Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Viruswithshoes
Mar 26, 2007

Spring will be upon us soon. How's everybody's wrists doing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
Skipping 500ish and several month to ask: Did ya'll ever find anything?

Space Crabs
Mar 10, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Johnny Aztec posted:

Skipping 500ish and several month to ask: Did ya'll ever find anything?

Just give Xie some time to wait for winter 2014 to be over so that he can go dig before his classes in 2015 get too bad, but he totally knows exactly where one of the casks is.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
Alright, cool. See you in another 6 months.

Happy Digging!

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

I wonder if xie died irl? Although it would be funnier if he literally stopped posting due to shame.

Space Crabs
Mar 10, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

OctoberBlues posted:

I wonder if xie died irl? Although it would be funnier if he literally stopped posting due to shame.

if he wasn't shamed by his infant wrist shattering from sticking a trowel in the ground to "practice for the cask" then he wouldn't have quit posting over dragging out digging a hole for 3 years.

He probably found the cask and is living large off of the shards of pottery he found and the idea that he could have gotten a gem had he dug it up 15 years ago.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Nolan Arenado posted:

Probably just bought another account.

Piggy Smalls
Jun 21, 2015

BOSS MAKES A DOLLAR,
YOU MAKE A DIME,
I'LL LICK HIS BOOT TILL THOSE MOTHERFUCKERS SHINE.

Funny part is the goons as a whole were defending xie and ripping apart those that were calling him out on his stupidity.

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

RatHat posted:

Probably just bought another account.

How could he afford that after the wrist surgery?

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Piggy Smalls posted:

Funny part is the goons as a whole were defending xie and ripping apart those that were calling him out on his stupidity.

I wasn't. I was asking for a mod challenge or ban for him to go through with his poo poo. Whatever mod it was wouldn't do it.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
So did we find poo poo or not.

How the gently caress are people so bad at this, it's the internet. We did doobie's dog house for pete's sake!!

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Checking in after a few months, is this thread just the "did anything happen" thread now?

Maybe we can make it so only Urban Smurf posts are allowed.

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

BOY DO I SURE ENJOY TRASH. THERE'S NOTHING MORE I LOVE THAN TO SIT DOWN IN FRONT OF THE BIG SCREEN AND EAT A BIIIIG STEAMY BOWL OF SHIT. WARNER BROS CAN COME OVER TO MY HOUSE AND ASSFUCK MY MOM WHILE I WATCH AND I WOULD CERTIFY IT FRESH, NO QUESTION
urban smurf is almost certainly mentally ill

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Maybe so but either way he's the saving grace of this thread.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
I'm still under the assumption that the person who got caught sneaking around digging holes late at night was really Xie... then he had to back out somehow without admitting all his prep was a lie.

Burnstyle that is GREAT work, a breath of fresh air for this thread. One question: The two found solves had something specific at the hole location that matched the picture: The wall for cleveland and the fence-and-fixture for Chicago. Sorry if you answered this and I somehow missed it, but what is the "local" match in the Florida pic?

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
On that note, lately I've been looking at each one trying specifically to find a specific-but-nondescript landmark : A window or a series of pillars that could be the X that marks the spot of a dig. It's what all these failed searches have been missing, anyone can use observer bias to follow a verse somewhere, it's those "this is an actual window/door that is at the location" that we haven't found. It feels like there are locations that are nearby (like the fountain/statues in Cleveland), but it's that non-descript wall, window, or fence that really says "stop here and dig"

burnstyle
Jan 9, 2015

Sometimes a nut job...
Sometimes a really good person

Drunk Nerds posted:

I'm still under the assumption that the person who got caught sneaking around digging holes late at night was really Xie... then he had to back out somehow without admitting all his prep was a lie.

Burnstyle that is GREAT work, a breath of fresh air for this thread. One question: The two found solves had something specific at the hole location that matched the picture: The wall for cleveland and the fence-and-fixture for Chicago. Sorry if you answered this and I somehow missed it, but what is the "local" match in the Florida pic?

There isn't one.

At least not one that I can find.
You have to remember that even though St. Augustine bills itself as an old city, it is constantly changing.... nothing there is old anymore, it has all been rebuilt. So most solutions have to rely on the verse.

njbeachbum
Apr 14, 2005

Just to let everyone know... A new fiction podcast called "Rabbits!" is setting up part of its mystery around "The Secret". No word if they are going to break a wrist or not.

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS
im going to fart on the treasure

Viruswithshoes
Mar 26, 2007

njbeachbum posted:

Just to let everyone know... A new fiction podcast called "Rabbits!" is setting up part of its mystery around "The Secret". No word if they are going to break a wrist or not.

The treasure was fiction all along??

burnstyle
Jan 9, 2015

Sometimes a nut job...
Sometimes a really good person
I'm heading to Charleston this weekend to play in a new area.

I'm taking bets on whether or not I will find anything.

My money is on "no".

Viruswithshoes
Mar 26, 2007

burnstyle posted:

My money is on "no".

I like those odds!

Centrist Dad
Nov 13, 2007

When I see your posting
College Slice
Pretty sure verse 5 refers to Dorney Park, on route 222. In 1980, it had a ride called the Phoenix, and it used to be right next to a forest. Unfortunately, it's expanded hugely since then, and there was a big fire, so I doubt this cask still exists. But if anybody can track down a map of Dorney Park in 1980, give it a try!

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

a hot gujju bhabhi posted:

urban smurf is almost certainly mentally ill

Well sure, but I mean, I get it.

allta
Mar 28, 2011

Oyak posted:

Pretty sure verse 5 refers to Dorney Park, on route 222. In 1980, it had a ride called the Phoenix, and it used to be right next to a forest. Unfortunately, it's expanded hugely since then, and there was a big fire, so I doubt this cask still exists. But if anybody can track down a map of Dorney Park in 1980, give it a try!

No maps but there are some satellite images of the area that area from the 80's. It should be noted that satellite imagery from the 1980's was really awful, though if you want to pixel hunt by all means.

Also of note is this video of the park in 1980 which seems to give a pretty concise tour. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PSOM-aw5WQI

solar energy panel
Apr 30, 2007

burnstyle posted:

There isn't one.

At least not one that I can find.
You have to remember that even though St. Augustine bills itself as an old city, it is constantly changing.... nothing there is old anymore, it has all been rebuilt. So most solutions have to rely on the verse.

The treasure is at the fort. You've been digging in the wrong place.

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

Nice to see this exciting thread make it to Page 1 of GBS again, last time I read it was a few months ago.

So how much treasure has been found so far?

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS
It's time to stop

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
You are all morons.

Space Crabs
Mar 10, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

xie posted:

Yes but its buried under 3-4 feet of snow so gotta wait

How is that snow holding up "Bitchwrist McXie" because that was two years ago

xie posted:

The archaeologist is going to accompany, so I need to work around schedules. The actual permit application is also a bit of work. I'm also out of town from this Sunday to after Xmas.

I reaalllllllly want to dig, so it'll be ASAP, but I don't know if we can make it work over the holidays.

hmmmmmmmmmmm

Viruswithshoes
Mar 26, 2007

Wrist injuries are snow joke

Mexican Deathgasm
Aug 17, 2010

Ramrod XTreme
i dug a hole in my back yard here in calgary last weekend, my wrists seem to be ok so far. i'll update you as the situation develops

Herv
Mar 24, 2005

Soiled Meat
wrap it up folks was a good couple years but we lose

solar energy panel
Apr 30, 2007
Its not at the fort!!!!!

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

it turns out the treasure was this post

congrats goons you finally found it

Masturbasturd
Sep 1, 2014
Trump will personally find each and every one of the emeralds and dedicate a golf course in its honor, mark my words

Urban Smurf
Jun 12, 2013

Take this avatar, rotate it 180 degrees, mirror it, mark a point from the tip of the dogs noses and you will see it will line up to this image of the centaurs tail "exactly."
Image 10 / Verse 8: Milwaukee

Anyone still working on the Dwarves' treasure: purple Amethyst, Imperial star of Germany?

From woman, with harpsichord

A curious controversy came to my attention and perhaps worthy of a dwarf's attention, the design of the first flag of the United States is thought to be from a woman. I think most people would say it was Betsy Ross, but it turns out Francis Hopkinson, a man well known for his playing of the harpsichord, is credited for the flag's design and he even demanded payment from Congress in form of drink, a "quarter cask of the public wine". Is that not exactly how a dwarf would barter services?! flag-on...

Iron Prince
Aug 28, 2005
Buglord
I will still go dig up half of houston if that's what it takes the second one of you fuckers pm me what's up so I don't have to read the thread

Queering Wheel
Jun 18, 2011

[url=https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3876906]
I am xie. This is my other account. I found the treasure years ago and just didn't feel like telling any of you about it. lol owned

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
You guys are still all morons.