Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

timp posted:

Have you seen this one? It's seven and a half minutes long: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9z7LCQ1GgiQ

Love some of the little touches the creator added

Man, animating the entire run of the podcast would be a really impossible task but goddamn would I want to see it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
I mean it's like The Simpsons and Citizen Kane at this rate. Or Bartkira.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/MBMBaM/status/833729891992530944

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

I can't stop laughing at Griffin attempting to relate to the teens.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

JethroMcB posted:

I can't stop laughing at Griffin attempting to relate to the teens.

The dab killed me.

Also, I crazy love the astral plane pulling because it so clearly broke Griffin's DM plans, but the moment was so cool he let it happen, he made soundtrack for it and now there's fanart and animations of specifically that bit coming and coming. It would've been so easy to railroad into what Griffin wanted to happen, or take a moment to stop the three or four loops of BS Taako and Merle took, but letting it flow was so much better.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
I'm listening through Friends at the Table and I can't stop thinking about Griffin following Austin's lead and going with something super light mechanically and freeform for whatever the next version of TAZ ends up being, just so that the really cool stuff like the end of the last ep could happen more often. It doesn't really matter too much as long as he keeps erring on the side of ignoring the rules for story purposes, but it would definitely be neat to see what they could do with rules that actually support doing crazy awesome stuff

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

Many of the show's best moments come from creative interpretations of bizarrely detailed, specific D&D spell descriptions. I'm honestly baffled by people thinking that moving away from that stuff would make the show better, rather than worse.

poor life choice
Jul 21, 2006

flatluigi posted:

I'm listening through Friends at the Table and I can't stop thinking about Griffin following Austin's lead and going with something super light mechanically and freeform for whatever the next version of TAZ ends up being, just so that the really cool stuff like the end of the last ep could happen more often. It doesn't really matter too much as long as he keeps erring on the side of ignoring the rules for story purposes, but it would definitely be neat to see what they could do with rules that actually support doing crazy awesome stuff

It would be very good. I doubt they're going to make an incremental change, though. Either a new D&D campaign or something wildly different, not side-stepping to D&D, But Every Class Is Fun And Good.

Fellatio del Toro posted:

Many of the show's best moments come from creative interpretations of bizarrely detailed, specific D&D spell descriptions. I'm honestly baffled by people thinking that moving away from that stuff would make the show better, rather than worse.

I think I posted before that Justin and Clint do seem to benefit from having spells to work off of, but just as often Travis gets stymied for having picked a thematically interesting but mechanically garbage class like two years ago. I was a turbonerd in grade school and read through all the manuals and even I don't go "Ha ha! That is a creative, if unorthodox, use of [whatever card Clint has on the top of his stack]." I DO think "My name is Taako, and you work for me now" is great storytelling. Let them keep the spell cards for inspiration or something, but it's not too hot a take to say there games that would make for better McElroy radio. Telling 1/3rd of your players "you can't do that" when they try to also have great moments kind of sucks.

General Ironicus
Aug 21, 2008

Something about this feels kinda hinky

poor life choice posted:

I think I posted before that Justin and Clint do seem to benefit from having spells to work off of, but just as often Travis gets stymied for having picked a thematically interesting but mechanically garbage class like two years ago.

Taako turns into a T-rex and we make it work because it's fun and awesome. Magnus tries to light a fire and it fails because some rube on Survivor is our baseline for what folk heroes can do.

poor life choice
Jul 21, 2006

General Ironicus posted:

Taako turns into a T-rex and we make it work because it's fun and awesome. Magnus tries to light a fire and it fails because some rube on Survivor is our baseline for what folk heroes can do.

Bizarrely detailed, specific combat mechanics, and strict adherence to the aspects of them that make being a fighter suck, are extremely my poo poo.

poor life choice
Jul 21, 2006
*lifts up front of shirt to reveal 'SIX SECOND ROUNDS' chest tattoo in old timey font*

Serf
May 5, 2011

Yeah give the boys something like Fellowship to work with. Merle coming up with the beach dwarves makes me want to see what would come of the boys developing entire cultures around whatever zany characters they make.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

General Ironicus posted:

How long does it take for the Survivor people to turn into a goddamn T-rex, Griffin? Huh? How long does that take?

poor life choice
Jul 21, 2006

Ariong posted:

How long does it take for the Survivor people to turn into a goddamn T-rex, Griffin? Huh? How long does that take?

Every time I see your avatar I think it's Merle fanart until I realize he's the only boy that hasn't turned into stone.

Maduo
Sep 8, 2006

You see all the colors.
All of them.

Wouldn't Travis run the next game anyway or did they back off that? His way of DMing seemed really story and puzzle heavy in a way that a system built for that would gel nicely.

Kojiro
Aug 11, 2003

LET'S GET TO THE TOP!

General Ironicus posted:

Mmmyeah, the only time the rules stuff bothers me is when its used to actively dick over poor Magnus. Let our Ruff Boi light his fires!

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

According to Travis, he mostly played 4e before the adventure zone, where fighters could do sick rear end poo poo. So he probably picked it because of that reason and has been kinda screwed because of it.

Roobanguy fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Feb 21, 2017

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
I like the emerging trend of people asking questions about how to feel about the crazy poo poo they just saw, like the lemon or the hot milk cereal.

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

Didn't they have basically the exact same "bust a nut" question before?

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008
I just re-listened to the Suffering Game all at once, and I have to say it feels WAY less draggy that way (with the exception of the second wheel-spin, where they hadn't played in six weeks and clearly forgot how to move poo poo along). In fact it almost seemed abrupt compared to previous arcs.

This is how I feel too. If they keep breaking the rules anyway, I don't see the benefit of moving to a system with fewer rules, because the outcome is essentially the same except that the rules give them something to riff on. If it's too freeform there's nothing to grab onto.

Nemico
Sep 23, 2006

You may be thinking of the person's boss who referred to any image on a computer as a meme

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Yes it was a guy whos coworker said "blow my load" instead of "blow my stack"

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Roobanguy posted:

According to Travis, he mostly played 4e before the adventure zone, where fighters could do sick rear end poo poo. So he probably picked it because of that reason and has been kinda screwed because of it.

In compensation for it though, I feel like Magnus is becoming the central character. He's the one who has had the most plot important stuff happen to him.

Edit: My hope is that the four of them put together a source book or something so other people can run campaigns in the B.O.B world. And that Griffin posts all his DM notes after it'sover.

BigRed0427 fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Feb 21, 2017

Gann Jerrod
Sep 9, 2005

A gun isn't a gun unless it shoots Magic.
This is beautiful.

https://twitter.com/jbrooksdev/status/833819922643947525

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008

BigRed0427 posted:

And that Griffin posts all his DM notes after it'sover.

I SO want to know all the story beats he's gotten annoyed at the guys for ruining. Like that battle on top of the train, or how he imagined Eleventh Hour going down (since he said they did it 'wildly out of order'). Or what the hell was supposed to happen at the end of the last episode.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

BigRed0427 posted:

In compensation for it though, I feel like Magnus is becoming the central character. He's the one who has had the most plot important stuff happen to him.

Edit: My hope is that the four of them put together a source book or something so other people can run campaigns in the B.O.B world. And that Griffin posts all his DM notes after it'sover.

I think this is mostly because Travis is the one who's most into roleplaying. It's mentioned that he had created Magnus's backstory before he game started, so he had a good idea of who the character was before going in.

Contrast this to Justin's playstyle which is mostly "do whatever seems funniest at the moment", which leads to some pretty weird character growth for Taako. And Clint is the player who just wants to hang out with his friends and is along for the ride.

Greatbacon
Apr 9, 2012

by Pragmatica

inthesto posted:

I think this is mostly because Travis is the one who's most into roleplaying. It's mentioned that he had created Magnus's backstory before he game started, so he had a good idea of who the character was before going in.

Contrast this to Justin's playstyle which is mostly "do whatever seems funniest at the moment", which leads to some pretty weird character growth for Taako. And Clint is the player who just wants to hang out with his friends and is along for the ride.

I dunno. I guess it's pretty clear from the start that Travis had the most background in RPGs and also the most interest in having a fully fleshed character ready for when things kicked off, but when you look at how the character's personalities have shaped up over the campaign, I feel like Magnus is the most boring character.

Not even from a mechanical stand point, but just in terms of a driving forces and character flaws. Like, Taako is this wizard that puts on airs of stupidity and selfishness as defense mechanisms, despite clearly being invested in the people around him. Meerle is a bum of a father who is trying to make up for his earlier failings by trying to reach out to his kids and burying himself in his old religion.

But Magnus' characterization leaves no room for personal fault like Meerle, or for character growth like Taako. Leaving your wife behind and her getting killed in a retaliatory strike by an evil dude is not a personal flaw, that's just really lovely luck. It clearly left an impact on Magnus, but being scared is not necessarily a personal flaw either. The way that "Magnus Rushes In" has been built up , it's presented as part of his heroic nature, not as some sort of compulsion as a result of Julia's demise. So there's not really any room for Magnus to either fall down or grow up. He'll just Always Be Magnus and he'll Always Rush In.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
Yes based on backstory, but Griffin has given him a lot to work with in the metastory and he's definitely been running with it. The Magnus from several arcs ago would never have kept a secret like this or gone on his jailbreak mission on his own. He's definitely the most connected to the metastory and while yes Magnus could still die in this arc as some sort of heroic sacrifice, I think that would be the worst outcome because he's the one carrying the story forward.

Taako is the most interesting character regardless of plot and Magnus is the most interesting character within the larger plot.

Then there's Merle who I don't really care about at all.

ScrubLeague
Feb 11, 2007

Nap Ghost
The bust a nut email this week I thought I was going to have to pull my car over.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

Greatbacon posted:

But Magnus' characterization leaves no room for personal fault like Meerle, or for character growth like Taako. Leaving your wife behind and her getting killed in a retaliatory strike by an evil dude is not a personal flaw, that's just really lovely luck. It clearly left an impact on Magnus, but being scared is not necessarily a personal flaw either. The way that "Magnus Rushes In" has been built up , it's presented as part of his heroic nature, not as some sort of compulsion as a result of Julia's demise. So there's not really any room for Magnus to either fall down or grow up. He'll just Always Be Magnus and he'll Always Rush In.

See, I don't think they've ever characterized "Magnus Rushes In" as anything heroic at all. He's not rushing in to protect or to help, he's rushing in to force the plot to advance and rip the arms off of robots. Less heroism, more foolhardiness by merit of him being a carpenter first, and a fighter second.

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008

Greatbacon posted:

Meerle is a bum of a father who is trying to make up for his earlier failings by trying to reach out to his kids and burying himself in his old religion.

This is interesting - I've felt like Merle has been the least well-defined character of the three of them. None of the stuff about his family and his earlier failings came in until Eleventh Hour, right? Griffin seemed surprised to hear about his wife and kids during that chalice-temptation episode. It just felt a little shoehorned in to me. It's not like it was a bad choice for his character, it just came late in the story, like he realized he should give his character some depth once he saw the other guys doing it.

I can see the criticism of Magnus but I think his character has definitely grown, just in more subtle ways. Over time he's gotten more dissatisfied with his inability to do anything but rush in, which obviously stems from Travis not being able to cast cool-rear end spells but also seems organic to the character - of course being around Taako and Merle all the time would make him start to feel that way. That's why he decided to take up rogue-ing. And the point about him starting to keep secrets and trust the Director less is a good one - I don't think he would have done that before. His answer to the "what makes a good hero?" question during that game show really rang true for me. He's become more thoughtful in his actions but he's not necessarily all that comfortable with it.

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008
On another note, having gone back and listened to everything again, poor Merle casts healing spells all the time!

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

showbiz_liz posted:

On another note, having gone back and listened to everything again, poor Merle casts healing spells all the time!

He heals them just fine, but I'm pretty sure he only found out about buffing pretty recently. Like, this arc, I think.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

SpacePig posted:

He heals them just fine, but I'm pretty sure he only found out about buffing pretty recently. Like, this arc, I think.

He tries to buff the group in the very first episode, Griffin tells him not to burn spell slots on the gerblins they're fighting

Crindee
Nov 16, 2005

LOOK LIKE EMERIL
Anyone remember which MBMBAM had the story about Justin watching a documentary about what is considered to be THE best place place on Earth to go scuba diving, and realizing he'd been there before but didn't actually bother to go diving and instead opted to go watch crab races or something equally stupid? It was a fairly recent episode, but I've relistened to like half a dozen hunting for it and haven't gotten it yet (I was certain it was Seaburglars of the Archipelago but it wasn't).

EDIT:

Asiina posted:

I think it was 334: BYOBurger because I remember listening to it at a bus stop and it was near the story about whether the squirrel cookies someone brought was just for dogs or were also people food and I couldn't stop laughing.

Yep that was it, thanks!

Crindee fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Feb 21, 2017

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
I think it was 334: BYOBurger because I remember listening to it at a bus stop and it was near the story about whether the squirrel cookies someone brought was just for dogs or were also people food and I couldn't stop laughing.

graham cracker
Mar 8, 2004

"There is no God! Right, Mama?"

"True."

To be honest, I think each character alone wouldn't be too great. I think it's the juxtaposition between the characters that creates interesting stories.

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kDrj0ELz-zQ

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bhQQWudfggQ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Safety Town is the best