Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I don't think I'll ever play it cos it's not my thang but Horizon graphics look great and this is the engine Kojima wants to use for Death Stranding so happy days!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I'm curious how well Horizon will do, since it came out in the midst of what feels like market saturation. But I really want to play it when my backlog isn't so crazy!

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I really doubt any of the games released so far this year will have had a bigger marketing push than the first party sony game

games like nioh and yakuza are cool and all but they aren't gonna have the same kind of backing or mass appeal

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

seiferguy posted:

I'm curious how well Horizon will do, since it came out in the midst of what feels like market saturation. But I really want to play it when my backlog isn't so crazy!

To be fair, the audience for it is quite different and more mainstream than the audience for things like Nioh and Nier 2 so it could still do fine. Still it's a new IP so who knows?

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
UnfortunateSexFart (And anyone else who was hot on For Honor...)

This is not a callout. Just a genuine curiosity...
a week later, how do you feel on For Honor?

I gameflyed it but haven't even taken it out of it's mailer in 6 days because NIOH SO loving GOOD (and also I'm a dad with limited time...)

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

seiferguy posted:

its deffo gonna outsell all comers i would think. its been having huge marketing for like 18 months and isn't as niche in the west as platinum games generally are or zelda will be on limited numbers of launch hardware

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
I might reup my Gamefly subscription to play Nioh and Horizon: Zero Dawn (which I have pooh-poohed here in the past, but the reviews appear to be really good and I am a fickle, easily swayed consumer) once I finish FF15 and Fallout 4. So like in 6 months I guess?

screaden
Apr 8, 2009

Sunning posted:

It's also in development without the help of THE BENZ:

What is this from?

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

I'm gonna have to play a game after I'm done y0. Thinking re7 or Zelda Wii U edition.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Housh posted:

I'm gonna have to play a game after I'm done y0. Thinking re7 or Zelda Wii U edition.

Have you heard the good word about Nioh, friend?

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Feenix posted:

I gameflyed it but haven't even taken it out of it's mailer in 6 days because NIOH SO loving GOOD (and also I'm a dad with limited time...)

I am more impressed the more I play, honestly. They built enough progression stuff to make it last a long time - you don't even get the really cool weapons/gear until you play for about 50 hours it seems. No goon has done it yet as far as I know. Combat has tons of depth. My one big issue is that when lots of people rage quit it can crash the whole game, but other than that it's become the only multiplayer game I play lately.

It will suck if you're not good at online multiplayer games though. You have to be better than average or you're gonna have a bad time.

Here's me taking on three players by myself and winning :smug:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BgwZG8SdMHY

To those not familiar with the game, that's me stopping an execution (so I could revive my teammate) then blocking three attackers until my revenge meter (boosted by blocking attacks) caused a knockdown on anyone attacking me when that yellow pulse went out (two of three). Then the third guy tried to hit me with an insta-kill flaming arrow attack, which I narrowly dodged, and caused him to try to run away - but I was faster and separated his head from his body.

It's too bad some people in this thread want it to fail so badly because it really is fun and challenging and I believe will be around and popular for a long time. Just look at how many posts are in the For Honor thread.

Laughing Man
Feb 11, 2008
I thought what I’d do was pretend I was one of those deaf mutes, or something...

Manatee Cannon posted:

me3 wasn't just the weak ending to a game; it was the weak ending to a trilogy of games, in which you made choices that shaped your character and the universe (s)he lived in. having an awful ending was a much bigger deal with that game because it was following two critically and fan acclaimed games that were liked in large part because of the characters and the story

This is a few pages back but this will always be my ending to Mass Effect 3;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JAmVVAjZZeM

screaden posted:

What is this from?

Wrongful dismissal suit brought on by the Benz.

Laughing Man fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Feb 21, 2017

Bad Parenting
Mar 26, 2007

This could get emotional...

Feenix posted:

The souls series of games + bloodborne are probably my favourite game series ever.

I started Nioh and it is undoubtedly awesome, but it has been temporarily shelved because grouping up with 3 of my friends and throwing people off ledges, into spikes and lava and other assorted activities have been the funnest times I've had in a MP game in a long time, and I've played all the CoD's, Battlefields, Titanfall, Vermentide, Space Hulk Deathwing, Overwatch, Killing Floor 2 and many other games across PC and PS4.

Getting in on the early days of a game like this are the best, compared to a mainly single player experience like Nioh that I can go back to any time.

In other words it's great and a week in I'm enjoying it more now than I was a week before.

Tomahawk
Aug 13, 2003

HE KNOWS

seiferguy posted:

Its coming out during a drought for me. Cannot wait to play it!

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

I am more impressed the more I play, honestly. They built enough progression stuff to make it last a long time - you don't even get the really cool weapons/gear until you play for about 50 hours it seems. No goon has done it yet as far as I know. Combat has tons of depth. My one big issue is that when lots of people rage quit it can crash the whole game, but other than that it's become the only multiplayer game I play lately.

It will suck if you're not good at online multiplayer games though. You have to be better than average or you're gonna have a bad time.

Here's me taking on three players by myself and winning :smug:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BgwZG8SdMHY

To those not familiar with the game, that's me stopping an execution (so I could revive my teammate) then blocking three attackers until my revenge meter (boosted by blocking attacks) caused a knockdown on anyone attacking me when that yellow pulse went out (two of three). Then the third guy tried to hit me with an insta-kill flaming arrow attack, which I narrowly dodged, and caused him to try to run away - but I was faster and separated his head from his body.

It's too bad some people in this thread want it to fail so badly because it really is fun and challenging and I believe will be around and popular for a long time. Just look at how many posts are in the For Honor thread.

My slight disappointment (although I know why) is that the biggest draw for me would be unlockable carrot poo poo but the only mode I care about (so far from betas) were the duels, where that stuff would naturally be disabled.

Still gonna give it a fair shake if I can pull myself away from Nioh.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

This has semi-convinced me to rent it while I'm waiting for Horizon. I guess I will let the random chance of the Gamefly queue determine whether I play RE7 or For Honor

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Feenix posted:

My slight disappointment (although I know why) is that the biggest draw for me would be unlockable carrot poo poo but the only mode I care about (so far from betas) were the duels, where that stuff would naturally be disabled.

You still get all the pretty cosmetics just the stats effects don't apply to duels I believe.

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

screaden posted:

What is this from?

Leslie Benzies, the former head of Rockstar North, sued Take2 for $150 million in unpaid bonuses and wrongful termination. Benzies was reportedly the man who got the games out of door when the Houser brothers were struggling with development. That excerpt about emails is from his lawsuit.

I have no idea why publishers get into a legal battle with former employees over unpaid wages rather than settle it out of court. The former employees tend to win, such as Martin O'Donnell winning over Bungie. More importantly, it publically airs all of company's financial agreements, contracts, and dirty laundry. You can just pay the lost wages and save yourself a great deal of legal fees and embarrassment.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

For Honor is actually a pretty alright game. Dumped a ton of hours into it this past weekend. There's valid complaints, especially about the p2p/connection/server issue. Guess we'll see with time

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

seiferguy posted:

fwiw none of the recent releases have appealed to me but this one does

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Snackula posted:

I'm kind of sad neither of the new PS4s have a fun swappable cosmetic panel like the fat PS4's HDD cover. I guess it wasn't very popular.

??

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Nioh is such a good game. I never liked the souls or blooborn games but goddamn if this isn't exactly what I needed to get into those after I play the for 300 hours

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

You can replace the drive bay cover on the original model with ones in various colour schemes. Haven't you seen them? There's usually a few in most big stores like Best Buy or Gamestop (Well, the Aussie equivalents, at least).

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Neddy Seagoon posted:

You can replace the drive bay cover on the original model with ones in various colour schemes. Haven't you seen them? There's usually a few in most big stores like Best Buy or Gamestop (Well, the Aussie equivalents, at least).

I haven't been to those stores in forever I was just ?? because I'd like to eventually art up my PS4

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

verbal enema posted:

I haven't been to those stores in forever I was just ?? because I'd like to eventually art up my PS4

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Oh trust me it's going to be 300℅ anime

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Speaking of Hatsune Miku, which is the one to get on the PS4 for the best deal if you don't have VR? I downloaded a "free" version which has like 3 songs, but I've heard mention in this thread that you can get one that has like 200 songs and is apparently a better deal than the dlc for the version I downloaded.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
They don't make GJ-Bu Wraps so I gotta go stickers and custom most likely

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

DrNutt posted:

Speaking of Hatsune Miku, which is the one to get on the PS4 for the best deal if you don't have VR? I downloaded a "free" version which has like 3 songs, but I've heard mention in this thread that you can get one that has like 200 songs and is apparently a better deal than the dlc for the version I downloaded.
The one that just came out, Future Tone

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Future Tone is really good

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Thanks for the quick reply. I thought that one said you had to have a VR headset but I must have been mistaken.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

DrNutt posted:

It's weirdly set up but for Future Tone there are basically three components: a free version that's basically a demo, and then two DLCs called Future Sound and Colorful Tone which have about 100 songs each. Then on top of that there's a season pass for four other song packs with four songs each. Why they went through all this is beyond me.

edit: Future Tone is a hell of a thing if you have even a casual interest in rhythm games. Also I don't see any reason to only get one half of it or the other, you should just go all in and have enough music game to play until the end of time.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Feb 21, 2017

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Dang I was kind of hoping Horizon was gonna suck so I had one less game to buy, but I'll be damned if it doesn't look great.

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

Yeah this is a rough start to the year money-wise. Nioh, Horizon, Yakuza, Zelda and Persona all within the first three months. and even For Honour looks good.

Still not even halfway through Witcher 3 pretty sure. And then I still got two DLCs to go after that so gently caress me I guess.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Also Nier. Too much to keep up with.

Cyron
Mar 10, 2014

by zen death robot

Oxxidation posted:

Also Nier. Too much to keep up with.

don't forget RE7. it been a great year for gaming so far.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

There's a tiny chance Ghost Recon and Mass Effect won't be complete poo poo shows too.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Ghost Recon looks like the most generic open world. At least Horizon has robots.

I guess co-op could make it fun

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
I'm just not seeing the reason to buy horizon but I'm sure after I watch a few lps I'll want to play it as usual

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

Ghost Recon could be fun if it turned out to be a sequel to Mercenaries