Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Do you recc'd the YYH manga vs anime? I watched approx up to the dubbed Tourney Final before they had reruns on CN. I miss HxH but that won't return in some time so what can I do?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
Both. Both is good.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
You should do both and watch the dub and the sub, because that way you get to experience more Kuwabara, who is literally the best anime character of all time

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

DoubleDonut posted:

You should do both and watch the dub and the sub, because that way you get to experience more Kuwabara, who is literally the best anime character of all time

I'd seen the dub quite a lot from my childhood :sigh:

I'll go with anime since I read they handle the ending better and time to complete that dream of seeing beyond the Dark Tournament after over a decade.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Alder posted:

I'd seen the dub quite a lot from my childhood :sigh:

I'll go with anime since I read they handle the ending better and time to complete that dream of seeing beyond the Dark Tournament after over a decade.

I will never forgive Cartoon Network for banishing the last episodes to the ungodly hours of the morning.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

I will never forgive Cartoon Network for banishing the last episodes to the ungodly hours of the morning.

gdt they completed the season?! Also I thought they aired the late night anime because it wasn't for kids...

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Alder posted:

gdt they completed the season?! Also I thought they aired the late night anime because it wasn't for kids...

They didn't put it in the morning line up for kids. When I say morning, I mean they were playing it at like 5:30 AM. I love YYH, but nothing is worth getting up that early. I tried for a few weeks, but it just wasn't happening, especially since I was up late during those days. A quick google search revealed that this was apparently back in like 2005, and I am pretty sure there was zero advertising for it.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

I actually remember setting my alarm to wake me up early on Saturday to catch both this and .hack//roots

Alder posted:

In the US at least, it kept on changing time slots constantly, and took like half a decade to air the whole show. It started on Adult Swim iirc, then it got moved to Toonami when it was still a weekday afternoon power block,, where it received a few extra edits, mostly in the dub's language removing swearing, and this aired up to the end of the Dark Tournament. The Chapter Black arc ended up airing on Toonami some time after if had switched to early Saturday nights before Adult Swim. And after a hiatus period, and with no fanfare, they decided to trickle out the final episodes at like 5 or 5:30 AM Saturday Morning, a literal death slot.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

They didn't put it in the morning line up for kids. When I say morning, I mean they were playing it at like 5:30 AM. I love YYH, but nothing is worth getting up that early. I tried for a few weeks, but it just wasn't happening, especially since I was up late during those days. A quick google search revealed that this was apparently back in like 2005, and I am pretty sure there was zero advertising for it.

Yeah, there was literally no advertising for it. Still not as bad as the .hack//roots dub, which got to episode...19-21-ish, then never bothered dubbing the last handful of episodes :cripes:

Also I pretty much watched the whole arc as a result of that. I remember watching the final episode on TV, and much like how the final episode was pretty sombering, there's something sobering about catching the ending to something that was quite popular for a time with mostly everybody unaware and/or asleep.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

I rmb those days when the only want to watch my favorite TV shows were fighting over the channels and/or staying up late. Nowadays I can just load up my latest shows and view anytime.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
i've tried reading YYH multiple times but I could never get to an exciting part. so much boring shinigami stuff

dordreff
Jul 16, 2013
Demon Prince Poro's Exchange Diary is real good. Looking forward to the 6 months it'll last before being cancelled while U19 lasts eight billion years.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

dordreff posted:

Demon Prince Poro's Exchange Diary is real good. Looking forward to the 6 months it'll last before being cancelled while U19 lasts eight billion years.
Nah, U19 is trash. What'll happen to Poro if it does well is that it'll turn from a gag manga into a bad battlemanga ala' Reborn.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

It's pretty clearly doing that already, in the first chapter. Another chapter or two will probably be enough to see if Poro is worth caring about but it's sending off bad warning signs.

At this rate I can only imagine how long it'll be until Jump gets something else new that's decent, let alone good. The last half decent thing that was added was Black Clover, and even that started generically mediocre (if with good art) and rapidly went into the crapper over the past few months. And that started two years ago, I think? Losing Naruto, Toriko, Bleach, Nisekoi, and Assassination Classroom in relatively quick succession has really crippled Jump's lineup. Sure several of those were tanking in the ratings (and Nisekoi wasn't ever good) but I get the feeling a fumbling established property is a better use of the pages than praying for something that could be a multimedia extravaganza to fill the empty slot.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Asimo posted:

It's pretty clearly doing that already, in the first chapter. Another chapter or two will probably be enough to see if Poro is worth caring about but it's sending off bad warning signs.

At this rate I can only imagine how long it'll be until Jump gets something else new that's decent, let alone good. The last half decent thing that was added was Black Clover, and even that started generically mediocre (if with good art) and rapidly went into the crapper over the past few months. And that started two years ago, I think? Losing Naruto, Toriko, Bleach, Nisekoi, and Assassination Classroom in relatively quick succession has really crippled Jump's lineup. Sure several of those were tanking in the ratings (and Nisekoi wasn't ever good) but I get the feeling a fumbling established property is a better use of the pages than praying for something that could be a multimedia extravaganza to fill the empty slot.

Poro made the same mistake most other battle manga make, but in the first chapter. I saw someone say it's maybe trying for a OPM approach but I'm not so sure.

Another gag-a-chap unbeatable protag series would be nice tho.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

I love that poro has the same favorite manga characters as I do:
Goku, Luffy, Gon, and the statue of liberty

Also I hope Poro does as well as Beelzebub.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
maybe something new not doing very well in the ratings compared to long running series shouldn't lead to it being axed immediately

coathat
May 21, 2007

Asimo posted:

Yeah it not like there are any mangas by successful authors coming out in the next 3 weeks or anything

coathat
May 21, 2007

U19 is cool.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Asimo posted:

The Promised Neverland is really good

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I really like My Hero Academia and Promised Neverland, and while it's nowhere near as good as it used to be One Piece is still solid enough.

Law Cheetah
Mar 3, 2012
u19 is goofy as gently caress but i dont hate it yet. i enjoy the unabashed pandering

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Nate RFB posted:

while it's nowhere near as good as it used to be One Piece is still solid enough.
Zou and the Whole Cake Island arc are so far two of the best arcs in the entire series though, so your claim doesn't really hold weight. Dressrosa was not great but you remove two key things, the birdcage/second half of the doffy fight and the royal family bullshit, and it was really great.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I like all of those things, including Dressrosa. I like One Piece just fine. It's fine.

But I also think there's been a run of kind of lukewarm arcs ever since the timeskip. Something like Enies Lobby was a lifetime ago.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

To be honest, I don't really hate U19 or anything yet. At the very least I'm curious about where it's going to go. Though to be fair that's party because I mostly read battle shounen manga for the battles, and I'm curious to see how this guy will use sewing super powers to fight.

Fabricated posted:

Nah, U19 is trash. What'll happen to Poro if it does well is that it'll turn from a gag manga into a bad battlemanga ala' Reborn.

Despite knowing it wasn't particularly good, I still continued to enjoy Reborn almost all the way through the end. I liked the characters and how they seemed like the best buddies ever.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Nate RFB posted:

I like all of those things, including Dressrosa. I like One Piece just fine. It's fine.

But I also think there's been a run of kind of lukewarm arcs ever since the timeskip. Something like Enies Lobby was a lifetime ago.

even if the new arc is good (I stopped reading at the end of dressrosa because reading as they came out wasn't working for me), Fishman island, punk hazard and dressrosa is definitely a string of bad to decent arcs, especially compared to how consistent the series has been before

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

ConanThe3rd posted:

On a brighter note Prince Poro's Diary was miles better and pretty great stuff all said. One Punch Man by way of a really adorable protag.

I said the same of Stealth Symphony so I fully expect for this comic to eat poo poo.

Also, Tsun Godzilla is genius.

Wait what was wrong with Stealth Symphony. I saw its cover randomly and thought it might have looked cool.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

mycot posted:

Wait what was wrong with Stealth Symphony. I saw its cover randomly and thought it might have looked cool.

Got cancelled pretty quickly

coathat
May 21, 2007

It was bad.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
I'm gonna read Stealth Symphony now.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Cake Attack posted:

even if the new arc is good (I stopped reading at the end of dressrosa because reading as they came out wasn't working for me), Fishman island, punk hazard and dressrosa is definitely a string of bad to decent arcs, especially compared to how consistent the series has been before
Fishman Island is actually really good when read all at once. I think people were riding such a long-running action/drama high after the Summit War that something a little more down-to-earth(which is crazy considering we're talking about Fishman Island) wasn't as good week-to-week. But both that and Punk Hazard are real good when read all at once. Dressrosa however has some real, aforementioned problems even if there's also some really good parts to it.

One of the twists in Fishman Island(in regards to Hody Jones) is one of my favorites of the series, too.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Captain Invictus posted:

Zou and the Whole Cake Island arc are so far two of the best arcs in the entire series though, so your claim doesn't really hold weight. Dressrosa was not great but you remove two key things, the birdcage/second half of the doffy fight and the royal family bullshit, and it was really great.

I really, really need to get caught up again. I dropped OP in Dressrosa cause I got lost at some point and didn't want to go back and reread a whole 10 chapters...

Now I have well over 120 to get through.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

I read Fishman island all at once, I started reading one piece when it was starting dressrosa, and fishman island sucked rear end

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Fishman Island kinda sucked. Hodi was pretty easy to hate as a badguy but he and his crew mostly existed to get dunked on by the Straw Hats to show off their post time-skip powerups. It kinda went on too long.

Punk Hazard wasn't great either outside of a few cool setpieces like Law splitting the island in two.

Dressrosa was so bad that despite the incredibly great bright spots it had (Bartholomew, Pirate God Usopp, Law's flashbacks to Corazon) burned me the gently caress out. Ever since Dressrosa I don't regularly read One Piece anymore- I mostly just binge it off and on as I recall it exists.

Zoa wasn't that great either tbh.

Also for a while there the art really seemed bad- I dunno. A lot of Fishman Island up to about the start of the current arc was insanely hard to parse visually. I also despise how the female crew members' designs have changed and I've never liked moeblob Chopper. Chopper looked his best around Enies Lobby honestly.

Law Cheetah
Mar 3, 2012
sanji's whole blood loss by nosebleed thing was too stupid for me. i didnt like it at all

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Ytlaya posted:

Despite knowing it wasn't particularly good, I still continued to enjoy Reborn almost all the way through the end. I liked the characters and how they seemed like the best buddies ever.

This is how I feel with Reborn. It was super dumb fun. The Art eventually got weird(same thing happened with D.GrayMan). And it became waaaay too loving focused on Mukuro completely torching any hope of Chrome having a decent character.

But man the Vongola Rings, and the start of the Future arc was really good. Second half of the Future arc and the Shion family arc was garbage. The last Arcobaleno arc was closer to what made the Vongola Rings arc good(until it became all about Mukuro or whoever the Mukuro like guardian was for the first).

It also seemed just obscenely toyetic, like they were just getting new forms and weapons and gear like every 30-40 chapters or so.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Yeah Reborn was so good for a while, then it became hilariously bad. Like Bleach really, just more consistent in its badness. Bleach at least still had occasional moments of brilliance.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Dexo posted:

This is how I feel with Reborn. It was super dumb fun. The Art eventually got weird(same thing happened with D.GrayMan). And it became waaaay too loving focused on Mukuro completely torching any hope of Chrome having a decent character.

But man the Vongola Rings, and the start of the Future arc was really good. Second half of the Future arc and the Shion family arc was garbage. The last Arcobaleno arc was closer to what made the Vongola Rings arc good(until it became all about Mukuro or whoever the Mukuro like guardian was for the first).

It also seemed just obscenely toyetic, like they were just getting new forms and weapons and gear like every 30-40 chapters or so.

It was so good up until the base invasion of the Future Arc where like you said we ended up with the endless "no this is the true ultra final secret ultimate form" every few chapters. The Shion family was so such utter trash and the Arcobaleno one wasn't really that good, it'd have been god directly after the ring arc if the series ended then. Also KHR has the worst ending possibly ever.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Read Chapter 1

You have now finished Reborn!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Didn't Reborn start out as a mostly comedy series until low ratings forced it to become a battle shounen?