Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Maybe it's a potential thing, like anyone who is capable of learning Conquerer is capable of learning Armament or Observation, but not vice versa.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Crazyeyes posted:

I thought of you could use conquerors haki you could use all forms.

Everyone has the potential to learn and train Observation and Armament. Some people have a natural affinity for one or both.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

If I were human, I believe my response would be: 'go to hell'.

Shugojin posted:

Maybe it's a potential thing, like anyone who is capable of learning Conquerer is capable of learning Armament or Observation, but not vice versa.

That's what I was saying, yeah. Conqueror Haki is very rare (even though tons of people have it in the New World, it seems...), but the other two are quite ubiquitous.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
I don't really begrudge Conqueror's being relatively common on the New World. That's the natural place for that kind of person to end up, after all.

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
I wouldn't be surprised if the subject of Warlords being a bad idea comes up at the Reverie, especially with Alabasta and potentially several victims of Doflamingo attending.

lowercase16
Apr 19, 2008

Cyclops actually has two eyes.

Silver2195 posted:

Nitpicking here, but I believe the WG sent Doflamingo to kill Moria because of his poor performance in the Whitebeard War, not his loss to the Straw Hats.

I think Doflamingo tried to kill Moria on the battlefield after the fighting was over, so the hit had to have been ordered before the Summit War.

Sub Harrison
May 2, 2013

Having Conqueror's haki is a prophecy of sorts kinda like having the D. middle name. Both Don Chinchow and Trebol remarked that those with conqueror's was a sign of a king and they are destined to gather and battle eachother. Makes sense we see more conquerors in the new world as we approach the final arc.

Advice
Feb 17, 2007

Je veux ton amour
Et je veux ton revanche
Je veux ton amour
I don't wanna be friends
You guys seem to be making a lot of assumptions about CoO. The whole, "detect your opponent's moves" thing is something nobody, not Rayleigh, Luffy, or Enel, has been shown to use without closing their eyes. It's not like you can just always sense everything ever. The only person probably using it all the time is Fujitora, but of course, he keeps his eyes closed.

Enel was using it with his fruit, if I recall, to pick up on electromagnetic waves or some other Oda logic and this extended the reach to all of Skypiea and allowed him to hear conversations. Then Aisa was also able to sense people's locations over long distances, but this is extremely rare. Coby awakened this, I believe. It's like an extreme natural affinity for CoO. I don't think it's implied Luffy, Dofy, or anybody else has it working like that. How many times has Luffy been looking for someone in the New World? He's not just snipe sensing people from far away.

Ryaomon
Mar 19, 2007
Ask me about being a racist piece of shit with a racist gimmick
Doflamingo vs Moria also happened before the timeskip, where haki basically didn't have rules because Oda was making poo poo up on the fly.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Luffy, Zoro, and Sanji were able to sense Carribou trying to kidnap the Shirahoshi during Mermaid Island.

Star Platinum
May 5, 2010

Ryaomon posted:

Doflamingo vs Moria also happened before the timeskip, where haki basically didn't have rules because Oda was making poo poo up on the fly.

Doffy vs Moria was like 20 chapters before the timeskip and Doffy talking about Moria's disappearance was like two chapters before Rayleigh explains haki in detail. The real answer here is that Oda doesn't think of every :spergin: detail if it's not relevant to the scene in question, and the relevant points of the Doffy/Moria thing are that a) Moria is still around and b) Doffy doesn't care about government orders and delights in sowing chaos.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Have we seen Big Mom use Conqueror's Haki yet? I have a feeling we'll be blindsided by it at the wedding.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

Have we seen Big Mom use Conqueror's Haki yet? I have a feeling we'll be blindsided by it at the wedding.

Nope. If she does have it, I doubt we'll see it until she clashes with Luffy.

lowercase16
Apr 19, 2008

Cyclops actually has two eyes.

Hate-Senpai posted:

Luffy, Zoro, and Sanji were able to sense Carribou trying to kidnap the Shirahoshi during Mermaid Island.

And Sanji used it to spot a sniper when he was with Viola.

Honestly, Advice might be right. There's more examples of people needing to close their eyes and concentrate to use Observation Haki than there are of people seemingly having it turned on all the time. It's inconsistent, at the very least.

Advice
Feb 17, 2007

Je veux ton amour
Et je veux ton revanche
Je veux ton amour
I don't wanna be friends
Is it implied he used it to find that sniper? IIRC you just see Sanji attack from the sniper's point of view. He could have just seen him. It was half a gag anyway.

There's definitely a thing with sensing extremely powerful auras unconsciously when you have it trained, Sanji knew someone strong was nearby and assumed correctly it was Nekomamushi while inside Bege, though even this is inconsistent because you're not supposed to be able to detect poo poo inside other auras, as even Enel couldn't detect Luffy inside Nola, and Aisa couldn't sense anyone while inside Nola.

Haki is inconsistent but what is always consistent is Oda showing us what we need to see to get the desired effect. The man is a brilliant storyteller and rarely leaves things up to your imagination. Even today, a fruit user will loudly declare their fruit subtype, model, and abilities at the slightest provocation. When people use haki it's pretty obvious. CoA gets the black stuff, CoQ gets crackly electricity when clashing with another and the weird eye when being used, and CoO usually makes it pretty obvious. Assuming stuff is happening that we're not being shown is how we get the crazy theories.

Sub Harrison
May 2, 2013

You could always argue Doffy hasn't mastered CoO. Rayleigh said himself many people focus on only 1 haki.

drjuggalo
Jul 26, 2014
nobody knew about absalom at the war nor when he broke into the scratchman/kidd alliance gathering so theres no way in hell doflamingo of all people noticed absalom when everyone else at the war didnt either (and he was truly surprised at moria disappearing in thin air and im pretty sure it was implied doffy thought it was morias power)

also moria 100% got clapped at the war for what happened at thriller bark, the start of the TB has the WG telling moria he CANT go down like everyone else before him or else it might destabilize the entire warlord system, moria didnt heed the warning because he knew the SH's weren't ready for the new world and by extension fighting him too (the WG still didnt trust him and sent kuma to kill luffy before he was able to leave the island but worst case scenario happened and moria fell with luffy getting away, hence the doffy assassination)

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Pretty sure the worst case scenario was that nothing happened.

Advice
Feb 17, 2007

Je veux ton amour
Et je veux ton revanche
Je veux ton amour
I don't wanna be friends
Yeah now that you mention it, the World Government cannot be faulted for underestimating the Strawhats. Most villains in One Piece fall because they underestimate Luffy within the confines of their individual arc, but at large the World Government has been concerned about him from the start. They issued bounties to all of them, even to what they thought was a pet, they sent two Warlords to deal with them personally on Thriller Bark, an Admiral on Saobondy, (technically he was responding to the fact that a Tenryuubito was attacked, but they knew it was the Strawhats, no?), and Akainu tried to assassinate Luffy at Marineford. Seems almost like a juxtaposition of all the arc bosses.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Advice posted:

Yeah now that you mention it, the World Government cannot be faulted for underestimating the Strawhats. Most villains in One Piece fall because they underestimate Luffy within the confines of their individual arc, but at large the World Government has been concerned about him from the start. They issued bounties to all of them, even to what they thought was a pet, they sent two Warlords to deal with them personally on Thriller Bark, an Admiral on Saobondy, (technically he was responding to the fact that a Tenryuubito was attacked, but they knew it was the Strawhats, no?), and Akainu tried to assassinate Luffy at Marineford. Seems almost like a juxtaposition of all the arc bosses.

The WG as a whole doesn't underestimate Luffy, but Kizaru definitely does fail to take Luffy seriously. I'm not sure Kizaru takes anything seriously, though.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Kizaru probably takes weed seriously.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Moria is the 30s shlep bragging to you he could beat you in a race because he beat his high school record in track but hasn't worked out since then.

Logicblade
Aug 13, 2014

Festival with your real* little sister!
Hey Strawhat, remember that super awesome cannonball I had, the Super Buggy Ball?

No.

:(

Sub Harrison
May 2, 2013

Impel down was amazing. I hope we get a similar arc with the CP9 crowd helping the Strawhats.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Logicblade posted:

Hey Strawhat, remember that super awesome cannonball I had, the Super Buggy Ball?

No.

make this the new thread title even though it's almost 10 years old

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Logicblade posted:

No.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Logicblade posted:

No.

I spent a long time on that page, laughing.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

If I were human, I believe my response would be: 'go to hell'.

drjuggalo posted:

nobody knew about absalom at the war nor when he broke into the scratchman/kidd alliance gathering so theres no way in hell doflamingo of all people noticed absalom when everyone else at the war didnt either.

I think you're joking but need to confirm.

Sir Ilpalazzo
Sep 4, 2012

Crazyeyes posted:

I think you're joking but need to confirm.

The chapter (in which Doflamingo fake-steps down as a Warlord - I think it as chapter 700?) has that scene. Kidd is wondering how some journalist called "Absa" broke the story of his alliance with Apoo and Hawkins, and in the same panel we see Moria's escape ship from Thriller Bark sailing away (which I guess suggests that Moria is still hiding out with Absalom).

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Moria and co as underground journos baggin them juicy scoops tickles my fancy.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

I think my favorite "weird villain who's off doing something unrelated" is Wapol, who struck it rich as a toy manufacturer and also styles himself as a super villain (although not anywhere near as put together as the Germa). He was even granted a kingdom to rule!

Edit: oh right, Walpole plans on killing Dalton at the Reverie. I hope he gets totally crowned.

Green Intern fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Feb 22, 2017

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
one piece

hmm; its good, yeah

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

victoria concordia crescit
Reminder that there's no chapter this week.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

It's cool, just salt that wound right up.

Sub Harrison
May 2, 2013

Shoren posted:

Every break is the worst Thursday of my life.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Shoren posted:

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

victoria concordia crescit

Sub Harrison posted:

Same, OP. I die a little bit inside every time.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

JosephWongKS posted:

Kizaru probably takes weed seriously.

I mean he's lit af all the time, yeah

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Sub Harrison posted:

God needs a rest every 7th day. It's only fair Oda takes one every 30.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ubiquitus
Nov 20, 2011

Gyges posted:

God needs a rest every 7th day. It's only fair Oda takes one every 30.

I'm pretty sure Usopp rests enough after all his lies already.