Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine
Africa is the biggest peninsula of them all.

Edit: Or rather was before the Suez was dug, but who cares about that

Golbez fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Feb 20, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Dreddout posted:

Truth bomb about to drop

EUROPE IS AN UP-JUMPED PENINSULA, NOT A CONTINENT

A continent is just a peninsula with a trade organization.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
There are only two continents: Afro‐Eurasia and America.

Australia is a large island. Antarctica is really an archipelago under all that ice.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
I mean, you're just an underwater bone archipelago burried under meat deposits, if you think about it.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

There's one continent with a lot of water on it.

This is how I play this game, right?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Count Roland posted:

Alleged Earth +200Ma

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Platystemon posted:

Australia is a large island. Antarctica is really an archipelago under all that ice.

No lie, it would be pretty cool to see a map or rending of what Antarctica would look like minus the ice. But without actually melting all the ice of it like we're doing now.

Has anyone done any kind of ice-penetrating imaging of Antarctica? The only thing I know about what's under there is that there's a subterranean lake with some pretty exotic life in it.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

No lie, it would be pretty cool to see a map or rending of what Antarctica would look like minus the ice. But without actually melting all the ice of it like we're doing now.

Current bedrock altitude.

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.
politcally-loaded maps: loving continents, how do they work?

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Platystemon posted:

Probably a dumb question, but how many of those potholes would be above sea level if the weight of the glaciers was removed, if any at all?

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Europe is the only continent that matters

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Platystemon posted:

But how much of that would rebound when the ice is removed.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Dreddout posted:

politcally-loaded maps: loving continents, how do they work?

Judging by Scandinavia, they don't really do much loving.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
Scandinavia is proof that Europe committed :awesome:penile subincision:awesome: whereas Florida and Michigan prove that America is still young and virile.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Shbobdb posted:

Scandinavia is proof that Europe committed :awesome:penile subincision:awesome: whereas Florida and Michigan prove that America is still young and virile.

This seems like the sort of thing that natural selection strongly discourages.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
It actually makes a lot of sense from a Eugenic standpoint. All the sperm is going to be very young healthy sperm without a lifetime of somatic mutations accumulating. And adults get to have all the child-free sex they want. Think of it as a primitive Brave New World.

Some anthropologists think it was originally a way to train very young boys to have sex since a sufficiently small penis can also gently caress a subincised penis.

Lots of good stuff all around!

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Count Roland posted:

US/Russia seems a weird category. Does this mean half the people surveyed want the US, the other half Russia?

Yeah you'll note it's a rare category that generally only appears in very divided countries:

Latvia: Latvians probably want US, large Russian minority probably want Russia
Ukraine: West probably wants US, east probably wants Russia
Bosnia and Herzegovina: Bosnians probably want US, Republika Srpska probably want Russia
Iraq: Iraqis probably want Russia, Kurds probably want the US

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Phlegmish posted:

The USA's internal borders are mostly based on completely arbitrary rectangles of different sizes. It's an ingenious way of engineering a federal state. It's also how you end up with counties that have three people living in them.

Texas specifically had a boom of creating new counties in the late 19th century though, leading to it having the most counties of any state at 254. The relatively small population and size of the counties, compared to other states, appears to be a result of Texas believing they'd get way more people out there than they actually ended up getting. The kind of settlement they expected would have meant a Texas with probably somewhere around 3 times the population the state actually has today, and far more spread out into all that land instead of mostly concentrated around cities that have been the major cities of Texas for over a hundred years.

Just look at this difference:

(note that the site these are originally from uses the blue coloring to indicate a county that has been created in a geographic sense, yet didn't actually have a government yet).

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

fishmech posted:

Texas specifically had a boom of creating new counties in the late 19th century though, leading to it having the most counties of any state at 254. The relatively small population and size of the counties, compared to other states, appears to be a result of Texas believing they'd get way more people out there than they actually ended up getting. The kind of settlement they expected would have meant a Texas with probably somewhere around 3 times the population the state actually has today, and far more spread out into all that land instead of mostly concentrated around cities that have been the major cities of Texas for over a hundred years.

Just look at this difference:

(note that the site these are originally from uses the blue coloring to indicate a county that has been created in a geographic sense, yet didn't actually have a government yet).

Squaritories

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Count Roland posted:

This is how I play this game, right?
Correct.

(politically loaded English Lake)

Lord Hydronium fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Feb 21, 2017

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

the Kurdish question?
Two-state solution!

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

ekuNNN posted:

the Kurdish question?
Two-state solution!

was this map made by German Greek nationalists? Macedonia is labelled as Skopje too.

Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

I say, hey, listen to me!
Stay sane inside insanity!!!
Instanbul alone has more people than that lovely decrepit backwater. That state would be so overwhelmingly Turkish that the Greeks wouldn't even form half a political party.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Schizotek posted:

Instanbul alone has more people than that lovely decrepit backwater. That state would be so overwhelmingly Turkish that the Greeks wouldn't even form half a political party.

I think you will find that the state will be 100% Greek.

snuggle baby luvs hugs
Aug 30, 2005

Guavanaut posted:

Alleged Earth +200Ma

I'll be damned it my great^100 grandson has to share a continent with the perfidious...everyone

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Some years ago I ran across a website for globes of some various alternate Earths. The creator is admittedly an artist and not a scientist, but he does his best to figure out how things would be different if (for example) the Earth's poles were in different places with respect to the continents, or if altitudes were inverted (as in the quoted map).

http://www.worlddreambank.org/P/PLANETS.HTM

I just wish the creator of these maps had restrained himself from speculating about the species of furries that might have evolved on these worlds. :sigh:

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

snuggle baby luvs hugs posted:

I'll be damned it my great^100 grandson has to share a continent with the perfidious...everyone

Don't worry that's about 5000 years at best.

Crazy to think of future millions of years ahead. Admittedly this is not very mapthready.

Andorra
Dec 12, 2012

Lord Hydronium posted:

Correct.

(politically loaded English Lake)

Aral Island will sink into the ocean. :(

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Schizotek posted:

The people who actually live there have barely changed in 1000 years. Mostly just the upper classes that are different.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

fishmech posted:

The people who actually live there have barely changed in 1000 years. Mostly just the upper classes that are different.

I'm glad to see the myths of post WWI forced relocations have been greatly exaggerated.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

smh at the map of social fascist traitors

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Shbobdb posted:

I'm glad to see the myths of post WWI forced relocations have been greatly exaggerated.

The relocations had nothing to do with actual genetic ancestry, everything to do with religion and language.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

fishmech posted:

The relocations had nothing to do with actual genetic ancestry, everything to do with religion and language.

Religion and language have no correlation with ethnicity?

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Powered Descent posted:

Some years ago I ran across a website for globes of some various alternate Earths. The creator is admittedly an artist and not a scientist, but he does his best to figure out how things would be different if (for example) the Earth's poles were in different places with respect to the continents, or if altitudes were inverted (as in the quoted map).

http://www.worlddreambank.org/P/PLANETS.HTM

I just wish the creator of these maps had restrained himself from speculating about the species of furries that might have evolved on these worlds. :sigh:

I love this website!!! It was shared by Infratael I think in lf all the way back in 2009 or 10, so weird and wonderful. And they really are globes too, not just maps, the guy actually created real physical models for each of his ideas. His here's conception of an earth with twice our current CO2 levels:

quote:

So the new Europe's climate is mild and maritime--the harsh continental winters of the east are gone, for the old continent is gone--Eurafrasia's broken up like Pangea before it.
The Gulf Stream sinks in the mid-Atlantic now, overlain by lighter fresh water from the rivers of new-thawed Greenland and North Canada. But a second warm current helps the Gulf Stream keep Europe mild: it circles Europe, north from the twin straits of Gibraltar and Midi (between Spain and France), through the Albion Archipelago (the maze of small islands that were once western France, Ireland and Britain), northeast around Scandinavia and the Isle of Saami through both the Arctic and the Baltic, and south into the new Ob Sea just east of the Ural Range, through the long, narrow Turgay Strait into the Aral Sea, then west to the Caspian and Black Seas, south through the Bosporus and Izmit Straits into the Mediterranean, and west again to close the cycle.

Besides keeping what's left of Europe warm and maritime, this loop's had an unexpected effect on marine life--while the mixing of species caused some extinctions, overall biomass is way up. The inland seas desperately needed this flushing action. The influx of Indian Ocean water from the reinvigorated Red Sea through the Suez Strait also adds species, warmth and nutrients, changing the eastern Mediterranean from a near-desert sea to a rich one. Nile silt, pushed by the twin currents, can't settle in the delta, but forms a long nutrient plume to the west, breaking up into smaller whorls only in the straits south of Sicily. Farming may shift far north in the new Europe, but fishing will move south. And inland, of course.

Way, way inland.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

give it a few more decades and you'll have that map back again

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

Baron Corbyn posted:

was this map made by German Greek nationalists? Macedonia is labelled as Skopje too.

It's from a German comedy party (like in real comedy and not ironic one)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghetto Prince
Sep 11, 2010

got to be mellow, y'all

Kurtofan posted:

I really want to see an updated version of that map

It's amazing how badly we hosed up that election.