Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

SKULL.GIF posted:

What have people like Reid, Pelosi, and Feinstein given us? I'm sick of being governed by ancient wrinkled Methuselahs (obviously Reid is gone, but I have a political memory longer than a goldfish's) who will scold us for not building sufficient political capital in the face of goddamn fascism. Where the hell are the Gen X, where the hell are the Millennial politicians who will actually fight to improve the lives of all Americans instead of burning endless political capital on incrementalism? Why are they being locked out of the party?
"we're old farts, and that's just the way it is"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Kilroy posted:

"we're old farts, and that's just the way it is"

Anyone seen Logan's Run ? Time to carousel.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
Next protest I go to I'm gonna see if I can get people yelling "RENEW! RENEW! RENEW!"

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

gen x is a bunch of reactionary idiots, btw

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

SKULL.GIF posted:

What have people like Reid, Pelosi, and Feinstein given us? I'm sick of being governed by ancient wrinkled Methuselahs (obviously Reid is gone, but I have a political memory longer than a goldfish's) who will scold us for not building sufficient political capital in the face of goddamn fascism. Where the hell are the Gen X, where the hell are the Millennial politicians who will actually fight to improve the lives of all Americans instead of burning endless political capital on incrementalism? Why are they being locked out of the party?

I agree 100%. I just don't think anyone and everyone who's ever worked with the Democratic establishment qualifies as a shitbag like Feinstein. While I'd much prefer Ellison or Buttigieg I don't think Perez qualifies as a fake leftist just because he had a position in the Obama administration. He might even be good in an organizational role like the DNC and I don't think he'd automatically be another Wasserman-Schultz.

Of course this is all based on my understanding of the man and if you can point me at some reading about how lovely he is, I'd be willing to reassess him.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

SKULL.GIF posted:

Gen xers had Reagan squatting on their political revelatory period like a toad. Most of the ones with political ambition became Republicans and wear the exact same poo poo eating grin on their faces 24/7.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Kilroy posted:

well I don't know if that's such a good idea and perhaps we should try to elect more people like manchin *fartz*

I'll take a million Joe Manchins over Mitch McConnells, Paul Ryans and Marco Rubios.

SKULL.GIF posted:

Because running is expensive as gently caress and the Party has shown no willingness to start funding low level races. No one jumps from "John/Jane Smith, random employee at $CORP" to "Representative John/Jane Smith". They first end up on city councils, school boards or state legislatures. But when the party is doing almost nothing to fund/encourage people to run for that stuff, you don't have a crop of people who naturally want to move up to national office so you keep getting rich business owners or party insiders running for the House/Senate/Governor.

It's why Run For Something is I think the best organization to emerge from the disaster that was last November. They're doing their best to fill up candidate slates for elections in VA and NJ and have actually managed to find a candidate for every single VA House of Delegates race where Hillary won the State House district. This is crucial because the GOP has a 33 seat majority (66 GOP, 33 Dem, 1 vacant) which is absurd for a state that Hillary won easily. Only the Governor's Mansion and a 19 Dem/21 GOP State Senate have kept VA from becoming the next North Carolina. The Dems only need to hold the Governor's Mansion, gain 1 Senate seat and 18 House seats to have control of everything but the Judicial Branch in VA. It's very doable, but the important thing is running candidates everywhere.

Run for Something posted:

Run for Something will recruit and support talented, passionate youngsters who will advocate for progressive values now and for the next 30 years, with the ultimate goal of building a progressive bench.

We’ll take a chance on people the usual “institutions” might never encounter. We’ll help people run for offices like state legislatures, mayorships, city council seats, and more. We’ll do whatever it takes to get more under-35 year-olds on the ballot.

https://www.runforsomething.net/

axeil fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Feb 21, 2017

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

Fados posted:

the rise of islamo-fascism

I'm honored that Tulsi has chosen to join our humble thread.

Fiction
Apr 28, 2011

axeil posted:

I'll take a million Joe Manchins over Mitch McConnells, Paul Ryans and Marco Rubios.

They'll all vote for Jeff Sessions, so I'm not sure why you think this.

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich
But only joe manchin will vote against DeVos. A guy who votes with you 75% of the time is better than one who never does. But more importantly, replacing him with someone better isn't plausible, both because WV is so conservative and because Manchin is so popular there.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

JeffersonClay posted:

But only joe manchin will vote against DeVos. A guy who votes with you 75% of the time is better than one who never does. But more importantly, replacing him with someone better isn't plausible, both because WV is so conservative and because Manchin is so popular there.

I can say that this is true. You're not going to find anyone who's better than him who can also beat him and then beat dumb rear end Evan Jenkins or Patrick Morrisey.

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

JeffersonClay posted:

Until no one knows what the gently caress the party stands for anymore because a third of them are voting with Republicans every other time something comes up for a vote, and voters in every district kinda lose interest and who can blame them?

As I've said, you don't want the Democrats to be a political party, you want them to be a politicians' guild. Good luck with that.

Fiction
Apr 28, 2011
I don't believe that they can't find anybody better for a state that's taking a massive beating from the opioid epidemic than the guy who's completely in with Big Pharm.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Fiction posted:

I don't believe that they can't find anybody better for a state that's taking a massive beating from the opioid epidemic than the guy who's completely in with Big Pharm.

Be my guest. Find a democrat who can beat him and can win the general. Please do.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
So this is encouraging. Dems will be challenging 45 (out of 66) House of Delegates districts held by the GOP, including 17 where Hillary won. They need 18 seats for a majority.

If the Dems can manage to take the House of Delegates and State Senate in VA it'll be a really encouraging sign for 2018.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/loca...fb61_story.html

Washington Post posted:

Buoyed by a wave of progressive activism that began after the election of President Trump, Virginia Democrats plan to challenge 45 GOP incumbents in the deep-red House of Delegates this November, including 17 lawmakers whose districts voted for Democrat Hillary Clinton.

In some districts, multiple candidates will compete in Democratic primaries for the chance to challenge a Republican incumbent. And at least one Democratic incumbent from Northern Virginia will face a primary challenge, from a local school board member who said Clinton’s defeat helped propel her to run.

Republicans hold 66 of the 100 seats in the House, and GOP leaders say many districts — including those won by Clinton — remain Republican strongholds for state elections.

Still, if Democrats succeed in running 45 challengers, it would be a significant increase over 2015, when only 21 Democrats ran against GOP lawmakers.

In addition to trying to wrest control of the House, fielding a strong Democratic slate is critical to showing the nation that “Virginia is shifting and becoming a more progressive state,” said Del. Charniele Herring (Alexandria), chair of the House Democratic caucus.

“It’s important because we know those districts can change,” said Herring, who credited Trump’s election and years of recruiting efforts with fueling the surge. “I think the tide is turning.”

John Whitbeck, the chairman of the state Republican Party, described the GOP’s 16-year majority in the House as “near insurmountable” and said his party plans to challenge incumbents in heavily Democratic districts in Arlington and Fairfax this fall, too.

“Until they have 51 winnable races, they shouldn’t be talking,” Whitbeck said. “I just don’t buy it. We consistently win those Hillary Clinton districts with good, solid Republicans.”

Some potential candidates were encouraged to run by such newly formed political organizations as Run for Something, founded by former Clinton outreach worker Amanda Litman. Others said they were influenced by the Jan. 21 Women’s March on Washington.

“We’re focusing on down-ballot offices to help build a long-term, progressive bench,” Litman said in an interview. “We are actively recruiting young progressives, and our goal is that no races should go uncontested.”

Three Democrats will compete to challenge 25-year incumbent Del. Bob Marshall (R-Manassas) in the 13th District, which Clinton won on Election Day with 54 percent of the vote. Two others are battling for the Democratic nomination to oppose Del. Scott Lingamfelter (R-Woodbridge) in the 31st District, where Clinton captured 51 percent of the vote.

Elizabeth Guzman, a naturalized U.S. citizen from Peru and longtime party volunteer, said she decided to run because she and her family have endured years of harassing comments about their ethnicity, as well as unprovoked traffic stops.

“Then Trump gets elected, and my son, my 9-year-old, said, ‘Mommy, we have to get out because Mr. Trump doesn’t like people who speak Spanish.’ That decided it,” Guzman said. “My district is in­cred­ibly diverse, and I think it is time to bring that diversity to Richmond.”

In the June 13 primary, she faces Sara Townsend, a seventh-grade civics teacher who lost to Lingamfelter in 2015. Protecting public schools is her passion, she said, “and with the election of Trump, and his appointment of [Betsy] DeVos as education secretary, there’s no question of me running or not this year.”

In Marshall’s district, Mansimran Singh Kahlon, 24, is seeking to be the first Sikh elected to the House of Delegates. “Mostly, I feel there’s a void between the lives of people and the legislation presented in Richmond,” Kahlon said.

Danica Roem, an LGBT activist who would be the first openly transgender person in the chamber, said she’d been weighing a run since August, but Trump’s election “convinced me there’s literally nothing in my backstory that would disqualify me. . . . But I’m not running against Donald Trump, I’m running against Delegate Marshall.”

Steven Jansen, a former Wayne County, Mich., prosecutor who now directs the nonprofit group Prosecutors Against Gun Violence, said Trump’s election also shocked him. But what made him enter the race was Marshall’s decision to introduce legislation forbidding transgender people from using bathrooms for the gender with which they identify.

“He’s not representing his district, he has this extremist agenda, and he’s trying to bully transgender kids,” Jansen said.

Not all of the prospective candidates have filed the required paperwork, Herring said. The deadline is March 30 for primaries; independents and candidates running against someone from another party can file as late as June 13.

In Alexandria, school board member Karen Graf will challenge fellow Democrat and first-term Del. Mark H. Levine for the nomination to represent the very liberal 45th District. Graf said she has no particular criticism of Levine, but was prompted to run by “national issues” that demand local responses.

“The timing is right for women and for education, but also for someone who cares about health care, immigration and other issues,” said Graf, who has served five years on the school board.

Levine won a five-way Democratic primary in 2015 with 28 percent of the vote and had no Republican opposition in the general election.

A self-defined progressive, he has sponsored or co-sponsored bills that have passed the House to preserve evidence for victims of sexual assault and protect people from defamation lawsuits when speaking on matters of public concern. He also has supported stricter gun laws and spoken out against Trump’s travel ban; he has the endorsement of Gov. Terry McAuliffe (D) and 36 other state and local elected officials.

Graf said she’s proud of her tenure on the school board, which included four years as chair. She helped hire a new superintendent, kept the state from taking control of the academically challenged Jefferson-Houston School, launched a capital improvement plan in response to growing enrollment pressures and strengthened fiscal oversight.

In Herring’s district, Charles Sumpter Jr. filed paperwork establishing a campaign committee to run against her. But Sumpter, who chairs the Alexandria Commission on HIV/AIDS, said in a Facebook message Tuesday that he has reconsidered and will not run this year.

No other incumbent Democrats in Northern Virginia face primary challengers so far, Herring said, but there are still six weeks to go.

All 100 House seats are up for election this year. Local parties decide how to select their nominees.

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich

Kilroy posted:

Until no one knows what the gently caress the party stands for anymore because a third of them are voting with Republicans every other time something comes up for a vote, and voters in every district kinda lose interest and who can blame them?

As I've said, you don't want the Democrats to be a political party, you want them to be a politicians' guild. Good luck with that.

Literally no one in the Democratic Party is voting with republicans half the time. Manchin is the worst in terms of voting against the party line and he still votes with the party 75% of the time. And he's an outlier, not a third of the party. I think the best way to ensure people don't get confused about the actual composition of the party would be to make sure democrats like you aren't disseminating a bunch of bullshit about the composition of the party.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Fados posted:

I do agree with you on this point. To me this does indicate, not just some miscalculation in the polling techniques, but that the system which we use to predict political results is no longer accurately describing reality. In some sense our (political) ground is changing, might Hillary's campaign have looked to Europe and she would've found multiple polling upsets in various parliamentary elections and other plebiscites in favor of populism: Brexit, Syriza in Greece and Podemos and Spain with meteoric rises at the cost of the fall of center-left liberal parties. The very fact that some obscure senator from Vermont ended being a significant challenge to her primary might've indicated that something was amiss.

In the US, there really haven't been a lot of recent opportunities to test those assumptions and systems on a national scale. 2012 and 2008 were overshadowed by the Great Recession, and in 2004 Bush was a wartime president whose war was still fairly popular. A lot has changed since 2000, and a lot of the modern data-driven strategies Clinton relied on are only a few years old. In particular, I think there was a tendency to look at things that worked for Obama in 2008 and assume that his win was an indication that they were good tactics...without accounting for the fact that Obama was a very charismatic and effective speaker and campaigner whose opposition was deeply tied to a very unpopular war and an economic meltdown just months before the election. And the Democratic president before Obama was Bill Clinton, a centrist triangulator who swung right in his second term.

SKULL.GIF posted:

That's not really an accurate portrayal of either Reid or Pelosi. As for the millenials, the only things locking them out of Congress are the minimum ages imposed by the Constitution for Congressional seats and their own failure to win elections.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Main Paineframe posted:

That's not really an accurate portrayal of either Reid or Pelosi. As for the millenials, the only things locking them out of Congress are the minimum ages imposed by the Constitution for Congressional seats and their own failure to win elections.

Also funding. Millennials on the whole don't have a lot of money and you need money to run.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

stone cold posted:

gen x is a bunch of reactionary idiots, btw

I feel like it is impossible to ever maintain a good society for the long term, because it seems like any time quality of life becomes particularly good (on average) people become less empathetic and more reactionary/conservative. So even if things becoming bad might lead to people pushing for positive social change, if things actually manage to become too good as a result people flip back into "gently caress you got mine" mode.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

25 year olds can run for congress, but uh, good loving luck.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Ytlaya posted:

I feel like it is impossible to ever maintain a good society for the long term, because it seems like any time quality of life becomes particularly good (on average) people become less empathetic and more reactionary/conservative. So even if things becoming bad might lead to people pushing for positive social change, if things actually manage to become too good as a result people flip back into "gently caress you got mine" mode.

WEll you need something constant in the background to make them want to improve their society. We got that for at least a century now. Global Warming.

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich
Part of our problem recruiting good candidates is systematic. If you're a smart, charismatic, motivated young person from rural nowheresville, after you graduate college are you likely to go back home and start your career? Your job prospects are probably better if you move to a large metro area, along with other benefits, so relatively few of these people end up coming home. The ones that do come home are likely to have more conservative views because those views inform where you'd choose to live in the first place; there's ideological sorting going on here. So part of our strategy might need to be identifying smart young liberals from targeted districts when they're young and encouraging them to go home after college so we have a better set of possibilities when we're looking for candidates.

Ugh that sounds like a shitload of work for a payoff that's a long way off.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy
Jefferson Clay maybe restricting yourself to only people with graduate degrees doesn't actually help in relating to people in poor rural areas. Maybe look for people who support left wing ideas and don't care what their education background is.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Lightning Lord posted:

Acting like every establishment Democrat is Joe Manchin is a huge part of the pickle we're in now actually. Like Perez isn't Captain Full Communism Now but he's hardly some sort of vile "centrist" technocrat either.

Perez is further to the left than probably 90% of America but for that remaining 10% he's just barely to the left of GW Bush.

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

I don't think anyone here is saying we need more Joe Manchins, dude.

If having a few more Joe Manchins meant Supreme Court Justice Merrick Garland then I'd have absolutely taken that over running people further left who couldn't win their respective states. Having the majority and positions of power in the Senate while relying on people who only vote with you sometimes is infinitely better than being the party out of power and who ultimately has no say influence whatsoever, as we saw with the GOP ignoring Garland's nomination. This is something the "boooo blue dogs, gently caress them all, political purity now" people seem to forget. Yeah it ultimately meant having lovely people like Joe Lieberman but even that rear end in a top hat was preferable to literally any Republican and if Dean's 50 state strategy hadn't been abandoned then maybe the Democrats would have a couple extra seats in the Senate and majority control, meaning they could actually block Trump's insane bullshit instead of cry about it and keep saving the filibuster for the SCOTUS nomination while the GOP just confirms everyone else first.

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

JeffersonClay posted:

Literally no one in the Democratic Party is voting with republicans half the time. Manchin is the worst in terms of voting against the party line and he still votes with the party 75% of the time. And he's an outlier, not a third of the party. I think the best way to ensure people don't get confused about the actual composition of the party would be to make sure democrats like you aren't disseminating a bunch of bullshit about the composition of the party.
Okay well then why don't you outline what the Democratic party stands for aside from "we want incumbent Democrats to win elections" because any time anyone suggests any policy which sounds like it might be coming from a frame of reference somewhere slightly to the left of John McCain, you immediately jump in with "hmmm I don't think that can win elections, let's wait until..."

It's like the loser stink of the Democratic party became powerful enough to take on a corporeal form and buy an account.

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich

Crowsbeak posted:

Jefferson Clay maybe restricting yourself to only people with graduate degrees doesn't actually help in relating to people in poor rural areas. Maybe look for people who support left wing ideas and don't care what their education background is.

Less than 5% of congress doesn't have an undergrad degree. I don't think we should disqualify candidates without one but clearly people with degrees are the large majority of successful candidates. I'm also assuming the population of people who are rural, without a degree, and with impeccable leftist views is pretty drat small. If we find people like that, great, but we'd obviously benefit from having more plausible candidates to choose from.

Kilroy posted:

Okay well then why don't you outline what the Democratic party stands for aside from "we want incumbent Democrats to win elections" because any time anyone suggests any policy which sounds like it might be coming from a frame of reference somewhere slightly to the left of John McCain, you immediately jump in with "hmmm I don't think that can win elections, let's wait until..."

It's like the loser stink of the Democratic party became powerful enough to take on a corporeal form and buy an account.

The Democratic Party is a coalition of groups with aligned but not identical views. I supported the 2016 platform and still think it could win, despite minor disagreements I have with it. I think democrats should do things that make it more likely that the platform becomes law, which at this point in time does require incumbent democrats win elections.

JeffersonClay fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Feb 21, 2017

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

JeffersonClay posted:

Less than 5% of congress doesn't have an undergrad degree. I don't think we should disqualify candidates without one but clearly people with degrees are the large majority of successful candidates. I'm also assuming the population of people who are rural, without a degree, and with impeccable leftist views is pretty drat small. If we find people like that, great, but we'd obviously benefit from having more plausible candidates to choose from.

I am just suggesting that if populist sentiment can be rallied that be given a boost.

Crowsbeak fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Feb 21, 2017

Doloen
Dec 18, 2004

Crowsbeak posted:

I am just suggesting that if populist sentiment can be rallied that be given a boost.

gently caress populism.

The Little Kielbasa
Mar 29, 2001

and another thing: im not mad. please dont put in the newspaper that i got mad.
Having Manchin types deep red states (or House districts) is reasonable, and probably necessary to get the 60 Senate votes you need to actually govern. But there needs to be change in the kinds of senators sitting in blue (e.g. Delaware) and purplish-blue (e.g. Virginia) seats.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
The problem with Manchin types - and the 50 state strategy that installed others like him - is that installing conservative Democrats creates the illusion that a Democratic majority can do anything but fend off Republicans, which just generates more disillusionment when they can't.

This is less about Manchin than it is about Lieberman, but it's even worse at the state and city level, where conservative Democrats - especially mayors - are often openly campaigning on stymying any leftward shift.

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich
There seems to be a significant overlap between the people who are concerned about the existence of conservative democrats creating an anti-progressive distortion of the party and the people who actively spread that distortion. Like the first line from the Justice Democrats platform is

quote:

It’s time to face the facts: the Democratic Party is broken and the corporate, establishment wing of the party is responsible.
these people seem really worried that Joe Manchin's existence might force them to unfairly smear the whole party.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

I see nothing wrong with that quote.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Cease to Hope posted:

The problem with Manchin types - and the 50 state strategy that installed others like him - is that installing conservative Democrats creates the illusion that a Democratic majority can do anything but fend off Republicans, which just generates more disillusionment when they can't.

This is less about Manchin than it is about Lieberman, but it's even worse at the state and city level, where conservative Democrats - especially mayors - are often openly campaigning on stymying any leftward shift.

The thing is that you could instead go for people who are less republican lite. But still not be fully in support of the democratic party line if only there was more attempts to interact with the rural states populations this would be pretty obvious.

Also Clay I think the fianancier dems their worried about is financier golden boy Corey Booker. Who should be primaries if he continues to be a obvious stooge.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich
You mean the only charismatic young and widely liked Dem out there? I mean you can try and primary the guy who ran into burning houses to rescue his constituents, or maybe you could try and beat Republicans.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Crowsbeak posted:

The thing is that you could instead go for people who are less republican lite. But still not be fully in support of the democratic party line if only there was more attempts to interact with the rural states populations this would be pretty obvious.

Also Clay I think the fianancier dems their worried about is financier golden boy Corey Booker. Who should be primaries if he continues to be a obvious stooge.

Are you like, alright dude?

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Crowsbeak posted:

The real question isn't "should we primary Cory Booker", it's "who, specifically, should run against Cory Booker in the primary". He's beaten people in primaries before without the help of incumbency advantage, and now he's an incumbent with a solid approval rating and a poo poo-ton of campaign money and donor ties. Is there any rising star in New Jersey politics who wasn't around in 2013 but is now up to challenge him? It's ultimately up to the voters to decide who holds these seats, and the Bookers and Feinsteins seem to have no problem winning election after election.

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

The Little Kielbasa posted:

Having Manchin types deep red states (or House districts) is reasonable, and probably necessary to get the 60 Senate votes you need to actually govern. But there needs to be change in the kinds of senators sitting in blue (e.g. Delaware) and purplish-blue (e.g. Virginia) seats.
The GOP is able to pull off something like this which is why on controversial stuff you routinely see a few of the more vulnerable GOP Senators and Reps pulling away but never quite enough for it to actually affect the vote. The inverse is too often what you get on the Democratic side, with vulnerable Senators and Reps holding the rest of the party hostage. If I voted for Barack Obama because I wanted a public option on health care, I don't really give a drat if the reason it didn't happen is because of some shithead from Connecticut who used to be a Democrat. I will pin the failure either on the President or on the party, and either way it's going to affect a lot more races than just in Connecticut.

JeffersonClay would retort "that's why we needed to keep Lieberman in the fold instead of primarying him" conveniently ignoring that Lieberman was a shithead before he ever got primaried by Lamont. Where the Democratic party failed there was not in allowing Lieberman to lose a primary challenge but in losing against him in the general election. So it goes with the Manchins of the party now - let them run as independents if that's what they want to be.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Crowsbeak posted:

I am referring specifically to Dean's 50 State Strategy, which did seek to elect blue dog Democrats on the presumption that they were the only ones who could get elected in "red" states.

Those Democrats didn't stick, and they depressed Democratic support and turnout in the states where any Democratic role in government was most at risk. I think supporting Democrats everywhere is important, but I haven't yet seen how either Ellison or Perez plan to gain ground and prevent more Liebermans and Manchins.

That's why all of this noise about not giving in to the "hard left" is so obnoxious: one of the would-be Democratic rising stars is running black sites for the city police to torture people. There does need to be a reckoning, for justice, for optics, and so Democrats can govern at all.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Kilroy posted:

So it goes with the Manchins of the party now - let them run as independents if that's what they want to be.

So we're cutting Bernie off now and going to run someone against him?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

So we're cutting Bernie off now and going to run someone against him?

Sanders ran in the Democratic primary and won it. It's part of his agreement to caucus with Democrats.

• Locked thread