Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

z0glin Warchief
May 16, 2007

Kuroyama posted:

It's a play on the Grand Old Party, or GOP, an alternate name for the Republican party in American politics.

I think it's probably a touch added by the translators. Could anyone confirm?

I haven't read the series but a quick googling suggests the term in the Japanese is otona tou 大人党, lit. "Adult [Political] Party". The author may have given it an English reading or something at some point though, that would be very shounen manga-y.

Either way, seems like a pretty good translation, especially since most of the big Japanese political parties go by three letter initials in English: LDP, DPJ, JCP, NIK, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Compendium posted:

Just read U19. It's... Something alright.

I haven't really read much straight up shonen (mostly a SOL, josei/shoujo, fantasy, and/or comedy manga reader these days), so now that most of the major Jump series are done, it's really interesting to see what they're trying to fill the void up with and I find it fascinating how these premises try to one up each other in batshit or normalsauce.

All the good new shonen stuff doesn't run in Jump.

Astra: Lost In Space is fantastic and would be perfect for Jump but It's far safer being in Jump SQ.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Yeah main jump seems to inundate itself with trash that just gets thrown out after about ten chapters.
Or ok stuff that tanks in ratings.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Yeah main jump seems to inundate itself with trash that just gets thrown out after about ten chapters.
Or ok stuff that tanks in ratings.

Yeah. Honestly it's just safer to buy the GNs and even that's a losing prospect if something goes completely tits up like HxH or Bleach.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
a lot of series that are decent should be in another magazine but they're in jump because its the big one and die as a result

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Quite how it's kept it's reputation as the big one, given it's prone to author burnout (World Trigger, Bleach, HxH, Oda's had a few IIRC) and the series churn that frankly seems to run on the whims of a capricious god (Straighten Up had no business being ended this quickly, frankly, Food Wars shat it's bed in half with the two month long Hayama fight), is beyond me.

It sort of sums up everything that they were trying to sell up the fact they had six new series in succession in the Colour Page of We just Don't Learn.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 10:21 on Feb 20, 2017

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!

ConanThe3rd posted:

Quite how it's kept it's reputation as the big one, given it's prone to author burnout (World Trigger, Bleach, HxH, Oda's had a few IIRC) and the series churn, is beyond me.

Reputation? It sells the most, so it's the big one, I guess?

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

darkgray posted:

Reputation? It sells the most, so it's the big one, I guess?

Reputation as a good publication, not as what makes the most money.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Cultural inertia I guess? It's still at the end of the day a magazine (can it even be called that? Isn't it phonebook-sized or something in print?) for children. Or at least parents who buy it for their children to shut them up. :v:

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP

ConanThe3rd posted:

Quite how it's kept it's reputation as the big one, given it's prone to author burnout (World Trigger, Bleach, HxH, Oda's had a few IIRC)

I wouldn't say that World Trigger is the result of author burnout, but rather Ashihara is a person made of tissue paper.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Togashi didn't burnout he crippled himself.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

While pretty much all manga magazines have "making money" as a primary interest, with Jump it takes that to an extreme - they're looking specifically for stuff that will become super marketable and known throughout Japan. So while other manga magazines might just need titles that people will be willing to read, Jump needs stuff that appeals to so many people that it has the potential to become some major, long-running enterprise unto itself with video games, action figures, etc.

(This may just apply to the battle and romcom titles, since WSJ seems to have a certain number of slots for different genres and most of the stuff we've been reading lately has been trying to fill the "battle" genre.)

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
On a brighter note Prince Poro's Diary was miles better and pretty great stuff all said. One Punch Man by way of a really adorable protag.

I said the same of Stealth Symphony so I fully expect for this comic to eat poo poo.

Also, Tsun Godzilla is genius.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Feb 20, 2017

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
World Trigger is probably a result of the dude not being able to tell the difference between the 50 visually similar characters he introduced. If he had Kubo's...unique fashion sense he could put them all in loud outfits and it'd be easier.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Punkin Spunkin posted:

World Trigger is probably a result of the dude not being able to tell the difference between the 50 visually similar characters he introduced. If he had Kubo's...unique fashion sense he could put them all in loud outfits and it'd be easier.

I dunno, after reading the whole thing I was able to tell apart most of the main named characters. I mean, they look kinda samey, but not so much that I can't tell them apart.

I hope World Trigger starts again, because I actually like it a lot. Its world-building is pretty weak, but it has some great fights and likable character, which are the main things I'm looking for in shounen battle manga.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

psyren could have been a pretty good seinen battle manga imo

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Jose posted:

psyren could have been a pretty good seinen battle manga imo

I liked Psyren a lot, even though I seem to remember its ending being a little underwhelming. The fights/powers in it were pretty cool and fun.

Sarcophallus
Jun 12, 2011

by Lowtax

Ytlaya posted:

I liked Psyren a lot, even though I seem to remember its ending being a little underwhelming. The fights/powers in it were pretty cool and fun.

It was cancelled, so yeah its ending sucked.

I thought it was interesting enough to read, but it didn't really try to push any boundaries or try interesting things.

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP

Ytlaya posted:

I dunno, after reading the whole thing I was able to tell apart most of the main named characters. I mean, they look kinda samey, but not so much that I can't tell them apart.

I hope World Trigger starts again, because I actually like it a lot. Its world-building is pretty weak, but it has some great fights and likable character, which are the main things I'm looking for in shounen battle manga.

It's supposed to come back once the author heals up from his injuries, but there's no word as to when that'll be yet.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Ytlaya posted:

it was generic but i liked it

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!
I like We Never Learn but...where the hell could it possibly go?

Unless some sort of real conflict gets introduced next chapter I think it's probably going to be dropped.

It's like really carefully toeing the line between going full shoujo and going Food Wars style "aptitude powers" shonen.

It'd be fine as just some sorta slice of life but that's not really Jump's wheelhouse.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Crain posted:

Unless some sort of real conflict gets introduced next chapter I think it's probably going to be dropped.

It's like really carefully toeing the line between going full shoujo and going Food Wars style "aptitude powers" shonen.

It'd be fine as just some sorta slice of life but that's not really Jump's wheelhouse.

I'm assuming by "shoujo" you meant romance, because that's definitely a pretty standard shounen romcom. Though I'm not sure why Jump is trying to add another one since it seems like that Yuuragi-sou no Yuuna-san manga was going to take the place of Nisekoi. Maybe they just have room for more than one series of that genre.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Kuroyama posted:

It's supposed to come back once the author heals up from his injuries, but there's no word as to when that'll be yet.
The author has a spine condition in his neck area that's degenerative and doesn't get better typically. World Trigger is on HxH levels of hiatus.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Cant imagine being bent over a drawing board/wacom for weeks on end is any good for that.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Ytlaya posted:

I'm assuming by "shoujo" you meant romance, because that's definitely a pretty standard shounen romcom.

Ok yeah, pretty much.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
while jump would likely prefer to have the perfect proportion of genres at all times, but they aren't gonna turn away good stuff while they are scrambling to replace their lineup. all those subpar fighting manga that got canned only got a chance because they've lost all of their big fighting manga except for one piece. for example, i think kimetsu no yaiba is very charming, but a few years ago it would have gotten the psyren treatment at best. with more competition, there is no way such a low key slow starter would have been given so much time.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

while jump would likely prefer to have the perfect proportion of genres at all times, but they aren't gonna turn away good stuff while they are scrambling to replace their lineup. all those subpar fighting manga that got canned only got a chance because they've lost all of their big fighting manga except for one piece. for example, i think kimetsu no yaiba is very charming, but a few years ago it would have gotten the psyren treatment at best. with more competition, there is no way such a low key slow starter would have been given so much time.

I wonder how much the internet and self-publishing has had an effect on this as well.

When Naruto, One Piece, or even going way back to Dragon Ball and HxH started up your only option was pretty much going for a magazine run. Sure you could do small runs at comiket or other comic meets, but you'd have minuscule circulation.

Now you have series like OPM that started out purely online and with terrible art that survived on web traffic. Now ONE is a premiere mangaka with two big, popular series.

Places like Jump now have even more options for content and can even gauge popularity ahead of time if an author already has a following due to a web comic or something.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Fabricated posted:

The author has a spine condition in his neck area that's degenerative and doesn't get better typically. World Trigger is on HxH levels of hiatus.

how do you or anyone else know this?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
it isn't like they kept it secret.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Jose posted:

If I recall Ashihara himself said as much. Pretty bad Spondylosis in his neck.

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP

Jose posted:

ANN had an article about the hiatus. It also mentions that he'd gone in for treatment in 2014, and some of his previous breaks.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

Crain posted:

It does feel a bit directionless even by Shonen Romcom standards, sure. I don't dislike it but there's nothing going on to make me keep reading it either.

OTOH, most Shonen Romcoms have some unbelievably terrible plot hook that just drags the story down like Nisekoi's secret promise girl magic keychain BS, or Love Hina's secret promise girl...secret...promise...thing so it could always be worse.

U-19 is just aggressively bad, but Demon Prince Diary is charmingly goofy in the first chapter at least.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

What do you mean by "the psyren treatment"? Didn't Psyren run for at least several years?

Crain posted:

I wonder how much the internet and self-publishing has had an effect on this as well.

When Naruto, One Piece, or even going way back to Dragon Ball and HxH started up your only option was pretty much going for a magazine run. Sure you could do small runs at comiket or other comic meets, but you'd have minuscule circulation.

Now you have series like OPM that started out purely online and with terrible art that survived on web traffic. Now ONE is a premiere mangaka with two big, popular series.

Places like Jump now have even more options for content and can even gauge popularity ahead of time if an author already has a following due to a web comic or something.

Keep in mind there are a whole bunch of magazines that carry various different types of manga; WSJ is hardly the only option. I think that online manga are still a very small portion of the market. I'm also not really sure if the website that carries Helck should really be considered significantly different from regular print magazines, since it seems basically the same as a print magazine minus the "print" part (i.e. I don't think it involves self-publishing and is instead just a regular magazine except online).

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP

madmac posted:

It does feel a bit directionless even by Shonen Romcom standards, sure. I don't dislike it but there's nothing going on to make me keep reading it either.

OTOH, most Shonen Romcoms have some unbelievably terrible plot hook that just drags the story down like Nisekoi's secret promise girl magic keychain BS, or Love Hina's secret promise girl...secret...promise...thing so it could always be worse.

U-19 is just aggressively bad, but Demon Prince Diary is charmingly goofy in the first chapter at least.

We Never Learn needs to introduce some new characters pronto, and settle in as a shonen sitcom.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Ytlaya posted:

I'm assuming by "shoujo" you meant romance, because that's definitely a pretty standard shounen romcom. Though I'm not sure why Jump is trying to add another one since it seems like that Yuuragi-sou no Yuuna-san manga was going to take the place of Nisekoi. Maybe they just have room for more than one series of that genre.

Yuuragi-sou no Yuuna fills the ecchi niche, while We Never Learn is probably more aligned with Nisekoi, especially since the mangaka did a Nisekoi spinoff for a while.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

Ytlaya posted:

What do you mean by "the psyren treatment"? Didn't Psyren run for at least several years?

Keep in mind there are a whole bunch of magazines that carry various different types of manga; WSJ is hardly the only option. I think that online manga are still a very small portion of the market. I'm also not really sure if the website that carries Helck should really be considered significantly different from regular print magazines, since it seems basically the same as a print magazine minus the "print" part (i.e. I don't think it involves self-publishing and is instead just a regular magazine except online).

Yeah, I'm really unsure what the reception for western style "webcomics" is like over there. Like here so many got made and are still being made that the market has gone beyond saturated.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Allarion posted:

Yuuragi-sou no Yuuna fills the ecchi niche, while We Never Learn is probably more aligned with Nisekoi, especially since the mangaka did a Nisekoi spinoff for a while.

Yuuragi is hilariously shameless. Soma can get bad with the fanservice, drat, this ones on another level. I had no idea Yuuragi was even a thing until I got to Japan and flipped through a new Jump and there were just pages and spreads of blatant tits and rear end. Does anyone actually read it and know if the story/characters or any good, or is it just there to show off its, uh, art assets?

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I tried reading a chapter cause I noticed it was constantly uploaded alongside Shounen Jump stuff, and I couldn't find any plot except vast plots of land affixed atop people's chests.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

Yuuragi is hilariously shameless. Soma can get bad with the fanservice, drat, this ones on another level. I had no idea Yuuragi was even a thing until I got to Japan and flipped through a new Jump and there were just pages and spreads of blatant tits and rear end. Does anyone actually read it and know if the story/characters or any good, or is it just there to show off its, uh, art assets?

I looked through some random chapters, and it seems like every chapter just comes up with some excuse to show some T&A.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Ytlaya posted:

I looked through some random chapters, and it seems like every chapter just comes up with some excuse to show some T&A.

No wonder it's still running.

Really Jump should just rerun Kurohime. I mean that unironically.