Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Lil Mama Im Sorry posted:

The newest episode dips into the same sort of sentiment as the Adam Curtis ep, but they briefly touch on how postmodern lit and all types of social satire had been pointing us as a society getting to the point we're at now. The eerie part is how none of that art really shows anything beyond this point, which I don't really agree with when I think about it (we have tons of post-apocalyptic art showing where we theoretically go from here). I think the future is a tough thing for anyone to conceptualize right now.

We have post-apocalyptic art and lit, but it's not really showing where we go from here. It's showing where we go from some huge, cataclysmic event like a nuclear apocalypse or a mass epidemic or climate change frying the planet, not just society slowly collapsing in on itself. Nobody's ever really entertained the idea of the global status quo falling apart in a whimper, rather than a bang, that I've seen (aside from, say, Robocop or Transmetropolitan).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

The first two Mad Maxes are pretty firmly in the "slow death of society" school of post apocalyptica, id say

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

The original Mad Max is mostly inspired by the oil crisis of 1973.

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

I'M BACK AND I'M SCARIN' WHITE FOLKS
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/s...t-a7590281.html

Guuuuuuuuuys

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

"Life does exist on other planets. Just in time for life to end on ours."

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

"The crew of the international space station has been in secret talks with an alien species that recently has begun harvesting the moons of saturn for resources, and we are pleased to announce that, in light of recent political shifts on planet Earth, they have decided to conquer our planet and supplant our leaders in the name of our best interests."

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

I'm frankly surprised to see how annoyed I get seeing it written as "Nasa" instead of "NASA."

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Spatula City posted:

Hannibal is abstract crazy nonsense. I love it, but there's no shame in disliking it. but ya got to give it up for Mads Mikkelsen's performance. Hopkins played Lecter as high camp, but Mikkelsen goes for "aspiring to be actually Satan".

it's a shame that the only actual good hannibal is manhunter

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

corn in the bible posted:

Silence of the Lambs kicks rear end

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Oh man Hell or High Water freakin owns

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

Oh man Hell or High Water freakin owns
Yeah, it does.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

corn in the bible posted:

This is some straight-up horseshit because

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

Silence of the Lambs kicks rear end

also, Red Dragon is okay. Edward Norton sucks poo poo, but Ralph Fiennes, Emily Watson, and Philip Seymour Hoffman do some heavy lifting.

Also, I've now had two minor celebrities talk to me about Starship Troopers. Lowtax mocked me and asked if I was a Casper van Dien fan, and one of the lead singers of the Dead Milkmen says:
https://twitter.com/RodneyAnon/status/833888960497729538

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
I'mm watch Working Girl.

edit:

It rules already

okay, now I commit, I swear

K. Waste fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Feb 21, 2017

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
feels like atm's should play a lil song when you make a deposit. just one man's oponion

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

Anonymous Robot posted:

feels like atm's should play a lil song when you make a deposit. just one man's oponion

Yeah, "I Feel Like Fixin' to Die."

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Anonymous Robot posted:

Look at this fancy boy, depositing money like some kind of tycoon

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

K. Waste posted:

Yeah, "I Feel Like Fixin' to Die."

and that's one two three
digits! not even a thou

Death By The Blues
Oct 30, 2011
Like a Tim Curry laugh that gets more unhinged/longer the larger amount you withdraw.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
What if the ATM just moaned in sexual pleasure as you inserted money into it?

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
Or cried like an infant.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
Every once in a while I have this weird fantasy about adults crying like children do, over minor inconveniences, or falling down. Like, a grown woman stumbling in the supermarket and going down in front of the cereal aisle, and she starts hitching and sobbing. Someone in Starbucks sitting in a chair, face red, eyes all screwed up, weeping and hiccuping because they didn't get whipped cream on their frappucino.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Every once in a while I have this weird fantasy about adults crying like children do, over minor inconveniences, or falling down. Like, a grown woman stumbling in the supermarket and going down in front of the cereal aisle, and she starts hitching and sobbing.

Maybe your subconscious wants you to direct infomercials

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Every once in a while I have this weird fantasy about adults crying like children do, over minor inconveniences, or falling down. Like, a grown woman stumbling in the supermarket and going down in front of the cereal aisle, and she starts hitching and sobbing.

Literally the most horrific part of Jeremy Irons' performance in Dead Ringers is strictly about him crying like a child about ice cream. It really loving gets under my skin.

Also, the song "Lady in Red" showing up has pretty much confirmed my suspicion that there's connective tissue between Working Girl and American Psycho.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

Hat Thoughts posted:

Maybe your subconscious wants you to direct infomercials

I'd be so down for a Weird Informercial.

"Has this ever happened to you?"
[woman drops bar of soap into sink full of water. she breaks out into hysterical tears]

edit:

K. Waste posted:

Literally the most horrific part of Jeremy Irons' performance in Dead Ringers is strictly about him crying like a child about ice cream. It really loving gets under my skin.

That's an excellent scene. When I showed that movie to my husband he had absolutely no idea Jeremy Irons is only one person until I mentioned it almost halfway through and he was like "wait, you're joking".

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Death By The Blues posted:

Like a Tim Curry laugh that gets more unhinged/longer the larger amount you withdraw.
Tim Curry is a well known enemy of capitalism.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1Sq1Nr58hM

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

Magic Hate Ball posted:

That's an excellent scene. When I showed that movie to my husband he had absolutely no idea Jeremy Irons is only one person until I mentioned it almost halfway through and he was like "wait, you're joking".

Still probably my favorite Cronenberg.

Also, Working Girl is really good.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

K. Waste posted:

Or cried like an infant.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t9YRD4KrIqQ&t=121s

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

K. Waste posted:

Still probably my favorite Cronenberg.

Also, Working Girl is really good.

I like that subgenre of films that are mostly forgotten but were a huge part of the cultural atmosphere at the time, like Ice Castles or Summer of '42. My mom still watches The Turning Point regularly (which is a legit great film).

Also, the main character in Working Girl works in mergers and acquisitions.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

Jesus.

Magic Hate Ball posted:

I like that subgenre of films that are mostly forgotten but were a huge part of the cultural atmosphere at the time, like Ice Castles or Summer of '42. My mom still watches The Turning Point regularly (which is a legit great film).

Also, the main character in Working Girl works in mergers and acquisitions.

I just realized both it and Dead Ringers are '88 films.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

We have post-apocalyptic art and lit, but it's not really showing where we go from here. It's showing where we go from some huge, cataclysmic event like a nuclear apocalypse or a mass epidemic or climate change frying the planet, not just society slowly collapsing in on itself. Nobody's ever really entertained the idea of the global status quo falling apart in a whimper, rather than a bang, that I've seen (aside from, say, Robocop or Transmetropolitan).

When I watched Snowtown I got the impression it was exactly that. Put a little "In the not so distant future" card at the beginning and you have your realtime-apocalypse movie.

What is it with Australia and the collapse of civilization?

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

So far this is the only thing that has hurt him, since it got his book deal cancelled and breitbart to turn on him

I knew it got him uninvited from the CPAC conference, I was unaware of these other things. I'm delighted to hear.

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Every once in a while I have this weird fantasy about adults crying like children do, over minor inconveniences, or falling down. Like, a grown woman stumbling in the supermarket and going down in front of the cereal aisle, and she starts hitching and sobbing. Someone in Starbucks sitting in a chair, face red, eyes all screwed up, weeping and hiccuping because they didn't get whipped cream on their frappucino.

One time I burst into tears because someone ate my cashews but I have very severe depression and it wasn't really about the cashews.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

Grendels Dad posted:

When I watched Snowtown I got the impression it was exactly that. Put a little "In the not so distant future" card at the beginning and you have your realtime-apocalypse movie.

The funny thing is that movie is based on an actual series of murders, in the '90s.

Neurophage
Oct 11, 2012
Superb Cannon Film trash: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FcBSMb2ffrY

Penitentiary III is one of the most insane movies I've ever seen.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

CPL593H posted:

One time I burst into tears because someone ate my cashews but I have very severe depression and it wasn't really about the cashews.
To be fair, cashews are worth crying over.

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.

me right now:

Safety Factor posted:

Tim Curry is a well known enemy of capitalism.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1Sq1Nr58hM

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Safety Factor posted:

To be fair, cashews are worth crying over.

Just imagine if it had been macadamias.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
I'm sometimes ambivalent when it comes to found footage, but this new flick looks sick

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Honest Thief posted:

I'm sometimes ambivalent when it comes to found footage, but this new flick looks sick

He's a half right

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
I like all the images we can get now from other solar systems:

https://twitter.com/PlanetQuest/status/824805606049472512

Bonus pic of Earth and the moon from Mars:

https://twitter.com/NASAEarth/status/822821061960040449

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

It's going to be something meaningless to the layman but a little more exciting to the group. Like "We think we have found an environment similar to what earth was like way back when before life started."

Layman: "Uh ok who cares? How does this help me earn more money to eat this Donut that Trump wants to ban? I thought you discovered hot alien chicks who want to mate with mankind."
Scientists: "Yay this is super rare. Ok."

• Locked thread