Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Disgruntled (IT) Employee
I'm going to go suggest something awful. Provide a couple automatic skill training builds for your particular character, then explain them. They are not going to be optimal, but 'good enough' for you to focus on tactics. * means toggle the skill so it's 'focused'. There is a fine art to manually training your skills, but I've sometimes got into the trap of planning out my character so much I just Tab to my death.

Build 1: Two-handed
Fighting*, Polearms, Throwing*, Armor, Dodging

Build 2: One-Handed
Fighting*, Throwing*, Shields*, Armor, Dodging, Evocations

You've hit mindelay, so training your weapon skill is of low importance, especially compared to fighting. Past the 'break point' it still provides you with damage, accuracy, a buffer to draining attacks, and the ability to use a bardiche if you find your halberd bumps off monster AC too often, or get a really good one. Troglodytes have little to do other than hit things in the face, so it doesn't hurt to excel at it, especially as the skill costs spike rapidly in the twenties. Feel free to shift the focus from Fighting to Polearms if you find a compelling and slower two-hander, or the skill has gotten so high that training has slowed down (you can toggle the skill screen to show relative costs).

A lot of ranged skills will come in handy for a minotaur, and they even have better aptitudes. I'm sticking with throwing because it works equally well for both builds. 12 or 16 skill to get those tomahawks and javelins to mindelay, then turn it off unless you have plenty of spare experience.

Leave armor and dodging on because as long as you have a focus elsewhere it'll more or less take care of itself.

Evocations works its way into the second build because you don't need 26 polearm skills for anything shield-related and have the spare EXP to get better at zapping things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

apple
May 18, 2003

Jose in the club wearing orange suspenders
What type of backgrounds/gods work for vampires? I know they can be good enchanters and they're really good with hexes but their conjurations apt is pretty horrible. I was thinking of VpEn of dithmenos but I don't know how to branch out into mid/late game (specially Depths/Zot)

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

That's not how the Triangle Attack works...
VpEE is my favorite build. Pretend you're following Maknleb by petrifying and stabbing everything in Lair while bloodless, and have stone arrow/LRD to kill high MR monsters!!!

Kiku is pretty much the premier Vp god since you get everything a vampire could ever want.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

LordSloth posted:

Shoals is a pretty decent source of javelins

You're a funny, funny man

apple
May 18, 2003

Can Of Worms posted:

VpEE is my favorite build. Pretend you're following Maknleb by petrifying and stabbing everything in Lair while bloodless, and have stone arrow/LRD to kill high MR monsters!!!

Kiku is pretty much the premier Vp god since you get everything a vampire could ever want.

Is it just the corpse delivery or is it also the necromancy books? I tried a few Vp games and I had no problems keeping enough blood potions on myself at least.

I might try VpEE^Kiku though, apts for earth at 0 and necromancy at 1 sound pretty doable.

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

how am i supposed to deal with like 3 entropy weavers and a huge ant nest on lair:4, that's insane. and all 3 of the downstairs are clustered just south of the ant nest so i can't really escape to continue progressing

and then when i managed to sneak down the stairs, there was yet another entropy weaver :argh:

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

someone awful. posted:

how am i supposed to deal with like 3 entropy weavers and a huge ant nest on lair:4, that's insane. and all 3 of the downstairs are clustered just south of the ant nest so i can't really escape to continue progressing

and then when i managed to sneak down the stairs, there was yet another entropy weaver :argh:
Have fun stairdancing like it's Tomb 3, imo.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time
I pretty much don't ever, ever turn on more than 1 skill. When I first started crawl I just left skills on, and focusing them one at a time was a massive increase in my ability to actually beat the game.

By the way, do Councilgod special attacks trigger cleaving on axes? If not, I think long blades would probably be a good choice, since you can jump around and still get ripostes?

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Crimson Harvest posted:

Hello Crawl thread I have begun playing Crawl again but for real this time. Just now I got my very first rune ever, from the spider cave. Please look at my character and tell me what I ought to be doing with skills, and where to go next

http://crawl.akrasiac.org/rawdata/Harvest/Harvest.txt

I don't have a source of resist corrosion, but I can check the shops to see if one is for sale.

Incase you don't know, you can Ctrl+f to search for stuff. You could search for "rCorr" and it will pull up a list (if any) of items that you have found anywhere in the dungeon with resist corrosion. If it's in a shop it will also list its price. It is super awesome for looking for resists like rF+, MR+, etc, god "gift" or whatever the hell other crap you can think of.

e: you can even search for a spell's name and it will point you to any book that contains it.

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

someone awful. posted:

Use a potion of invisi- Oh wait entropy weavers were flavoured as formicids for a week so now they have sInv forever, you get to eat poo poo.

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!

LordSloth posted:

I'm going to go suggest something awful. Provide a couple automatic skill training builds for your particular character, then explain them. They are not going to be optimal, but 'good enough' for you to focus on tactics. * means toggle the skill so it's 'focused'. There is a fine art to manually training your skills, but I've sometimes got into the trap of planning out my character so much I just Tab to my death.

Build 1: Two-handed
Fighting*, Polearms, Throwing*, Armor, Dodging

Build 2: One-Handed
Fighting*, Throwing*, Shields*, Armor, Dodging, Evocations

You've hit mindelay, so training your weapon skill is of low importance, especially compared to fighting. Past the 'break point' it still provides you with damage, accuracy, a buffer to draining attacks, and the ability to use a bardiche if you find your halberd bumps off monster AC too often, or get a really good one. Troglodytes have little to do other than hit things in the face, so it doesn't hurt to excel at it, especially as the skill costs spike rapidly in the twenties. Feel free to shift the focus from Fighting to Polearms if you find a compelling and slower two-hander, or the skill has gotten so high that training has slowed down (you can toggle the skill screen to show relative costs).

A lot of ranged skills will come in handy for a minotaur, and they even have better aptitudes. I'm sticking with throwing because it works equally well for both builds. 12 or 16 skill to get those tomahawks and javelins to mindelay, then turn it off unless you have plenty of spare experience.

Leave armor and dodging on because as long as you have a focus elsewhere it'll more or less take care of itself.

Evocations works its way into the second build because you don't need 26 polearm skills for anything shield-related and have the spare EXP to get better at zapping things.

I'll try out this for the one handed, see how I do.

I was able to get the Shoals rune pretty easily, and was pretty surprised by the mechanics of both sirens and satyrs. Picked up a ring of resist corrosion and tested out the slime pits but that place is mega scary. Is it easier than the elven vaults?

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

I pretty much don't ever, ever turn on more than 1 skill. When I first started crawl I just left skills on, and focusing them one at a time was a massive increase in my ability to actually beat the game.

By the way, do Councilgod special attacks trigger cleaving on axes? If not, I think long blades would probably be a good choice, since you can jump around and still get ripostes?

Only lunges cleave, or else things would get batshit with multiple cleaves per whirlwind. I'm pretty sure you can still whirlwind + lunge, flurry an adjacent enemy and the lunge target and end up attacking someone four times, though.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Entropy weavers in Lair are legit bullshit. I dunno who thought putting them in ant vaults was a good idea but that change needs to be reverted. Its straight up unfair.

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

Royal Jelly suddenly ruined my poo poo when it was down to 'almost dead'. Of course it was my own fault for holding onto a -tele weapon and trying to blink away.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Crimson Harvest posted:

Royal Jelly suddenly ruined my poo poo when it was down to 'almost dead'. Of course it was my own fault for holding onto a -tele weapon and trying to blink away.

<Sequell> almost dead[1/3]: Still entirely capable of obliterating you.

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

apple posted:

Is it just the corpse delivery or is it also the necromancy books? I tried a few Vp games and I had no problems keeping enough blood potions on myself at least.

Re-implement pizza, add 1/128 chance for Kiku corpse delivery to give pizza instead. "Sorry, wrong order!"

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

That's not how the Triangle Attack works...

apple posted:

I might try VpEE^Kiku though, apts for earth at 0 and necromancy at 1 sound pretty doable.
Corpse delivery and Pain brand is good enough on its own, if Kiku gifts one of Animate Dead/Death Channel/Simulacrum you're basically laughing your way to the orb.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Eela6 posted:

Re-implement pizza, add 1/128 chance for Kiku corpse delivery to give pizza instead. "Sorry, wrong order!"

This will fit well with the ninja turtle race I'm developing.

apple
May 18, 2003

Can Of Worms posted:

Corpse delivery and Pain brand is good enough on its own, if Kiku gifts one of Animate Dead/Death Channel/Simulacrum you're basically laughing your way to the orb.

That's good to know! I also noticed something interesting from Kiku: no invocation scaling on abilities. -1 on invocations isn't terrible but it feels like I'm spreading myself thin as it is.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

apple posted:

That's good to know! I also noticed something interesting from Kiku: no invocation scaling on abilities. -1 on invocations isn't terrible but it feels like I'm spreading myself thin as it is.

Kiku uses Necromancy instead everywhere it's relevant, IIRC.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
the secret to shields(and large shields) is that you do not actually need to get 15/25 skill for them to be good, as long as you are a spellcaster. the penalties for shields are fairly minimal with just a bit of skill(even with no skill they are worth using on a 1H character), and at 15+ skill the penalties for large shields are also fairly small compared to the benefit(again, if you are not casting spells).

shields as items are really good, shields as a skill is pretty bad.

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

someone awful. posted:

If you've got some pretty good evocations, a resistible wand can help. They have exactly as much MR as a hydra, so don't even give it a shot if you've barely touched the skill. They also can't see invisible, so give that potion you'd been saving for Ghost Moths and Oklobs a shot.

Crimson Harvest: Just in case I'll cite the relevant learndb entries for the branch order

quote:

1. Lair -> D:12 -> Orc -> D:15 -> S:3 -> maybe other S:3 -> get rune -> Vaults:4 -> maybe get second rune -> Depths:5 -> get three runes -> Zot
2. Out of date entry, not gonna bother sharing it simply to confuse things.
3. Do the closest level that you can handle. Use your brain.

My own attempt to write up a branch guide just about now was starting to ramble, I could try to write one up later if there's an interest. There are a few points I'll salvage, though.
  • Your first rune and your first priority is generally going to be the Snake, Swamp, Spider, or Shoals rune. This is necessary to unlock the Vaults branch, but doesn't achieve anything else for you, so if things are too hard feel free to explore elsewhere. Slime is generally something you won't visit at all in a three rune game until you've got a few ascensions under your belt. Despite also starting with S it is an exceptionally fast way to die.
  • Your second rune is going to come from the other remaining non-slime branch, but it is not going to be your priority. Your priority at this point is gaining levels, random floor loot, and clearing the Orcish Mines for gold, shops, and maybe armor and weapons ripped off the cold dead orcish bodies. With your average set of gear, you're likely served best by either postponing it till much later or just doing the first three floors. Uniques and player ghosts are particularly likely to cause you to bail and come back later. The second rune on its own doesn't do much for you, and the rune vaults are generally pretty sparse on loot.
  • Once you've completely cleared out the Orcish Mines, you'll generally be clearing down to D:15 and then getting your second rune or poking your head into the Vaults(1-4 only) and Crypts (all of it, unless Curse Skulls ruin your day), and only rarely the Elven Halls or Depths.
  • Elven Halls is a mixed bag, but one Troglodytes are pretty well suited to handle before their third rune or even earlier, but put it off as long as you're comfortable.
  • Your third rune is should be Vaults, Abyss (normally entered through the depths), or Slime in roughly that order of preference. If you're not comfortable going for that third rune (and you probably won't be), then venture into the Depths or the Elven Halls. As a Troglodyte, Trog's Hand and an anti-magic weapon will save you from a lot of elven grief, but the vault on elf:3 can be overwhelmingly nasty. Elf:1&2 are great ways to rebuild piety if you called Brothers in Arms one too many times, while the only reason to venture into Elf:3 is an overwhelming desire for loot.

There are a lot more caveats and depth I could go on about, but that should tide you over until you've gotten a few 2+ rune splats under your belt.

LordSloth fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Feb 21, 2017

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

entropy weavers can SInv though, it's really annoying. They can sinv, are fast, corrode, and have multiple attacks, and are way too hard for something i ran into 3 of on lair:4

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
W E L P

quote:

1150295 InternetKraken the Grand Scion (level 27, 0/195 HPs)
Began as a High Elf Summoner on Feb 13, 2017.
Was a High Priest of Hepliaklqana.
Killed from afar by a hellion (33 damage)
... with damnation
... created by the effects of Hell
... on level 7 of Gehenna on Feb 21, 2017.
The game lasted 06:56:24 (91916 turns).

This is another game I should of just bailed on extended but bad RNG makes me stubborn and I try to provwe I'm good enough to beat it. Well I wasn't. I had 13 runes, just needed to do Ghenna and Tartarus. The reason I hadn't done Tar is because I couldn't get rN+++. The game didn't spawn a single ring of life protection and only one artifact ring with rN+. Come the gently caress on. I even tried hunting down the pearl dragon in Pan to get its hide.

Might not of died if I hadn't accidentally gone down a shaft on Geh:6 because I lost track of the floors. Or if Hell Effects hadn't spawned a brimstone fiend and hellion right on top of me. Or if I didn't have blurry vision so I could read a scroll of blinking to escape. Thanks malmutate!

I don't even know what to play now.

LordSloth posted:

They also can't see invisible

Somewhere, Darok's eyebrow begins twitching in rage.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Internet Kraken posted:

I don't even know what to play now.

Play a gargoyle and become unstoppable.

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
Ieoh Jian is really fun and my attempts at TrMo with it have been a blast but I keep getting way too confident and killed by hydras.

apple
May 18, 2003

someone awful. posted:

entropy weavers can SInv though, it's really annoying. They can sinv, are fast, corrode, and have multiple attacks, and are way too hard for something i ran into 3 of on lair:4

Yeah, I think all of those combined are a little too much for Lair unless it's maybe a branch end. I actually died to one earlier because I forgot to check their speed figuring "they have to be standard speed considering how nasty they are"

Amgard
Dec 28, 2006

Got 15-Rune with Ieoh Jian Council.

So uh... this god is really really strong. Whirlwind+Wall Jump+Lash means you have nearly perfect positioning. More than once did I wall jump off irregular walls to kick across maps super fast and avoid certain death.

Stabbing Antaeus to death in record time and blowing up Royal Jelly in a single turn were hilarious. Getting Fencer Gloves and being Minotaur meant I was blending enemies non-stop without even needing to blow Clouds.

IJC is a whole new way to play melee in this game. I love it

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

I want to share this picture I found, while looking through frog pictures while discussing Barachians. I hope you enjoy it.

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

Interesting changes to transmuter damage in trunk. Blade hands, statue form and dragon form no longer get bonus base damage from stats, but rather have a fixed base damage per form. This puts to rest my dream of trying to do gozag -> chei on an octopode and trying to one shot hell lords. It will be interesting to see how this affects transmuter balance. I have a question for the devs, if someone has the time to answer. Do the average stats used to derive the new damage account for the strength boost in dragon form? The damage numbers seem pretty low if the learndb is right. LearnDB says dragon form's base damage is 18 + str*(2/3), assume a non chei dragon has a str of 14 + 10 =24, that's 34 base damage, higher than the new number at a much lower strength than many dragon form characters would actually have. Dragon form is pretty delicately balanced against the others and really needs its absurd damage output to keep up.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

To be wholly clear, transmuter forms still get bonus damage from stats - it's just applied as bonus damage, not compounded as additional base damage and bonus damage. The flat damage change is intended to bring it in line with every other weapon in the game.

We'll be monitoring the effects of this change.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Heithinn Grasida posted:

Interesting changes to transmuter damage in trunk. Blade hands, statue form and dragon form no longer get bonus base damage from stats, but rather have a fixed base damage per form. This puts to rest my dream of trying to do gozag -> chei on an octopode and trying to one shot hell lords. It will be interesting to see how this affects transmuter balance. I have a question for the devs, if someone has the time to answer. Do the average stats used to derive the new damage account for the strength boost in dragon form? The damage numbers seem pretty low if the learndb is right. LearnDB says dragon form's base damage is 18 + str*(2/3), assume a non chei dragon has a str of 14 + 10 =24, that's 34 base damage, higher than the new number at a much lower strength than many dragon form characters would actually have. Dragon form is pretty delicately balanced against the others and really needs its absurd damage output to keep up.

This annoys me because I have been having fun with ogre transmuters now that the fun of using GSC has been dampened significantly.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Mr. Lobe posted:

This annoys me because I have been having fun with ogre transmuters now that the fun of using GSC has been dampened significantly.

I am sorry! I try to add as much fun into the game as I can, but we do have to make sure that we stick by our core principles and philosophies, for the long-term health of Crawl.

Speaking entirely off the record, and you shouldn't take this as prophecy, but I think these numbers could stand to be buffed a little bit. We'll see how Transmuters perform over the next few weeks with the flat numbers. Personally, I think the early benefits will outweigh the impact of the late changes.

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

I think ogre transmuter is still really good though. Basically good aptitudes for a transmuter and gigantic HP. But I expect they'll mostly want to stop at blade hands now.

Overall I think this is a good change. I'm just worried the numbers aren't right. I can't imagine dragon form being enticing to anyone except maybe draconians, octopodes or felids at this point. That might just be because I hate blade hands, since it being the best, easiest to cast and most available transmutation ruins the other, more fun ones.

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

Thanks for all the help, everyone. Today I got my first rune, and then got a rune again on 2 subsequent characters. One of them is still alive even.

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

On entropy weavers you guys are 100% correct, they have see invisible. Double-checked it in the game. Weird thing though, the http://crawl.develz.org/info/index.php?q=entropy+weaver bot doesn't show the see invis flag that other monsters like titans get.

Looking at mon-data.h I don't see a difference

Anyways, I finally ascended another character after a week of amazingly lovely luck with shaft traps.
http://crawl.akrasiac.org/rawdata/LordSloth/morgue-LordSloth-20170221-062059.txt
http://crawl.akrasiac.org/scoring/players/lordsloth.html

I'ts my third highest scoring game, but that's not what has me excited - I looked at my player sheet for the first time in a long while. I got five runes with my lowest ever turncount and duration, which I'm pretty happy about. 67,449 turns and 05:10:10! By comparison, my first ever win took over fifteen hours for 6 runes.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Losing a character with a battleaxe of freezing because I had no remove curse scrolls on D:9 and I wielded a cursed blowgun to kite a two-headed ogre is really great, imo.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
100% your own drat fault? We just had a conversation on how comically unlikely it is to get hosed by cursed items in modern day crawl. You literally tried on a item of unknown curse status, knowing you had no remove curse scrolls, in the middle of combat no less.

Or maybe I'm misreading your post and you're actually being self-deprecating - Then yes, good work, you don hosed up, put a frame on it!

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

vOv posted:

Losing a character with a battleaxe of freezing because I had no remove curse scrolls on D:9 and I wielded a cursed blowgun to kite a two-headed ogre is really great, imo.

Picking up a ranged weapon like a blowgun, sheesh, found your first mistake.

If it makes you feel better Battleaxes of Freezing aren't the rarest of items so you probably can find another one in short time and relive your past glory?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Not as bad as when I found Frostbite on like D5 and then died a couple floors later.

• Locked thread