Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

My prediction for how the patch will help the AI to take walled cities is that there will no longer be walls in the game.

So far, they've fixed every issue by taking something out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

The Human Crouton posted:

My prediction for how the patch will help the AI to take walled cities is that there will no longer be walls in the game.

So far, they've fixed every issue by taking something out.

I'd be OK with that. Fewer features that actually work is better than a toolbox full of broken tools.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Eric the Mauve posted:

Controversial Opinion Alert: There really shouldn't be ranged units in Civ at all.

No, probably not. But if you get rid of them entirely you might as well scrap 1UPT too or at least severely alter it which Firaxis seems unwilling to do at this juncture.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Where is Civilization Call to Power 3

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

Eric the Mauve posted:

Controversial Opinion Alert: There really shouldn't be ranged units in Civ at all.

I'd like to see a rock paper scissors type thing like

pre:
attacker  defender  advantage
ranged    melee     ranged
melee     ranged    melee
calvary   melee     calvary
melee     calvary   calvary
calvary   ranged    ranged
ranged    calvary   ranged
with specific tile bonuses like ranged gets bonuses for being on hills or in a city with walls, melee for being in forest or jungle, and calvary for being on flat land, enough to even out the disadvantage from unit type or provide an advantage against the same unit type.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Is the game good yet? I gave up on it back at the end of October because of how broken many of the mechanics were and how terrible the flavor was.

I see Firaxis has just simply removed a lot of the broken interactions, but I suspect this hasn't actually improved the depth of the game. I expect they haven't improved the godawful quotes or the Civilopedia.

Should I just wait for the first expansion pack?

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

It seems like this game was basically DOA. The few youtuber's I watch to kill time at work have all abandoned it even though they were basically just Civ V channels prior to release. I also looked it up on Steamspy and found that more people are playing V than VI.

theroachman
Sep 1, 2006

You're never fully dressed without a smile...
Quill18 is still going strong with his VI let's play streams, but he has a habit of powering through the diplomacy/AI issues and just goes 'conquer all the things!'

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
I like the game. There's parts of Civ V that I liked better, but I like Civ VI more.

Leinadi
Sep 14, 2009
I like Civ VI better in theory. I like the changes in mechanics and the new stuff added. It's just that... the AI still needs fixing and it seems to be an even worse problem in VI than in V (where it's also pretty broken). This is the biggest problem of many in my opinion.

Still, Civ IV is better than either of them. Oh yeah!

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Leinadi posted:

I like Civ VI better in theory. I like the changes in mechanics and the new stuff added. It's just that... the AI still needs fixing and it seems to be an even worse problem in VI than in V (where it's also pretty broken). This is the biggest problem of many in my opinion.

Still, Civ IV is better than either of them. Oh yeah!

*continues to quietly play Beyond Earth in the corner*

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Cythereal posted:

Same but Imperialism II

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

Cythereal posted:

Hey I hear you, downloaded it again last weekend and I am quietly impressed with how its held up. Going to grab the expansion when its next on sale for sure.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

I don't really see the point of playing 6 until the AI can take a walled city, otherwise there's no real threat, and so much of this game is based on military threat that that's a crippling flaw.

I'm thinking the SDK and modders might be able to save it though.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Shouldn't we be due a patch at some point in the near future? I know a lot of the little tweaks will take time but shouldn't they make it a priority to hammer out some of the gamebreaking issues?

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Niwrad posted:

Shouldn't we be due a patch at some point in the near future? I know a lot of the little tweaks will take time but shouldn't they make it a priority to hammer out some of the gamebreaking issues?

That's what the guys monitoring the QA uploads on Steam say. Nothing solid though, 'cause Firaxis devs have their tongues removed at birth by marketing men with red hot tongs.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

mitochondritom posted:

Hey I hear you, downloaded it again last weekend and I am quietly impressed with how its held up. Going to grab the expansion when its next on sale for sure.

One small thing about Rising Tide: the two new biomes have great soundtracks. I rarely play on anything but primordial or frigid worlds just for the music tracks.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Gort posted:

I don't really see the point of playing 6 until the AI can take a walled city, otherwise there's no real threat, and so much of this game is based on military threat that that's a crippling flaw.

I've barely touched it since release because all the stories of how broken the AI is has been so disheartening, and I know I'll be disappointed. The idea of not even facing the threat of losing cities is just pants-on-head ridiculous for a Civ game.

Meanwhile, for those doing MP, how is the game holding up from a strategy game perspective? Civ5 had its "first to frigates" problem, what about Civ6?

turboraton
Aug 28, 2011
Quo mod + Ai+ sure is cool. Also, I decided to listen to some of the Civ6 soundtrack while working on my Good Speakers©...

God drat the music in this game is majestic. I never really cared for China theme but holy poo poo the Atomic Era arrangements are beautiful!

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Another year or so and I'll grab Civ 6 when it goes on sale for :10bux: just to get the soundtrack

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
Or have Spotify.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!
Is the DX12 version of Civ VI prettier than the normal version? I know it doesn't matter much since it's Civ, but I spent too much on computer parts and I oughta make em work.

Dragongem
Nov 9, 2009

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion
I admit I haven't played single player in awhile, but I'm enjoying the PBEM games right now.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Eric the Mauve posted:

one of the very few good things in civ 3 is that artilllery and only artillery had range, 1 space in the early game and 2 in the lategame.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

StashAugustine posted:

one of the very few good things in civ 3 is that artilllery and only artillery had range, 1 space in the early game and 2 in the lategame.

From a wargame perspective, Civ is clearly operational level (armies and divisions, not regiments or companies), and the only things that ever have range are planes.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Why can't I stop playing this stupid broken game?

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

:same:

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
Because the fun creeps in from the cracks.
I can list negatives all day, but it always ends in "but it is so drat fun".

Ulvino
Mar 20, 2009
Same here. And drat you Cythereal for making me reinstall Beyond Earth... I also loved that flawed game. :negative:

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

How many hours have you guys played? I quit after 77. I guess I got my money's worth, but I can't help thinking the game could've been much better than it is.

Phuzun
Jul 4, 2007

Playing my second game on King, went for another domination victory with Rome. Getting into the 1900s with most of the tech/civics done, just kind of building up a ridiculous army, knowing I've already taken down the only civ that had similar tech and units. Egypt and Kongo are left, with Kongo's capital in my possession from Arabia's early war with them.

Was just going to blitz Egypt for their capital, when Kongo decides to start a territorial war for whatever dumb reason the AI does anything. As my units had were in place around the area, I began using bombers and missile cruisers to weaken the cities and rush em with modern armors. In 2 turns I took 5 cities with the last city a few turns away for travel.

I bomb the crap out of that last city while waiting for a unit to roll in and as I take the city, preparing for the Kongo defeat video, I am greeted with a score screen. In my absent mind, I ignored the victory conditions which showed Egypt had converted enough of my cities to have 2/3 civs for the religion victory. By defeating Kongo, I gave them 2/2.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID
I picked this up again to try to knock out an English cultural victory (I had no idea architectural museums had 6 slots and auto-themed, so it felt like a no-brainer) but I might end up just doing domination. I didn't realize (or just didn't read the description) that when you take an enemy city you spawn another unit, so I just kept snowballing civs and city states because why the gently caress not? I'm not even up to Redcoats yet. It's actually kind of fun, I should pick a more domination-focused civ next time and give that a whirl.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Fhqwhgads posted:

I picked this up again to try to knock out an English cultural victory (I had no idea architectural museums had 6 slots and auto-themed, so it felt like a no-brainer) but I might end up just doing domination. I didn't realize (or just didn't read the description) that when you take an enemy city you spawn another unit, so I just kept snowballing civs and city states because why the gently caress not? I'm not even up to Redcoats yet. It's actually kind of fun, I should pick a more domination-focused civ next time and give that a whirl.

England is an underrated Civ. On paper none of their bonuses seem that great, and there's very little synergy between them. But the auto-theming archaeological museums really crank out the tourism/culture. If you can manage to grab the great person who triples tourism from artifacts, it's game over.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

TipTow posted:

England is an underrated Civ. On paper none of their bonuses seem that great, and there's very little synergy between them. But the auto-theming archaeological museums really crank out the tourism/culture. If you can manage to grab the great person who triples tourism from artifacts, it's game over.

Mary Leakey

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

Pretty sure the One-More-Turn-Syndrome started with the very first Civilization for me, the AI might be dumb but it's still a fun game.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

I wasn't expecting Australia.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=11HVt8f0X-I

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
^ugh gaaaaaaay where's genghis

Gort posted:

How many hours have you guys played? I quit after 77. I guess I got my money's worth, but I can't help thinking the game could've been much better than it is.

I've got 87 hours and I don't think I've won any games. Just play until I get interested in playing a different civ, map, whatever. I usually turn off all the victories besides domination just in case, so I don't get the game ended out of nowhere cause I don't pay attention to culture or religion. Also I play on the lvl 5 difficulty, but I could probably go up a notch or two at this point. It's a comfort thing.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

Do they need the sales from Australia? What next, Canada?

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Well that's definitely not the nation/civ to end up in the game next. It's certainly a new one though. Kind of an alternate Japan in some ways.

Though I'm glad to see they finally made the hosed up AI a feature for one nation. Keep poking the nest until you get that production bonus! Laugh at the incompetent AI and then do it again. And again. And again.

Seriously though, I get that they're trying to branch out a bit but I usually see Australia as a mod civ. Also love that Firaxis is making GBS threads all over the aborigines by making it all about white Australia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mandatory Assembly
May 25, 2008

it's time to get juche
Lipstick Apathy

Alkydere posted:

Also love that Firaxis is making GBS threads all over the aborigines by making it all about white Australia.

The tears of rage from white MRA redditors if they had given Australia an aboriginal leader would have been too beautiful.