Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Wow, Lana is really dedicated to the ideal that it's all-important that someone gets convicted of a crime, but completely irrelevant who.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
So what the hell could Detective Goodman have found out? Was he also digging up evidence in an old case at the last goddamn second? You'd think somebody would have started making the move a month early or something.

Wipfmetz
Oct 12, 2007

Sitzen ein oder mehrere Wipfe in einer Lore, so kann man sie ueber den Rand der Lore hinausschauen sehen.

Glazius posted:

So what the hell could Detective Goodman have found out? Was he also digging up evidence in an old case at the last goddamn second? You'd think somebody would have started making the move a month early or something.
He realized that the true knife was the friends he made during that case and it was within him all the time!

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
I can't believe Bruce Goodman is going to die next week.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Wipfmetz posted:

He realized that the true knife was the friends he made during that case and it was within him all the time!

Nah, it was just all of his blood.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Case 5 - Rise From the Ashes
Trial (Day 4) - Part 1

: (This is the Defendant Lobby all right... but there's no defendant. I've been trying to reach Lana all morning. Where could she be? And where's Ema, for that matter? It almost seems as if...)
: Something's been happening behind the scenes...

: Knowing you, you've already figured it out...

: Well... I have a pretty strong hunch.

: (Looks like I'm not the only one who's figured it out.)
: You know, the only reason this trial didn't reach a verdict yesterday... is because there was still room for doubt on this ID record.
: If that number does belong to whom you suspect, then no doubt will remain. After all, he hasn't been officially charged with anything.
: True... Not yet.
: In any event, once all doubt has been removed from that list, I can call for a ruling
: on the defendant. Five minutes after the trial starts... Lana will be found guilty.
: But she didn't do it!
: I figured you'd say as much.
: That's why I came here... to hear what you have to say.
: (This is the first itme he's ever done something like this...) Lana's hiding something, and the only way we'll ever know the truth... is to draw it out of her.
: The "truth"?
: Everything goes back to the SL-9 Incident.
: Don't be stupid! Today's the last day of the trial.
: We don't have time to reminisce about the past!
: That depends on you.
: ...!
: If she's found guilty, you'll lose your only chance to find out what really happened.
: ...
: I'll think about it. See you in court, Wright.

He leaves.

: (This is it. If I'm ever going to find out what Chief Gant has on her, it's now!)

: Court is now in session for the trial of Ms. Lana Skye.
: The defense is ready, Your Honor.
: The prosecution is ready, Your Honor.
: Normally this is when the prosecution puts forth its opening statement,
: ?
: but before that, the police chief has a proposal to make.
: (Chief Gant...!)
: Mornin' folks. How's everyone doing? Hey, Udgey. Been back to the pool yet?
: No, I've been drowning enough as it is in my work.
: Ho! That's a good one! Don't think I can top that!
: If you don't mind me asking, Chief,
: exactly what is this "proposal" of yours?

: Lana... that is to say, the defendant,
: has asked me if she could speak directly to the court.
: (She wants to do what!?)
: Having heard what she intends to say, I feel she should be granted her request.
: In the end, it should save everyone a lot of time and trouble.

: What's this all about, defendant?
: I'd just like to make one simple request, and I'll be finished.
: Well then? What's your request?
: Your Honor, I'd like you to put an immediate end to this trial.
: Huh!?
: I confess to all charges against me. On February 21 of this year, I murdered Detective Bruce Goodman...

: You can't!
: Your Honor. The defendant's claim does not change the defense's plea!
: In that case, Mr. Wright,
: I no longer require your services.
: But Lana!
: Your Honor. I hereby forfeit my right to an attorney. The prosecution may lack direct evidence against me,
: but it has sufficiently proven its case through testimony and circumstantial evidence. I would like you to render your verdict now, if you please.
: Hmm...
: Well, the defendant certainly has the right to self representation...
: Her request is legally valid, although this is an unprecedented situation.

: Indeed, it appears there's no further need to continue this trial...
: even if Mr. Wright may feel otherwise.
: (This can't be happening!)
: It appears the time for the verdict has arrived. The court finds the defendant...

: M-Mr. Edgeworth!?
: The prosecution has not yet proven the defendant guilty beyond reasonable doubt.

: Any ruling at this stage would certainly be premature.

: I understand this is a difficult time for you,
: but why don't you just be a good little boy and keep your mouth shut, hmm?

: Hmph.
: I don't think I care for your tone... Chief Gant.
: What?
: Creating another fabrication to cover up your past mistakes...
: Sorry, but I'm no longer the naive little "boy" you would have me be.
: With this sudden confession from the defendant...
: It's obvious to me some kind of deal was struck behind the scenes.
: Some kind of "deal," hm?
: Not everyone operates as you do... Worthy.
: ... Hmph.
: I thought so. Your Honor. The prosecution would like to change its first witness.
: Oh? To whom...?
: As its first witness, the prosecution would like to call...
: Ms. Ema Skye!
: I request the court hears her testimony!

: Mr. Edgeworth! I am exercising my right to self representation. I don't think we need to contin-
: I don't care what you think, Ms. Skye.
: The exposure of truth sometimes results in tragedy... However!
: No matter how tragic the truth may be, it would be an even greater tragedy... to avert one's eyes from it.

: Very well. The court shall grant the prosecution's request.
: That's okay with you, right Chief Gant?
: Worthy...
: You'll live to regret this. Mark my words.
: Ms. Ema Skye. Please take the stand.
: (Looks like Edgeworth has decided to take the horse by the reins!)

: Now then, witness. Please state your name and occupation.
: Um... M-my name is Ema. Ema Skye.
: My occupation? I'm Lana's little sister, and I want to be a scientific investigator!
: Two years ago... you encountered the serial killer Joe Darke, of the "Joe Darke Killings." Is this correct?
: Yes.
: I'm trying my hardest to forget about that, though...
: I'm sorry,
: but I'm afraid I'm going to have to ask you to recall those events one more time.
: Mr. Edgeworth. Please remember this trial concerns the murder of Detective Goodman.
: Is an incident that was resolved two years ago really all that relevant?
: Yes. It most certainly is.
: W-well okay then!
: (He sure gives in fast...)
: Now...

: (The trip to yesteryear has finally begun...)

: It's a good thing you weren't harmed.
: I passed out...
: I don't remember much.

: That's understandable. However...
: please tell me, Mr. Edgeworth.
: What does this testimony have to do with Detective Goodman's murder?
: That will soon become apparent, Your Honor.
: (You've got to admire him for his courage, considering he has no evidence...)
: Very well! The defense may begin its cross examination.

: Two years ago, the defendant was a detective at the Police Department, correct?
: Yes. She was second in command under Chief Detective Gant.
: My sister...
: She was the best detective ever!

: Yes, I remember.
: Chief Detective Gant and Ms. Skye used to be quite the pair.
: I believe they shared the same office.
: That's right.
: I'd always sit at my sister's desk,

: I wanted to play it that day, too...
: The Police Department and the Prosecutor's Office held a ceremony that day.
: Lana promised to take me to dinner after she finished her work.

: A "man"...?
: Yes, Joe Darke.

: Joe Darke was brought in for questioning on the day of that ceremony.
: We were desperate to get anything on him that would lead to an arrest.
: When he saw his chance...
: he fled the room, right?
: Upon fleeing the room, Darke proceeded to take the elevator. He must have been in a panic
: because the elevator was going up.
: Then he ran into Skye and Gant's office.
: There was a lot of noise coming from outside, so I...
: opened up the door to have a look. That's when I saw...
: Him.

: What was the prosecutor doing there?
: That day, there were two people present during Darke's questioning: Detective Damon Gant, and Prosecutor Neil Marshall.
: (Gant was there too...?)
: Neil Marshall had just received the King of Prosecutors award.

: I assume that would also be why he was the first to run after Darke.
: When Darke grabbed me, I... I thought I was as good as dead.
: And thats when Prosecutor Marshall came running in?
: I... I don't clearly remember what happened then.
: But...

: Can you tell us about that?
: Mr. Marshall jumped on Darke. Just then...
: the lights went out.
: The lights?
: It was just about this time of year...
: There was a terrible storm going on, and lightning struck nearby.
: So the electricity went out?
: Wait a minute... If it was pitch dark in that room...
: you shouldn't have been able to see anything, right?
: Right, but just then lightning flashed again outside.
: That sudden flash left an unforgettable image of the scene in my mind...
: I see...
: I told the detective about what I saw then.
: The detective?

: So you spoke with Detective Goodman about this... two years ago.
: Yes.
: That's what's so scary about this trial.
: And you told Detective Goodman about what you saw?
: Yes, but...
: at the time, the words just wouldn't come out. That's why I drew a picture.
: (A picture... Yes, I think she mentioned that before.)

: This picture the witness drew...
: I believe it has a very important meaning.

: But the list of evidence I was given two years ago didn't contain a picture...

: Witness. Would you mind if we added this statement to your testimony?
: Y-yes, Your Honor.

: You drew a picture of the scene you witnessed, right?
: Yes. I wanted to do everything I could to help the investigation.
: I can still see it now... Whenever I close my eyes...

: yet I never received any picture.
: Perhaps the witness is mistaken?
: B-but I did draw it! I swear!
: I'm not just imagining it...
: (This picture that Ema drew... that reminds me!)
: (I guess I should check the evidence again...)
: Well anyway. Let's continue.
: This scene that imprinted an image in your mind...
: Can you please describe it to us?
: The man...

: That must have been
: a real shock.
: Even when I close my eyes, I can still see it just as clearly...
: Tell us...
: what were you doing at that moment?
: I believe you testified that Joe Darke was holding you hostage.
: When lightning struck and the lights went out,

: Hmm...
: I'm pretty sure I was watching them.

Loop.

: (Ema doesn't have any reason to lie...)
: (but Lana sure does.)
: (I need to get Ema to tell me as much about this as she can!)

Next time: Following the path.

beru04
May 4, 2013

Stop making me realise things.
God, I love Edgeworth in this case. :allears:

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013
Well, it's obvious what the next step is. And it's good to see Edgeworth pretty much being on our side here. Turns out you can have a good case without the prosecutor being actively hostile! Just have the actual criminal have power and the smarts to use it.

I can have moments of... eccentricity and sometimes be quite curious about things. Please forgive me if I do something foolish or rude.

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

I like how even though Lana just fired Phoenix, the prosecution runs the court and Edgeworth can just say "No, we're going to discuss a different case now, because reasons. Also he's still the defense."

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.

Gruckles posted:

I like how even though Lana just fired Phoenix, the prosecution runs the court and Edgeworth can just say "No, we're going to discuss a different case now, because reasons. Also he's still the defense."

It's consistent with everything to date.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Gruckles posted:

Edgeworth may not be underhanded like Von Karma, but he can still use his tactics.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Nobody has ever cared about 'reasonable doubt' before, I can't believe they're starting now :v:

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Edgeworth, my man!

:glomp:

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013

YggiDee posted:

Nobody has ever cared about 'reasonable doubt' before, I can't believe they're starting now :v:

Ah but you see, this time it's an opportunity for the prosecutor to show up the chief of police! How could he say no to an opportunity like that!

I can have moments of... eccentricity and sometimes be quite curious about things. Please forgive me if I do something foolish or rude.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
I get why people like Edgeworth now. :allears:

Malah
May 18, 2015

I've had enough wine to try braving some more of RFTA - full disclosure, I intently disliked the first half of this case due to a combination of its pointless convolution (yes, even for Phoenix Wright) and the character's gimmicks. Lana's mysteriousness wasn't paying off, Angel Starr overstayed her gimmick, and Marshall failed to really do anything for me. The vaguely shady bullshit going on was leading me more towards expecting a disappointing conclusion of some kind. Meekins getting more screen time only soured it further for me.

Trial Day 3, Part 2 was a prompt u-turn back into interesting and made this case one of the sharpest examples of "gets worse before it gets better" I've come across, considering that it's since redeemed itself in every aspect I previously despised. I actually give a drat about the cast, which went a long way towards making their gimmicks endearing or at least tolerable. Marshall was entertaining instead of bland once he got back on the stand, Lana got some overdue character development, and even Meekins was worth putting up with - though it probably helped that I didn't have to actually hear that loving megaphone. Ema went from "substitute off-brand Mia" (still charming) to someone I'm paying rather close attention to. Edgeworth's amazing as always, and the Gant/Lana/Edgeworth melodrama is lowkey hilarious, at least to my hosed up sense of humor. The only ball the writers have since badly dropped is with the details behind Joe Darke's kills - the last "murder" is going to blow up spectacularly, but the bunny-hopping murder spree is just disappointingly weak. Can't always get everything right, but still.

I can't expect Gant to live up to von Karma's meltdown, though I'm at least anticipating a far more satisfying conclusion to this than I was at the start. Lana is going down regardless of how this turns out, but Gant's going down with her, and he has further to fall than she does. I'm now hanging on every word of the updates and glad I gave this case another chance.

Edgeworth pulling Ema up on the stand has me uneasy more than anything else, since poo poo is obviously about to go down. Speculation: There isn't really anywhere else for this to go than that Darke, murderous creeper that he is, didn't kill Neil Marshall. I don't know if Gant was directly responsible for that death, but he's going to pull a page from von Karma's book and try to scapegoat Ema for Neil Marshall's murder as a smokescreen for the obvious tampering that went on with SL-9, which will obviously involve more tampering. Gant will have to play one hell of a trump card to even temporarily derail the court proceedings - Edgeworth is 100% done with his poo poo, so Gant's focus will probably shift to screwing with Uncle Phil, pressuring him into overriding Edgeworth, or even managing to pull him into Gant's corner entirely. As long as Gant manages to deflect attention from himself long enough to successfully throw Lana under the bus, he can deal with Edgeworth later.

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Edgeworth may not be underhanded like Von Karma, but he can still use his tactics.
I like the twist on that dynamic: Edgeworth, rather than Phoenix, now has to outmaneuver the crooked authority that's stacking the deck. That can't last, whether due to Gant or Uncle Phil's interference, but it'll be interesting to see how Edgeworth manages to give Phoenix enough of a lifeline to overcome whatever is about to blow this case to hell.

paragon1 posted:

I've liked Edgeworth since the moment he appeared, and he's only getting better with more screen time.

Malah fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Feb 21, 2017

Double Plus Undead
Dec 24, 2010

paragon1 posted:

Ever since Gant dropped that Edgy-boy line I've been hoping he'd lay the smackdown.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
For Christ's sake Edgeworth is testifying--

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Co-written by Mia's ghost.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I liken Edgeworth form this point on to be like Lena Luthor from the Supergirl TV show - shady as hell, but on the side of good. Edgeworth is still a Von Karma at heart, but he uses controlling the courtroom to Phoenix's benefit because now he just wants to know the truth. Lena Luthor has the behavioural Luthor Shadiness, but she uses it so save the day, and considers Supergirl and Kara to be her only real friends. My favourite Luthor Moments were when she threw the party to attract the criminals who were robbing high profile targets with alien weaponry, only to immediately dive under the table to build and detonate an EMP. She needed a little last minute tech help, but good plan. Also the midseason finale where she convinced her mother that she was evil after all, gave her the last chemical needed for her supervirus bomb, only for it to turn out that the chemical had actually made the virus inert, and on top of that, she had called the police on the way out to the site so her mother was now surrounded. Lena's the best :allears:

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

My favourite thing is that Edgeworth is borrowing Phoenix Wright's favourite trick: Requesting testimony while having no idea what it's going to turn up, but hoping it will change the course of the trial. Ah, the Wright Bluff...

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Edgeworth is the best character in a series full of fantastic characters.

It isn't that the others are bad, it's that Edgy is so good. He's had a coherent character arc leading to satisfying development that's stuck and made him a great member of the cast.

RedMagus
Nov 16, 2005

Male....Female...what does it matter? Power is beautiful, and I've got the power!
Grimey Drawer
It's also great that Edgeworth is coming over to Phoenix and going "look, what are you planning to do? I'll help as best I can, because we both want to know what's really going on here."

Coming all the way from his first appearance, where he's giving an old classmate the cold shoulder, dunking on him in court, and belittling him, it's great to see them becoming friends again.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Indeed. Verily, I say. Ergo.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
A picture. A picture. Where have we seen something that could be a child's drawing?

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Co-written by Mia's ghost.

She was the ghost writer, you could say.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I don't know if you guys heard, but some detective in California got murdered by the district's Chief Prosecutor today. :v:

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/aceattorneygame/status/834481092803432448

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
Holy loving poo poo :eyepop:

cokerpilot
Apr 23, 2010

Battle Brothers! Stop coming to meetings drunk and trying to adopt Tevery Best!

Lord General! Stop standing on the table and making up stupid operation names!

Emperor, why do I put up with these people?

theshim posted:

Holy loving poo poo :eyepop:
I am I missing something here?

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

cokerpilot posted:

I am I missing something here?

It's a poll. click on the tweet.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
It's a poll on Twitter about ladders and judging things based on narrow minded cultural assumptions.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

Mors Rattus posted:

: Look, a ladder!
: That's a "step"-ladder.
: So? What's the difference?
: You need to stop judging things based on narrow-minded cultural assumptions, Nick!
: R-right... sorry. (This girl is OUT there!)

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Case 5 - Rise From the Ashes
Trial (Day 4) - Part 2

: Mr. Edgeworth.

: and yet you still insist on denying its existence?

: Hey, I'm not the bad guy! All I'm saying is that as the prosecutor for that case,
: I wasn't handed such a picture!
: That may well be...

: This is... the evidence list for the SL-9 Incident?

: Please turn it over, Your Honor.
: Turn it over...? Turn... it...
: AAAAAAAHHHH! What's this!?

: Hey! That's it! That's the picture I drew!

: Indeed... Two men appear to be wrestling here.

: What's the meaning of this!?
: What are you doing with that list!?
: Me...?
: Only the prosecutor in charge should have access to that list!
: Huh...?
: These lists... They're...
: They're different from each other.
: It would appear, Mr. Edgeworth, that the evidence list you were handed two years ago...
: was incomplete. These two lists...
: fit together to form one.
: You can see the marks here, where they were torn apart from each other.
: So you see, Mr. Edgeworth.
: It's quite obvious what happened. Two years ago...
: only half of the evidence in that case ever reached you.
: What...

: Order! Order!
: Who'd have thought the picture would have been drawn on the back of the list...
: That was handed to Detective Goodman in the questioning room?

: Your Honor!
: Are you all right, Mr. Wright? Your eyes are bulging from your head...

: then there might be more of the drawing on the back of Mr. Edgeworth's list!

: Yes, that's quite conceivable.
: Mr. Edgeworth?
: It's possible.
: Let's see...
: MM! MMMMMMMMMMMMM!!!
: Is something wrong?
: (Do you even have to ask?)

: Sorry, Your Honor. There is something drawn on the back of my list.
: This is that... thing!

: ... That's that... that thing! That thing that was dancing in the evidence room!
: Apparently the Head of Criminal Affairs used this for his blueprint.
: (I guess he was out of scrap paper...)

And the evidence list is updated.

: Very well. Witness. Will you please testify about this picture you drew two years ago?
: Huh?
: Oh, Y-yes sir, Your Honor!

Weird caps decision there.

: (What's wrong with Ema? She seemed to be thinking about something when she saw the picture.)

: To think a flash of lightning could burn such an image in your mind...
: (Thanks to that though, she was able to show us exactly what she saw!)
: Well, I don't see any contradictions here.
: This clearly shows Joe Darke about to murder Prosecutor Neil Marshall.
: The defense may now begin its cross-examination.

: Did you draw this picture right after the incident?
: Um...
: I think I drew it two or three days later.
: At first I was in such a state of shock that I couldn't do anything...
: During that time the detective team was reorganized. Detective Goodman was placed in charge...
: under the direction of Damon Gant and Lana Skye.
: (Two or three days later...)
: (The memory should still have been fresh in her mind.)
: Excuse me, witness, but can you please tell us why this picture is painted all black?

: So at the time you didn't even know it was Mr. Marshall who had come to your rescue?
: No... I couldn't see him clearly. The lightning was so bright...
: and I was knocked to the floor.
: You were knocked to the floor?
: Darke had a tight grip on me,
: but when Mr. Marshall jumped on him, I was knocked away.

: (Poor Ema... I'm just glad she wasn't hurt.)
: What happened after the lightning flashed?

: You mean, you didn't see the actual murder take place?
: No.
: I-I'm sorry...

: The flash of lightning only drove off the darkness for a split second. Not only that, but the trauma of the situation understandably caused the witness to faint.
: Do you really need to torture this girl any further!?

: Hey, I'm not the bad guy here!
: Anyway, this picture...

: Sorry for asking so many times, but are you sure you drew exactly what you saw?
: Of course! This is the exact scene!
: It wasn't influenced in any way from your talks with the detectives?

: Are you insinuating we somehow manipulated her memory, Mr. Wright?
: No, no. Of course not. (I'd better watch out, or he might find some way to cut my salary!)
: I drew this picture before I heard anything from the detectives,
: so I don't think anyone's story would have influenced me...
: Mr. Wright.
: Is there something that's bothering you about this picture?
: Huh?
: Oh, well...

Loop.

: (That's strange... She claims this is exactly the scene that was imprinted in her mind...)
: (And yet...)

Can you spot it?

: I hate to be the bearer of bad news,
: but this picture the witness drew...
: contains a blatant contradiction!
: B-but, I still remember it just like it was yesterday!

: Mr. Wright.
: Perhaps it would be faster if you simply pointed out this contradiction for us.

: The contradiction of course lies here!
: Take a look at the knife the man is holding.

: In fact, you don't even have to look closely to see that.
: But Mr. Wright, look at the evidence!

: If I recall...

: It was the conclusive piece of evidence that proved Joe Darke was the murderer!

: I'm afraid it's not so simple, Ema.

: Huh? Where could you possibly see a problem!?

: If the victim was only stabbed once,

: AAAAAAAHHHHHH!
: What's the meaning of this?

: Perhaps the knife was broken beforehand!

: Sorry, but I'm afraid that's not possible.
: The tip of the knife was found inside the victim's body.

: If it was broken beforehand,
: it couldn't possibly wind up there!

: That's right!
: But what does this mean?

: The tip of the knife was undeniably discovered within the victim's body!
: The only possible explanation is the witness's memory is mistaken!

: That's why I asked her so many times if she was sure she remembered correctly.
: I believe you were annoyed at the time.
: But she was sure she remembered correctly!
: But...
: there's no other way to explain this inconsistency!

: Not so fast, Mr. Edgeworth.
: There is another explanation. Have you forgotten already?
: About a little something called... "falsified evidence"?
: You're treading on thin ice, Wright...
: All I'm saying, is that the broken knife
: might be the piece of evidence that was forged! You can't deny the possibility!
: No...

Next time: Oh dear.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

The Blue Badger is Killerman!

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?

Mors Rattus posted:

: Sorry, Your Honor. There is something drawn on the back of my list.
: This is that... thing!

I knowed it, I knowed the thing was a killer, has bloodlust writ all over it! And Gumshoe, as its maker is in collusion- book em all!

So, Edgeworth really didn't know about all this; he wasn't corrupt, he was just working off bad information. And it speaks to the faith he has in the police force that he seems to have never even questioned the evidence he got from them...

TheObserver
Nov 7, 2012
He learned at the feet of someone whose philosophy was every defendant is guilty, so get a guilty verdict every time. It's perfectly reasonable to assume that would lead to some amount of tunnel vision.

And not just for Edgeworth.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
Ah yes, now I remember the rest of this case.

This is some really good stuff.

:objection:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Mors Rattus posted:

: Are you insinuating we somehow manipulated her memory, Mr. Wright?
: No, no. Of course not. (I'd better watch out, or he might find some way to cut my salary!)

Edgeworth is the best.

• Locked thread