2005

All is, if i have grace to use it so...

The Saddest Rhino posted:

he was doing well as charming Scottish rogue in the second tomb raider movie but then Jolie killed him (tearfully) , so

At least he was better than Daniel Craig

If they ever decide to make Bond movies fun again Gerard Butler could be an interesting choice.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Dr. MonkeyThunder posted:

If they ever decide to make Bond movies fun again Gerard Butler could be an interesting choice.

A Scottish guy playing Bond, yeah right.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

feedmyleg posted:

Every morning I wake up hoping another movie studios emails were hacked just so they could bring as much joy into my life as Sony's did.
If someone made a movie about it, it would be the first movie about Hollywood to not get an Oscar nomination.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Dr. MonkeyThunder posted:

Gerard Butler is the least interesting choice in anything.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

Alhazred posted:

Except for Charlie, zz, snork, Hunn zzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Alhazred posted:

He was a lot of fun in the How to Train Your Dragon movies.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

K. Waste posted:

Two funny things from Suicide Squad that immediately pop to mind:

- When Rick Flagg just shrugs after he witnesses his boss murder a room full of computer jokeys

- The running gag where helicopters keep getting shot down, but nobody important gets killed or even wounded

Wait what. Waller just kills a room full of nerds

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Shageletic posted:

Wait what. Waller just kills a room full of nerds

Yup, she's stone loving cold in the pic. She's the real villain, she just happens to get away.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Samuel Clemens posted:

I can't believe we had such a long discussion about recent schlock without anyone bringing up Pan or Jupiter Ascending.

Jupitor Ascending is the only movie mentioned that merit a retrospective after a few years. It has the type of all out sincere type of detailed lunacy that the best type of beloved cult movies tend to have (from Robot Jox to I don't know, Near Dark or something). The other movies mentioned (Suicide Squad, Pan, etc) are crass commercial failures with nothing interesting to exhume.

MacheteZombie posted:

Yup, she's stone loving cold in the pic. She's the real villain, she just happens to get away.

Any reason given, other than just full blown jock rage?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Shageletic posted:

Jupitor Ascending is the only movie mentioned that merit a retrospective after a few years. It has the type of all out sincere type of detailed lunacy that the best type of beloved cult movies tend to have (from Robot Jox to I don't know, Near Dark or something). The other movies mentioned (Suicide Squad, Pan, etc) are crass commercial failures with nothing interesting to exhume.

They had information they weren't at the right level to know. So she just capped them. Government in action :911:

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Shageletic posted:

I'll spoiler it just in case, so basically the mission the crew is on is revealed to be a mission to save Waller after Enchantress gets loose. Once the team arrives to rescue her she kills all the agents in their safe base (mostly computer jockeys) since everything they do is super classified and they're expendable in her eyes.

It kind of comes out of nowhere and was pretty cool because of that surprise. She's just talking to Flagg and Deadshot (who is rightfully pissed about the mission at this point), and then blam!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Shageletic posted:

The other movies mentioned (Suicide Squad, Pan, etc) are crass commercial failures with nothing interesting to exhume.

I'm curious how you know that Suicide Squad has nothing interesting to exhume but don't know what happens in the movie.

• Locked thread