Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Just going to echo this a third time so you don't miss it, the new link rules barely impact red-eyes at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Any deck that isn't substantially hurt by the link rule changes actually gets a indirect buff.

Skeleton Mom
Aug 11, 2008

I wonder if Evilswarms will come out of retirement to revel in the new meta of strong main-deck monsters? Maybe even Gravekeepers can make a comeback! It's all very exciting to see what's going to happen.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Hjalmar posted:

I wonder if Evilswarms will come out of retirement to revel in the new meta of strong main-deck monsters? Maybe even Gravekeepers can make a comeback! It's all very exciting to see what's going to happen.

Ophion is never going to see relevance again as long as Castel/The lighting are a thing. The link monsters just further add insult to injury as they're also levelless.

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
This looks a little rough for my Shiranui deck and my red dragon archfiend deck. I could see a lot more play out of my deakbot deck, the only extra deck I used regularly was Nova into Infinity when I could get 2 005's out at once.

MissileWaster
Jul 2, 2007

Remember that one time you totally botched that snap?

MiddleOne posted:

Just going to echo this a third time so you don't miss it, the new link rules barely impact red-eyes at all.

But what if they do!!!

The only thing this would really affect is those rare instances where I manage to get one of my extra deck monsters out and have an opportunity to equip them with a Red-Eyes Sword. Doesn't happen frequently enough to be a huge negative, but I'll miss those rare cases where I have a 10,000 attack point beater.

The other deck I was going to make after playing this one for a few weeks was Jinzo, which from what I can tell has like no extra deck support so it just has some general Xyz and Synchros, so it wouldn't be hurt pretty much at all. Don't know where I was gonna go from there, I feel like I'm a long ways off from understanding enough to go to bigger tournaments than the local card shops, so I might just sit back and watch the occasional streams to see what I can glean from them. Then steal whatever deck profiles win the most recent big tournaments like all the cool kids.

Skeleton Mom
Aug 11, 2008

MiddleOne posted:

Ophion is never going to see relevance again as long as Castel/The lighting are a thing. The link monsters just further add insult to injury as they're also levelless.

I see what you mean about link monsters, but the rule change does slow down R4 toolbox a hell of a lot, making Castel & UtL a lot less viable than they were.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Hjalmar posted:

I see what you mean about link monsters, but the rule change does slow down R4 toolbox a hell of a lot, making Castel & UtL a lot less viable than they were.

Well they're still as viable as ever to respond to specific and isolated threats, they're just harder to combine with an OTK.

Skeleton Mom
Aug 11, 2008

Well, it would go like:
Player 1 summons Ophion
Player 2 counters with Castel
Player 1 summons Ophion again, attacks over Castel
Player 2 summons UtL, attacks over Ophion
Player 1 summons a second Ophion, attacks over UtL

Having an extra deck toolbox for outing specific threats is worthless if you can't back it up with a legitimate threat of your own.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

New LINK info Face up pendulum monsters in the extra deck can only be summoned to extra monster zones, jeez.

Skeleton Mom
Aug 11, 2008

Welp, I guess I should stop telling my sister not to panic about her Dinomists and Abyss Actors.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

BurritoJustice posted:

New LINK info Face up pendulum monsters in the extra deck can only be summoned to extra monster zones, jeez.

Pendulum is dead then.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Pendulum didn't deserve this. :argh:

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

BurritoJustice posted:

Wow... :stare:

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Well Yugioh was a fun game while it lasted

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
i wonder what happens in 5 years when they have to walk back this extra summon zone bc it's loving terrible

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Three years. Yugioh eras tend to last roughly three years.

I am still willing to give Links a chance, but right now, I'm not feeling too positive on it.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
okay now I definitely loving hate this

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

what's even the point of pendulums now, it's just vindictive

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Can't wait for Konami to release the broken LINK archetype that requires three sets of 3of $80 secrets!

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Noble Knights to tier 1 under Links rules :v:

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Well all you need is king xyz and some copies of hidden armory and bam tier 1

Oh well.
This isnt surprising in the least. This is the same konami that, when faced with multiple blaze fenix FTKs, chose not to ban Blaze Fenix. The same konami, that when faced with the ubiquity of the r4 toolbox, chose to make more L4 swarmers and expand on the toolbox with things like castel and UtL.
Theyve always nerfed the thing least responsible for terribly op plays.

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Feb 21, 2017

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~
Your lovely shrine maiden fox wife, Tamamo no Mae, is here to help!

Konami is really going all out on making sure every past deck is murdered in as brutal a fashion as possible. Just waiting for the seemingly inevitable rule of "If you don't control a Link monster and your opponent does, any damage your opponent takes is halved."

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

serefin99 posted:

Konami is really going all out on making sure every past deck is murdered in as brutal a fashion as possible. Just waiting for the seemingly inevitable rule of "If you don't control a Link monster and your opponent does, any damage your opponent takes is halved."

But I want more Ghosttrick support :(

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

I mean, Dinosaurs are looking to come out of this pretty hot. Then again, they'll probably gently caress that up somehow, seeing as some leaks before the news hit implied that's exactly what they wanted to do, and something else they wanted to do was kill Zoodiacs, which turned out so very well.... Spits on the signature attribute of Synchros as well just to spite me

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Well all you need is king xyz and some copies of hidden armory and bam tier 1

Oh well.
This isnt surprising in the least. This is the same konami that, when faced with multiple blaze fenix FTKs, chose not to ban Blaze Fenix. The same konami, that when faced with the ubiquity of the r4 toolbox, chose to make more L4 swarmers and expand on the toolbox with things like castel and UtL.
Theyve always nerfed the thing least responsible for terribly op plays.

this isn't nerfing this is sorched loving earth

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Man, can I even fuckin play Cardians with this poo poo?

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Blockhouse posted:

this isn't nerfing this is sorched loving earth

Yeah
The extended logical conclusion
Same thing as before just on a grand scale.

(Except this time the basic rule change doesnt only gently caress over worm zero otk.)

^^^you can but youll have to stick with only one of the synchros at any time.
Which means no triple ameshikou/lightshower

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Feb 21, 2017

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

AlphaKretin posted:

I mean, Dinosaurs are looking to come out of this pretty hot. Then again, they'll probably gently caress that up somehow, seeing as some leaks before the news hit implied that's exactly what they wanted to do, and something else they wanted to do was kill Zoodiacs, which turned out so very well.... Spits on the signature attribute of Synchros as well just to spite me

Dinosaurs are going to be top tier once the structure deck is out. They don't need the extra deck, they can swarm pretty hard, and they're a natural counter to Zoodiacs.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Dexie posted:

Dinosaurs are going to be top tier once the structure deck is out. They don't need the extra deck, they can swarm pretty hard, and they're a natural counter to Zoodiacs.

strongest by default

it's like if a bunch of guys are getting ready for a fight, and then someone shows up and shoots all but one of the competitors in the kneecaps with a shotgun

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

I'm talking about in the month between the release of the deck and the advent of Links. Dinos are incredibly strong and have a handful of different builds, and their boss monster stops a lot of decks dead in their tracks.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

If it's any consolation Shark has been trying out the new DDD's under the link rules and they actually still seem very viable, just oriented around different plays and certain cards such as necro slime being way more important.

Skeleton Mom
Aug 11, 2008

Okay, well, at the very least, mass summoning from the hand means Pendulums can Link Summon really effectively, which boosts their ability to return from the extra deck. It's not all bad.

Vise the Stompy
Mar 26, 2006

This cosmic dance; bursting decadence and withheld permissions, twists all our arms collectively. But, if sweetness can win, and it can, then I'll still be here tomorrow to high-five you yesterday, my friend....Peace!
Doctor Rope
Sorry to hear about the Pendulum Stipulation. Igknights, Amorphages, and Odd-Eyes Magicians were still looking casually viable since none of them were heavy extra deck users. But that rules clarification has completely killed any theoretical builds. =( Well I still have Blue eyes, Rituals, and Kaiju Greydles at least.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

The dawn of Fire Fists and Buijin's reclaiming the throne is here...! (???)

EDIT: I think normal decks like lvl1 mash and Ojama's are actually going to be significant again since their swarming now suddenly gives access to way more kinds of monsters (rank 1 & 2 XYZ are not nearly as good as they should be) like Link Spider who on his own is just kinda crazy. Links also mean that you're no longer penalized for mixing up levels.

MiddleOne fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Feb 21, 2017

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Can we talk about Duel Links in here?

Also I was on board with the new rules so far but that hits Pendulums a little too hard. I see the logic, I guess. On the bright side, I think Pendulums will flow with Links very well anyway, so they'll still be strong.

MJeff fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Feb 22, 2017

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
https://twitter.com/RANK10YGO/status/834577285508452353

Now everyone do me a favor and vote Steelswarm tia.

Skeleton Mom
Aug 11, 2008

already voted cloudian get fukt

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Steelswarm is such and under the radar deck that it took me years to even find out it was an archetype, and I like seeking out obscure archetypes! It is a fun concept though even if it's basically been overbalanced since release.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MissileWaster
Jul 2, 2007

Remember that one time you totally botched that snap?
I pulled a Toadally Awesome from a booster pack the other day. Are Frogs still viable? I have a friend who said he used to run them, seems like a fun/interesting deck if it's still decent. Also heard that it's a good deck for Egyptian God cards, it'd feel pretty good dropping Obelisk on my friend for stealing my Red-Eyes deck idea.

• Locked thread