Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home
Imagine if the MST3K comics do Fletcher Hanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
I own one funko and it is the Army of Darkness version of Ash.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
So, I enjoyed The Wild Storm #1, but I doubt I'm going to continue reading it because just lol at Ellis doing a 24 issue series. It'll be nice reading the whole thing in the mid-20's.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

3020 is a long way off

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Isn't the 24 number four titles with different authors split over two years, so he really only has to write six?

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Hmmm. Black Widow needs a new rival so I'm thinking the North Korean Queen of Assassins deserves a shot. Anyone who's seen the news this week knows she's an expert ambusher and already has a costume that fits classic comic requirements - simple to draw and oh-so-memorable.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Teenage Fansub posted:

Isn't the 24 number four titles with different authors split over two years, so he really only has to write six?

Karnak was only six.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Sentinel Red posted:

Hmmm. Black Widow needs a new rival so I'm thinking the North Korean Queen of Assassins deserves a shot. Anyone who's seen the news this week knows she's an expert ambusher and already has a costume that fits classic comic requirements - simple to draw and oh-so-memorable.

Isn't her story that she thought she was paid to play pranks on men for a hidden camera prank show?

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Teenage Fansub posted:

I didn't know that. We may see the end of his section by next year, then!

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Decius posted:

Isn't her story that she thought she was paid to play pranks on men for a hidden camera prank show?

So clearly her new rival is Arcade using a slightly different gimmick.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
I finally got the chance to actually read The Unfunnies.

It isn't good in the slightest and yet it's still better at being shock shlock than a lot of other stuff I read. Like you take it in comparison to something like Bomb Queen, which stretches the same joke-say the word KKK over and over again, show fat old tits over and over again, etc.-and like, the Unfunnies actually sets up jokes. Bad jokes that aren't really funny, but still. There's a modicum of effort on Mark Millar's part and you got to give him that.

Really I just want to bitch about Bomb Queen because I hate it and it's stupid dumb bullshit. IDK why I hate it so much more than anything else in a similar category, but I just do.

KaosMachina
Oct 9, 2012

There's nothing special about me.

WickedHate posted:

I finally got the chance to actually read The Unfunnies.

It isn't good in the slightest and yet it's still better at being shock shlock than a lot of other stuff I read. Like you take it in comparison to something like Bomb Queen, which stretches the same joke-say the word KKK over and over again, show fat old tits over and over again, etc.-and like, the Unfunnies actually sets up jokes. Bad jokes that aren't really funny, but still. There's a modicum of effort on Mark Millar's part and you got to give him that.

Really I just want to bitch about Bomb Queen because I hate it and it's stupid dumb bullshit. IDK why I hate it so much more than anything else in a similar category, but I just do.

I read bomb queen once. It felt like some edgy teenager's mary sue character. The fact that it was set in some future with a version of one of the old Image heroes as the other person and she managed to literally kill everything for no reason other than 'it's fun for me' and then survive ANYWAY, somehow... It's just dumb on a level that doesn't even manage to go all the way over to 'dumb enough to be interesting'.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Right? Like be dumb or offensive or even both, but do it right for Christ's sake.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Just a reminder. Read good comics not bad.

Here is a list of good comics, as judged by me - a good comic reading guy

Daytripper
Blankets
Maus
Persepolis
Sandman
Watchmen
Moore's Swamp Thing
Top Ten
Y: The Last Man
Saga
Fun Home
Habibi
March
Flex Mentallo
Asterios Polyp
Two Brothers
Contract with God
Transmetropolitan
Tons of others I can't think of now

As you will see there are no bad comics on that list so you should read those instead of bad comics.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

You forgot Newspaper Spider-man.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Lurdiak posted:

You forgot Newspaper Spider-man.

Actually you will notice that outside of Moore's Swamp Thing I avoided superhero stuff, which is on a different list of good comics (aptly titled good superhero comics list).

Therefore my above list is still valid.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
There's nothing super or heroic about Newspaper Spider-Man.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Requesting list of good comics in which Hal gets beaten up

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Roth posted:

Requesting list of good comics in which Hal gets beaten up

The first few issues of Green Lantern during Nu52 reboot then. He gets emotionally beaten up by Sinestro trolling him.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Good avatar for the post.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

WickedHate posted:

There's nothing super or heroic about Newspaper Spider-Man.

Mods ban this filth.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Endless Mike posted:

Mods ban this filth.

Like I haven't been tempted.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
I feel like there's a critical level of lovely treatment by a mod where I'll eventually resort to mod sass, but I know that would just be a losing gambit.

Endless Mike posted:

Mods ban this filth.

I was making fun of Newspaper Peter Parker, not Newspaper Spider-Man the strip.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

He is definitely a hero.

In case you're wondering, yes that is Spider-man trying to sneak onto a plane without a passport after having bought a ticket as Peter Parker.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

I know it probably doesn't exist, but is there an app or something that sends Google calendar notifications when books I'm interested in are coming out? I've managed to consolidate literally every other organizer I use into Google calendar except for Comixology's pulllist thing and it kind of ticks me off.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

I can't believe President Obama prefers John Walker.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

fadam posted:

I know it probably doesn't exist, but is there an app or something that sends Google calendar notifications when books I'm interested in are coming out? I've managed to consolidate literally every other organizer I use into Google calendar except for Comixology's pulllist thing and it kind of ticks me off.

Couldn't you set your own alerts for each wednesday?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Cross posting from my shop thread

Rhyno posted:

In shop news, the boss crunched the numbers today and the store is up 25% for comics, trades and toys overall. Marvel sales are down 30% while DC sales are up 100%.

100%. DC has doubled in sales for us. And that's not just the first few Rebirth issues spike, that is where sales have settled after 6 months of Rebirth.

David Gabriel claims the Marvel decline is DC's fault, that retailers under ordered Marvel books so they could throw money at returnable DC books. These trends are being echoed all over the retail industry. DC's formula is working while Marvel's has faltered. Oh and what's this? Another event starting up shortly. LoL.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Personally the reason I buy DC over Marvel has more to do with price than anything else.
Also good on DC I guess.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I have no idea if this applies to people other than me, but I'm not buying Marvel books because I'm using Marvel Unlimited. I'm also an idiot who still pays for it monthly despite having it for over a year, but I read 2-3 trades worth of material a month, so it's still a bargain.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

fadam posted:

Couldn't you just subscribe to the books you want? I don't see the need for a reminder in that case.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Yeah, I subscribe to Unlimited and that's my comic book buying outside of trades I want to put on a shelf. I'd rather sit on the coach when I have an hour or two and plow through 30 comics of story arc, even if they're old and poorly collected, than read an ongoing for ten minutes a month.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Unlimited for me too.

If dc did something like it I would switch too.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

The comics themselves are ridiculously better since Rebirth, go figure!

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

X-O posted:

Couldn't you just subscribe to the books you want? I don't see the need for a reminder in that case.

I'm still sore about not being able to subscribe to the physical books I like.

WickedHate posted:

I can't believe President Obama prefers John Walker.

Ayyyy!

Agent_grey
Jan 8, 2007

Scrub-a-Dub-Dub!
Ive been addicted to just scrolling through twitter lately, rarely posting just devouring discussings and reactions people have in real time. Then I discovered I was blocked by Mark Waid at some point and no idea why. If I posted anything to offend him I cant see it or remember it.

Now that sucks because having a favourite writer digitally go 'nope' is a downer but I'm not posting to get into twitter woes.
Instead it made me realise I watch rather than doing so much that I can barely remember ever interacting.

And I do that here too, I scroll and read the theads so much and enjoy the dicussions but often wont reply half out of it feeling like theres no way I could add to the conversation or instead just waiting for everyone else to post more.

So I plan to post more but want to ask, outside of not being a lovely person what do you all feel makes a good poster?

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Agent_grey posted:

So I plan to post more but want to ask, outside of not being a lovely person what do you all feel makes a good poster?

Easy, just follow my lead!

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Agent_grey posted:

Ive been addicted to just scrolling through twitter lately, rarely posting just devouring discussings and reactions people have in real time. Then I discovered I was blocked by Mark Waid at some point and no idea why. If I posted anything to offend him I cant see it or remember it.

Now that sucks because having a favourite writer digitally go 'nope' is a downer but I'm not posting to get into twitter woes.
Instead it made me realise I watch rather than doing so much that I can barely remember ever interacting.

And I do that here too, I scroll and read the theads so much and enjoy the dicussions but often wont reply half out of it feeling like theres no way I could add to the conversation or instead just waiting for everyone else to post more.

:justpost:

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Just give your opinion about comics and stuff and don't be a dick about it, maybe make some jokes if you notice a good opening.

BSS doesn't have enough people posting in it for us to be too picky (we let WickedHate keep posting for God's sake) so just be cool and it's fine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Squirt is a good soda pop.
Not as good as cherry Pepsi but it is good.

• Locked thread