Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
It is pedantry but it does matter imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

jBrereton posted:

It is pedantry but it does matter imo

lol nothing matters

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Tesseraction posted:

lol nothing matters

Why not?

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Tesseraction posted:

lol nothing matters
Good luck in your AS levels!

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Another element of parliamentary procedure that often escapes folks - whips are traditionally a mark of respect for a bill's importance in a system built on tradition. The more important a bill is, the more required a political party is to signal its position on it by whipping. For example, the Syria vote, as a declaration of war, would traditionally be a two-line whip, which is why Corbyn was pounced upon for his weakness when he allowed a free vote. For constitutional amendments, a three-line whip is required - a party failing to have a position on something so important is a sign that they are no longer a party, but a collection of independent MPs. You can go for a lighter whip if you really want, but no whip at all is basically a resignation letter. Since Article 50 was functionally a constitutional amendment, that simply left Corbyn with a binary choice of which way to whip, and so he went for the option supported by a plurality of his voters and 70% of his constituencies.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

it's a c-spam reference for fellow c-spammer jbrererabbiton

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.

forkboy84 posted:

But sure, give May a pass for toadying up to the reactionary.

Royal Visits are not the domain of the Prime Minister, not to mention many worse people than Donald Trump have had the red carpet laid out for them. Maybe I should twist words as pathetically as you and say, "Why, no President in almost two DECADES hasn't received an official invitation for a state visit!"

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Darth Walrus posted:

Another element of parliamentary procedure that often escapes folks....

Is there a dedicated think-tank for coming up with Corbyn excuses?

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Christ if there was id be in there getting that sweet and easy think tank money

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Pissflaps posted:

Is there a dedicated think-tank for coming up with Corbyn excuses?

this thread

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Darth Walrus posted:

Another element of parliamentary procedure that often escapes folks - whips are traditionally a mark of respect for a bill's importance in a system built on tradition. The more important a bill is, the more required a political party is to signal its position on it by whipping. For example, the Syria vote, as a declaration of war, would traditionally be a two-line whip, which is why Corbyn was pounced upon for his weakness when he allowed a free vote. For constitutional amendments, a three-line whip is required - a party failing to have a position on something so important is a sign that they are no longer a party, but a collection of independent MPs. You can go for a lighter whip if you really want, but no whip at all is basically a resignation letter. Since Article 50 was functionally a constitutional amendment, that simply left Corbyn with a binary choice of which way to whip, and so he went for the option supported by a plurality of his voters and 70% of his constituencies.

Cheers, this actually explains pretty well why they whipped when it otherwise seems daft as gently caress

Jeza posted:

Royal Visits are not the domain of the Prime Minister, not to mention many worse people than Donald Trump have had the red carpet laid out for them.

Actually, State Visits are usually suggested by the Foreign Office rather than the Queen's staff. So yeah, it is the domain of the PM.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Rigged Death Trap posted:

I just signed up for the Soros salary for setting cars on fire.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Id rather read pissflaps quotes for a full day than discuss Milo of all the making GBS threads things in this godforsaken world

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Jeza posted:

Royal Visits are not the domain of the Prime Minister, not to mention many worse people than Donald Trump have had the red carpet laid out for them. Maybe I should twist words as pathetically as you and say, "Why, no President in almost two DECADES hasn't received an official invitation for a state visit!"

What words have I twisted? Is using the official definition of state visit twisting words pathetically? What a weird criticism.

And mate. I don't want to shock you but the royal family have gently caress all power in 21st century Britain. They do what they are told by the government. Lead by the Prime Minister. It's not Charles II's day anymore. It's not the Her Maj who decided to give Donald Trump all the pomp & circumstance, it's Theresa May for the precise reason of appealing to a vain, insecure reactionary fuckwit who we desperately need a favourable trade deal from since we've cut off our nose to spite our face & quit the EU.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

TheRat posted:

Id rather read pissflaps quotes for a full day than discuss Milo of all the making GBS threads things in this godforsaken world

But it's good news. He's been ditched by CPAC and his book deal terminated. For the first time in his dumb idiot life he's actually getting the lovely end of the stick he usually beats trans people with.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

The position is unpaid

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

Jeza posted:

yeah they are
it's one of those things that officially the monarch has say over, but in reality it's a rubber stamp for the government's decision

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Tesseraction posted:

But it's good news. He's been ditched by CPAC and his book deal terminated. For the first time in his dumb idiot life he's actually getting the lovely end of the stick he usually beats trans people with.

He's also pretty likely to get booted out of Breitbart, because apparently massive racism/sexism/homophobia are fine, but don't you dare defend kiddy fiddlers

Good riddance, hopefully he'll gently caress all the way off from here.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

maybe the UKMT could become a think tank

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.

mfcrocker posted:

Cheers, this actually explains pretty well why they whipped when it otherwise seems daft as gently caress

Actually, State Visits are usually suggested by the Foreign Office rather than the Queen's staff. So yeah, it is the domain of the PM.

forkboy84 posted:

And mate. I don't want to shock you but the royal family have gently caress all power in 21st century Britain. They do what they are told by the government. Lead by the Prime Minister. It's not Charles II's day anymore. It's not the Her Maj who decided to give Donald Trump all the pomp & circumstance, it's Theresa May for the precise reason of appealing to a vain, insecure reactionary fuckwit who we desperately need a favourable trade deal from since we've cut off our nose to spite our face & quit the EU.

The committee who decides state visits:

Sir Simon McDonald: Permanent Under Secretary of the Foreign & Commonwealth Office
Christopher Geidt: Private Secretary to the Queen
Clive Alderton: Private Secretary to Prince Charles
Miguel Head: Private Secretary to Prince William
Simon Case: Private Secretary to the Prime Minister
Sir Alan Reid: Keeper of the Privy Purse and Treasurer to HM The Queen
Sir Mark Lyall Grant: National Security Adviser
Representative from International Trade Department
Julian Evans: Foreign Office Director of Protocol

forkboy84 posted:

What words have I twisted? Is using the official definition of state visit twisting words pathetically? What a weird criticism.

It's Daily Mail levels of retarded to talk about ONLY TWO STATE VISITS SINCE 1952, when the last two were the last sitting presidents. Ever heard of setting a precedent? Stretch the dates back as long as you want to make it sound as pseudo-relevant as you want. I call that twisting words.

radmonger
Jun 6, 2011

Kurtofan posted:

Tanks are unnecessarily militaristic. Maybe a think train.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

The Milo case is only significant because it clearly defines what the defenders of 'free speech' really mean - speech that they find agreeable. They'll just go find another mouthpiece for transphobia, sexism, and racism that doesn't fit their image of gays as child predators.

Hopefully Milo will be ignored forever though, but I wouldn't put a bet on it.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

mfcrocker posted:

He's also pretty likely to get booted out of Breitbart, because apparently massive racism/sexism/homophobia are fine, but don't you dare defend kiddy fiddlers
I'm not sure if that's better or worse than the inverse policy that the BBC operated.

radmonger posted:

Think var.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

radmonger posted:

Tankies, in MY UKMT? It's more likely than you think

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

mfcrocker posted:

Tankies, in MY UKMT? It's more likely than you think

Someone shine the HorseLord signal

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

I mean just check out the handbrake turn here:

https://twitter.com/michaelshermer/status/826983136550543361

https://twitter.com/michaelshermer/status/827543671364988928

https://twitter.com/michaelshermer/status/831218191435116544

https://twitter.com/michaelshermer/status/831577182900101120

screech.....

https://twitter.com/michaelshermer/status/833829254458544129

https://twitter.com/michaelshermer/status/833852625057558528

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

MikeCrotch posted:

Someone shine the HorseLord signal

*shadow of an ice pick appears in the spotlight*

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Fangz posted:

I mean just check out the handbrake turn here:

screech.....

He might want to check into A&E to check that whiplash didn't cause permanent damage to his neck.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Darth Walrus posted:

Citation needed on... well just about all of that, to be honest.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Jeza posted:

It's Daily Mail levels of retarded to talk about ONLY TWO STATE VISITS SINCE 1952, when the last two were the last sitting presidents. Ever heard of setting a precedent? Stretch the dates back as long as you want to make it sound as pseudo-relevant as you want. I call that twisting words.

It was not some date I picked at random, it's just what the source stated. If I found data that went back to 1992 or 1902 I'd have gone and said since that date. You're seeing things that aren't there.

2 in a row isn't a trend, and even if it was 10 in a row, there's something a mite different about Donald Trump. I'm phone posting so can't check but more relevant precedents would be Pinochet, Franco, Mussolini and other far right leaders.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Citation needed on... well just about all of that, to be honest.

You can't demand a citation for feelings.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

forkboy84 posted:

It was not some date I picked at random, it's just what the source stated. If I found data that went back to 1992 or 1902 I'd have gone and said since that date. You're seeing things that aren't there.

2 in a row isn't a trend, and even if it was 10 in a row, there's something a mite different about Donald Trump. I'm phone posting so can't check but more relevant precedents would be Pinochet, Franco, Mussolini and other far right leaders.

The one brought out in the commons when discussing this was that China spoke to parliament on a recent (last few years) visit, and god knows their human rights abuses are worse.

My argument is that surely we should be upholding the "Leader of the Free World" to a higher standard than a superpower we don't stand up to because it'd cripple our economy.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Kurtofan posted:

We'd not be the dumbest think tank in the country, not when the Taxpayer's Alliance is out there.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

mehall posted:

The one brought out in the commons when discussing this was that China spoke to parliament on a recent (last few years) visit, and god knows their human rights abuses are worse.

My argument is that surely we should be upholding the "Leader of the Free World" to a higher standard than a superpower we don't stand up to because it'd cripple our economy.

If "Cameron did dumb thing X" means "May can do dumb thing Y" then lol.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

forkboy84 posted:

We'd not be the dumbest think tank in the country, not when the Taxpayer's Alliance is out there.

did u kno

that tax

is bad

makes u think (tank)!!!

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

radmonger posted:

The Tiny Train Society

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

TheRat posted:

Lucky for you - in this thread you can do both!

While the tory plan to cut hospital services in nearly two-thirds of England in order to funnel money to their interests in private healthcare goes undiscussed.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Maybe Pissflaps would find an audience in the United States.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Kurtofan posted:

I've been several times and always had a warm reception.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Kurtofan posted:

being from teeside he has the wrong accent for it

• Locked thread