Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vandelay industries
Apr 6, 2007

what delay industries?
Hey

Looking for fun PC online multiplayer games for 2-4 people, preferably team based or co op.

Currently we are playing Overwatch, H1Z1, and Orcs Must Die. I've tried so many other co op multiplayer games and it's hard to find something we all like.

Leveling stats and skills and/or a sense of progression is probably a requirement. Not sure what else to add for requirements!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

vandelay industries posted:

Hey

Looking for fun PC online multiplayer games for 2-4 people, preferably team based or co op.

Currently we are playing Overwatch, H1Z1, and Orcs Must Die. I've tried so many other co op multiplayer games and it's hard to find something we all like.

Leveling stats and skills and/or a sense of progression is probably a requirement. Not sure what else to add for requirements!

Try Gauntlet or Terraria. Satellite Reign actually has a co-op multiplayer mode now and it's super fun, I've played the whole game with it. Monaco is also pretty great.

Gauntlet has you pick up money which you spend on alternate (but equally powerful) equipment loadouts, and Terraria is gear-and-boss-killin' based progression. Satellite Reign you progress by breaking into cyberpunk compounds and stealing equipment and upgrade blueprints. Monaco is tons of fun, but each level is standalone, there's no levelling.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Hey

Mass Effect 3. Though it might make more sense to wait for Andromeda and see how its multiplayer goes over.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Hey

Payday 2 is pretty good.

vandelay industries
Apr 6, 2007

what delay industries?
Thanks for the recommendations!

Just downloaded Pay Day 2, so I'll give that a whirl.

We already tried Terraria; though I loved it, my buddies didn't. I'll def check out Gauntlet and Satellite Reign as well.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Ofecks posted:

The Tales series has been running for over 20 years now. Check out some of the other ones like Symphonia or Zestiria or Graces. I've personally played the 2D ones on PS1 and they were all excellent (Phantasia remake, Destiny, Eternia [US version was called "Destiny II" to prevent a lawsuit from He-Man]). If you have a PSP hanging around, I recommend the Star Ocean games (First Departure, Second Evolution) as they also have fun battle engines.

As an aside, I noticed the other day that a game in the Atelier series has just been released on Steam. I've only played the very first English release on PS2, but item crafting is that series thing, and I found it to be really enjoyable.

Which would I like more Symphonia, Zestiria, or Graces, if I liked the story a lot in Berseria

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005

Who What Now posted:

What are some of the must haves for the PS4 right now? I got $60 in PS gift cards and don't know what to get. I already have RE7, FF XV, Uncharted 4, Last of Us, and Bloodborne. Is there anything else that are crazy amazing good or should I save my gift cards for stuff coming down the line?

If you haven't played it, The Witcher 3 edition with all the DLC. One of the best games I've ever played, hands down

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Thanks for the recommendations!

Just downloaded Pay Day 2, so I'll give that a whirl.

We already tried Terraria; though I loved it, my buddies didn't. I'll def check out Gauntlet and Satellite Reign as well.

Also seconding Mass Effect 3. The multiplayer can be fully enjoyed without ever touching the singleplayer.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
Is ME3 mp still active? I haven't played it since it came out. If I'm just solo joining random games will I be waiting forever?

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I just started playing it about two weeks ago and I have no issues finding games. I imagine it will get harder as I progress further and want to do the higher difficulties though.

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Is ME3 mp still active? I haven't played it since it came out. If I'm just solo joining random games will I be waiting forever?
Should be fine. There's a pretty active community on *gasp* Reddit *gasp* if you are really desperate. I play from time to time when I need a change of game scenery. Still fun and easy to get a game going. Check out the thread here for folks, too. They are all very nice and willing to help you get better and answer questions.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.
I have a hankering to play a naval strategy game. I've been reading through Grey Hunter's fantastic WW2 Let's Play, as well as a couple of the Rule The Waves LPs, and now I want to play myself. What out there is actually approachable and good to play? I've played the Battlestations games, and the MMO-style Steel Ocean and World of Warships are too slow-burning for me.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Rule The Waves is really approachable, as is its predecessor Steam and Iron. Otherwise you've got Atlantic Fleet (Great and cheap), Victory At Sea(Mount and Blade at sea) and the best naval strategy game, Battlefleet Gothic Armada. drat its sad that proper naval strategy games aren't as good as BFG:A.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Rule The Waves is really approachable, as is its predecessor Steam and Iron. Otherwise you've got Atlantic Fleet (Great and cheap), Victory At Sea(Mount and Blade at sea) and the best naval strategy game, Battlefleet Gothic Armada. drat its sad that proper naval strategy games aren't as good as BFG:A.

I've played Atlantic Fleet, Victory at Sea and BFG:A before. They're good! I'm just looking for something meatier, I think I might give RTW a shot.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

I just started playing it about two weeks ago and I have no issues finding games. I imagine it will get harder as I progress further and want to do the higher difficulties though.
Nope, I last played it not too long ago and I had zero trouble finding gold matches.
If anything, I'd wager the higher difficulties are probably more populated by now since so many of the players will be veterans. This is pure conjecture, though.

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen
I have severe chronic pain that often prevents me from using my right hand for repetitive motions.

I'm looking for games that I can play using only the mouse, or, if using a controller, without having to use the left and right halves of the controller simultaneously. Good examples are things like HOMM3 and The Witness (it's a little awkward but I manage).

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Do you like point & click adventures?

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Eela6 posted:

I have severe chronic pain that often prevents me from using my right hand for repetitive motions.

I'm looking for games that I can play using only the mouse, or, if using a controller, without having to use the left and right halves of the controller simultaneously. Good examples are things like HOMM3 and The Witness (it's a little awkward but I manage).
Battle Brothers is a really cool turnbased tactics RPG kinda thing that doesn't really need the keyboard for anything. In combat it's a bit more convenient to select abilities via hotkeys, but the difference between that and clicking on the ability icon isn't huge since it doesn't require any reflexes or timing or anything.
There are also a few inventory actions you do by holding Alt or Ctrl while clicking on an item, but those actions are either optional or quite rarely needed, and even then not 100% necessary.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/365360/

EDIT: I should add that while the game is in Early Access, its final update is about to hit quite soon and, far as I understand, the game will be fully released then.

Nordick fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Feb 19, 2017

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

Eela6 posted:

I really like the Audiosurf games partly for that very reason. If you happen to be a music fan with a good-size digital library, I'd say it would be an excellent purchase. Don't bother with Audiosurf 1, get the sequel, it improves upon it in every way, and supports more formats. I think you can load youtube songs on it, but I haven't tried that.

You can theoretically play a lot of retro games that only use two buttons by using a Playstation-style controller with L1/L2. Also, there were Japanese controllers made specifically for this purpose (probably for RPGs), see if you can track one and a USB adapter down.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Eela6 posted:

Many strategy games can be played with a mouse only. Something like Stellaris or Civ 6 that are either pauseable or turn based have shortcut keys on the keyboard but they're always bound to on screen buttons I believe.

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

Really Pants posted:

Do you like point & click adventures?

I do not, sorry. They would be a good suggestion otherwise.

Yak Shaves Dot Com
Jan 5, 2009
Crypt of the Necrodancer can be played with the arrow keys alone, if you are okay with using your left hand. It can also be played with the four colored buttons of a 360 controller, which could be manageable with your left hand if you put the left shoulder button in your palm and use your thumb.

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

Yar The Pirate posted:

I'm looking for a particular kind of tower-defense/management game. I recently bought Kingdom: New Lands and really like the gameplay loop of building up and recruiting for your town, then defending it against periodic attacks. It also reminds me of Gnomoria where I had a ton of fun building out my town, constructing defenses, and then withstanding attacks that increased as time went on.

I'm looking for something similar to Kingdom: New Lands or Gnomoria where there's a concept of civilization/town management and defense of that location in some way. I really liked the concept of testing how long I could survive against wave after wave of attacks while attempting to recover during the day through resource management. Is there anything similar to those concepts that anyone has had luck with? They don't have to be exactly like Gnomoria or Kingdom, just similar enough.

This is old but on the off chance you still read the thread, have you played the Majesty games? Some scenarios are more waves some are more constant, but it's town management & defense and might be what you're looking for.

Edit:

Malt posted:

It's old, but Majesty sounds like what you're looking for. You manage a town and collect resources why setting up quest for NPC's to complete.

:hfive:

Tom Clancy is Dead fucked around with this message at 09:14 on Feb 21, 2017

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Tom Clancy is Dead posted:

This is old but on the off chance you still read the thread, have you played the Majesty games? Some scenarios are more waves some are more constant, but it's town management & defense and might be what you're looking for.

Edit:

:hfive:

Also Rimworld

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Agreed with this. Rimworld on harder difficulties is somewhere between an incredibly complicated tower defense game and a small party RPG.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

For some reason, I've been wanting a game with a "fun" grind. Like, basically, numbers go up and it feels good. But at the same time, I want something more than clickers.

For reference, I've a 3DS, PS4, and a PC that should run a good amount of poo poo.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Diablo III my man. Numbers go very high indeed, and if you play a Barbarian, there's a power that let's you punch a skeleton out of its skeleton.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

Dr. Angela Ziegler posted:

Diablo III my man. Numbers go very high indeed, and if you play a Barbarian, there's a power that let's you punch a skeleton out of its skeleton.

I have that installed already, complete with RoS. Unfortunately, I also seem to have the problem of "play when the season starts, then cbf to finish it out".

And also I am not playing through the story mode. Might take too long for my dumb numbers game.

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

Unbelievably White posted:

Crypt of the Necrodancer can be played with the arrow keys alone, if you are okay with using your left hand. It can also be played with the four colored buttons of a 360 controller, which could be manageable with your left hand if you put the left shoulder button in your palm and use your thumb.

Great suggestion! I love crypt of the necrodancer, and with that new expansion it should feel fresh.

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

widespread posted:

For some reason, I've been wanting a game with a "fun" grind. Like, basically, numbers go up and it feels good. But at the same time, I want something more than clickers.

For reference, I've a 3DS, PS4, and a PC that should run a good amount of poo poo.

GEO is extremely grindy, is only barely more than a clicker in terms of gameplay and is a throwback to 90s sVGA style space games that is probably too expensive for what it is, yet I can't stop playing it as a background game when listening to stuff. It's one of those games that I would actively recommend against if anyone looks at it and thinks it's probably not their thing, even though I find it relaxing and enjoy it. Numbers definitely go up.

I haven't played Pixel Privateers yet, but will probably grab it while it's still in it's launch sale window. Might fit the bill.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

widespread posted:

EDF

EDF

EDF

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

What are some good visual novels on iPad?

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Closest thing is 80 days or Sorcery, but if you want to play visual novels on a tablet invest in a remote desktop app such as Splashtop.

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

widespread posted:

Do you like loot games? Diablo 3, The Division, Destiny, Marvel 2015 are all popular and fun. Terraria has a lot of grind. Darkest Dungeon is good and real grindy, but not in that exact "numbers go up and it feels good" way.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm looking for a fighting game that doesn't revolve around long combo's, but instead reading and playing around your character's strength. No infinite combo's is a huge + for me, and it has to be for PC. My personal Favorite that's not on PC is Smash 4 which doesn't have dumb technical glitch abuse, requires very good reads and play, and most of the combo's are like 3 or 4 hits long at most, while being super risky to pull of, allowing most of the game to take place in the neutral zone.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Turtlicious posted:

I'm looking for a fighting game that doesn't revolve around long combo's, but instead reading and playing around your character's strength. No infinite combo's is a huge + for me, and it has to be for PC. My personal Favorite that's not on PC is Smash 4 which doesn't have dumb technical glitch abuse, requires very good reads and play, and most of the combo's are like 3 or 4 hits long at most, while being super risky to pull of, allowing most of the game to take place in the neutral zone.

Lucky you, For Honor just released.

Flopstick
Jul 10, 2011

Top Cop

Queering Wheel posted:

What are some games where you can be like John Wick and get brutal, quick kills on loads of enemies, using guns and hand to hand combat? I like Payday 2 for that (especially since you can actually BE Wick), GTA, and the Hotline Miami games. Counter Strike also fits the bill to a lesser extent (it's a lot harder to go on a killing spree without dying yourself.) Anything else out there?

Okay, so this is from a couple of weeks ago, but: Max Payne, my dude. Max Payne and Max Payne 2 (and maybe 3, I dunno, I heard 3 was a bit crap) are the John Wickest games. No finishing moves as such, but you won't miss them when you're diving down a flight of stairs in slow-mo, firing akimbo uzis at a gas tank.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Flopstick posted:

Okay, so this is from a couple of weeks ago, but: Max Payne, my dude. Max Payne and Max Payne 2 (and maybe 3, I dunno, I heard 3 was a bit crap) are the John Wickest games. No finishing moves as such, but you won't miss them when you're diving down a flight of stairs in slow-mo, firing akimbo uzis at a gas tank.

Also best use of a constipated face in a video game imho

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

Flopstick posted:

Max Payne 1 is pretty nice but hasn't aged well (think Deus Ex 1). The biggest problem is that reloading in bullet time is sloooooooow.
Max Payne 2 is a classic and a hearty recommendation. Bullet time gets slower and lasts longer as you chain kills and reloading in BT is instantaneous (and/or has a :krad: animation). Plus there's a lot of imaginative level design etc., it's great.
Max Payne 3 is a rip-off store-brand Max Payne game that looks nice but plays completely differently and is packed with unskippable cutscenes (particularly before hard fights).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Max Payne 3 is a terrible game with fantastic gunplay and mechanics. There's so much stuff getting in the way of what should be a good time, it's depressing