Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
As a quick update her phone won't save screenshots anymore.

Devastating loss here. She loved texting memes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008
Is it possible to sync text messages via SKype from a windows phone to an iPad yet?

Mr Funkface
Dec 21, 2009
Installing a bunch of new WPho updates, excitedly waiting for no progress since the last ones!

All I want is to send MMSes with both sims without switching which one is set to data. Windows 8 did it, you monkeys, why not 10?

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer

OhFunny posted:

As a quick update her phone won't save screenshots anymore.

Devastating loss here. She loved texting memes.

At one point they changed the key combination to take screenshots. Might want to check that she's hitting the right buttons.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

This whole adaptive shell thing I've been hearing about is pretty cool news in the "stuff they needed to have working in 2010" category

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

CharlesM posted:

I love my Lumia 950 lol

CharlesM posted:

I still love my Lumia 950.

How long have you had it? I've had mine since April 2016, and though I still don't mind my phone, my list of complaints is getting longer and longer, and they include but probably are not limited to:

1) Snapchat still not being a thing, which all things considered is not a big deal.
2) Shazam being a thing, but clearly not working on WM 10. Slightly bigger deal, because it's more of a tease.
3) Spotify randomly stopping all the time for no reason.
4) Instagram randomly not allowing me to play videos/view stories/comment/like.
5) Randomly not being able to attach media to my texts (the Messaging
6) This motherfucking poo poo right here.

The width of the Snooze & Dismiss buttons combined is approximately the length of my thumbtip. Everyone's their most dextrous when they're half-awake, right? :rolleyes:

Anyway, having to be surgically precise when deciding whether to snooze or dismiss sucks rear end, but it is probably the biggest complaint I have about my phone. Keep in mind that I got my first smartphone in March 2014 and it was also a WIndows Phone, so I'm very much still in the "not actually knowing any better" stage. Maybe Androids are magical.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Yeah, I do still enjoy my 950, but the platform has certainly gotten worse as a day-to-day thing since 8.1, even with the progress 10 has made. The upside of the common core is very visible: timely updates to the OS and core apps which it shares with the desktop, and the UWP apps that are around and I use tend to actually be very good. The actual creature comforts and streamlined experience just isn't a thing though, and is not looking like it'll be a thing for some time either. I personally think that the fact that it gets updated "for free" as desktop Windows 10 gets worked on does mean that Microsoft in principle has all kinds of time to revive the effort, but that is more a strategic commentary rather than any kind of reason to use it currently.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I've had my phone since August 2016. I don't know why they changed the alarm like that!! It's silly. Changing stuff just because?

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer

YeahTubaMike posted:

The width of the Snooze & Dismiss buttons combined is approximately the length of my thumbtip. Everyone's their most dextrous when they're half-awake, right? :rolleyes:

Anyway, having to be surgically precise when deciding whether to snooze or dismiss sucks rear end, but it is probably the biggest complaint I have about my phone. Keep in mind that I got my first smartphone in March 2014 and it was also a WIndows Phone, so I'm very much still in the "not actually knowing any better" stage. Maybe Androids are magical.

In the latest insider build, they even moved the buttons to the right side of the bar, and not the left.

I got my 950 on release day, November 2015. While yes, I still enjoy my 950, I've had an Android phone for work for a few months now, and I'm probably going to be replacing my 950 with an Android phone in the next 6 months. The app gap is getting bigger and bigger, and it's annoying enough that I'm switching. Doesn't help that there aren't any new Windows phones either.

wookieepelt
Jul 23, 2009
I really like my 950 but the speaker sucks, which is annoying because I use it all the time when I'm working. I'd use headphones, but they're not allowed at my work. The GPS is better than it used to be but once in a while it hangs, and if I don't pay attention to it I'll drive for three miles without being notified that I was supposed to turn left (note: This was not a problem when I was accidently on insider builds, so this will be fixed in the spring). The only other major problem is that my bank doesn't support tap to pay on windows or android, so that's kind of a pain but it's on my bank. The odds of android pay support coming soon and windows support coming not at all is pretty good though. I don't snap, and I'm pretty good with the current app support though. My wife plays Mario on her iPhone but that only makes me a little jealous.

beuges
Jul 4, 2005
fluffy bunny butterfly broomstick
I renewed my contact exactly a month ago and got a 950 to replace my 930. Selecting the 950 actually decreased my monthly plan cost, compared to all the other handsets.
My wife's contract is now up for renewal. She also has a 930 and likes the interface (she has an iPhone 5 as well as a secondary for her business, and she had an android prior to the 930, so it's not like she has no other points of reference). So I went online to process her renewal and order her a 950 as well, except they're no longer available as an option. Only android and iPhone.
I'm just glad I was able to get the 950 before it got dropped, so I've saved myself from android and ios for another 2 years.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

beuges posted:

I renewed my contact exactly a month ago and got a 950 to replace my 930. Selecting the 950 actually decreased my monthly plan cost, compared to all the other handsets.
My wife's contract is now up for renewal. She also has a 930 and likes the interface (she has an iPhone 5 as well as a secondary for her business, and she had an android prior to the 930, so it's not like she has no other points of reference). So I went online to process her renewal and order her a 950 as well, except they're no longer available as an option. Only android and iPhone.
I'm just glad I was able to get the 950 before it got dropped, so I've saved myself from android and ios for another 2 years.

Well, if you need another 950 they're going for 150-175 on swappa right now for an unlocked AT&T model

PlaneGuy
Mar 28, 2001

g e r m a n
e n g i n e e r i n g

Yam Slacker

YeahTubaMike posted:

Anyway, having to be surgically precise when deciding whether to snooze or dismiss sucks rear end, but it is probably the biggest complaint I have about my phone.

i swear to god the entire of windows 10 mobile is made by people who have never used a phone with their fingers

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit
All my smartphones have been windows from the first HD7 way hack in the day. Until now.
I broke my 920 and needed a phone for work and couldnt wait for it to be repaired so I bought a galaxy s7 edge.

All I can say is wow Windows are so far behind its staggering. Its embarassing that I defended the windows platform for long.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Myrddin_Emrys posted:

All I can say is wow Windows are so far behind its staggering. Its embarassing that I defended the windows platform for long.

New thread title imo

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

So behind that the 640 it's on Windows 10 yet my 640XL not and all insider builds are awful with no sign of improvement.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker
My "favorite" new bug is Edge. Browse to a site and it starts to display. You start reading and scrolling when "oops!" it finds something that causes it to re-render the whole page and put you back to the top. You scroll back to where you were, read a fee words and "oops!" it happens again. On the third try, if you don't throw the phone down in frustration, Edge says the page is bad and displays a "page cannot be displayed" placeholder.

If you're a masochist, you'll go to the URL again and experience the same problem all over again.

I've also been with it since the HD7 and am close to leaving.

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages
Even my patience is wearing thin. I'm sick of OneNote not properly synching, random restarts, not being able to download helpful rewards apps for my favorite stores and restaurants, and other general weirdness.

If anything happens to my Icon here, I'm running back to iPhone.

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men
I went back to my iPhone and about the only time I think of Windows phone is when I see there are posts in this thread and have a morbid curiosity if the platform has admitted its death yet.

OldPueblo
May 2, 2007

Likes to argue. Wins arguments with ignorant people. Not usually against educated people, just ignorant posters. Bing it.
Every time I check e-mail/calendar and communicate with someone I miss Windows Phone. That's multiple times a day, why doesn't MS just make an Android ROM or something with native Cortana. :sigh: Why can't I adapt to android e-mail/calendar/contact apps?? I've gotten much less productive since switching and I feel like an old man shouting at technology. :argh:

wookieepelt
Jul 23, 2009

OldPueblo posted:

Every time I check e-mail/calendar and communicate with someone I miss Windows Phone. That's multiple times a day, why doesn't MS just make an Android ROM or something with native Cortana. :sigh: Why can't I adapt to android e-mail/calendar/contact apps?? I've gotten much less productive since switching and I feel like an old man shouting at technology. :argh:

I used an android phone for a bit, and there was something off about it. It's hard to describe, but it felt worse than ios and Windows Phone. Obviously, it could do more than Windows and the apps were just as plentiful as ios but they were less stable. I guess if I switch I'd have to use an iPhone. The battery was not good, the built in launcher crashed all the time, entering a pin to unlock the phone was laggy and I couldn't disable some of the default apps. I wished Cortana could do more. I have been using whatever iteration of zune pass since 2008 and the android groove app was terrible. I'm not about to rebuy over 2,000 sing to use a different service, so that was kind of the final straw.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

wookieepelt posted:

I used an android phone for a bit, and there was something off about it. It's hard to describe, but it felt worse than ios and Windows Phone. Obviously, it could do more than Windows and the apps were just as plentiful as ios but they were less stable. I guess if I switch I'd have to use an iPhone. The battery was not good, the built in launcher crashed all the time, entering a pin to unlock the phone was laggy and I couldn't disable some of the default apps. I wished Cortana could do more. I have been using whatever iteration of zune pass since 2008 and the android groove app was terrible. I'm not about to rebuy over 2,000 sing to use a different service, so that was kind of the final straw.

What Android phone did you use? The experience varies widely depending on the device you use.

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men
I had a Nexus 5 and I'm pretty much iPhone for life because of it.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
The Nexus line is known to be unstable and intentionally has a limited life span.

wookieepelt
Jul 23, 2009

WattsvilleBlues posted:

What Android phone did you use? The experience varies widely depending on the device you use.

I used a Samsung galaxy whatever the one is that didn't blow up. I figured I should test the one that most android users would have.

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men

CharlesM posted:

The Nexus line is known to be unstable and intentionally has a limited life span.

Sweet. That's what you want from a phone.

CalvinandHobbes
Aug 5, 2004

wookieepelt posted:

I used a Samsung galaxy whatever the one is that didn't blow up. I figured I should test the one that most android users would have.

The pixel really is the bar none best android phone at the moment. That said, the android groove app is insanely bad. downloading music to the phone frequently generates an error and stops all downloads in the queue, there's no download manager so you can't see which song has an error and cancel that song to restart downloads, and the app frequently won't play any music unless you wait 3-10 minutes or restart the app 3-4 times. Spotify free is a better experience then groove with a pass on android at the moment. I guess that's the one place where Microsoft realized you can create some loyalty with ecosystem lock in

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

CalvinandHobbes posted:

I guess that's the one place where Microsoft realized you can create some loyalty with ecosystem lock in

Not sure it really works like that. If someone makes a lovely app and there are many much better alternative options, why wouldn't people switch to the better options? I actually couldn't easily find Groove subscriber count, but going by Play store installs, not sure you can really call their strategy a success: Spotify, Pandora, and Deezer each have >100 million installs, Napster has 10-50 million, Tidal Music has 1-5 million, and Groove has 1-5 million.

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

CalvinandHobbes posted:

The pixel really is the bar none best android phone at the moment. That said, the android groove app is insanely bad. downloading music to the phone frequently generates an error and stops all downloads in the queue, there's no download manager so you can't see which song has an error and cancel that song to restart downloads, and the app frequently won't play any music unless you wait 3-10 minutes or restart the app 3-4 times. Spotify free is a better experience then groove with a pass on android at the moment. I guess that's the one place where Microsoft realized you can create some loyalty with ecosystem lock in

I haven't had those issues with the Groove app on Android. I have dogfood builds that are ahead of production ones, but I don't think they're that far ahead. If anything, I would go so far as to say that Groove on Android (and to a lesser extent iOS) are better than on Windows 10.

The Android app has a better UI, with quick list support and better Artist Images it pulls down. Downloading files on Windows 10 takes forever and the download status page is useless because it tends to batch downloads together, leaving everything at 100% even though it's not done yet. Very annoying. I don't have these issues with Android. In all of the apps though, I don't think it handles buffering very well. Most of the release notes between versions seem to try and address that, but it always seems to stop playing the minute I don't have good signal, even if I just played a song, which would make me think it's cached on the system and not re-streaming it.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
http://www.theverge.com/2017/2/16/14634656/android-ios-market-share-blackberry-2016

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?

I wonder what an Androidless alternate reality would look like. An iOS-WebOS-WP10 split?

e: Blackberry auto-erotically asphyxiates itself to death in a broom closet in all possible realities.

Lazyhound fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Feb 17, 2017

wookieepelt
Jul 23, 2009
My messaging notification sounds stopped working. I went to the settings and verified that they should be working, I clicked the play button in the drop down and heard the noise, but my phone doesn't make noise when I actually get a message. This is frustrating, to say the least. The problem has persisted through a power cycle and I removed the battery. Still not working. Anyone know how to fix?

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday

wookieepelt posted:

My messaging notification sounds stopped working. I went to the settings and verified that they should be working, I clicked the play button in the drop down and heard the noise, but my phone doesn't make noise when I actually get a message. This is frustrating, to say the least. The problem has persisted through a power cycle and I removed the battery. Still not working. Anyone know how to fix?

Have you tried selecting a different sound? Are you in Quiet Hours or have the Ringer + Notifications volume down? Does it vibrate when you get a text?

wookieepelt
Jul 23, 2009

Wizard of the Deep posted:

Have you tried selecting a different sound? Are you in Quiet Hours or have the Ringer + Notifications volume down? Does it vibrate when you get a text?

I'm not in quiet hours but I toggled it to test it and it still didn't play a sound. The volume is at max, and it does vibrate. I'll select a different sound and see if that helps.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
Block number doesn't seem to be working.

Anyone can help with this?

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Cheesus posted:

My "favorite" new bug is Edge. Browse to a site and it starts to display. You start reading and scrolling when "oops!" it finds something that causes it to re-render the whole page and put you back to the top. You scroll back to where you were, read a fee words and "oops!" it happens again. On the third try, if you don't throw the phone down in frustration, Edge says the page is bad and displays a "page cannot be displayed" placeholder.

This is especially fun when you're riding the subway, and when you're at a stop you have enough internet to load a page, and then Edge decides that the page is wrong somehow and tries to reload it while you're in an internet-less tunnel.

Tanith
Jul 17, 2005

Alpha, Beta, Gamma cores
Use them, lose them, salvage more
Kick off the next AI war
In the Persean Sector

Cheesus posted:

My "favorite" new bug feature is EdgeInternet Explorer. Browse to a site and it starts to display. You start reading and scrolling when "oops!" it finds something that causes it to re-render the whole page and put you back to the top. You scroll back to where you were, read a few words and "oops!" it happens again. On the third try, if you don't throw the phone down in frustration, Edge says the page is bad and displays a "page cannot be displayed" placeholder. it crashes to the home screen.

If you're a masochist, you'll go to the URL again and experience the same problem all over again.

I've also been with it since the HD7 Lumia 900 and am close to leaving.

This about sums it up from my perspective.

Pipski
Apr 18, 2004

Yeah, I want a new phone now and there aren't any WP ones anyway. Aiming to pick up a LG G6 when it comes out. I'll miss having a nice homescreen full of transparent tiles, but that's about all.

Lediur
Jul 16, 2007
The alternative to anything is nothing.

YeahTubaMike posted:

Those buttons are badly sized, but if it helps you can swipe the notification up to dismiss the alarm. Found that out when I was half asleep and I've been doing it ever since.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

Pipski posted:

Yeah, I want a new phone now and there aren't any WP ones anyway. Aiming to pick up a LG G6 when it comes out. I'll miss having a nice homescreen full of transparent tiles, but that's about all.

Check out the Android phone thread for device recommendations. The G6 is unlikely to be a suggestion.