Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

Cippalippus posted:

A good reason to quit WOT was that, with over 3k WN8, when XVM became common everyone and their mother tried to do anything to kill me. If XVM or something similar to it becomes a thing in WOWS I'll probably hide my stats, even though I'm not at unicum levels, yet.

I'm still pretty sure that the thing that made WOT decide against letting people hide their stats was all the unicums celebrating being able to play the game in relative peace.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD

The Prong Song posted:

My ranked game VS. you we just had was the third absolutely stompingest game I've had in a row. Is today's ranked hosed, or is it just me?

After I posted, I got back to back dumbass teams with no clue how to play the game. Scharnhorsts going wide of A on Fault Line, DDs rushing into Belfast RADAR range to die like flies, etc.

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man
410,757,864,530 SHELLS FIRED

Today's round in the Ishizuchi made up for the entire weekend. 110k damage, Confederate, Dreadnought, High Caliber and enough XP to get Concealment Expert on my IJN cruiser captain. :feelsgood:

Cippalippus
Mar 31, 2007

Out for a ride, chillin out w/ a couple of friends. Going to be back for dinner
I don't know why people say that the Ishizuchi isn't good. I love mine. It's a tier 4 Myoko that can be spotted from the moon, but it's great to play

Cippalippus fucked around with this message at 12:00 on Feb 21, 2017

Pacra
Aug 5, 2004

Two things about the matchmaking monitor:

- It only shows you stat information about the current ship the person is using
- If you hide your stats, then you won't be shown

also no matter what it shows there's some games where your teammates simply Do Everything Wrong:

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

Pacra posted:

XVM was a similar in-game tool created for World of Tanks that showed you a ton of information about players' statistics in battles.

Many WoT players would say this created a toxic environment of A) Players whining about team compositions with low winrates/stats, B) Unicum players seal-clubbing using stat knowledge to see who they could club, C) Platoons and teams in general focusing on the good players aka 'stat sniping', D) Players checking stats, seeing that their team has an extremely low chance of winning, and then shaming their teammates, firing and killing them, then suiciding (or suiciding right away to get in the next match), E) metagame changes, since your choice of tactics or battle strategy is affected by the stat information at hand.

You can bet everyone in Discord will be using it by tonight, though...

Almost of all of these things are positives in my book.

A) and D) will swiftly root out the worst players who simply are a drag to play with by abusing their psyche to the point where they quit. Anyone else who is a baddie will quickly want to improve.

B and C) I do a lot of warshiptoday checking since I load fast to find out which enemy I should be attempting to kill asap anyways and an addon like this saves me a pile of time. I am not a unicum player but I sure as hell want to be shooting the unicom player as soon as possible.

E) I would much rather have metagame data than not in planning how I am going to play

VietCampo
Aug 24, 2010

MikeC posted:

Anyone else who is a baddie will quickly want to improve.

hahaha haha hahahahahahaha

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

MikeC posted:

Almost of all of these things are positives in my book.

A) and D) will swiftly root out the worst players who simply are a drag to play with by abusing their psyche to the point where they quit. Anyone else who is a baddie will quickly want to improve.

B and C) I do a lot of warshiptoday checking since I load fast to find out which enemy I should be attempting to kill asap anyways and an addon like this saves me a pile of time. I am not a unicum player but I sure as hell want to be shooting the unicom player as soon as possible.

E) I would much rather have metagame data than not in planning how I am going to play

Shaming bad players with stats never helped in WoT, I don't see it happening here either.

In the end, I really didn't like what XVM stats did to WoT, it made an already toxic game worse, since now you had people whining about win chances, or bitching out someone on their team.
Also, I loving hated being the #1 target in a match, and I wasn't even that good. Knowing that 2 spgs have now made it their match goal of making my game miserable wasn't fun. Last thing I want here is a for the enemy CV to decide right off the bat that I need to be killed.

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

Hazdoc posted:

See, Demo Expert is always on and always helps every time you hit something with HE. Superintendent only helps in games that go long enough to require a 4th charge of your skills. Demo Expert is the more important choice, though I agree, Superintendent is a big pickup too and should be your skill at 17 (Priority Target, AR, DE, IFHE, CE, then finally SI). Cap off the captain with Jack of All Trades, or take Expert Marksmen, finally.

Even though I'm often too aggressive, I find myself using the fourth charge quite a lot. And there have been games won with a fourth smoke or radar where I don't think an extra 2% fire chance would have made the difference. But I guess if it's working out for you then keep on trucking.

Blindeye posted:

So I got a supercontainer with the hydroacoustic search module (extends the runtime by 20%). It replaces the 2nd slot of most ships, which blows with the exception of German DDs (lol).

But...I have a Lo Yang...and that seems like it might be viable. Replace the accuracy or AA mod for the longer hydro and you can have an extended DD fight supporting cruisers by screening for torps.

Thoughts?

Try it. The dispersion mod isn't so important when you have a ~3s reload, and the AA range is less helpful when you don't have Defensive Fire and your base AA is merely ok.

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

I'm really looking forward to being primaried by enemy CVs and everyone else at the beginning of a match again.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
The worst thing about being outed as a Unicum isn't the other team trying to kill you first - that can be leveraged to your advantage since tunnel vision is more lethal in WoWS than in WoT - tanks stop and turn much quicker than ships.

The worst thing is your own team subconsciously seeing you and assuming victory is a sure thing, so they can gently caress around and off *even more than usual*, then blame *you* for not being good enough to carry them and do the work of 2-3 players all by your lonesome.

Of course, this only gets magnified when divisioning.

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

Only 2-3 players? That's a pretty generous analysis.

Elusif
Jun 9, 2008

I have a controversial opinion, the Konigsberg is the best cruiser.

Reindeer Flotilla
Mar 14, 2006

I RAN "COMEDY" THROUGH GOOGLE AND THIS IS ALL I GOT! ZULUZULUZULU!

Man, I love this boat.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD
RANK 5 AWW YEAH
And I even picked up a star to go with it with one last match. 5.1 is a great finish to my day's off ranking. Now the real grind begins, unfortunately.

E Equals MC Hammer posted:

I have a controversial opinion, the Kuma is the best cruiser.

I agree.

Pacra
Aug 5, 2004

E Equals MC Hammer posted:

I have a controversial opinion, the Yorck is the best cruiser.

:yossame:

Lakedaimon
Jan 11, 2007

I'm also on board with the Yorck. I thought I was going to hate it, but it just clicked with me. Its fairly agile, and it does not get blapped as easily as the other Tier 7 cruisers. Very well suited to kiting, and the good velocity on the guns/hydro let you surprise mediocre DD players

Didnt really like the Hipper because the rudder was significantly worse, the BBs and DDs at tier 8 were a lot stronger (esp NC, Benson, old Fubuki)

Blinks77
Feb 15, 2012

The Yorck is an excellent HE cruiser. With a side dash of AP now and then for people getting ballsy.

The Hipper by contrast i just could not get along with.

Pacra
Aug 5, 2004

Blinks77 posted:

The Yorck is an excellent HE cruiser. With a side dash of AP now and then for people getting ballsy.

The Hipper by contrast i just could not get along with.

The Hipper is just unmaneuverable enough to not wiggle to avoid shells coming into your stern and citadeling you, I found

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

I haven't had trouble dodging shells with it, and it's enjoyable stripping 8k or so hp from a battleship per salvo with the railgun AP shells that skip the Yorck.

e: I think Gneisenau may be the most damaged turret prone ship I've ever driven. Every battle either one or both of the front turrets is disabled, and sometimes destroyed, Kiev, Atlanta and Dunkerque don't have a patch on it.

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 08:14 on Feb 21, 2017

Cippalippus
Mar 31, 2007

Really? I can't like the Yorck. I just... Can't make it work.

Blinks77
Feb 15, 2012

Cippalippus posted:

Really? I can't like the Yorck. I just... Can't make it work.

Like I said, it's a HE spammer.

The AP is a lie of the most filthy sort. Unless you're looking at a broadside Pensa don't even both, just set everything on fire.

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

Zao is the best cruiser. Sorry, mates.

Cippalippus
Mar 31, 2007

Blinks77 posted:

Like I said, it's a HE spammer.

The AP is a lie of the most filthy sort. Unless you're looking at a broadside Pensa don't even both, just set everything on fire.

Yeah, I get that, but it's not even particularly good at it. Sure, I haven't tried the Pensacola, but it just doesn't seem good to me

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

The Yorck dances like nobody is watching, and the armour is effective against cruiser fire

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013

Heartcatch posted:

Zao is the best cruiser. Sorry, mates.
Yup it's so good I don't even want to play my Atago anymore.

Pseudophile
Dec 25, 2007

Hazdoc posted:

Just call me the Pubbie Whisperer.
Rank 7, 2 stars. The Belfast is some hot bullshit.

That was me, I blew all my compliments after you wrecked our potato team.

Burt
Sep 23, 2007

Poke.

Heartcatch posted:

Hindenburg is the best cruiser. Sorry, mates.

Yep :hitler:

Burt
Sep 23, 2007

Poke.

Also playing a stock baltimore is the closest I ever want to get having PTSD.

If you are lucky it's 20 minutes of NONONONONONONO......gently caress........NONONONONONONO......ARRRGGGHHH!!!!!!.....NONONONONONONO...YES! HA!......NONONONONONONO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

Can't you say don't deserve it after nominating the Hindenburg.

Burt
Sep 23, 2007

Poke.

Heartcatch posted:

Can't you say don't deserve it after nominating the Hindenburg.

Zao's fine if no one ever looks at you. Hindenburg just spews out fiery death and gives no fucks.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram
I'm weird; I like Des Moines better than Zao. The shell arcs are tough to get used to, but I love the radar and the new 5.5 second reload (less than 5 seconds at 50% health with AR.)

Burt posted:

Also playing a stock baltimore is the closest I ever want to get having PTSD.

If you are lucky it's 20 minutes of NONONONONONONO......gently caress........NONONONONONONO......ARRRGGGHHH!!!!!!.....NONONONONONONO...YES! HA!......NONONONONONONO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just free XP to the better guns. With the new reload buff and the reload mod, you're getting close to DM level reloads. Baltimore is tankier than DM because it's citadel sits lower in the water.

I'm happy about the new stat site. I'm no unicum by any stretch, but I'd rather avoid the complete tomatoes on our team and know who on the enemy team I should be careful about tangling with. One frustrating thing is how inconsistent my play is. One evening I'll play half a dozen damges and be solidly blue and purple on warships today. Another evening I'll play half a dozen games and be solidly red and orange. I generally know what to do, but I'll make some dumb decision in the heat of the moment, usually by being too aggressive.

Thundercakes
Nov 4, 2011

MoraleHazard posted:

One frustrating thing is how inconsistent my play is. One evening I'll play half a dozen damges and be solidly blue and purple on warships today. Another evening I'll play half a dozen games and be solidly red and orange. I generally know what to do, but I'll make some dumb decision in the heat of the moment, usually by being too aggressive.

Do you see a difference with particular ships, or does it matter? It's been a weird time for me since the beginning of the ranked season, my comfort ship is the Kutuzov but it's been up and down even in that lately (one game 120k damage, next 30k). I've somehow still been able to pull dark blue or purple days pretty consistently, but I have not been particularly happy with my consistency or felt very comfortable even in the good performances. Example, I had a terrible 40k Kutuzov game this weekend and then followed it up with a 199k/Kraken Amagi game that was a massive struggle to the end, and that was pretty much my Friday-Sunday experience. There's some ships that maddeningly enough I just can't seem to put in a good performance in, and some days it really does depend on the team. I still make the mistake of going in at least assuming some of them have a clue what they're doing instead of adjusting my style around my team. Unfortunately when you're on a pure tomato team, you do get punished for play that would be rewarded with a semi-competent team.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
I lost a star only once on my way from 18-12, and that was when I sailed right into an Akatsuki torp at the beginning of the match.

Sims is goddamn amazing.

jownzy
Apr 20, 2012

I love Rainbow Moon.

It is the deepest game ever. Nothing compares to its epic story.

Vengarr posted:

I lost a star only once on my way from 18-12, and that was when I sailed right into an Akatsuki torp at the beginning of the match.

Sims is goddamn amazing.

Yep. Listen up kids. This is it.

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

jownzy posted:

Yep. Listen up kids. This is it.

Yeah, when I got to rank one it was with a Sims/Blys combo. Trying out the Leningrad this time and it's been fine so far.

pokchu
Aug 22, 2007
D:
I've played the blysk so much both getting ready for ranked and now in ranked, that I could have any T10 if i wanted, but i just love this thing so much

Pacra
Aug 5, 2004

Played the Zao and Fiji about 10 games each so far.

Zao: pure bullshit boat. It's no wonder why people focus you first in this ship - the longer one is alive in the game, the more ridiculous poo poo it can pull off. The laser guns are incredibly punchy, the fire chance is stupid high, the range is superlative, the rudder shift is decent enough, the armor is far too durable (30mm sections, really?!?) and the torps are faster than many DD torps. Plus you can still stealth fire with impunity at slow BBs - with shell velocity, shots are not difficult from 18 to 20km out. I'm not sure if the impending removal of stealth fire nerfs it enough.
It's a fun boat to play and farm damage in I guess, but the way most people play it seems to not help the team push at all. It's a very passive boat that punishes mistakes severely with very low risk to the driver. I find it way more fun to push in and risk getting deleted in order to blap an unwitting DD with an unerring inferno of 12 shells from 10km away.

Fiji - I'm not a huge fan of what the UK cruisers have added(detracted) from the meta, but it's pretty relaxing to chunk away at anyone that comes in range after positioning in a hotspot. It's pretty easy to get deleted in one. The guns are very fun to use and in randoms, pubbies always seem to start death turns at, well, random, so you have plenty of time to brutalize someone. I'm surprised too by how quickly people stop shooting you when smoking up, when it's usually a decent chance that a few shells downrange into your tiny smoke cloud will hit you.

Rorac
Aug 19, 2011

Every British cruiser is the best cruiser. Even the Emerald is a good ship if you're good enough to handle it.

What I'm saying is that if you suck in RN cruisers, you need to get good.

Edit: VVV I did like the Emerald, but I know that's a really uncommon position. I just clicked really well with the line almost immediately, and I figured out how to get a lot out of the torpedoes (which are incredible and one of the best loadouts in the game and I think the best at tier 5)

Rorac fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Feb 22, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

I can't believe I kissed you!

Rorac posted:

Every British cruiser is the best cruiser. Even the Emerald is a good ship if you're good enough to handle it.

What I'm saying is that if you suck in RN cruisers, you need to get good.

Can confirm. I'm not a good player but the Leander is an absurd beast, albeit relying on you punishing bad players. Good players just kite away.

I hated the Emerald though, and I did absolutely loving terribly in it under the abusive tier 5 mm.