Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

seems more like code injection op

:golfclap:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

pr0zac posted:

i'm kinda confused what exactly the point you're trying to make is?

like sure, for 99% of attack scenarios for 99% of people a SATA password is probably perfectly secure, this has nothing to do with it requiring NSA level ability to circumvent, simply that its usually just not worth the trouble for most people's data

its definitely not as secure as FDE though, even if that fact is only being demonstrated theoretically, and using FDE isn't any more of a hassle so I don't really understand what you're making a stand about?

the point was originally that sata passwords are probably good enough for people running windows home user editions, which do not come with bitlocker FDE, and who do not want to have to rely on third party FDE.

any important machine would of course at least have a pro edition, and thus have bitlocker built in, negating a need to bother with sata passwords.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Jewel posted:

continuing on from the bitcoin CI, a great one i just saw on twitter

https://github.com/auchenberg/volkswagen

lol

conceptually similar to the eyepyramid vm detection; should we just call environmental detection and subsequent behavior modification "vdubbing" from now on?

burning swine
May 26, 2004

Midjack posted:

should we just call environmental detection and subsequent behavior modification "vdubbing" from now on?

I like this idea

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Do physical security fuckups qualify for this thread?

quote:

A group of 11 people went through an unmanned TSA security gate at John F. Kennedy International Airport and are now believed to have boarded flights, according to NBC News investigative reporter Tom Winter, citing officials.

quote:

Winter said on Twitter at least three of the 11 people set off the metal detector when going through the gate, as seen on a review of police surveillance footage.

quote:

Sources tell NBC News, TSA officials, "did not notify the Port Authority Police until two hours after breach occurred." ... When they were finally notified, Port Authority cops flooded the terminal equipped with surveillance photos of the travelers, but none of them could be found, the sources said.

vodkat
Jun 30, 2012

cannot legally be sold as vodka

lolé

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
tsayyy lmao

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

stole this for the subject of an internal email

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

when you gaze behind the security theater curtain.

in a better world this would lead to a purging of public/private partnerships and corruption charges. in our currently the gayest of worlds, prepare for full cavity searches being standard for "enhanced" interrogation of domestic travelers.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

rjmccall posted:

stole this for the subject of an internal email

im so honored

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop
I've got an Internet of poo poo fuckup in the making.

I was asked to look at their proposed encryption flow for a device ~~with a chip in it~~ to talk to cellphones.

It was as good as you can imagine.

AES is good, right?

* random key using random(). On embedded. You might as well just make it a compile-time constant.
* encrypt using a ~~~secret~~~ fixed key, the same in every unit shipped.
* send that to the other side.
* encrypt all traffic using that "shared secret'.
* ... with AES. Just AES, so I'm going to go out on a limb and guess ECB.

I'm explaining to them exactly how loving awful that is, why they want a proper key exchange protocol and why they need a real AEAD instead of just saying "protected by AES".

Unfortunately, I don't normally roll-my-own, I use vetted poo poo from experts so I'd want to double-check myself when putting the pieces together.

My suggested improvements:
Analog noise source feeding to an ADC, put that output into something like arc4random and use THAT for the keys.
Implement proper KEX using ECDHE or something suited for embedded.
Use an AEAD construct properly instead of AES in ECB. (EAX, maybe, to re-use the AES hardware block on the chip)
Use crypto implementations vetted time-based side-channel attacks.

I just know I'm going to become "the crypto expert" on this project, smdh. I'm "expert" in that I know some of the worst poo poo not to do. How hosed is my suggestion/am I?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

what's the mcu?

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

Plaster Town Cop

hobbesmaster posted:

what's the mcu?

Was a bigger xmega, may be going to a STM32 for this. (And because Microchip bought Atmel and the prices all doubled overnight)

E: without getting into identifiable information, it's a Thing That Opens With A Keypad that is getting turned into a TTOWAK-Or-Phone.

Harik fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Feb 21, 2017

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

stm32? its easier to do it right

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
lol, an iot safe?

loving amazing

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

infernal machines posted:

lol, an iot safe?

loving amazing

More like unsafe.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

haw haw i bet teh secfuck has a smaller secfuck inside guys

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

Plaster Town Cop

It's got CHACHA20-POLY1305 for AEAD but everything else is piece-parts.

I don't trust them to put the piece-parts together correctly, they weren't even generating keys properly. So there's no _just_do_it_right() call that handles RNG seeding, KEX and AEAD for them.

My original suggestion is only slightly modified:
Entropy source (HW if they have it, otherwise sample a noise source a few thousand times and properly key expand the 10-bit values)
use the STM32 crypto library for key generation
use the library for KEX (I like EC25519 but we'll profile to see which is fastest)
use CHACHA20-POLY1305 AEAD instead of naive AES ECB.

Any remaining footguns?

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

Plaster Town Cop

infernal machines posted:

lol, an iot safe?

loving amazing

It's funny now until it joins a botnet and DDOSs the forums.

flakeloaf posted:

You have no loving idea how right you are.

I'm under no illusions this won't be a catastrofuck, the command protocol I shot down was full of direct unauthenticated-to-priveleged fuckups because they trusted the ~~app~~ instead of assuming it was hostile. I'm just trying to turn a 5-acre tire fire into a dumpster fire.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Harik posted:

It's got CHACHA20-POLY1305 for AEAD but everything else is piece-parts.

I don't trust them to put the piece-parts together correctly, they weren't even generating keys properly. So there's no _just_do_it_right() call that handles RNG seeding, KEX and AEAD for them.

My original suggestion is only slightly modified:
Entropy source (HW if they have it, otherwise sample a noise source a few thousand times and properly key expand the 10-bit values)
use the STM32 crypto library for key generation
use the library for KEX (I like EC25519 but we'll profile to see which is fastest)
use CHACHA20-POLY1305 AEAD instead of naive AES ECB.

Any remaining footguns?

if you want more foolproof mbed tls has you covered

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

the only problem is...

quote:

mbed TLS (formerly known as PolarSSL) makes it trivially easy for developers to include cryptographic and SSL/TLS capabilities in their (embedded) products, facilitating this functionality with a minimal coding footprint.

sounds like a challenge. someone is going to push keys of straight 0s into production

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

yessssss

:getin:

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

also this.

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

Plaster Town Cop
Jesus you guys, nobody's pointing out the glaring MitM attack I left open? That's a pretty big secfuck.

Added a signature to the KEX.

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS

i want to know more

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE
Word On The Street is that some projects pick up every hitchhiker they see/have their CI run on every commit

Jimmy Carter fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Feb 21, 2017

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

flakeloaf posted:

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Jimmy Carter posted:

Word On The Street is that some projects pick up every hitchhiker they see/have their CI run on every commit

i thought that's what this bot literally is exploiting though, that that's what a lot of projects do as part of their automatic "is this PR valid" check?

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

ate all the Oreos posted:

i thought that's what this bot literally is exploiting though, that that's what a lot of projects do as part of their automatic "is this PR valid" check?

yeah many projects are set up to use a service like TravisCI to auto-build PRs without any developer interaction. some jerk projects like swift think running arbitrary code without any review isn't a great idea, so you have to wait around for a committer to come by and push a button.

tradeoffs :shrug:

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

Plaster Town Cop

ultramiraculous posted:

yeah many projects are set up to use a service like TravisCI to auto-build PRs without any developer interaction. some jerk projects like swift think running arbitrary code without any review isn't a great idea, so you have to wait around for a committer to come by and push a button.

tradeoffs :shrug:

For the most part you can just whitelist the guys who send you PRs all the time, so you only need to manually approve random yokels. That also makes a distinction between "mostly trusted" and "hey, we should check this guy out first" to avoid the temptation to just mash approve and grab a coffee to see which waiting PRs are going to be trivially rejected.

I'm just waiting for some dumb node thing to get replaced with a bitcoin miner and have it deployed on every netflix server automatically, since webdevs have still failed to learn that lesson.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

Harik posted:

I've got an Internet of poo poo fuckup in the making.

I was asked to look at their proposed encryption flow for a device ~~with a chip in it~~ to talk to cellphones.

It was as good as you can imagine.

AES is good, right?

* random key using random(). On embedded. You might as well just make it a compile-time constant.
* encrypt using a ~~~secret~~~ fixed key, the same in every unit shipped.
* send that to the other side.
* encrypt all traffic using that "shared secret'.
* ... with AES. Just AES, so I'm going to go out on a limb and guess ECB.

I'm explaining to them exactly how loving awful that is, why they want a proper key exchange protocol and why they need a real AEAD instead of just saying "protected by AES".

Unfortunately, I don't normally roll-my-own, I use vetted poo poo from experts so I'd want to double-check myself when putting the pieces together.

My suggested improvements:
Analog noise source feeding to an ADC, put that output into something like arc4random and use THAT for the keys.
Implement proper KEX using ECDHE or something suited for embedded.
Use an AEAD construct properly instead of AES in ECB. (EAX, maybe, to re-use the AES hardware block on the chip)
Use crypto implementations vetted time-based side-channel attacks.

I just know I'm going to become "the crypto expert" on this project, smdh. I'm "expert" in that I know some of the worst poo poo not to do. How hosed is my suggestion/am I?

lmbo

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

some unironically great posts on this page nice work everyone

invision
Mar 2, 2009

I DIDN'T GET ENOUGH RAPE LAST TIME, MAY I HAVE SOME MORE?

cis autodrag posted:

Thanks for whoever started this whole discussion. Been looking at CI/DevOps/buzzwordbingopipeline stuff at work and this has sparked some conversation.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

invision posted:

Thanks for whoever started this whole discussion. Been looking at CI/DevOps/buzzwordbingopipeline stuff at work and this has sparked some conversation.

keep in mind that ci is actually good if it is not configured stupidly. you just have to do different things when it's a public repo vs a private one and this bitcoin thing was targetting ci setups that were treating github as a trustable source of commits. if all your version control is internal it's actually pretty valuable for forcing dumbass devs to make sure their code actually compiles before they commit it.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
theres no reason to wait until it compiles to commit if you have a reason to commit. the CI system will only spit out compiled artifacts so it doesn't matter if a build breaks cause you should be using the last successfully built artifact instead of the source for the artifact.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Shaggar posted:

theres no reason to wait until it compiles to commit if you have a reason to commit. the CI system will only spit out compiled artifacts so it doesn't matter if a build breaks cause you should be using the last successfully built artifact instead of the source for the artifact.

you would be shocked how often people will commit code that completely prevents a whole project from building. if your ci works right they will get an angry email from the ci server when the build fails.

Doom Mathematic
Sep 2, 2008
It does actually matter if a build breaks, because then you can't build.

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender

quote:

Dear OSI bean dip,

In recent weeks, we have observed some unusual activity on select PC Plus accounts. Our investigation indicates that the PC Plus system has been the target of fraud, resulting in some members having their points stolen. We believe the principal cause is passwords exposed through third party websites or weak passwords.

We take the security of your account and personal information very seriously. In order to better protect this information, we have reset your password. We need you to create a new, unique one, even if you did so recently, following these steps:
- Click here by S‍un‍da‍y‍, Fe‍b‍ru‍ar‍y 2‍6, 2‍0‍1‍7 and follow the instructions to create a new password; OR
- At any time, go to P‍C‍Pl‍us‍.‍c‍a and click the "sign in" option. Then follow the "forgot my password" link and directions to create a new password
- NOTE: You cannot create a new password on the PC Plus app, and must follow the steps above on our website
Please contact us immediately if you notice missing points or other unauthorized activity.

i only need an account to do online grocery orders

that said the rumour is that they're unsure how they got breached even though it seems to be based on previous breach data (ie: from Ashley Madison or whatever) being used to get access

invision
Mar 2, 2009

I DIDN'T GET ENOUGH RAPE LAST TIME, MAY I HAVE SOME MORE?

Doom Mathematic posted:

It does actually matter if a build breaks, because then you can't build.

You can always build in the shaggar zone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Shaggar posted:

you're assuming CI is only used for spitting out artifacts, which is really limiting what a good setup can do. I have it so if a dev tags one of their branches the CI will pick it up and run it's tests for them, so they can repeatedly run different tests on feature branches in their own sandbox ahead of time to know before even creating the pull request into dev if it'll pass. it doesn't auto-test on every feature branch commit, only on main commits to the dev branch (which no one should ever commit anything directly to unless your group is tiny)

• Locked thread