Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

Pirate Radar posted:

Spain rules. Where in the country will you be?

My parents live in Barcelona, so I'm hoping to be there, too, but I'd be happy enough elsewhere in the country. I've lived and worked in Spain before and know that it's a lifestyle and place I enjoy (although hopefully I won't be stuck in the deeeeeeep countryside again, unless I'm actually doing arch work [not bloody likely in Spain].)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JacksAngryBiome
Oct 23, 2014

oohhboy posted:

LOL. I straight up told you guys I do exaggerate or change some details to varying degrees for dramatic effect.

If you have to resort to fiction to make the story interesting then it probably isn't worth telling in this thread.

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax

oohhboy posted:

LOL. I straight up told you guys I do exaggerate or change some details to varying degrees for dramatic effect.

Do you really think Haier is being completely honest with his posts. The stories he tells I believe no doubt has some embellishments or reordering events for pacing to it makes for a better story. He might have found out what the peanut girl had, but omitted it to let the imagination run a little wild. The stories could straight up fake, but he has your attention and I have yours.
Sadly, I meet a lot of crazies and weirdos. No, Peanut Girl was a total surprise and that's why I said I had no idea and called it peanut brittle and was very grossed out. I don't really need to make stuff up because this country has enough of it's own retarded influences and causes that create some interesting moments for anyone trying. Any foreigner who has lived in China for a while will have some funky stories, or have heard their friends have them. It's pretty standard at some point, or, like me, keeps happening because no why.
I don't even post about the nice or normal stuff because that's boring.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
is reused wooden chopsticks still a thing in china? bacteria love to get into the nooks and crannys of wooden/stone things (anything porous). there should be a movement to at least some form of plastic chopstick if they're going to be cheap and not have new wooden ones for every meal

Let us English
Feb 21, 2004

Actual photo of Let Us English, probably seen here waking his wife up in the morning talking about chemical formulae when all she wants is a hot cup of shhhhh

Relin posted:

is reused wooden chopsticks still a thing in china? bacteria love to get into the nooks and crannys of wooden/stone things (anything porous). there should be a movement to at least some form of plastic chopstick if they're going to be cheap and not have new wooden ones for every meal

Yeah. My favorite restaurant uses them. Hasn't killed me yet.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

LentThem posted:

today was a real winnr of a day. my aunt had to work so i had the day to myself, seemed like a good day four betting on the races if you get my drift. i found a massage parlour with a decent price, down a hallway on the third floor of a building in Tsim Sha Tsui, lots of little lights that really made me feel christmas. I remember this building had famously been the site of a zoning issue with the government when i was a kid, im pretty sure i remember hearing on the news at the time that a few people served time because of it.

I go inside and theres only one woman available, she was okay looking but had short hair and i really wanted someone with waist lenth hairs. I got angry and almost left disappointed but then a girl with long hair that was okay but not quite as long as i wanted (but even prison slop is a feast to a starving man) was available so she took me to a room and the situation was really tuning back round

you guys are going to really enjoy my breakdown of the different massage services and our haggling over price where i clearly came out ahead. I dont have time to write it up today but you guys are deffo going to like it tomorrow

kia ora

ya more posts like this

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

guys don't postshame.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

My parents live in Barcelona, so I'm hoping to be there, too, but I'd be happy enough elsewhere in the country. I've lived and worked in Spain before and know that it's a lifestyle and place I enjoy (although hopefully I won't be stuck in the deeeeeeep countryside again, unless I'm actually doing arch work [not bloody likely in Spain].)

Color me jealous, then! Barcelona's beautiful.

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

for real living and retiring in Barcelona has always been a dream of mine.. if your parents need a phd in multicultural education plz hmu...

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

Magna Kaser posted:

I see this sentiment a lot from Chinese learners and it makes me wonder if there are ESL learners out there who see "color" or the word "eggplant" and go "Man stupid Americans don't know poo poo thank god for proper English from the UK".

I think it's apples and oranges. The thing with traditional versus simplified is that it's not just one letter different. It's pretty easy to figure out that color and colour are the same word, especially since it's a consistent pattern. I actually had to Google Translate what ladron wrote because I had zero idea what it said.

For reference, here's the simplified and the traditional together:
选择 / 選擇

Adjacent it's more obvious, but on their own I thought the first character was going to be pronounced like 先 (xian) and the second like 棒 (bang). But of course it was xuan and ze respectively.

The thing is, the increased complexity of traditional doesn't make them any harder to learn. As long as you are learning the characters mnemonically and slowly learning a stable of radicals and then expanding on them, it's pretty simple. The different radicals tend to inform the meaning of the character or the pronunciation and there's a logical progression to them. Simplified largely throws all of that away. Plus, they're just ugly, though I guess that's more subjective than the other reasons.

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

Atlas Hugged posted:

I actually had to Google Translate what ladron wrote because I had zero idea

pff you and your dead language..Hangukmal supremacy!!!

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

oohhboy posted:

Do you really think Haier is being completely honest with his posts. The stories he tells I believe no doubt has some embellishments or reordering events for pacing to it makes for a better story. He might have found out what the peanut girl had, but omitted it to let the imagination run a little wild. The stories could straight up fake, but he has your attention and I have yours.

So it really should be me telling you to take it easy. I have been having fun the whole time bitching or no bitching as the journey good or bad is my goal, not to walk back through the door back in New Zealand with no stories to tell.

But for real I am coming out today a winner.

She turned up and we took a Taxi to Wong Tai Sin where the doctor was. The medical "Complex" is in the Temple Mall North or is it south? I looked it up and they can't seem to make up their minds. But of the two malls it is the one with the dirty façade.

There are about 6 practises next to each other but none of them work cooperatively with each other although one was a dental surgeon. This meant they all waste a lot of space by having duplicate pharmacies which naturally waste space resulting in higher rent. But they have their system for better or for worse.

Of all the doctors she could have chosen she chose the busiest because of the whole big lines must mean he is good! There was a practise right next door that had a 5 minute waiting time instead of the 40+ just to see this doctor.

Of course this is Hong Kong and the place looks more like an old school package delivery service as there are boxes and boxes of medical supplies filling most of the waiting room with barely enough space to get to the doctor's door. Half a dozen people have spilled outside waiting just like me instead of heading next door. I try to read the inscriptions on the window next door but failed to ascertain why we couldn't have gone there instead as it didn't appear to be a speciality.

Name finally gets called up and the doctor is a slightly over weight, maybe about 55 years old. Behind him is multiple shelves with filled completely with patient files. Like outside the inside is full of packages. I wonder if they really do go through that much supplies or that everyone else uses his office as storage and pay him so that their practices look professional. There is some sort of organization to the madness.

He goes straight into it asking all sorts of questions which I thankfully could answer without issues. He is furiously writing this down on a notebook no different than one found in class. Like doctors everywhere his writing is mostly intelligible to the average person and on some level might have been a show. Unlike the other patients before me I stay on point and only take up 2 minutes at the most unlike everybody who seem to take long enough to tell their life story. He tells me not to eat fruit(Vitamin C has a laxative effect) or too much meat(Lack of fibre) and normal water(!) instead of Hot or Cold.

The consult ends with a "Are you afraid of needles?" I say "No" and I am promptly shown a alcove where a nurse who is standing by I spot some really old glass ampoules with the break open neck inside an open stained box. She takes a minute to draw what I assume is either antibiotics, vitamins or saline. A quick jab in the butt and I am back in the waiting room waiting on my prescription.

This takes quite a while as the look of madness is madness. My name is finally called to the window where I get handed 10 different medications with instructions all in Chinese talked in terms I don't understand. The variety of meds was clearly more of a shotgun like approach to the problem. The nurse tells me to have hot water because it is healthy and have some fruit. We pay the $500 and make our way out.

My Aunt asked whether I want anything to eat being that I woke up and went straight to the doctors. I know I should have something to eat as my hunger signals is still broken so I reply in the affirmative. She moves around going to towards food outlets only to turn away. We get to a McDonalds where she sits down at. I assume we are going to eat there so I start looking at the placards. I turn around seeing her staring at the medications but then puts them away. I sit down next to her perplexed before she tell me to put it into my backpack.

We leave, continuing to with her continuing to meander stopping to buy some traditional snacks to take home for herself.

As we walk around some more I get a message from my Sister. It is a photo of the playing card I gave her so that Chow Yun Fat could sign it when he appeared at the pastry shop she works at. I am ecstatic and perk up immediately at the news but ask why it reads 2016 as the year of signing? She replies maybe it had something to do with the year of release of From Vegas to Macao. I look it up and nope, he just got the year wrong. But that is ok because that card is still badass and now it has a little bit more story to it I can tell than a card with the correct year. It is so getting framed at the first opportunity.

The meandering continues as she points out eateries we are not going to eat at. We finally get outside and move pass the bus terminal before she realises she is lost. She says we have to head to the MTR to get her bearings. Maybe she wanted to take the MTR back home. Nope, she exits and starts heading towards my home.

She continues to point out places to eat taking me on a tour while getting lost again before I point out which way to go this time. I keep thinking this will be the place where we are going to get something to eat but we continue with her tour. We take a detour and things are not going great downstairs so I finally take control. I straight up said "This is the place we are going to get some BBQ pork on rice to takeaway and we are heading home".

We get inside and she tries to convince me to stay here and eat. It looks dingy like every other place you would not find in a guide book for tourists, even ironically. I turn up my assertiveness a notch adding "*No* we are not staying here to eat, we are taking away". We leave with the food in hand and a start power walking the couple hundred meters home stopping by a 711 for some bottled water and personal hygiene supplies.

I take the lead as I now can't meander at all. She continues to point out eateries and how this has this or how nice the food is while point out the obvious as always.

I finally get home and make for the toilet with some urgency. We finish lunch and start going through the medication(Thankfully has the names in English) jotting down the notes on the laptop as I go taking them one at a time. She continues to insist that I take them all at once. I continue to take them one at a time as I needed the water anyway and it allowed me to mark them off as taken while taking notes.

We finally get to the Kaopectin. She got rather distressed when I poured the correct measure into the cup I was using that had a small amount of water left in it so that it was easier to see what I was doing and making it easier to drink. I knew it didn't matter as the Kaopectin was meant to mix with the food and water. She doesn't let this go even as she heads out the door. She leaves in a bit of a huff having pushed accidentally the only button I have seen so far, questioning her intelligence.

So again she gets me in trouble or close to it before I pull myself out of the problem because of her good intentions. I wish it wouldn't keep happening but she is infallible in this regard. However we do get the important things done even with her unintended actions so mission accomplished

Going to see John Wick 2 with the Brother in Law. It is going to be a good finish to a winner of a day.
I don't think she is mental, just not quite all there with her quirks nor is she the brightest. Most of the time I let her do her thing but sometimes you just have to step in and when you get frustrated you sometimes end up stepping on a neck.

you were given an injection and you are taking mystery drugs, drink some gatorade

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

HK is a cool, good and fun place. I especially like Bird Garden, Goldfish Market and Ocean park. Do NOT get HKD 30 noodles from an ~authentic local shop~ I tried a few times and things got worse and worse and I wish I just got Thai food in Mong Kok (kekeke) again instead.

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

JacksAngryBiome posted:

If you have to resort to fiction to make the story interesting then it probably isn't worth telling in this thread.

I regularly skip these stories, because they are as interesting as my shopping list. Doesn't even help when I imagine Mr. Bean acting out the scenes. It's like somebody reading the Tv program in a super bored voice, and then some oval office goes off at the poor op for some lovely family trouble detail as if this was D&D.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
i skip them because they're far too long

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Jose posted:

i skip them because they're far too long

This. Haier usually has the good grace to keep things short and sweet or at least amusing throughout, but oohboy's posts are just too dense for me.

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

Stop talking about and quoting in full long boring storing pls

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

oohhboy posted:

So it really should be me telling you to take it easy. I have been having fun the whole time bitching or no bitching as the journey good or bad is my goal, not to walk back through the door back in New Zealand with no stories to tell.

But for real I am coming out today a winner.

She turned up and we took a Taxi to Wong Tai Sin where the doctor was. The medical "Complex" is in the Temple Mall North or is it south? I looked it up and they can't seem to make up their minds. But of the two malls it is the one with the dirty façade.

There are about 6 practises next to each other but none of them work cooperatively with each other although one was a dental surgeon. This meant they all waste a lot of space by having duplicate pharmacies which naturally waste space resulting in higher rent. But they have their system for better or for worse.

Of all the doctors she could have chosen she chose the busiest because of the whole big lines must mean he is good! There was a practise right next door that had a 5 minute waiting time instead of the 40+ just to see this doctor.

Of course this is Hong Kong and the place looks more like an old school package delivery service as there are boxes and boxes of medical supplies filling most of the waiting room with barely enough space to get to the doctor's door. Half a dozen people have spilled outside waiting just like me instead of heading next door. I try to read the inscriptions on the window next door but failed to ascertain why we couldn't have gone there instead as it didn't appear to be a speciality.

Name finally gets called up and the doctor is a slightly over weight, maybe about 55 years old. Behind him is multiple shelves with filled completely with patient files. Like outside the inside is full of packages. I wonder if they really do go through that much supplies or that everyone else uses his office as storage and pay him so that their practices look professional. There is some sort of organization to the madness.

He goes straight into it asking all sorts of questions which I thankfully could answer without issues. He is furiously writing this down on a notebook no different than one found in class. Like doctors everywhere his writing is mostly intelligible to the average person and on some level might have been a show. Unlike the other patients before me I stay on point and only take up 2 minutes at the most unlike everybody who seem to take long enough to tell their life story. He tells me not to eat fruit(Vitamin C has a laxative effect) or too much meat(Lack of fibre) and normal water(!) instead of Hot or Cold.

The consult ends with a "Are you afraid of needles?" I say "No" and I am promptly shown a alcove where a nurse who is standing by I spot some really old glass ampoules with the break open neck inside an open stained box. She takes a minute to draw what I assume is either antibiotics, vitamins or saline. A quick jab in the butt and I am back in the waiting room waiting on my prescription.

This takes quite a while as the look of madness is madness. My name is finally called to the window where I get handed 10 different medications with instructions all in Chinese talked in terms I don't understand. The variety of meds was clearly more of a shotgun like approach to the problem. The nurse tells me to have hot water because it is healthy and have some fruit. We pay the $500 and make our way out.

My Aunt asked whether I want anything to eat being that I woke up and went straight to the doctors. I know I should have something to eat as my hunger signals is still broken so I reply in the affirmative. She moves around going to towards food outlets only to turn away. We get to a McDonalds where she sits down at. I assume we are going to eat there so I start looking at the placards. I turn around seeing her staring at the medications but then puts them away. I sit down next to her perplexed before she tell me to put it into my backpack.

We leave, continuing to with her continuing to meander stopping to buy some traditional snacks to take home for herself.

As we walk around some more I get a message from my Sister. It is a photo of the playing card I gave her so that Chow Yun Fat could sign it when he appeared at the pastry shop she works at. I am ecstatic and perk up immediately at the news but ask why it reads 2016 as the year of signing? She replies maybe it had something to do with the year of release of From Vegas to Macao. I look it up and nope, he just got the year wrong. But that is ok because that card is still badass and now it has a little bit more story to it I can tell than a card with the correct year. It is so getting framed at the first opportunity.

The meandering continues as she points out eateries we are not going to eat at. We finally get outside and move pass the bus terminal before she realises she is lost. She says we have to head to the MTR to get her bearings. Maybe she wanted to take the MTR back home. Nope, she exits and starts heading towards my home.

She continues to point out places to eat taking me on a tour while getting lost again before I point out which way to go this time. I keep thinking this will be the place where we are going to get something to eat but we continue with her tour. We take a detour and things are not going great downstairs so I finally take control. I straight up said "This is the place we are going to get some BBQ pork on rice to takeaway and we are heading home".

We get inside and she tries to convince me to stay here and eat. It looks dingy like every other place you would not find in a guide book for tourists, even ironically. I turn up my assertiveness a notch adding "*No* we are not staying here to eat, we are taking away". We leave with the food in hand and a start power walking the couple hundred meters home stopping by a 711 for some bottled water and personal hygiene supplies.

I take the lead as I now can't meander at all. She continues to point out eateries and how this has this or how nice the food is while point out the obvious as always.

I finally get home and make for the toilet with some urgency. We finish lunch and start going through the medication(Thankfully has the names in English) jotting down the notes on the laptop as I go taking them one at a time. She continues to insist that I take them all at once. I continue to take them one at a time as I needed the water anyway and it allowed me to mark them off as taken while taking notes.

We finally get to the Kaopectin. She got rather distressed when I poured the correct measure into the cup I was using that had a small amount of water left in it so that it was easier to see what I was doing and making it easier to drink. I knew it didn't matter as the Kaopectin was meant to mix with the food and water. She doesn't let this go even as she heads out the door. She leaves in a bit of a huff having pushed accidentally the only button I have seen so far, questioning her intelligence.

So again she gets me in trouble or close to it before I pull myself out of the problem because of her good intentions. I wish it wouldn't keep happening but she is infallible in this regard. However we do get the important things done even with her unintended actions so mission accomplished

Going to see John Wick 2 with the Brother in Law. It is going to be a good finish to a winner of a day.
I don't think she is mental, just not quite all there with her quirks nor is she the brightest. Most of the time I let her do her thing but sometimes you just have to step in and when you get frustrated you sometimes end up stepping on a neck.

same

BCR
Jan 23, 2011

Today a man got into an argument because his electric scooter skidded on the snow and hit a parked car. A argument then happened between the car owner who was kan re nao ing a mahjong game happening under a supermarkets stretched roof and the bike owner. The bike driver dropped his pants and raised his arms saying come at me. Car owner lost face by being confused. Bike owner got on bike and rode away.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
Don't listen to the haters ohhhboy your stories are good and interesting to read

:justpost:

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Atlas Hugged posted:

I think it's apples and oranges. The thing with traditional versus simplified is that it's not just one letter different. It's pretty easy to figure out that color and colour are the same word, especially since it's a consistent pattern. I actually had to Google Translate what ladron wrote because I had zero idea what it said.

For reference, here's the simplified and the traditional together:
选择 / 選擇

Adjacent it's more obvious, but on their own I thought the first character was going to be pronounced like 先 (xian) and the second like 棒 (bang). But of course it was xuan and ze respectively.

The thing is, the increased complexity of traditional doesn't make them any harder to learn. As long as you are learning the characters mnemonically and slowly learning a stable of radicals and then expanding on them, it's pretty simple. The different radicals tend to inform the meaning of the character or the pronunciation and there's a logical progression to them. Simplified largely throws all of that away. Plus, they're just ugly, though I guess that's more subjective than the other reasons.

In 2017 this is true, but when handwriting was how you had to get poo poo done simplified characters had a lot more appeal. These days it's not really better or worse and it's all about aesthetics, which is why you still see traditional characters all over the mainland and they have even had talks about bringing them back every now and again.

If you wanna read about some even wackier things than simplification check out Gwoyeu Romatzyh which is from the ROC era and who's designers thought it could potentially even replace characters entirely.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

WarpedNaba posted:

Isn't that already a thing though? Not modern Beijing, though - I haven't been keeping track of AC but I don't think they went beyond the Industrial Revolution.

Oh hey it's a thing.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

oohhboy posted:

I enjoy writing them as much as the people reading them.

Well if you hate writing them that much, why do it?

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

hakimashou posted:

Don't listen to the haters ohhhboy your stories are good and interesting to read

fyi this person is a notorious loving liar

Porfiriato
Jan 4, 2016

Haier posted:

EDIT: I just realized I have seen probably 90% of the people wash dishes without soap, too. They use the sponge (or a wet rag) to absorb and smear the oil. They use cold water to wash everything, and to clean chopsticks they rub them together rapidly. It's loving disgusting.

My first apartment in China was fairly decent, the owner had remodeled it a couple of years prior, but it literally had no hot water in the kitchen. If you turned the faucet all the way to the hot side nothing would come out. The bathroom right next door had one of those electric tank water heaters, but they just never bothered to run a line from it to the kitchen sink...because why would anyone need hot water in the kitchen??? :iiam:

edit: I see Atlas Hugged mentioned this a while back as well. I don't think it would have been impossible in my apartment, just plumb a line through the wall and into the kitchen and boom, hot water.

Porfiriato fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Feb 21, 2017

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
is rene chang still around there hasn't been a post about him in ages

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

ladron posted:

if your parents need a phd in multicultural education plz hmu...

It's always weird to me when adding a word to a degree makes it seem less substantial somehow.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Magna Kaser posted:

In 2017 this is true, but when handwriting was how you had to get poo poo done simplified characters had a lot more appeal. These days it's not really better or worse and it's all about aesthetics, which is why you still see traditional characters all over the mainland and they have even had talks about bringing them back every now and again.

If you wanna read about some even wackier things than simplification check out Gwoyeu Romatzyh which is from the ROC era and who's designers thought it could potentially even replace characters entirely.

A lot of simplified characters aren't even faster to write. They're different, but only a stroke or two shorter. The thing though is that a lot of the simplified characters came out of cursive or shorthand that may not have been standardized, but was acceptable. If you look at Taiwan, people still do this since just because it's 2017, having to write by hand hasn't magically gone away. Students still primarily complete classroom activities with paper and pencils. Basically, everyone knows and recognizes the formal traditional characters, but when time is short using a cursive version of the script is fine too. It's important though to have the fundamentals first. This is also true in the mainland. Just because they have a simplified script doesn't mean they don't resort to cursive when writing papers or taking tests.

Simplified versus Traditional has always had a larger impact on printed script than what people actually wrote.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

The simplifications that are just changing a radical to a shorthand version are fine.

农 infuriates me though.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

BONGHITZ posted:

you were given an injection and you are taking mystery drugs, drink some gatorade

They seemed to have worked great. I took everything as directed as she wasn't going to go otherwise. I did take the time to look up what they did after she left and they are legit for what they are meant for just that they sort of overlap a bit. I will be cutting the items I don't need which are all the motion sickness drugs taking me down to 5 from 10.

Given it was a one time injection and I was not prescribed any antibiotics the injection by the process of elimination it was Buscopan as that is the only one that can be injected. It cuts down on abdominal cramps which is an excellent first step.

So the doctor was on to it or close enough with his shotgun approach even though his office looked like the warehouse at the end of Raiders of the Lost Ark.

Pham Nuwen posted:

Well if you hate writing them that much, why do it?

hakimashou posted:

:justpost:

JacksAngryBiome posted:

I never ever resorted to actual fiction. Everything I have typed up happened. I do puff up the emotional aspect a little bit much, swap event sequence for better flow, the odd detail to improve clarity. I am not writing a police report.

I currently have a unique perspective in this thread although there should others who fit the bill but are not active at this time. I am not a white guy ex-pat ubermensch like Haier(Don't ever stop).

I was born here, I grew up elsewhere yet retained the ability to speak the language for most part without being too noticeable which is getting better by the day. I look like everyone else if not for the fact I don't fear the cold instead I start over heating at 23 degrees. I get to observe the differences in cultures without getting the foreigner treatment. I get to play with everyone's expectations when I interact with them. It is a lot of fun just seeing what happens.

Relatives/families is always drama and isn't it nice not to have stories once in a while that doesn't involve suicide, abuse, or an ending that is awful/murder porn? Sure I get irritated and things go sideways, but in the end everything works out and no one is hurt(Mostly). If you don't enjoy the posts that's cool, skip it and move on like some other folks.

Besides why aren't you posting any stories? :justpost:

----

Met up with my BIL(Brother in Law) for dinner and a movie(John Wick 2 go loving see it).

We went to the third floor, looked for a place to eat. Sat down, ate food.

I guess this is boring now so I won't tell you how we talked about Magic Whitey Powers, cultural observations we both make and share, and poo poo he can't talk to anyone else in all of Hong Kong to.

Watched movie, went their flat, got the card, went home.

The end. Now for some autistic screeching I will actually write about it, just not now

kimcicle
Feb 23, 2003

ladron posted:

heh, I was a prof at yonsei, the seoul not wonju one

No poo poo? I took my first module for the global MBA but then decided it wasn't for me. If there's one thing that's for certain, I really like the campus at Yonsei, despite it's almost schizophrenic mishmash of building styles. That library was serious business too; first you have to check out an assigned seating area, and then mark how long you're going to be there so the next student can slide in at their designated time.

I can wax poetic about my time at Yonsei now but when I was going it was pretty stressful to me.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

gently caress the haters. If they don't like it they can burn one of their goony calories flipping their scroll wheel down a few notches. I do enjoy your stories, but hope you're not too stressed out during your trip. Traveling usually makes me uncomfortable because I don't like to not know what's going on.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
Worst part of the year is coming up: I have to play make escort with my Hong Kong counterpart. Once or twice a year she comes to New York for some reason and I'm basically her bitch. I don't know how since we are equivalent to one another but it's just a given because we have to work with each other all the time.

The past three years:

One of my three bosses: "Oh, hey Glenn. Eustace is coming next Thursday. You'll show her around right?" And I say yes because I'm a colossal pussy.

Que receiving an email from her for a one hour meeting everyday while she's in town.

Invariably I have to stay late and chat with her about nothing but it's slightly work related. Without fail on Friday we will get drinks with the team and I'll have to take her to her hotel (because NYC is so confusing and scary) I'll say yes to a few drinks at the hotel bar and she will be on the edge of blacking out before I leave to go home.

Nevermind that she has been to NYC about 5 or 6 times in three years. Everyone expects me to babysit and I cannot unfuck myself out of this short of a role change.

AMA about my annoying HK counterpart.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

:sever:

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Glenn Quebec posted:

Worst part of the year is coming up: I have to play make escort with my Hong Kong counterpart. Once or twice a year she comes to New York for some reason and I'm basically her bitch. I don't know how since we are equivalent to one another but it's just a given because we have to work with each other all the time.

The past three years:

One of my three bosses: "Oh, hey Glenn. Eustace is coming next Thursday. You'll show her around right?" And I say yes because I'm a colossal pussy.

Que receiving an email from her for a one hour meeting everyday while she's in town.

Invariably I have to stay late and chat with her about nothing but it's slightly work related. Without fail on Friday we will get drinks with the team and I'll have to take her to her hotel (because NYC is so confusing and scary) I'll say yes to a few drinks at the hotel bar and she will be on the edge of blacking out before I leave to go home.

Nevermind that she has been to NYC about 5 or 6 times in three years. Everyone expects me to babysit and I cannot unfuck myself out of this short of a role change.

AMA about my annoying HK counterpart.

plunge

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

No, there is no plunge I will not plunge. I am not a plunger. I loving WISH I could sever. The inane chatter, the emails requesting me to be on a call at like some absurd hour and looping me into emails written in Chinese to show off her American connect is awful. I literally have outlook route her emails to a special folder that is like a quarter of my daily emails. I get around 200 emails daily.

And the conversations we have are so milquetoast. Everytime I've pushed the envelope with a question as bold as, "let's skip some protocol between each other (I.e. leave me off these emails and conference invites.)" She titters and covers her mouth and tells me I'm so bad. How? How am I bad? What have I done that's bad? I get giggled at. Almost the same response on the phone or by email.

I swear to god if she gets promoted over me I'll leave.

Osama Dozen-Dongs
Nov 29, 2014

Glenn Quebec posted:

"let's skip some protocol between each other (I.e. leave me off these emails and conference invites.)" She titters and covers her mouth and tells me I'm so bad. How? How am I bad? What have I done that's bad? I get giggled at. Almost the same response on the phone or by email.

Are you explicit about the "(I.e. leave me off these emails and conference invites.)" part? Because "let's skip some protocol between each other" sounds like you're coming onto her.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

Do you want me to copy over a sanitized email Convo? I promise I'm not flirting.

Osama Dozen-Dongs
Nov 29, 2014
She's acting like she thinks you are and what you posted sounds an awful lot like a rephrasing of how about we get more comfortable :heysexy:
Like if you've put it like that instead of saying 100% explicitly that you want her to leave you off the emails and invites, I think I know what the problem is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

I'm direct but friendly. I can't be a dick, I am reliant on her and if she freezes me out of critical, time sensitive stuff it'll look bad on my end.

• Locked thread