Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

TheKingofSprings posted:

That was the one time in the history of the games Flareon was halfway decent

it gets flare blitz now though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

I had put down Moon for a bit and just picked it back up. Got to the Elite 4 and uh. Got rocked. Dang. Where is a good place to level up? Running around in the caves isn't doing much. Stupid Snorunts.

you could just fight the e4 over and over again. don't use items so you aren't wasting resources for when you fight them for real

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

I had put down Moon for a bit and just picked it back up. Got to the Elite 4 and uh. Got rocked. Dang. Where is a good place to level up?

The Elite Four.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Dabir posted:

it gets flare blitz now though

So did Arcanine like 3 generations ago and that one's just ok.

The world's moved past a 130 attack fire type with 60 speed and poo poo for defense.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

TheKingofSprings posted:

So did Arcanine like 3 generations ago and that one's just ok.

Not in doubles.

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.

TheKingofSprings posted:

The Elite Four.

Noooooooo

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

You can actually trade Pokemon while locked in with the elite four, if you're missing some critical team type.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Chronojam posted:

You can actually trade Pokemon while locked in with the elite four, if you're missing some critical team type.

This is so obvious and I can't believe I never thought of it.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Awesome, I finally did enough Battle Royal grinding to re-purchase all of the EV Power items. Now maybe I can start training my Doubles team for the upcoming tournament. :v:

I also got a Wonder Trade with someone that has a 5-star Rare Kitchen, so now I have to grind up the remaining FC without doing any trades/GTS because the VIP system is dumb and doesn't let you register players that aren't in your live guest list.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
Oh no. I'm supposed to grind the battle royal too?

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

FishBulb posted:

That 50s win stamp for your passport isn't going to earn itself!

I stand corrected. No stamp for Battle Royale, just the trainer style.

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Feb 21, 2017

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

Ah! Are we allowed to use UBs in the 2017 International Challenge? I'd like to use my Buzzwole cause I think a couple of my battle box pokemon were caught/trained up in ORAS so I don't think I'll he able to use them

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

FishBulb posted:

Nah, you don't have to, but it's a good alternative source of BP if you're tired of the Battle Tree. You get 5 BP for a win on Master rank, and even losing gives you 2~4 BP depending on how well you did. And most matches are pretty quick if you turn off animations. It's an interesting format.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

Mierenneuker posted:

That 50s win stamp for your passport isn't going to earn itself!

gently caress really. I knew they had those for the tree. Ugh.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

FishBulb posted:

gently caress really. I knew they had those for the tree. Ugh.

There is also a stamp for maxing out the camera which is the perfect excuse to not bother with the stamps altogether.

Parrotine posted:

Ah! Are we allowed to use UBs in the 2017 International Challenge? I'd like to use my Buzzwole cause I think a couple of my battle box pokemon were caught/trained up in ORAS so I don't think I'll he able to use them

Yes. UBs and Tapus are allowed.

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Feb 21, 2017

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

FishBulb posted:

No no no, all you get from beating the max rank Royal is a trainer pose. You only need to win four matches MAX in order to get it. There are no stamps associated with the Battle Royal.

The Battle Tree is where the stamps come from, 50 wins in Super Single, Super Double and Super Multi.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS

Crosspeice posted:

No no no, all you get from beating the max rank Royal is a trainer pose. You only need to win four matches MAX in order to get it. There are no stamps associated with the Battle Royal.

The Battle Tree is where the stamps come from, 50 wins in Super Single, Super Double and Super Multi.

The trainer pose also immediately turns you into a princess. Whether this is good or bad is up to you but there IS a wrong answer.

Also I'm the guy who actually cares about ribbons (despite not even having any gen 3/4 ones) so if anyone else cares all this gen has is ribbons for becoming/defending Champ, winning a Master rank battle royal, and beating a regular Battle Tree and super Battle Tree category. So only 4 new ones this gen. Kinda lame but... my team of fully gen-6-decorated mons is Garchomp, Kangaskhan, Mawile, Gengar, Drowzee, and Milotic so getting all 4 of those on the guys other than Garchomp and Milotic will be a fuckin' chore. Thanks for ruining Gengar after 20 years of dominance, ya fucks.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Diet Poison posted:

Also I'm the guy who actually cares about ribbons (despite not even having any gen 3/4 ones) so if anyone else cares all this gen has is ribbons for becoming/defending Champ, winning a Master rank battle royal, and beating a regular Battle Tree and super Battle Tree category. So only 4 new ones this gen. Kinda lame but... my team of fully gen-6-decorated mons is Garchomp, Kangaskhan, Mawile, Gengar, Drowzee, and Milotic so getting all 4 of those on the guys other than Garchomp and Milotic will be a fuckin' chore. Thanks for ruining Gengar after 20 years of dominance, ya fucks.

I always wondered what the max amount of ribbons on a single Pokemon could be. I know they changed around the ribbon data between gens at some point and dropped some old ones, didn't they?

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
They alter some of the old ones, yes. They will be combined, and have different effects on a single ribbon for say 1-3 stars on a ribbon for if you beat all 3 super battle [location] things. If you run out of space, they just give you a page 2 to hold the rest. It's pretty neat.

edit: I've seen one guy that posted screens of his :wooper: that has every single ribbon from gen 3 up. It was some real dedication for what he had to do for a thing that can't really compete.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
Oh man I forgot all about the poses or whatever. Ugh.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

If you really want all the ribbons, it has to be a Pokemon you caught in an Orre game because you get a ribbon for purifying a Shadow Mon. Other than that it's just lots of tedium and praying you win at broken Gen 3 contests.

OgreNoah
Nov 18, 2003

Diet Poison posted:

The trainer pose also immediately turns you into a princess. Whether this is good or bad is up to you but there IS a wrong answer.

What happened to Gengar? You can still get Gengarite.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

OgreNoah posted:

What happened to Gengar? You can still get Gengarite.

Lost Levitate

OgreNoah
Nov 18, 2003

Oh poo poo why'd they do that? It's mostly useless now unless Mega. A single earthquake from a Ratata might kill Gengar.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Saying non levitate Gengar is useless is a bit of a stretch.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
They gave Gengar Cursed Body, which is absolutely terrible on glass cannon Pomemon.

OgreNoah
Nov 18, 2003

Countblanc posted:

Not a stretch when Gengar has been my favorite since Gen1. I can't believe I didn't notice it didn't have levitate anymore.
What kind of crazy team doesn't have Earthquake on every single pokemon?

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

Countblanc posted:

twineedle hits twice for 25 power and 20% poison chance each

christ what a lovely move

it hits every non-Tangela Grass-type in the game for quadruple damage at least

OgreNoah posted:

Not a stretch when Gengar has been my favorite since Gen1. I can't believe I didn't notice it didn't have levitate anymore.
What kind of crazy team doesn't have Earthquake on every single pokemon?

Any that has Tapu Bulu, whose ability cuts Earthquake's BP down to 50. Gengar actually gets a couple cool tricks now thanks to the Levitate swap, like avoiding sleep and getting 1.5x Thunderbolt under Electric Terrain, health back while retaining at least some Ground- defense under Grassy Terrain, and 1.5x Psychic with priority immunity (Sucker Punch and Shadow Sneak) in Psychic Terrain. Plus whatever Misty Terrain does

The Golden Gael fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Feb 21, 2017

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House
As far as singles goes, Gengar is looking pretty strong even losing Levitate. It has good STAB attacks in Ghost which isn't resisted by much in Smogon's OU higher viability tiers and Poison which smacks Fairies around other than Magearna. Thunderbolt helps with Celesteela+Skarmory+Toxapex, along with having access to other options like Focus Blast, Taunt, and Will-o-Wisp. Gengar even avoids Arena Trap! It's in a fine place.

BearDrivingTruck
Oct 15, 2011

You see the most shocking sights sometimes
Are the better pokeballs in the Festival Plaza shops seriously locked behind Plaza level 30 and beating the E4? Am I understanding that correctly?

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

Bulbapedia seems to say so. I don't know why you would want a ball shop tho, FC is a more annoying resource to get than Pokedollars. All the balls can be bought from centers and if you really want Premier balls you can just take advantage of the Thrifty Megamart to load up on them.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
I dunno I have more FC than I know what to do with thanks to that last challenge thing.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Countblanc posted:

they may throw shade, but there's a shadow of truth to it. a mere spectre of its former glory

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS

Countblanc posted:

Oh yeah, he's not at all useless, and saying he's "ruined" was total hyperbole on my part. Still really fuckin' sucks that I can't use him as a switch-in for Earthquake anymore. Can we at least agree that it sucks rear end how Gengar ONLY gets Cursed Body as an ability? I understand when Levitate is the only option but come on, if they were going to take it away (why?) why not give three options like most non-levitate Pokemon? Like, I dunno, anything other than fuckin' Cursed Body?

Also I noticed you CAN still get Kangaskhanite in-game so I rescind the part where I said it'd be hard to get all 4 new ribbons on my Kanga. It's probably just Drowzee who I gotta sneak onto the team at battle #50 and hope for the best. (it's my pink one named Bubblegum! I forgot which goon I got him from but thanks again; we're still best friends forever and he is just covered with ribbons)

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

Diet Poison posted:

Oh yeah, he's not at all useless, and saying he's "ruined" was total hyperbole on my part. Still really fuckin' sucks that I can't use him as a switch-in for Earthquake anymore. Can we at least agree that it sucks rear end how Gengar ONLY gets Cursed Body as an ability? I understand when Levitate is the only option but come on, if they were going to take it away (why?) why not give three options like most non-levitate Pokemon? Like, I dunno, anything other than fuckin' Cursed Body?

The main purpose of changing Gengar's ability (apart from making it consistent with its in-game model where it's standing on the ground) was to nerf it. Having access to three options would only buff it further by increasing its versatility and giving it more options.

PSWII60
Jan 7, 2007

All the best octopodes shoot fire and ice.

Diet Poison posted:

Also I noticed you CAN still get Kangaskhanite in-game so I rescind the part where I said it'd be hard to get all 4 new ribbons on my Kanga. It's probably just Drowzee who I gotta sneak onto the team at battle #50 and hope for the best. (it's my pink one named Bubblegum! I forgot which goon I got him from but thanks again; we're still best friends forever and he is just covered with ribbons)

I think that was me. That name sounds very familiar. Is the OT Andy?

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

oddium posted:

they may throw shade, but there's a shadow of truth to it. a mere spectre of its former glory

it really fell down from great heights

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

iPodschun posted:

As far as singles goes, Gengar is looking pretty strong even losing Levitate. It has good STAB attacks in Ghost which isn't resisted by much in Smogon's OU higher viability tiers and Poison which smacks Fairies around other than Magearna. Thunderbolt helps with Celesteela+Skarmory+Toxapex, along with having access to other options like Focus Blast, Taunt, and Will-o-Wisp. Gengar even avoids Arena Trap! It's in a fine place.

He can also soak up Toxic Spikes now :eng101:

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

UGH! I somehow misread the nature of the Kartana I caught with perfect Attack and Speed IVs. It is careful, not Jolly.

I have a Jolly one, but only its Speed iv is perfect. Am I correct in thinking that the best solution is to grind it up to lvl 100, then use a bottle cap?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I am Reverend
Sep 21, 2008

Pheromosa's Special Attack rose!