Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Elephant Ambush posted:

What' the deal with Eiko? I see people complaining about her on other sites as well.

Her MC3 came in a crossover event in Japan that we never got in global and they never gave another way to get it. She has a healer BSB which I think is still top tier (?) but her HP pool is very low and being stuck at 80 while content gets progressively harder is not great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

On the bright side, you Cait Sith lovers get to have his record spheres unlocked in the Rufus event. They're slowly figuring out how to get this content back to us.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

IcePhoenix posted:

Her MC3 came in a crossover event in Japan that we never got in global and they never gave another way to get it. She has a healer BSB which I think is still top tier (?) but her HP pool is very low and being stuck at 80 while content gets progressively harder is not great.

Also her record dive and Bard Motes in that same event.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

i could use some White Crystals Bard Motes

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

And pulled. 3/11: Red Scorpion, Exeter, and Edea's Faithga/Hastega.

Kinda wanted a BSB but I guess I'll take it. Maybe make a mage team while I'm at it.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

In general, how many turns do I have before I need to refresh buffs like protectga? Let's say as a rule of thumb.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Fister Roboto posted:

In general, how many turns do I have before I need to refresh buffs like protectga? Let's say as a rule of thumb.

when you run out of all your other ability/sb uses

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Fister Roboto posted:

Protectga/Shellga should last pretty much the entire fight. They have a base duration of 35 seconds and that duration is extended by the caster's Mind stat.

Also, protect and shell actually have visual indicators (yellow and green pulsing glows to the characters).

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Fister Roboto posted:

The short answer is "a lot". Many named status effects (as opposed to stat changes like breaks or Wall) have durations that scale off the caster's MND. In particular, detrimental named status effects will also scale off the target's MND, such that the difference is what really matters. (Slow technically scales in such a manner but at such a small rate that you don't need to care.) Anyway, Protect and Shell each have a duration of 35 seconds + 3 seconds per 100 MND. In most situations you'll have at least 300 MND, which means that unless a fight drags on for longer than 44 seconds (possible but unlikely in most cases) you don't need to care.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

As a good rule of thumb, I generally refresh my proshellgas when Y'shtola pops Asylum, since that stoneskin means she has a functionally useless turn anyway unless the boss is really making GBS threads out damage or wall has worn out.

For someone not in my "BSB but not wall" situation, refreshing proshellga after you refresh your second RW wall (assuming you don't have it native) or third native wall is likely to keep you going through the entire fight.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I've definitely had a lot of fights that last a lot longer than 44 seconds, and I'm asking because I've lost a lot of fights because my defensive buffs wore off at a bad time, sooooo

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

Against my better judgment I pulled FF VIII banner 2 because I'm stupid and also I want Edea's stuff because she's great. Also Quistis's OSB.

Got Sorceress's Gown and Edea's Valkyrie.

gently caress yea :frogc00l:

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Fister Roboto posted:

I've definitely had a lot of fights that last a lot longer than 44 seconds, and I'm asking because I've lost a lot of fights because my defensive buffs wore off at a bad time, sooooo

If the fight is going to go long I try to refresh when the boss's health reaches 50%. It's a good, lazy way to make sure mitigation never lapses

Rynyin
Feb 10, 2006

H.Y.C.Y.BH?

It's like the game knew I was starting to lose interest. Haven't been doing all the content and skipped a few U++ battles, and I'm still behind on even attempting Torment despite probably being equipped for them.

Today I did 2 100 gem pulls, Fujin BSB and Quistis OSB.

drat game keeps drawing me back in.

LornMarkus
Nov 8, 2011

Nihilarian posted:

looks like my tablet's broke lol

for now I downloaded Nox but Record Keeper runs like rear end on it? Any tips on improving performance outside of "get a new computer"?

Actually the sad part is until just like two days ago it ran as well on Nox as it did on any android-based system, but out of nowhere mine has become literal garbage and I have no idea why. So you might have to try a different emulator or just put up with it until it (hopefully) fixes itself.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
it was nice of them to give a poison vulnerability to the committee since hail to the queen RW pretty much ensures 2x9999 attacks every round on all three of them

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.

Snazzy Frocks posted:

it was nice of them to give a poison vulnerability to the committee since hail to the queen RW pretty much ensures 2x9999 attacks every round on all three of them

Edgar's OSB did 60k per target. :getin:

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Soloing the Bahamut Battle U+ was fun. It's crazy how much damage everyone was doing after the combination of Mug Bloodlust, Ark Blast, and Mist Overload. I dunno if I can do the same thing for Apocalypse, but I'm tempted to try. I also beat Squall fairly handily, though doing Draw & Junction as a counter was kind of annoying, undoing all the breaks and such.

The Committee might be too hard for me, but I'll at least give it the ol' college try when I get there. But that'll be for later. I also cleared all the normal-difficulty dungeons (plus the FF11 elites) and got up to 179 stamina, and will probably wrap up my business with the other Elites tomorrow. Then it's Nightmare time and time to see if I can grab and utilize Omega Drive.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Is it just me, or is the "Select Nightmare Relic Draw" pretty awful? Everything on it is outdated to some degree or another in a really weird contrast with the more standard Omega Drive banner.

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House

Alxprit posted:

Soloing the Bahamut Battle U+ was fun. It's crazy how much damage everyone was doing after the combination of Mug Bloodlust, Ark Blast, and Mist Overload. I dunno if I can do the same thing for Apocalypse, but I'm tempted to try.
It's worth a shot at 1 stamina. I did it solo with Mug Bloodlust, Faris' BSB, and a medica with mblink for my mitigation.

NGDBSS posted:

Is it just me, or is the "Select Nightmare Relic Draw" pretty awful? Everything on it is outdated to some degree or another in a really weird contrast with the more standard Omega Drive banner.
It's awful

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

Ended up soloing Bahamut Apoc because of connection issues - whether they were mine or other people's I'm not sure.

It wasn't so bad once I realized all of Bahamut's attacks ignore defenses and I stopped using SG in favor of Keeper's Tome and its magic blink. Only lost Setzer due to bad timing, but he was only my breakdown bitch so whatever. Quistis and Edea did all the heavy lifting.

Edit: also CM down because jfc Quistis and Edea are death machines.

UHD fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Feb 21, 2017

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

NGDBSS posted:

It wouldn't have been good if it had launched months ago, let alone in the middle of the current banners and the upcoming anniversary.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

4/11 on Banner 2 :woop:

Quistis's Dress - not Doomtrain, but not a booby prize either, seems pretty drat solid
Crescent Wish - never mad about a Mblink
Sorceress Gown - my first imperil dark, just opened up a new team type
Sorceress Crown - meh, maybe good as CM

Inge
Jan 16, 2007
SERIOUSLY THATS DISGUSTING I'M TRYING TO EAT

djfooboo posted:

Quistis's Dress - not Doomtrain, but not a booby prize either, seems pretty drat solid

If you have another source of haste, like mighty guard, forget about Inaugural parade - memento mori gives a stronger magic boost.

Cinnamon Bear
Aug 29, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I really wanted something for Edea to join my Dark Mage team but all I ended up with was Crescent Wish/11. And honestly I'm pretty okay with that, now I just need to get Selphie and I should have a perfectly capable and outfitted FF8 team.

Saving up for the Anniversary is painful. So many things I want to pull on.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk

djfooboo posted:

The Dress is way better than Doomtrain. EnPoison + the self buff makes for ridiculous damage.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

What's the context behind Doomtrain, anyway? I've never played FF8, and I don't recall anything relevant from plot summaries or long-ago screenshot LPs.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

NGDBSS posted:

What's the context behind Doomtrain, anyway? I've never played FF8, and I don't recall anything relevant from plot summaries or long-ago screenshot LPs.
It's likely partially a callback to Phantom Train from FFVI, but it was a summon first introduced in FFVIII. You had to do some obscure item collection to satisfy the conditions to obtain Doomtrain (there was an in-game hint guide for it). Doomtrain's attack, Runaway Train, is Poison-elemental and can inflict several abnormal statuses on the enemies: Sleep, Poison, Darkness, Silence, Slow, Stop, Berserk, Confuse, Doom, Petrifying, and Vit 0.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z4VjvBaMHJg

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

It's a spooky ghost train that you can summon to inflict a bunch of status effects. That;s about it.

Varance
Oct 28, 2004

Ladies, hide your footwear!
Nap Ghost

Hogama posted:

It's likely partially a callback to Phantom Train from FFVI, but it was a summon first introduced in FFVIII. You had to do some obscure item collection to satisfy the conditions to obtain Doomtrain (there was an in-game hint guide for it). Doomtrain's attack, Runaway Train, is Poison-elemental and can inflict several abnormal statuses on the enemies: Sleep, Poison, Darkness, Silence, Slow, Stop, Berserk, Confuse, Doom, Petrifying, and Vit 0.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uruxx8hr1tQ

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

KPC_Mammon posted:

The Dress is way better than Doomtrain. EnPoison + the self buff makes for ridiculous damage.

It was a nostalgia pull, not a real pull. FFVIII was my first FF all-clear, and Doontrain was my favorite summon.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Hogama posted:

Gotcha. I like how it's absolutely stupid in a good way, and that DeNA decided that the only way they could improve on perfection was to make the animation a bit shorter to better suit their mobile game.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

I keep hoping they'll actually add Doomtrain as a summon, would be cool to have a source of Poison damage for summoners.

Also I want them to add Eden, and I want the animation to take so long that all your buffs wear off before it finishes. (Actually I was meaning to ask about that - do timers pause while SB animations are going? Some of them are pretty lengthy)

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Timers pause yes, but jump time doesn't.

Boogaloo Shrimp
Aug 2, 2004

ApplesandOranges posted:

Timers pause yes, but jump time doesn't.

Note that this can be exploited with jump abilities that have long airtime. Airtime count down speed follows the battle speed setting, but animations always play at the same speed. Thus, you can cheese airtimes by setting speed to 5 just before an animation plays, then back down to 1 (or whatever you play at) once the animation finishes, and airtime will have counted down a bunch more than if you had left battle speed at a low setting.

Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.
Since I have Kain's bsb, I might as well hone sky high. I've tried the whole r1 approach of lightning dive, and it sucks rear end. But with 4 uses I can spend less time charging during my bsb and more time jumping. Sky high should be the same! Though it'll still be the last 6* I hone, so I have time to think about it.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Sprite141 posted:

Since I have Kain's bsb, I might as well hone sky high. I've tried the whole r1 approach of lightning dive, and it sucks rear end. But with 4 uses I can spend less time charging during my bsb and more time jumping. Sky high should be the same! Though it'll still be the last 6* I hone, so I have time to think about it.

With Kain's BSB, Lightning Dive will outdamage Sky High significantly. Not only does it get the element boost, but Sky High is only roughly equal power to begin with unless you have multiple 'goons playing jump patrol.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Sprite141 posted:

if you're disappointed by Lightning DIve, you're not going to like Sky High any better.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
I just unlocked 2 copies of Sky High and I use them both. Usually on different characters but sometimes not.

I did the same with Snowspell Strike.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cinnamon Bear
Aug 29, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Is there anything on the XII, XIII, or II banners people are excited for?

• Locked thread