Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax
The Croctopus grows fat
eating Japanese airframes
and American carriers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!
That's a bit off for a haiku. How about--

Croctopus grows fat
Consuming Japanese souls
And US flattops

(And for the tanka...
But naught will date its hunger,
Such is the way of all war)

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
two! Two carrier kills ah ah ah

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Ron Jeremy posted:

Maybe all those causal ties were just the assholes and they were guiltily glad to be rid of them

A level of simulation no one ever thought of until now!

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Chenango, Chenangoing, Chenangone.

:effort:

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
The Chenango and Suwanee weren't Delaware that any Japanese carriers were operating in the area, that's how they got caught flat-footed!

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011

Night10194 posted:

Allied carrier just have the worst luck against Grey.

It's a good thing too, since their planes are practically unstoppable.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.
That was a shitshow even though you did get the CVEs. Your carrier air should be better than that in early 1943.

e: corrected year

TheDemon fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Feb 20, 2017

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
That just shows you shouldn't send a plane to do a battleship's job.

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

TheDemon posted:

That was a shitshow even though you did get the CVEs. Your carrier air should be better than that in 1942.

Oh dear, you must be new here. Don't worry: It gets way worse as Grey starts overdrawing his pilot pool to replace Betty/various dogshit airframe pilots, and dead carrier pilots get replaced with undertrained idiots. .

Another stung victory for Great Japan. I'm surprised your CAP was that big in 1943. Does WiTP ever get up to 500 plane TB/F4F strike forces like what sunk the Yamato?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

A White Guy posted:

Another stung victory for Great Japan. I'm surprised your CAP was that big in 1943. Does WiTP ever get up to 500 plane TB/F4F strike forces like what sunk the Yamato?
Yes. One of the things that came up in another WITP thread was a game where the Japanese player amassed so many planes that the game's air combat model shat itself and the CAP just stopped working. The IJN had to sacrifice the first few hundred Vals and Kates, but the back half of the locust swarm went completely unmolested and sank something like half a dozen Essex class carriers.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

A White Guy posted:

Oh dear, you must be new here. Don't worry: It gets way worse as Grey starts overdrawing his pilot pool to replace Betty/various dogshit airframe pilots, and dead carrier pilots get replaced with undertrained idiots. .

Yes.

Pearl Harbor is a 250+ plane attack that always happens (barring player shenanigans)

RA Rx
Mar 24, 2016

gradenko_2000 posted:

Yes. One of the things that came up in another WITP thread was a game where the Japanese player amassed so many planes that the game's air combat model shat itself and the CAP just stopped working. The IJN had to sacrifice the first few hundred Vals and Kates, but the back half of the locust swarm went completely unmolested and sank something like half a dozen Essex class carriers.

That guy wanted to test "the limits" of what Japan could do against a green newbie. Stayed at Pearl Harbor for six days.
The new guy took Hokkaido and the veteran started whining about fire bombs.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

That just shows you shouldn't send a plane to do a battleship's job.

Not empty quoting.

Plek
Jul 30, 2009

RA Rx posted:

That guy wanted to test "the limits" of what Japan could do against a green newbie. Stayed at Pearl Harbor for six days.
The new guy took Hokkaido and the veteran started whining about fire bombs.

And then 'lost the save' when he couldn't turn back the assault in short order.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Plek posted:

And then 'lost the save' when he couldn't turn back the assault in short order.

yeah the veteran player in that game was a huge baby and kept insisting on using bizarre exploits while house-ruling that heavy bombers could not fly lower than such-and-such heights &c

RA Rx
Mar 24, 2016

On the bright side the new guy was happy about everything (he just wanted to learn and was grateful I think) and they both had fun playing together as friends.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

These guys run into each other three time, avoiding conflict each time.

Down you go! Two less CVE's to worry about!

We lose a lot of men, but the forts are cracking!

After a longer rest, we start this up again.

I'm a completist – I want that base and to destroy these troops.

We took out a couple of ships, but the land losses were heavy.

These things are well worth killing!

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011
Clearly in this alternate timeline, America's going to have to roll out the Liberty Carriers.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Did those losses make a dent in their CVE number, or are they at the point where there are just too many for a few losses to matter?

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.
It depends on what stage of the war.

At this stage? Yes, they do matter. Later? Two is a drop in a 50+ bucket.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
I think the big thing is that if Grey can keep killing them piecemeal as they show up in ones and twos, then he has a very slim chance of preventing them getting to critical mass of overwhelming him with numbers.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

Grey Hunter posted:

These guys run into each other three time, avoiding conflict each time.

"gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress" - destroyer captains, probably

OpenlyEvilJello
Dec 28, 2009

After a long break without historical sinkings, we return on

20 February 1943

Japanese destroyer Oshio, sunk by US submarine Albacore in the Admiralty Islands.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

vyelkin posted:

I think the big thing is that if Grey can keep killing them piecemeal as they show up in ones and twos, then he has a very slim chance of preventing them getting to critical mass of overwhelming him with numbers.

And if he keeps killing them out of sight of Allied bases. I don't think there are any where he sunk them so their airgroups are likely dead in the water.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

RZApublican posted:

Did those losses make a dent in their CVE number, or are they at the point where there are just too many for a few losses to matter?

quote:

16.1.1 AUTOMATIC SHIP REPLACEMENTS
There are several instances in which replacement ships may be provided as reinforcements
if a ship is sunk during the game. Replacement ships are generated if the option is selected
for the scenario and:

An American CV is sunk prior to 1944 will be replaced by an Essex-class CV.

An American or Australian CA that is sunk prior to 1944 will be replaced by a Baltimore-class CA or a Cleveland-class CL. The replacement class is chosen at random.

Japanese Midget Submarines will be replaced with a Type “D” Midget Submarine

Whenever a replacement ship is created, it will be placed in the reinforcement list and given an
arrival time of at least 450 days from the date the original ship was sunk.

It doesn't specifically state CVE's, so in theory they are gone forever and have no free replacement.

Jobbo_Fett fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Mar 5, 2017

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Wait the allies just get a new carrier whenever they lose one? What kind of poo poo is that? Does it just appear in alameda or something and just have to drive out back to the battle?

E: read to the end. So it appears 450 days later?

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Ron Jeremy posted:

Wait the allies just get a new carrier whenever they lose one? What kind of poo poo is that? Does it just appear in alameda or something and just have to drive out back to the battle?

Yeah they just get to poop out another carrier for free without any effect on their current production/industrial capacity, afaik.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Allied player doesn't do any industry stuff, right? They have the US economy backing them up.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

wiegieman posted:

Allied player doesn't do any industry stuff, right? They have the US economy backing them up.

Yup.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Ron Jeremy posted:

It's to represent the fact that there wasn't actually a limit to how many aircraft carriers the US would have built if the Pacific War had gone on longer and they had been needed. The Japanese military in real life probably thought it was pretty unfair how well the Americans were able to replace lost ships too.

Jeek
Feb 15, 2012

Ron Jeremy posted:

That's basically what's happened to the sunken American CVs in real life actually. ;)

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

So the only real impact is losing experienced aircrews? Assuming they can't find an alternate landing spot?

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Ron Jeremy posted:

So the only real impact is losing experienced aircrews? Assuming they can't find an alternate landing spot?

Well, also that you get another year and a half with one fewer US carrier.

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

vyelkin posted:

It's to represent the fact that there wasn't actually a limit to how many aircraft carriers the US would have built if the Pacific War had gone on longer and they had been needed. The Japanese military in real life probably thought it was pretty unfair how well the Americans were able to replace lost ships too.

The IJN (or at least, the lower echelons of the IJN) was well-aware that the longer this thing on, the more USN ships would have to be sunk. I can't really talk for Tojo or Yamato, because Tojo never penned any memoirs and Yamato was killed during the war. Everyone else in the upper echelons, especially Kondo, was an enormous dumbass.

Ron Jeremy posted:

The poo poo it is representing the utterly absurd ability of the US to replace losses. The US had slightly less than half the total industrial capacity of the entire planet at this point. If they were losing carriers left and right, it's not beyond the pale to imagine that more shipyards would've dedicated themselves to building CVs instead of liberty ships/corvettes/LSTs/etc.

HOI4 which is basically arcade WW2 gives the US a silly industrial capacity potential, to the point where the US is perfectly capable of loving up the engine. Even if the US players does nothing but build shipyards, it's literally impossible for the US player to replicate the historical ability of the US to build naval vessels. That's why the Allies get such latitude in the rules, because the game designers were aware that they weren't capable of replicating perfectly the industry of the US.

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
Anyways, for Grey congrats on sinking two baby flattops! And how goes doing your own pilot training and replacing aircrews and researching? You putting a lot of your more experienced aicrews into pilot training to help get more in the pipeline or not?

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
Do the Japanese even do the whole "have veterans train the new guys" thing?

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Ron Jeremy posted:

Japan fighting the USA was not a fair fight.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

Do the Japanese even do the whole "have veterans train the new guys" thing?

They do, and if the player is clever enough with rotating veterans and assigning rookie pilots to trainer missions in China the Japanese can have competitive pilots well into 1944.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
This has probably been asked before, but when Germany Surrenders does the US get all the European Inf Divs that were earmarked for Japan?

Not that you'll need them I guess because :ussr: