Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
You can also put the empties in the seamoth and then dock that at the moonpool. It'll charge the powercells and you can just swap them out once they're fully charged.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you
Is there any way to get rid of a Leviathan that's decided to spawn right next to Lifepod 5? I can't see an appropriate console command.

emoji
Jun 4, 2004
I think you can bump up the knife damage by like a million with console and hit it once.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
Okay, I can't quite make it to the containment facility without a vehicle (other than the Seaglide), since once you hit the lava lakes the temperature starts to damage you even through the reinforced dive suit and you have to be able to wait around for the brain coral highway strategy to work. But I can make it to the entrance to the lava lakes just fine. At least it was fun to try, and neat to make a base in the lost river. Thermal generators are very good when you can use them to their full potential, with the power output to take you back up to max within seconds of fabricating an item and to easily outpace a water filtration system.

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you

emoji posted:

I think you can bump up the knife damage by like a million with console and hit it once.

That did it, thanks.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Paracelsus posted:

Okay, I can't quite make it to the containment facility without a vehicle (other than the Seaglide), since once you hit the lava lakes the temperature starts to damage you even through the reinforced dive suit and you have to be able to wait around for the brain coral highway strategy to work. But I can make it to the entrance to the lava lakes just fine. At least it was fun to try, and neat to make a base in the lost river. Thermal generators are very good when you can use them to their full potential, with the power output to take you back up to max within seconds of fabricating an item and to easily outpace a water filtration system.

I really wish we had a more robust and well tuned power system in this game. So you could do stuff like luxury projects to make a power grid fueled by dozens of solar panels on an island, or a thermal generator complex, to power multiple bases across the sea.

But nope. We've got "Your thermal generator is transmitting to the foundation you built it on, only one destination allowed" or "You've got over 1,500 power due to a combination of Solar, bio, and transmitted thermal. It will still skim off the top of your nuclear reactor every fraction of a second your already existing alternatives are not at 100% capacity".

Even when I've got plenty of spare uranium rods, it's the principle of the matter. Which is why I've tended to only use nukes if it's going to be my primary supply for an outpost.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005
Building next to a thermal spot is probably the easiest and most effective means of power. You set down the generator and never have to touch it again, no resource gimmicks or anything.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Thor-Stryker posted:

Building next to a thermal spot is probably the easiest and most effective means of power. You set down the generator and never have to touch it again, no resource gimmicks or anything.

Well, the general idea behind wishing for more polished transmission options is so I can build where I feel like and not worry about mutually exclusive transmission lines. "There, got my new base set up just where I want it. Now to transmit from the nearest thermal-oh that's right it's already transmitting somewhere else."

So unless you can create thermal vents themselves, "Build next to vents" is basically the opposite :v:

Building next to vents works great, but it's still not what I'm pipedreaming about polished mechanics for.

Capn Jobe
Jan 18, 2003

That's right. Here it is. But it's like you always have compared the sword, the making of the sword, with the making of the character. Cuz the stronger, the stronger it will get, right, the stronger the steel will get, with all that, and the same as with the character.
Soiled Meat
I played a ton of this over the weekend, and how have the Cyclops and PRAWN suit, so I'm starting to really get out there and explore. My next objective is to build a new base with thermal power. I don't have the modification station yet, so I'm stuck taking the Cyclops just about everywhere (Seamoth will only go down to 300m). I ended up in the Grand Reef, in the huge cavern thing, with the abandoned seabase and copious amounts of crabsquids. Nearby I found my way into some tunnels where I found the huge creature skeleton; not a fun place to maneuver the cyclops.

Anyway, here's my question: I found a few of those things that are almost like a tiny volcano that spews heat and ash. Can I put a thermal generator on/near those? I tried to, but I would just take heat damage anywhere near it.

I've seen some other type of thermal vents in other areas, where it's just a hole that occasionally blows out heat (lava geysers?); can thermal generators be used on either type of vent?

Also, how do people generally get the Modification Station fragments? They seem to all be down pretty deep, so you can't take the Seamoth down there (at least not without the modification station), and it's too tight for the Cyclops. Do folks use the PRAWN suit for areas like the Blood Kelp? If you do use the PRAWN, how the hell do you get back up?

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Upgrade your Pressure Compensator. The materials you need aren't unachievably far down.

As for the PRAWN suit, use a grapple hook.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Capn Jobe posted:

Anyway, here's my question: I found a few of those things that are almost like a tiny volcano that spews heat and ash. Can I put a thermal generator on/near those? I tried to, but I would just take heat damage anywhere near it.

I've seen some other type of thermal vents in other areas, where it's just a hole that occasionally blows out heat (lava geysers?); can thermal generators be used on either type of vent?

You can use both types for thermal power. If you build a suit thermometer it will tell you how warm the water/area you are in is and use that to know where to place your thermal generator

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Capn Jobe posted:

Thermal generators will work wherever there's heat, but ideally you want them to be placed where the temperature is consistently over 50 (which is the level you take damage at). The geysers will intermittently produce heat, so they aren't as effective as the vents. Optimally, you want to find the point at which you take heat damage, back off slightly, then use the fabricator's range to place the generator as close to the source as possible.

quote:

Also, how do people generally get the Modification Station fragments? They seem to all be down pretty deep, so you can't take the Seamoth down there (at least not without the modification station), and it's too tight for the Cyclops. Do folks use the PRAWN suit for areas like the Blood Kelp? If you do use the PRAWN, how the hell do you get back up?
The Seamoth with the basic pressure compensator will get you to 300m, and the blood kelp wreck is only 30m below that. Just make sure you have a few tanks to give yourself extra time and bring a seaglide. If the wreck is empty or not where it should be, just console spawn some, because that wreck is really buggy.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The reinforced dive suit also expands your thermal resistance to about 70C I think.

Vorkosigan
Mar 28, 2012

Bhodi posted:

it's just one of our in-house memes https://www.google.com/#q=site:forums.somethingawful.com+kramers+in+the+door+and+just+keeps+kramering

Looks like my subnautica adventure is done for this patch, it's consistently crashing on me when it tries to load up objects, the logs say something about long delays and trying to de-cache resources. Could be the 20 hours on the save that's the culprit, it's OK, I'll explore the depths next patch. They still need to do a VR pass and make things like the compass and text at the bottom of the screen work. Also undocking seamoth/prawn from the cyclops spawns you in the game world where you last docked, not where the cyclops is on un-docking. All these are known bugs in trello, just need to wait for them to fix it!

I started to get this right after picking up the last Cyclops blueprint, turns out it's a cache issues (yes, # of saves and length of time is what causes this). I went into my save folder, deleted 2 of the folders (I forget which ones, but the first few Google results had the exact SteamCommunty posts needed), and that seems to fix the issue at least for the moment. As an added bonus, that re-spawned all the resources in their original locations so I could actually go back and get some more goddamn Silver ore for all the computer chips I need.

I assume I'll need to do this every day or two, since while not having things de-spawn if you leave them for a bit is great, it seems like a maaaaaaassive resource hog.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Vorkosigan posted:

I started to get this right after picking up the last Cyclops blueprint, turns out it's a cache issues (yes, # of saves and length of time is what causes this). I went into my save folder, deleted 2 of the folders (I forget which ones, but the first few Google results had the exact SteamCommunty posts needed), and that seems to fix the issue at least for the moment. As an added bonus, that re-spawned all the resources in their original locations so I could actually go back and get some more goddamn Silver ore for all the computer chips I need.

I assume I'll need to do this every day or two, since while not having things de-spawn if you leave them for a bit is great, it seems like a maaaaaaassive resource hog.

While logically I know that someday, eventually at the last second possible in their dev cycle, they will at least try to optimize things properly.

It's more amusing to imagine them high fiving eachother because all their shitshow problems take until after the 2 hour mark :v: It would certainly fit alongside their annual with update five paragraph posts about how hard they are working you guuuuuys to cap off a single throwaway sentence about how they had to push back/cut the thing you were actually hoping they'd meet their date on (That's gamedev!)

These save lifespan performance gently caress ups have been around for ages, and I think at this point probably make up the vast majority of current negative reviews that are not just empty salt. But even that just tends to get brushed off as "Well who cares, game is perfect even if it crumples under it's own weight :rolleyes:" and you can only say 'Well you never optimize until launch anyways :byodood:' so many times before degrades from a good point to being a crybaby people are critiquing years long issues.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Feb 17, 2017

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
Last night I started a new game to find that I couldn't fit into small caves and couldn't pick up/break a bunch of objects. I could break some limestone outcrops but not others, occasionally couldn't pick up quartz or scrap that were directly in the reticle, and couldn't pick up crashfish powder at all. Some salt piles could only be picked up from very precise and odd angles.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Paracelsus posted:

Last night I started a new game to find that I couldn't fit into small caves and couldn't pick up/break a bunch of objects. I could break some limestone outcrops but not others, occasionally couldn't pick up quartz or scrap that were directly in the reticle, and couldn't pick up crashfish powder at all. Some salt piles could only be picked up from very precise and odd angles.

Wait for the next stable patch I guess, this one's very hosed that way and is why I'm not playing.

RadioDog
May 31, 2005
This one's all over the place. Of course, I'm playing experimental, so I wonder how that even factors into the bug reports people must be making - I mean how would you know if you were looking at a bug or some compounded version of a bug caused by doing something particular across rolling experimental updates. Just throw the experimental reports out?

I was actually having fun with this last patch-batch, but as of the latest update the prawn now stands several feet over the sea floor and wobbles when it walks like its got broken legs.

RadioDog fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Feb 17, 2017

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Uh oh. What did he do now?

Nap Ghost

Paracelsus posted:

Just make sure you have a few tanks to give yourself extra time
Just wanted to emphasize this because it's not intuitive and it blew my mind when I learned it.

It's not ideal for every dive, but pretty necessary at a few points when the game makes you stretch your depth capacity.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

ImpactVector posted:

Just wanted to emphasize this because it's not intuitive and it blew my mind when I learned it.

It's not ideal for every dive, but pretty necessary at a few points when the game makes you stretch your depth capacity.

Use the high capacity tanks if you have a mod station. Like, holy poo poo what a difference a full 60 seconds per tank rather than 30 makes. Personal weight doesn't effect seaglide speed either.

You still go plenty fast swimming with two total high capacity tanks, and three is still pretty nice if you have Ultra fins over Charge fins (putting away weapons/tools helps). Four total tanks will immediately bottom out your speed though :v:

I'm glad the charge fins exist, and I do use em at times. But when I don't need to use my physics guns regularly, just the fact my normal swim speed isn't garbage saves more juice for the seaglide than charge fins but using the seaglide for literally everything does.

So loving bullshit that the charge fins have zero speed benefit, literally zero :sigh:

emoji
Jun 4, 2004
If anything the charge fins should be slower if kinetic energy is being removed for power. I don't use them bc at that point in the game it's easy to stay flush with power or just swap out the battery from a different tool and I'd rather have speed.

Plek
Jul 30, 2009

emoji posted:

If anything the charge fins should be slower if kinetic energy is being removed for power. I don't use them bc at that point in the game it's easy to stay flush with power or just swap out the battery from a different tool and I'd rather have speed.

This. The charge fins sound really useful but then I remembered that I've been to the Aurora and have like 30 batteries on hand.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
The existence of battery chargers makes the charge fins redundant, especially now that a lot of the tools have been rebalanced to not use so much power (or any power at all in the case of the scanner). Just carry a spare or two and swap things out once you get back to your base. Just make sure you remove the battery and then put a new one in rather than just exchanging them directly, because that can cause batteries to vanish from your inventory without getting placed in the tool.

StrangeAeon
Jul 11, 2011

Just deleted my latest save file, even after clearing the caches multiple times it was just too buggy to play. Horrible pop-in issues and wrecks wouldn't spawn, or if they did they were usually empty.

I want to play this game so badly, but I don't know what else I can do to freaking stabilize it.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
Tried playing again last night. Pop in/fps issues didn't seem to bad initially, until I finished my seamoth, when the map loading couldn't keep up with moving in a straight line for any amount of time in it.

emoji
Jun 4, 2004
Supposedly the experimental branch has fixes for the multiple entity/wreck loading that destroyed performance esp while in Seamoth, but there are other instabilities in experimental obviously.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

emoji posted:

Supposedly the experimental branch has fixes for the multiple entity/wreck loading that destroyed performance esp while in Seamoth, but there are other instabilities in experimental obviously.

Yeah I tried the current experimental branch to see. The pop in felt a little smoother when transitioning to deeper waters (given I was normal swimming and not seamothing it) but couldn't really do much since apparently I'm too fat to fit into caves on that build right now.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
Everyone casually talks about going to the aurora like it's no big deal. The first time I tried to go straight there from the life pod (about 6 months ago) I got my seamoth ripped apart by a reaper, which then chased me down and murdered me while screaming at me. I never want to go back. Did they remove the reaper(s)?

redreader fucked around with this message at 11:23 on Feb 20, 2017

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Uhh. No.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
So, is there a way to get to and from the Aurora safely?

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Yes. People have managed it.

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another
The last time i went there I was able to go from the life pod to the front of the ship without seeing any leviathans. That said, the latest stable release has been pretty bad about keeping big creatures in the right biome.

Definitely make sure you are going towards the front of the ship and not the back (where the thrusters are), I'm pretty sure there are always leviathans back there.

Lonos Oboe
Jun 7, 2014
Yeah, there are a couple directly at the back, one front one along the port side but its in a big wide space near a downed pod. Stick close to the vines and more built up areas and keep an ear out for roars. Also, I have never been surprise attacked on the surface. If you stay up there it's hard for it to get a straight run at you.

My route is running straight from the pod 5 and approach the Aurora going through a few kelp zones. Start at the port aft section right at the lip where it drops down and you see or hear the aft Reaper. From there work up the side of the Aurora its mostly shallow and you should be able to work your way forward along there safe enough. You will probably see the one guarding the pod near the Aurora. If you follow my route, you should be able to see it, but stay out of its aggro range. Just keep near the ship and if it gets too close you might be able to get to the shore.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
Just use the Seaglide rather than the Seamoth and hug the side. Bring your tools and prepare to drown in batteries.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
Thanks, everyone apart from thread autist Zesty Crab Legs. I'll try to visit the aurora for the first time now.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Once you fix the drat reactor and radiation filters out, life gets much easier because you can wear one of the other specialty suits anywhere you want. You're also guaranteed full scans of a Prawn suit in there too, among whatever other fragments you can find.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

redreader posted:

Thanks, everyone apart from thread autist Zesty Crab Legs. I'll try to visit the aurora for the first time now.

Pretty aggressive for a guy who is afraid of a video game. Perhaps if you applied that 6 months ago you would have found your way to the Aurora.

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

The dick-waving dipshittery never gets old, oh boy :jerkbag:

Anyway, is there even a halfway decent, readable map to where poo poo is? Getting lost in the dark on the ocean floor looking for a hole to progress isn't fun anymore.

Cathair
Jan 7, 2008

redreader posted:

It's really not a big deal. Just stick to the bottom or the surface, don't hang around in the middle where you can be surprised from multiple angles, keep your eyes open and don't drive like a grandma. You'll be fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Zesty Crab Legs posted:

Pretty aggressive for a guy who is afraid of a video game. Perhaps if you applied that 6 months ago you would have found your way to the Aurora.

Christ, you're a dick.