Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

melon cat posted:

I work with a lot of Grade 7-8 students, and let me tell you- there seems to be this weird, persistent interest in Marine Biology (is that at all similar to marine Archeology? Maybe. I don't know). In every class I've ever taught in, there's always a good handful of students who say that they want to become a Marine Biologist. And whenever they say it, they always say it with a smirk like it's the mightiest of career decisions. So they don't just say,

"And when I start college, I'll be studying Marine Biology."

They say:

"And when I start college, I'll be studying Marine Biology.:smug:"

Who planted this idea into generations of young teenagers heads? And whenever I prod them for details on it, they can never tell me what the field actually involves. At this point, I'm convinced that they say it because it's a smart-sounding thing to study (and cool to brag about, I guess?). It's like all of their parents were George Costanza and told them that Marine Biology is life.

Do the girls still walk around with stuff covered in dolphins? My sister couldn't get enough of Space Dolphins and now one of her degrees is in marine biology.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Weatherman posted:

You mean archaeology and praxeology.

I feel like I'm missing a joke here...

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

Ornamented Death posted:

You're confusing archaeology and paleontology.

Look I have a big stack of National Geographic back issues. I'm pretty sure I know what I'm talking about.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Switchback
Jul 23, 2001

I've known a couple marine biologists who are still in their field.

One has a job in sustainability in Philippines, which is in the spirit of what a typical marine biologist lives for. She doesn't make enough money and is supported by her dad. Another friend is a dolphin trainer at Universal Studios, where he trains smart animals to do dumb tricks out of their small, artificial enclosures. I met another marine biologist as a marine mammal observer for offshore oil & gas. It's well paying but terribly boring, probably one of the better career options available. Oh and I know a guy who manages commercial fish farms.

There are career options for marine biologists but they aren't usually what a 12 year old is dreaming about. They just want to swim with dolphins, like how the land version 12 year old girl wants to ride horses.

(e: I know one of those jobs is literally "swim with dolphins" but it's in a kind of soul destroying way, not swimming with wild-but-humanized Flipper)

Switchback fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Feb 20, 2017

My PIN is 4826
Aug 30, 2003

melon cat posted:

:words: marine biologists

Agreeing with the smug bastards observation - many of them are just kids who went on an ~~awesome holiday~~ where they learned to dive and decided that there's nothing awesomer.

I had to suffer living with a group of them one year at university. However, the schadenfreude was all mine in the end as I saw them coming into my postgrad microbiology lab year after year to do their projects, coming to the realisation that their subject covers microbiology, and that they will not be high-fiving dolphins for their dissertation.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

The goddamn "scientists" who go in to work at those stupid fish/animal prisons are the worst. Like really? Who are you trying to fool?

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Switchback posted:

I've known a couple marine biologists who are still in their field.

One has a job in sustainability in Philippines, which is in the spirit of what a typical marine biologist lives for. She doesn't make enough money and is supported by her dad. Another friend is a dolphin trainer at Universal Studios, where he trains smart animals to do dumb tricks out of their small, artificial enclosures. I met another marine biologist as a marine mammal observer for offshore oil & gas. It's well paying but terribly boring, probably one of the better career options available. Oh and I know a guy who manages commercial fish farms.

There are career options for marine biologists but they aren't usually what a 12 year old is dreaming about. They just want to swim with dolphins, like how the land version 12 year old girl wants to ride horses.

(e: I know one of those jobs is literally "swim with dolphins" but it's in a kind of soul destroying way, not swimming with wild-but-humanized Flipper)

Giggling at the idea that all the future marine biologists are some kind of aquatic subspecies :3:

I went to high school with a guy who grew up to be an honest-to-god digging in the dirt paleontologist, and while I'm sure he's not getting rich off it it's incredibly cool to know even one person who got to be what he wanted when he was five years old.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

quote:

who got to be what he wanted when he was five years old.

Five-year-old me wanted to either be a pirate in an ice cream truck or a ballet-dancing barber running a barbershop called "Spin and Snip." Needless to say, my life did not go as planned.

Sic Semper Goon
Mar 1, 2015

Eu tu?

:zaurg:

Switchblade Switcharoo

Sundae posted:

Five-year-old me wanted to either be a pirate in an ice cream truck or a ballet-dancing barber running a barbershop called "Spin and Snip." Needless to say, my life did not go as planned.

I wanted to work in a video game store.

My prick of a ex-worker managed this, but I forsook the dream.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

Accretionist posted:

Do the girls still walk around with stuff covered in dolphins? My sister couldn't get enough of Space Dolphins and now one of her degrees is in marine biology.

Is your sister Lobo?

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Sic Semper Goon posted:

I wanted to work in a video game store.

I wanted to work in the video game industry.

BWM: working in the video game industry

SIHappiness
Apr 26, 2008
I'll chime in on the Marine Archaeology front. I work in the oil and gas business, and federal offshore oil and gas leases (and the associated laws) require archaeological surveys and reports. I've seen a few of these reports; apparently a lot of the shallow water areas weren't submerged during the last ice age so they basically talk about the known Native American settlements in the area and any subsea formations that could potentially be e.g. a midden or something similar. They also include discussion of shipwrecks and the like, as undersea flowlines and pipelines may need to be routed around them if they're present. A brief overview is here.

I imagine the reports are 96% copy/paste of a form report, but at least it's not all pretending to be Indiana Jones with a Scuba tank. As with marine biologists in oil and gas, I imagine it requires a fair amount of non-exciting boat time away from family and is subject to highly cyclical nature of the business. A friend was a marine biologist who worked on seismic survey vessels. She is now an insurance agent because she just couldn't get enough work after the 2014 downturn. The closer you are to the wellhead, the quicker your job disappears. I can't imagine ever making a go of it with $160K+ in student loans.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost
As for living in a landlocked area and wanting to study marine biology, a lot of colleges have reciprocity agreements where you can get in-state tuition studying at another facility that actually has the degree you want.

Doesn't make it not a dumb idea, but there non-expensive avenues available.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
https://www.reddit.com/r/legaladvice/comments/5v4dww/4300_stolen_from_credit_card_by_child_family/

quote:

A young family member used my credit card to buy £4,300 worth of Fifa points from the xbox live market place. I discovered the theft when thousands of pounds went from my current account to pay off the credit card via direct debit.

My family member had access to my credit card after I used it to buy him Xbox live gold membership on his account. It was for this reason that I did not aim to recoup my losses from the Xbox live market place - It was my mistake of inadvertently giving a child access to my credit card (please don't rub it in - it hurts to think about).

My credit card had a limit of £600. The credit card company raised this to £2,700 over time without my direction. Then the theft happened.

My question is: Can I claim the money lost over the £600? I would not have lost more than this had the credit card company not raised my limit on their own initiative.

Thanks!

Chargeback?

quote:

I am out of the 120 day limit now... Crap I wish I knew about chargeback at the time of discovery, I might have just about been in the limit.

Repayment?

quote:

Since it happened I've took him to shops trying to get him a paper round. Wrote CV with him to help. No joy there.

Then the family and I came up with a plan where he would wash cars to help pay it back. His mum agreed to make sure he followed through with it. I called every day, he reported washing cars for £5 each, I came by a week later to check and he had washed zero. He's a liar and his mum covered for him (complicit in the problem).

We have made him mow our lawns and pick our weeds on a few occasions but it is a monumental effort on my behalf to drive over and spend my weekend(s) going door to door with him to help him work off his debt.

I realise this sounds pathetic! There is simply no solid family core around him to discipline him. Sounds like you had great parents.

quote:

I live an hour away from him. I made him go door to door washing cars. He told me over the phone he had washed one car, two cars three etc. When I visited on the weekend he had infact washed zero (he lies a lot). I physically took him to neighbours and washed their cars with him. Cant force him to do it while i'm away (95% of the time) and no dad in the picture to discipline him. I've got him to wash ten cars with golithic effort.

Cops?

quote:

I've seriously considered doing this. My mother talked me out of it as she said it would be too much for my elderly grandparents. It's all a real poo poo show to be honest, has put a real strain on the family.

:shrug:

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/5v7q6b/being_sued_for_the_first_time_for_credit_card_debt/

quote:

Being sued for the first time for Credit Card Debt

I'm 21 and currently being sued by Barclays Bank Delaware in the amount of $3,800. I don't have $3,800 to pay them and I've never been to court in my life. I was just served papers this morning that I have two weeks to appear. I'm wondering what my options are? My grandfather is an attorney, but I'm not sure what bringing him along would do for me. It's not false debt, It's debt from paying off my University. I needed $3500 to re-enroll in classes so I just googled a credit card to pay for it and 18 months later, I'm here. Do I just show up to the court house and tell them I don't have the money to pay for it? I left my job two weeks ago and currently about to transfer cities to start a new job ($14/hr) so it's basically nothing. I just feel like I'm in a huge grey area. What do I need to do? Thanks.

:cripes:

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
Wait they GIS'd a credit card and used that to pay their tuition? And that worked?

Edit: Ok they got a credit card, then shredded it and forgot about it. That makes marginally more sense.

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX

you didn't quote the best part of that thread, when he replied in the comments with

quote:

I luckily am expecting a liter of AKC dogs that will be ready within the next two months so I will have more than enough to pay the debt.

not horses but close

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Co-signer saga woes #291

quote:

How to I resign from being a Co-signer? Please help me. I live in Ontario, Canada

Hi, guys. I have a bit of a problem how do I resign from a CAR Co-signer contract. I have a friend who asked me to be his co-signer and told me that he could afford it, and I'm so stupid for even falling for it.Little did I know he had hasn't been paying anything and his bank keeps calling me and saying he had missed a payment and they will soon take the car away and they could file a case against me if he does not pay. In fact , it did happened today a Bailiff came today and warned me that the car will put taken away from him and will put into auction and whatever the balance is will get paid by me or him, and my friend does not have the money to pay. The Bailiff also mentioned that my friend had put down the wrong address that's why he came to find me to clarify the address. This is worrying me because I'm just a working student with minimal money to support myself. I know I'm stupid for even agreeing to be his co-signer. Please Help me!

https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/5v6ow1/how_to_i_resign_from_being_a_cosigner_please_help/

I just like this forum post even though it doesn't go anywhere:

quote:

Crowdsourceing my mortgage?

Can I do it?

There's also a post on Reddit right now asking for job advice in the fashion industry to pay off their 140k in student loans on a 27k income from their current job. I think that fashion degrees are the women's equivalent of the B.S. in Game Design where following your dream ruins your life forever.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Feb 21, 2017

Harry
Jun 13, 2003

I do solemnly swear that in the year 2015 I will theorycraft my wallet as well as my WoW

For a second there I thought he just googled a credit card number and used that.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Harry posted:

For a second there I thought he just googled a credit card number and used that.

https://twitter.com/needadebitcard

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Zo posted:

you didn't quote the best part of that thread, when he replied in the comments with

not horses but close

The real BWM is the people who pay thousands of dollars for a dog that can't either drive a car or play basketball.

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

lmao that's awesome.

I remember one time in grad school I was at the library and a guy in the adjacent study carrel was clearly making some kind of bank transaction so I wrote down his name, birthday, SSN, and credit card info as he read them out loud. After he concluded his phone call I handed him the paper with his info and said "hey, you might not want to say all these things out loud in public in the future."

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

melon cat posted:

I work with a lot of Grade 7-8 students, and let me tell you- there seems to be this weird, persistent interest in Marine Biology (is that at all similar to marine Archeology? Maybe. I don't know). In every class I've ever taught in, there's always a good handful of students who say that they want to become a Marine Biologist. And whenever they say it, they always say it with a smirk like it's the mightiest of career decisions. So they don't just say,

"And when I start college, I'll be studying Marine Biology."

They say:

"And when I start college, I'll be studying Marine Biology.:smug:"

Who planted this idea into generations of young teenagers heads? And whenever I prod them for details on it, they can never tell me what the field actually involves. At this point, I'm convinced that they say it because it's a smart-sounding thing to study (and cool to brag about, I guess?). It's like all of their parents were George Costanza and told them that Marine Biology is life.

That was the case back when I was in school except it was the default choice of every single girl who didn't actually think about it too hard

Blue_monday
Jan 9, 2004

mind the teeth while you're going down

Accretionist posted:

What are utilities like for a remote cabin? And nearest hospital?

Cost of insurance, or coverage for fire. I don't know what its like in the states/anywhere else but I know once or twice a year I hear of a house fire where the home owners either don't have insurance or they didn't pay their fire dues so the fireman watched their house burn. I feel bad but I have little sympathy.

ate all the Oreos posted:

I wonder how many kids think archaeology is like Indiana Jones.

I mean if that's true then marine archaeology must be that but you fight mermaid nazis instead right :downs:

Like with most 'glamorized' professions I always hope people realize how boring or low paying their 'dream career' is.

Splish
Sep 17, 2008
I'm starting my first full time, permanent job in archaeology tomorrow, and I'm 28. And I think I'm ahead of the curve there. Most jobs are temporary project-based work, living out of hotels, finding a new project every couple months. They can pay decently, last project I was making about $24 an hour, and I worked one project where we got $750/week, cash per diem (and about 20 hours/week OT). But that lifestyle is only sustainable for a few years for most people.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Splish posted:

I'm starting my first full time, permanent job in archaeology tomorrow, and I'm 28. And I think I'm ahead of the curve there. Most jobs are temporary project-based work, living out of hotels, finding a new project every couple months. They can pay decently, last project I was making about $24 an hour, and I worked one project where we got $750/week, cash per diem (and about 20 hours/week OT). But that lifestyle is only sustainable for a few years for most people.

What do you actually do, is it all very carefully digging up pieces of broken pottery with tiny brushes for hours on end or are you the person who takes the already dug up broken pottery and writes a ton of stuff about where this particular shard came from, or what

Splish
Sep 17, 2008

What do you actually do, is it all very carefully digging up pieces of broken pottery with tiny brushes for hours on end or are you the person who takes the already dug up broken pottery and writes a ton of stuff about where this particular shard came from, or what

The people going from project to project are generally the ones doing the field work (usually pedestrian survey/site identification), whereas the mythical full time employees oversee the fieldwork and then write up the reports. This is generally done for a consulting firm, with the clients being oil/gas/energy companies that need to comply with federal environmental regulations.

So, archaeology is BWM in two ways: lack of full time jobs, and pretty much the entire industry is built on regulations that are perpetually in danger from republican lawmakers. Yes, the day after the election was loving brutal in the office.

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

AndrewP posted:

When I was young and dumb in college I filled out an application for a Discover card to get a free Papa John's pizza. The hat was probably worth more.

In my case, it was for a 2-piece meal from Church's. The chicken wasn't even that good.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Splish posted:

The people going from project to project are generally the ones doing the field work (usually pedestrian survey/site identification), whereas the mythical full time employees oversee the fieldwork and then write up the reports. This is generally done for a consulting firm, with the clients being oil/gas/energy companies that need to comply with federal environmental regulations.

So, archaeology is BWM in two ways: lack of full time jobs, and pretty much the entire industry is built on regulations that are perpetually in danger from republican lawmakers. Yes, the day after the election was loving brutal in the office.

Thanks, I know it's derail-y but I really like hearing about day to day stuff done on more unusual jobs, like a while ago someone had a thread about just working at the LHC and while it was full of cool science stuff the stuff I found most interesting was just how they did things in the control room or around the office or whatever :shobon:

e: also none of them had heard the "Large Hard-on Collider" joke until we told the op in that thread :laugh:

Shame Boy fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Feb 21, 2017

Splish
Sep 17, 2008

Thanks, I know it's derail-y but I really like hearing about day to day stuff done on more unusual jobs, like a while ago someone had a thread about just working at the LHC and while it was full of cool science stuff the stuff I found most interesting was just how they did things in the control room or around the office or whatever :shobon:

e: also none of them had heard the "Large Hard-on Collider" joke until we told the op in that thread :laugh:

Oh, I got BWM talk. We end up in a ton of small towns for projects, and I once encountered a guy in his mid-twenties who

a) spent three years in the Dakotas making bank in the oil fields (six figures per year, allegedly)
b) didn't pay tax on any of it, because "if you REALLY read the Constitution, it doesn't say you have to"
c) was in town trying to get on a drilling crew because his money was almost gone

Not to mention that no matter how often I've heard coworkers bitch about the lack of benefits, I only know one other shovelbum with an IRA.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Domestic Amuse posted:

In my case, it was for a 2-piece meal from Church's. The chicken wasn't even that good.

Two pieces is not a meal! :mad:
/
:btroll:

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

Ornamented Death posted:

I feel like I'm missing a joke here...

You did. Blugu64 was obviously making a joke, and you missed it. So I thought I'd see if I could prod you into realising. And you didn't. Sorry about your :spergin: :v:

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Re: Marine Biology.

I recall in the early 90's, the pretty/popular girls in high school would pine for psychology degrees and the less popular/more brainy girls would pine for marine biology degrees mostly because they binged on SeaQuest DSV and had huge girlycrushes on Jonathan Brandis. This was in CA, so marine biology was definitely popular over at UC Santa Cruz.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
When I was in high school, my school offered a choice between AP Bio, or Marine Bio.

Everyone gave me a funny look for taking AP bio. I never really thought about it again til now but I'm laughing thinking about it. All those 16 year old girls going batshit over that class like it was the coolest thing ever, I didn't get it at the time and I still don't get it now.

potee
Jul 23, 2007

Or, you know.

Not fine.
I think it has something to do with dolphins, which if they were a thing outside of aquariums would absolutely be the aquatic version of the proverbial BWM horse.

Brb getting some VC funding for my Dolphin loan startup

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Sometimes weirdly esoteric degrees can become very GWM.

I have a friend who got a degree in "Emergency Management" that was created in 1999 or so. He graduated about two years after 9/11 and right out of college got a job offer to move to New Hampshire and run their disaster management office at age 22 for 90k a year + Pension + State Benefits + Student Loan Aid.

He is still there and the cost of living 30 minutes outside of Nashua is dirt cheap.

Basically, 9/11 can be good with money.

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.
Part of it for me was that the sea was the cool and exotic thing that I had never seen, living thousands of miles from the ocean. I wanted to go on cool trips and see all the fish and whales and sharks that looked so awesome in those nature shows on the Discovery Channel. My parents even bought this $200 marine biology textbook with lots of cool photos after I saw it as a 10 year old.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:
If I would have even HEARD OF systems engineering as a teenager, I don't think I would have ever ended up being an anesthesiologist, but as is I'm cursed to walk this Earth knocking out the frail and sick to be hacked to pieces by my colleagues, the surgeons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

The whole marine biologist thing was around when I was a kid too, but to be fair my school was something like 10 minutes from the beach.

• Locked thread