Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GeminiSun
Feb 16, 2011

Feleng/Felunge is actually not a bad design. Execution is shaky, but the design itself appeals to me. I'm tempted to have a go at fixing it.

GeminiSun fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Feb 21, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

AlphaKretin posted:

There are wild level 10 Salamance. :v:

Actually, by that logic, you could catch low-level Dragonite! The Dragonites that spawn in SOS battle can be anywhere from Lv10 to Lv59 since it's a fishing spot where you find the dratini/dragonairs.

So yeah, Lance just caught an Alolan one. :v:

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

Felunge just looks like a boring Zangoose knockoff without a cool stripe, to me

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Zapdos Goku is amazing.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING

Aerdan posted:

Gonna stop you right there, because here's why people do fangames/romhacks of Pokemon games:

"I wanna make my own Pokemon game! With blackjack! And hookers! And it'll have all the same things all the official games have because how else are you going to know it's a Pokemon game?"

this is galling. I would love to play a straightforward romhack that uses the Gen V engine as a base, and gets rid of some of the bad things like HMs, the stupid "oh, it learns the move a couple of levels before its evolution level" nonsense, and the like. And just make it bright, and cheerful, but very difficult. And not in an artificial way - more in terms of giving the enemy trainers better tactics, having gauntlets of trainers, and giving the gym leaders more Pokemon from the get-go.

but then, anyone with the talent and the intelligence to see that that would be the best kind of romhack is probably good enough to make their own game, and would rather do that.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Spatula City posted:

And not in an artificial way - more in terms of giving the enemy trainers better tactics, having gauntlets of trainers, and giving the gym leaders more Pokemon from the get-go.

Yeah, that emphasized part is kind of a dealbreaker - not in the sense that it ruins things, but that it's really, really hard to actually implement better than the main games already do. Even as of more recent games, you had two AI modes - complete roulette (usually used for trash trainers and wild pokemon) and an actual rudimentary AI that did things like picked super-effective moves and did buff->sweep setups and the like, mostly used for gym leaders/plot battles/etc. You could give every battle the gym leader AI, sure, but even then that's pretty easily gamed and mostly comes down to "using the right pokemon for the job".

Gauntlets of trainers might be seen by some players as artificial difficulty, mind you, though I think most long-time/higher-skill players want trainers with 6 pokemon in main plot again. It's a tradeoff - sure, battles are a little harder, but they're also more lucrative in EXP and pokebucks.

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

I really dislike that they turned the player character into someone's incredibly boring O.C with a terrible name. Part of the game's immersion is that you can name your trainer after yourself and the Pokémon you obtain on your quest are personally yours, hence why there's a lot more emphasis on character customization.

While it's a small gripe, especially since a lot of other games have you control a character with his or her own identity, I can't help but feel offended by the fact that this game's creators took that bit of agency from the player but replaced with the most bland character design and name possible.

majormonotone
Jan 25, 2013

pretty sure ofs chose the name Dick Solomon

e: yeah they did

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

I mean, the "incredibly boring OC" part is still valid, but aside from the drab Generic Pokemon Trainer character design and ~tragic backstory~ that's par for the course for Pokemon protagonists.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."

PBJ posted:

Character design chat

One thing to note is that due to the new trainer customization in Gen VI onwards, the player can go hatless, but the devs put a lot of effort into making sure your clothes still look distinctive compared to other trainers (well, non-unique ones, anyway), and I'd say it's your backpack/messenger bag (which can't be removed, only returned to a default design) becomes the visual touchstone. In fact, that's the other consistent feature of the default characters besides the headwear, is that they've all got some sort of backpack or messenger bag. It's the lack of either feature that really makes the Uranium PC indistinguishable from a generic trainer type. Like, before the LP started, if you'd told me that that's the Uranium version of the Youngster, I'd believe it.

I like how the mascot for that blog isn't even Fire/Fighting (it's Fire/Dark). Also a lot of those designs are rad as hell and now I kind of want to see the RPG Maker Pokemon fangame that implements that Pokedex. Ultimate Pokemon Turbo Final Ultra HD Megamix Tag Tournament: The Third Challengers.

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

Huh... I guess I wasn't paying much attention to the story itself. My bad.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Zuzie posted:

I really dislike that they turned the player character into someone's incredibly boring O.C with a terrible name. Part of the game's immersion is that you can name your trainer after yourself and the Pokémon you obtain on your quest are personally yours, hence why there's a lot more emphasis on character customization.

While it's a small gripe, especially since a lot of other games have you control a character with his or her own identity, I can't help but feel offended by the fact that this game's creators took that bit of agency from the player but replaced with the most bland character design and name possible.

Every pokemon main character is basically designed to be an incredibly boring OC though to be fair.

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

the amount of people in this thread who haven't watched Third Rock depresses me, but also I'm old. :(

krisslanza
May 6, 2011
You know, I kind of like the "Last Pokemon" music change and dialogue, but my issue with it in every Pokemon game has typically been - because of the way I play of rarely ever changing Pokemon - I'm one or twoshotting most anyone I fight. Which kind of gets rid of that feeling of ending a climatic showdown, when I just hit it once and it keels over anyway.

Also am I the only person who actually liked HMs?

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

KataraniSword posted:

Yeah, that emphasized part is kind of a dealbreaker - not in the sense that it ruins things, but that it's really, really hard to actually implement better than the main games already do. Even as of more recent games, you had two AI modes - complete roulette (usually used for trash trainers and wild pokemon) and an actual rudimentary AI that did things like picked super-effective moves and did buff->sweep setups and the like, mostly used for gym leaders/plot battles/etc. You could give every battle the gym leader AI, sure, but even then that's pretty easily gamed and mostly comes down to "using the right pokemon for the job".

Gauntlets of trainers might be seen by some players as artificial difficulty, mind you, though I think most long-time/higher-skill players want trainers with 6 pokemon in main plot again. It's a tradeoff - sure, battles are a little harder, but they're also more lucrative in EXP and pokebucks.

The battle maison/battle tree/battle subway AI seems pretty good with the specialty sets designed by gamefreak. Would it be too hard to just distribute the useful postgame sets to trainers out in the wild?

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

WarpedLichen posted:

The battle maison/battle tree/battle subway AI seems pretty good with the specialty sets designed by gamefreak. Would it be too hard to just distribute the useful postgame sets to trainers out in the wild?

The AI for those is actually incredibly basic, since programming individual ones for the hundreds of movesets would be a daunting task. It pretty much prioritizes a status move if it has one, uses a super effective move if it has one, and just goes with its strongest option if there's nothing else it can choose from. It doesn't even try to predict or remember that you have a Pokemon immune to a certain type, like some of the trainers in the main game are capable of doing.

Shiki Dan
Oct 27, 2010

If ya can move ya toes ya back's fine
Y'know, for the Gym Leader desperation mode music change, you could always use the Barkley 2 version of JTT...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bx-IdLjqJvg

LAY-ZX
Nov 10, 2009

This is basically what tumblr was invented for, I think

krisslanza posted:

Yes because nobody should actually like covering their Pokemon in awful moves that you can't get rid of just so you can progress through the game, especially now that SuMo has proven that there are perfectly viable means of getting past those obstacles without doing that. And don't bring up Surf and Waterfall, just because they're actually good attacks doesn't mean they excuse HMs as a concept.

e: Also Orange Fluffy Brother should definitely be allowed to continue giving things awful names

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

krisslanza posted:

Yes.

LAY-ZX posted:

And don't bring up Surf and Waterfall, just because they're actually good attacks doesn't mean they excuse HMs as a concept.

A good move doesn't excuse a mandatory, indelible move. The fact it's required and can't be (easily) removed once it's on is the damning factor, not the move being poo poo.

Honestly, all the HMs are decent except for Cut, Flash, and maybe Rock Smash. (We don't count Whirlpool, Gen 2's Greatest Sin.)

LAY-ZX
Nov 10, 2009

KataraniSword posted:

Honestly, all the HMs are decent except for Cut, Flash, and maybe Rock Smash. (We don't count Whirlpool, Gen 2's Greatest Sin.)

Defog. :colbert:

krisslanza
May 6, 2011

LAY-ZX posted:

Yes because nobody should actually like covering their Pokemon in awful moves that you can't get rid of just so you can progress through the game, especially now that SuMo has proven that there are perfectly viable means of getting past those obstacles without doing that. And don't bring up Surf and Waterfall, just because they're actually good attacks doesn't mean they excuse HMs as a concept.

e: Also Orange Fluffy Brother should definitely be allowed to continue giving things awful names

The other 5 Pokemon in my party are all filler anyway, I just roll with my starter usually and ends up being nearly level 99 by the E4 :haw:
This is probably why I didn't mind HM moves since I didn't really USE a lot of the Pokemon I caught...
(I'm probably playing Pokemon wrong)

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

Defog looks bad at a glance but it also removes Safeguard, Reflect, Light Screen, Mist, and Aurora Veil from the enemy side and entry hazards from both sides* (so careful if you use those). It is very niche though, that's undeniable.

e: *but only starting in Gen 6 (prior ones just removed any you'd set up for your opponent), so in DPPt it was yes pretty bad.

AweStriker fucked around with this message at 07:51 on Feb 21, 2017

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

The Eevolutions killed me.

LAY-ZX
Nov 10, 2009

Capfalcon posted:

The Eevolutions killed me.

It was Slowpoke that did me in.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

krisslanza posted:

I like the concept of HMs, which is to say that I like the idea that Pokemon can do things outside of fighting. However, since most almost all HM moves are terrible to use in actual combat, even at the time you get them, and can only be removed by one person in the world, I think they seriously flubbed the execution. I think the best way to deal with HMs would have been to either: make them a fifth move that a Pokemon could learn, limiting each Pokemon to four combat powers and one utility power; or to eliminate HM moves and make the HMs an inherent part of the badge system, allowing any Pokemon who can learn the HM to use the power as long as you have the associated Gym Badge. Both systems benefit from making HMs non-combat, reducing screen clutter. This system can even work with some non-HM moves, like Teleport, Sweet Scent, or Flash (outside of Gen 1). Some Pokemon who start with a move useable outside of combat would either start with their "field move" slot filled, or would have extra "field moves". The current "rental Pokemon" system I hear they've implemented in Sun and Moon sounds like an acceptable alternative, but I feel like it would kill some of the immersion for me; suddenly I can't have my giant bird fly me around, but this other guy's giant bird can do it just fine? Meh.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Commander Keene posted:

The current "rental Pokemon" system I hear they've implemented in Sun and Moon sounds like an acceptable alternative, but I feel like it would kill some of the immersion for me; suddenly I can't have my giant bird fly me around, but this other guy's giant bird can do it just fine? Meh.

I believe the explanation in Sun/Moon is that the travel Pokemon are specially trained for that, as an equivalent to service animals, which makes a reasonable amount of sense. Presumably your average goofball 12-year-old isn't going to be able to train his giant bird to safely fly passengers long distance, even if the Pokemon is theoretically capable of doing so.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Commander Keene posted:

I like the concept of HMs, which is to say that I like the idea that Pokemon can do things outside of fighting. However, since most almost all HM moves are terrible to use in actual combat, even at the time you get them, and can only be removed by one person in the world, I think they seriously flubbed the execution. I think the best way to deal with HMs would have been to either: make them a fifth move that a Pokemon could learn, limiting each Pokemon to four combat powers and one utility power; or to eliminate HM moves and make the HMs an inherent part of the badge system, allowing any Pokemon who can learn the HM to use the power as long as you have the associated Gym Badge. Both systems benefit from making HMs non-combat, reducing screen clutter. This system can even work with some non-HM moves, like Teleport, Sweet Scent, or Flash (outside of Gen 1). Some Pokemon who start with a move useable outside of combat would either start with their "field move" slot filled, or would have extra "field moves". The current "rental Pokemon" system I hear they've implemented in Sun and Moon sounds like an acceptable alternative, but I feel like it would kill some of the immersion for me; suddenly I can't have my giant bird fly me around, but this other guy's giant bird can do it just fine? Meh.

You think any random bird has the license to safely carry people from place to place? You could've got that thing from anywhere! You need a well-trained audited bird that is a proven safe flyer, and will always get you to your destination no matter what. Safety first y'know?

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."

Commander Keene posted:

Effectively, it's due to legal restrictions in Alola, as far as flying goes. I recall some NPC chatter about Poke Rides saying that you can only ride a specially trained and licensed Pokemon for flying in Alolan airspace (to paraphrase), and that seems to apply to the other varieties of Poke Ride. It's not that you physically couldn't use the various HMs, it's that you're not allowed to.

EDIT: gently caress, beaten.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
On the other hand, the removal of HMs meant that they had to introduce way more NPC roadblocks to railroad you instead, so it's up to you if HMs were preferable to that or not.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

Dr. Fetus posted:

On the other hand, the removal of HMs meant that they had to introduce way more NPC roadblocks to railroad you instead, so it's up to you if HMs were preferable to that or not.

Ride Pokemon are absolutely preferable even if there really are more roadblocks than in other games. It's dumb to apparently give you six team slots, but in reality stick you with 4 to 5 depending on the game, because the other two are perma-fainted dead weight that you need to keep around to move forward.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Dr. Fetus posted:

Black and White 2 shows that they can do both! So Sun and Moon is certainly preferable to that. And to be honest I don't really remember too many npc roadblocks outside of the Stoutland in Island 2, but they still use not having the right rental pokemon to traverse the area the same way they used HMs. It just doesn't take up a move slot, or a place on the team, and is often easier to activate.

AmewTheFox
Oct 7, 2015

I AM THE STRENGTH

Mister Olympus posted:

Ride Pokemon are absolutely preferable even if there really are more roadblocks than in other games. It's dumb to apparently give you six team slots, but in reality stick you with 4 to 5 depending on the game, because the other two are perma-fainted dead weight that you need to keep around to move forward.

Hey, they aren't entirely useless. Someone has to be a meatshield for healing.

Additionally, if I were to design a HM-Like system, kinda like Pokemon Tabletop's capability system, and perchance also sticking it behind badges. Also it would eliminate extraneous edge cases of super-tiny Pokemon being able to ferry you.

On topic, I will agree that there isn't a whole lot of visual distraction for protagonist-man. I mean, the rival looks more distinct than him, despite looking like he should be in a card game anime.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Why is zapdos fire now

gently caress

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Gridlocked posted:

Why is zapdos fire now

gently caress

It's also fighting! :allears:

LAY-ZX
Nov 10, 2009

Antivehicular posted:

I believe the explanation in Sun/Moon is that the travel Pokemon are specially trained for that, as an equivalent to service animals, which makes a reasonable amount of sense. Presumably your average goofball 12-year-old isn't going to be able to train his giant bird to safely fly passengers long distance, even if the Pokemon is theoretically capable of doing so.

This Machamp is specially trained to cuddle you just right while pushing heavy things

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

LAY-ZX posted:

This Machamp is specially trained to cuddle you just right while pushing heavy things

Would you want to be cuddled by an untrained Machamp while it's pushing heavy things? That sounds like a recipe for getting flexed into a pulp

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

The funniest thing about this is that the blog's avatar is an Incineroar :eng99:

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

CoffeeAvenger posted:

I'll admit the Felenge and Felunge look the closest to decent pokemon that I've seen so far, but even they ever-so-slightly miss the mark.

I tried improving Felunge's sprite a bit, dunno if it's any better though. :shrug:

That is the female Felunge sprite, almost exactly. :v:

Unknown Quantity
Sep 2, 2011

!
Steven? Steven?!
STEEEEEEVEEEEEEEN!
It'd be way too much effort to implement, but I kinda wish you could handle any gym in any order, assuming you can reach it and get through the wild Pokemon. The idea of that being that each gym leader has multiple sets of pokemon based on how many badges their challenger has. Granted that would mean giving every single gym leader (except maybe one or two tied behind plot) eight different sets of Pokemon at varying levels and total numbers of Pokemon. Of course, the fact that these save-the-world plots have to take center stage now and turn the League run and Pokedex run into minor objectives at best makes this even more unfeasible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Games > Let's Play! > Pokemon Uranium: I wanna be the very best, unlike my dead(beat) parents

• Locked thread