Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hifi
Jul 25, 2012

The coyotes' ownership hasn't been great but there's not a lot they can do. They've worked outside of the box on the ASU arena deal which supposedly failed because ASU would rather have some other benefit from the state than a new arena, and they've been dedicated so far to staying in the phoenix metro area. Their salary is still down but they also haven't forced any stupid deals to make it to the playoffs by a shoestring. Fans are bitching about the tippett promotion because of the short term but they're still a young team all around and anyone else probably wasn't going to do any better.

The glendale star reports are looking more and more like a hit piece, apparently nobody from the coyotes was on the list of tours for the seattle arena, and the recent tidbit is that there's only one female spokeswoman for the arena and this anonymous source the paper is quoting is a male. The last one is a little tenuous but nobody in phoenix seems to think it's legit and nobody in seattle seems to think it's legit, and the owners deny it, so there's not really a reason to think it's happening, at least until they actually exhaust their options in phoenix.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Mike_V posted:

How terrible would a Quebec City team be in terms of on-ice product? I imagine they would be even more stupid about wanting on Francophones on-ice and on the bench, which would seem to severely limit their competitive ability.

Very.

Maybe Montreal could go back to being the anglo team and stop fretting as much about French.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Jordan7hm posted:

Very.

Maybe Montreal could go back to being the anglo team and stop fretting as much about French.

Probably not. Even watching Habs streams, you get a bunch of people screaming "WE WANT RDS/TVA!". Montreal has aggressively gone after that market since the Nordiques left town, apparently failing to recognise that a very large faction of Quebecers swear a blood oath to never follow Montreal - a faction that still refuses to follow Montreal to this day, twenty-odd years later.

hifi posted:

The coyotes' ownership hasn't been great but there's not a lot they can do. They've worked outside of the box on the ASU arena deal which supposedly failed because ASU would rather have some other benefit from the state than a new arena, and they've been dedicated so far to staying in the phoenix metro area. Their salary is still down but they also haven't forced any stupid deals to make it to the playoffs by a shoestring. Fans are bitching about the tippett promotion because of the short term but they're still a young team all around and anyone else probably wasn't going to do any better.

The glendale star reports are looking more and more like a hit piece, apparently nobody from the coyotes was on the list of tours for the seattle arena, and the recent tidbit is that there's only one female spokeswoman for the arena and this anonymous source the paper is quoting is a male. The last one is a little tenuous but nobody in phoenix seems to think it's legit and nobody in seattle seems to think it's legit, and the owners deny it, so there's not really a reason to think it's happening, at least until they actually exhaust their options in phoenix.

I personally highly doubt Phoenix will relocate to Seattle. Seattle will get an expansion team, Quebec will be the bait for relocation.
If it happens at the same time, Seattle will take Arizona's spot in the Pacific, Quebec will move into the Atlantic and Columbus or Detroit (if it's Columbus, Detroit moves into the Metro - but it will be Detroit because *history*) will move into the Central which solves the imbalanced divisions thing.

But as I put in an effortpost on the other page, there's not going to be any real talk of relocation for at least another year, probably two or three unless the Coyotes ownership really start to panic/Glendale takes them to the absolute cleaners. So 2-4 years away from any serious relocation efforts.

Schlesische fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Feb 10, 2017

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Schremp Howard posted:

Is the Seattle council still trying to use the excuse of "We don't want to build unless we're guaranteed basketball"? I want to say that during this saga one of the hold ups was the council not caring that the arena would definitely have a hockey team and possibly basketball when the NBA got to it because without the NBA it was a non-starter.

I'm more curious what the NBA would do. Move a failing market (if there are any? Sacramento was the last team I heard having issues but I think that got resolved.) Expand to 31 teams? Unless the NBA is an old boys club I don't see why they aren't all over this idea and throwing support to it.

Sacramento just moved into a brand new stadium this year, o they're not moving any time soon

The NBA would expand, there aren't any teams right now that have the right conditions to get moved and the new CBA has a lot of language for the event of expansion

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Let's not forget the governor of Connecticut wants to make the XL Center NHL-level again.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Quebec fans were so violently opposed to the Habs that today many are Toronto and Boston fans.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
The whole cult around that attitude of a "French Canadian team for French Canadians" baffles me. It's gonna be a LONG time before the Habs win a cup again. That attitude was fine when the rule about having first dibs on French players existed, not so much anymore. Imagine if Yankee fans demanded only people from NYC or NY state. The 90s would have been very different if that was the case.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

To sign them is my real test

With full no movement clause
Then again that's why they won every championship before 1970 but I wouldn't expect any Yankees fan to know or admit that

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe
I'm okay with Seattle getting a team if it meant Hartford and Quebec City got teams as well

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

So what's the update on this dumb team's dumb name?

Last I heard, 'Golden Knights' is disputed by a college team and the army's parachute team.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

http://arizonasports.com/story/1024619/sb-1149-which-would-provide-funds-for-new-coyotes-arena-explained/

this just passed through committee, next step is the senate for debate and then vote, and then the house

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

hfboards is ripping on the 24.4MM figure but I think what they're showing is that the coyotes pay the most into their arena? Like the preds figure doesn't make any sense if you're expecting it to be the cost of the ice and janitors or whatever, and not what nashville agreed to to get hockey in their city.

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again
Your face reminds me of a bleak future
Despite the absence of hope
I give you this sacrifice

hifi posted:

hfboards is ripping on the 24.4MM figure but I think what they're showing is that the coyotes pay the most into their arena? Like the preds figure doesn't make any sense if you're expecting it to be the cost of the ice and janitors or whatever, and not what nashville agreed to to get hockey in their city.

The Preds have a super favourable lease agreement that lets them earn up to an $8.4 million subsidy based on financial incentives (the city pays the team $1m/yr to manage the arena for them).

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
I used CapFriendly's expansion draft pool. Here's what I got. I'm well aware there's no way in hell Brodin goes unprotected, bUt if he did they'd pick him and so would I. Curious to see if anybody would do things differently.

FORWARDS (17 - $13,400,833)
Kulemin, Nikolai-LW-RW
Desharnais, David-C
Vanek, Thomas-LW-RW
Hansen, Jannik-RW
Yakupov, Nail RW-LW
Raffl, Michael LW-C
Namestnikov, Vladislav C-LW
Hendricks, Matt LW
Sceviour, Colton C-RW
Dano, Marko C-LW-RW
Hartman, Ryan-RW
Nieto, Matt-LW-RW
Bennett, Beau-RW-LW
McKenzie, Curtis-LW
Arvidsson, Viktor-RW
Hamilton, Freddie-C
Sedlak, Lukas-C

Defencemen-9 - $7,266,667
Brodin, Jonas-D
Franson, Cody-D
Daley, Trevor-D
Schlemko, David-D
Connauton, Kevin-D
Wikstrand, Mikael-D
Megna, Jaycob-D
Carrick, Trevor-D
Corrado, Frank-D
GOALTENDERS (3 - $1,000,000)
Raanta, Antti G

Subban, Malcolm G

Grubauer, Philipp G

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Feb 21, 2017

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
I would be pretty shocked if the Canucks don't protect or trade Hansen

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

JawKnee posted:

I would be pretty shocked if the Canucks don't protect or trade Hansen

According to CapFriendly he has a NTC. But they might protect him. And I suppose he could waive it so he could play for a decent team.

GuavaMoment
Aug 13, 2006

YouTube dude

El Gallinero Gros posted:

I used CapFriendly's expansion draft pool. Here's what I got.

Hendricks, Matt LW

The Oilers will lose Brandon Davidson if they do the 7/3/1 method, and one of Maroon/Pouliot/Letestu if they go the 8 skaters route. Vegas can do a lot better than just Hendricks.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

To sign them is my real test

With full no movement clause
A $22M roster :eyepop:

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

I imagine a lot of that is contracts ending. Daley for instance. Does that count for the team in that case or is the player a ufa?

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

I think vegas should prioritize vrbata, hanzal, or burmistrov over connauton. It depends on who gets traded though, with hanzal being probably wishful thinking.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Subban isn't good, pick a better goalie.

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

El Gallinero Gros posted:

I used CapFriendly's expansion draft pool. Here's what I got. I'm well aware there's no way in hell Brodin goes unprotected, bUt if he did they'd pick him and so would I. Curious to see if anybody would do things differently.

FORWARDS (17 - $13,400,833)
Hendricks, Matt LW

:pray:

GuavaMoment posted:

The Oilers will lose Brandon Davidson if they do the 7/3/1 method, and one of Maroon/Pouliot/Letestu if they go the 8 skaters route. Vegas can do a lot better than just Hendricks.

I doubt they go the 8 skaters route, so odds are that Davidson gets picked if he's still on the roster. If not him, I hope Russell, but I'm guessing Vegas' management won't be that stupid. So it'll be either Reinhart or, more likely, one of the Oilers forwards they don't protect (that isn't Hendricks).

e: Also there's no reason for Las Vegas not to pick Matt Murray, since as far as we know at this point Fleury will still be on the Pens and his NMC will auto-protect him, despite what PAS might say.

Kilza fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Feb 21, 2017

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Teemu Pokemon posted:

A $22M roster :eyepop:

Oh I completely missed that. the minimum cap for vegas is 44M, so try again

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Kilza posted:

despite what PAS might say.

If Murray gets expansion'ed I imagine what PAS might say would be "FIRE RUTHERFORD"

GoonGPT
May 26, 2006

Posting for a better future, today!
The Canucks will lose Hansen for nothing because Trev Dog and the Spectrum Bunch are idiots

Stretch Marx
Apr 29, 2008

I'm ok with this.
Toronto is going to be stuck with Bozak, Polak, and Hunwick forever. :(

JollyPubJerk
Nov 10, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Seems like you need one Matt Moulson to get up to the cap floor :getin:

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Stretch Marx posted:

Toronto is going to be stuck with Bozak, Polak, and Hunwick forever. :(

Unless the Leafs extend Polak and Hunwick, they come off the books at the end of the year.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
I thought Raffle was a lock for the Flyers to protect?

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -

Schlesische posted:

Unless the Leafs extend Polak and Hunwick, they come off the books at the end of the year.

The leafs should unquestionably extend one roman polak like fuckin duh

Oh and Harry Bozak

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
My picks were based completely on who CF's system left unprotected. You're right about Murray, though.

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES
is arvidsson really going to go unprotected. also i'd figure they'd pick grabner over raanta

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

I made some dumbass things because I'm bored and I like the colors and I know it's not a name that's happening, but gently caress it, I'm gonna :justpost:

Yeah, MSPaint but whatever

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

Rotten Cookies posted:

I made some dumbass things because I'm bored and I like the colors and I know it's not a name that's happening, but gently caress it, I'm gonna :justpost:

The NHL should unironically make bad MSPaint jerseys like the ones in your av.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
I thought the consensus is that Anaheim is going to lose one of Rakell, Silfverberg, or Fowler unless they make a move. They can't protect everyone due to bad NMCs (lol Bieksa). But it looks like you have Las Vegas taking Megna?

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

I just want to smile. Just once. I'd like to just, one time, go to Disney World and smile like the other boys and girls.

Rotten Cookies posted:

The owner of the Florida Marlins wanted to name them Florida Flamingos with pink uniforms and had to be talked out of it by MLB :lol:

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."

a false posted:

is arvidsson really going to go unprotected. also i'd figure they'd pick grabner over raanta

I don't think so. He's tied for the team lead in goals.

I'm thinking Nashville protects: Rinne (NMC), Subban, Josi, Ellis, Ekholm, Forsberg, Neal, Johansen, and Arvidsson.

That leaves Smith, Wilson, and Jarnkrok as probably the most likely picks. IMO Jarnkrok is the best bet there but I guess they could take Smith or Wilson for salary floor reasons.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...

a false posted:

I feel like the Rangers are going to trade a forward, possibly Grabner, simply because his value is going to be really high. Then they'd probably lose Fast, Holden, or Raanta, but the return for a 30+ goal scorer would offset that. Not quite sure how they'll meet this exposure requirement, though:

ii) Two forwards who are a) under contract in 2017-18 and b) played in 40 or more NHL games the prior season OR played in 70 or more NHL games in the prior two seasons.

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT
The Wild will probably expose Scandella and Dumba, no way Jonas goes. His ceiling has proven to be endlessly high.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Top Hats Monthly posted:

The Wild will probably expose Scandella and Dumba, no way Jonas goes. His ceiling has proven to be endlessly high.

Isn't Dumba pretty solid as well? Like, not suggesting he's on Brodin's level, but he's top 4, no?

• Locked thread