Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

They're fun if you run around a lot mixing up melee/guns

If you just play them as cover shooters you're not really going to have any fun

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I like playing a game that makes me feel like I'm doing some Indiana Jones adventurin'. At the very least Uncharted 2 made me feel that way, I wasn't super thrilled with either 1 or 3. Still planning on playing 4 at some point though.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I like climbing on nice looking ruins, I can take or leave the shooting stuff

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Yeah I just don't like shooters.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

uncharted would be cool if you could run up stuff instead of climbing, and you got a katana instead of guns

[revengenance falls out of a passing heron's sharp beak]

praise be...

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

fridge corn posted:

That sounds awful. Why are those games so popular?

Uncharted 1 is bad. They start getting good at 2.

I won't tell you they're amazing gameplay experiences, but they're like the video game equivalent of a good summer blockbuster. They take you on a fun little adventure with good characters and are generally a good time. The gameplay does get better with each one.

I dunno, I like serious games as much as the next nerd, but Uncharted does pull off what it wants to do really well. I wish its platforming was challenging and had more to do, to be fair, but otherwise I like it a lot.

Help Im Alive posted:

They're fun if you run around a lot mixing up melee/guns

If you just play them as cover shooters you're not really going to have any fun

Also this. Uncharted 3 and 4, especially, are more fun when you try to be stealthy, too. I'd never say Uncharted 4 has a "stealth system" in it, but it does let you tackle a surprising amount of encounters without being seen, and even skip some if you can get past the enemies without getting spotted, which is a big change for the series. It's even lighter stealth than The Last of Us, but being able to go back and forth between shooting and stealth in the same encounter as you pop out, take out some enemies, and then lose them again, is a good time.

(I'm also really bad at shooters with a console controller so the more I can melee enemies in Uncharted, the happier I am.)

Harrow fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Feb 21, 2017

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

What are you trying to get out of your gameplay? EU4 is just as complex but in slightly different ways. It doesn't have a granular character interaction system like CK2 does, but instead makes up for it by having layered and interconnected systems all centered around the limited resources and attention of the head of state.

These games are by nature complex which is why people love them. It is one of those things where you shouldn't expect to master things within the first few hours, so you should go in trying to have fun poking and prodding at the various systems, and getting better will probably involve watching someone else play through while explaining things

I find Eu4 is easier to understand than CK2 because EU4 is more "gamey". Everything revolves around obtaining and managing monarch points, and that kind of system is relatively easy to understand for any strategic game player. CK2 requires getting your mind into the whole medieval thing and wrapping your head around things like inheritance laws and poo poo like that

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xnlDwEZkidI

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
I got stuck on Uncharted 1. I find the combat not so much fun as solving puzzles. Tomb Raider was much better for me for that. Anniversary, Legend and Underworld are my favourite adventuring trilogy!

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Lurdiak posted:

*a video*

I mean, if you roll into Uncharted 4 without caring about any of the characters, yeah, I suppose it's going to be boring.

I dunno, I'm one of those jackasses who likes game stories so maybe I'm the wrong one here, but Uncharted is good as hell and these guys are being asses for expecting the game to be something it isn't :shrug:

VideoGames posted:

I got stuck on Uncharted 1. I find the combat not so much fun as solving puzzles. Tomb Raider was much better for me for that. Anniversary, Legend and Underworld are my favourite adventuring trilogy!

The combat in Uncharted 1 is atrocious. It's the only one I refuse to replay. It gets steadily better as the series goes on, though I'd never say it reaches the point at which I'd recommend someone play Uncharted just for the third-person shooter part.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Feb 21, 2017

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I always liked how Uncharted doesn't give you much ammo for your guns. It's got a very frantic pace to it because you can't just sit in cover taking potshots forever 'cuz you'll run out of ammo. So you have to be running around scooping every gun you can find off the floor. Too many games (even ones with a limited inventory like Uncharted's) dump 500 ammo's on you and let you stick with one gun forever and it becomes very boring.

edit: Which is something I also like about Max Payne 3, although if the enemies are mostly using the same guns as you are you'll stock up on ammo pretty quickly.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
The stealth systems in 4 are the best change they made and every time I was forced into combat felt like a failure, either on my part or the game's.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

As much as I enjoy Uncharted, I wish it hadn't gone for third-person shooter combat and instead gone with, like, improvised combat that relies on stealth and tricks. I'm not going to go into that "NATHAN DRAKE IS A MASS MURDERER" thing, but I think I'd just have more fun if Nathan in combat felt more like Nathan in cutscenes. I don't want to be a badass one-man army, y'know? I want to fight fewer, but more deadly enemies, and need to sneak up on them, run for cover, do cool tricks like dropping big rocks on enemies or swinging from ropes and kicking them off cliffs, and use guns only as a last resort.

Basically make it like the first half of Sleeping Dogs, only less kung fu and more "basically just lucking into this" with the animations.

Also more involved platforming would've been cool. Uncharted 4 starts to vary things up nicely with the grappling hook and the wall spike, but it's still basically an interactive cutscene when you're doing the jumping and climbing. It's fine, I still find it fun enough, but something where I have to actually try, like Prince of Persia: Sands of Time or something, would've been great.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Harrow posted:

I mean, if you roll into Uncharted 4 without caring about any of the characters, yeah, I suppose it's going to be boring.

That's the most damning thing I've ever heard about an "action blockbuster".

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
"I didn't play and/or like the first 3 games, maybe 4 will be more my style" - A dumbass

edit: this post directed at lurdiak and his rich evans strawman btw

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

:(

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O_tbmA21no0&t=35s

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Lurdiak posted:

If you go to watch Captain America: Winter Soldier and you didn't like or care about the first Captain America movie, you ending up not caring about the sequel doesn't make it a bad movie. (I picked Winter Soldier because it's actually good and I haven't seen Civil War yet, and I don't want someone to be able to go, "Actually Civil War was bad, checkmate :smuggo:".) And hell, a good summer action blockbuster should be enjoyable for the characters, the story, and the action. The bad ones are the ones that try to rely entirely on flashy action without giving you a story to care about to frame the action.

Like it or not, Uncharted does rely heavily on having a strong story. If you already don't care about its story, then you're probably not going to like it. That doesn't make it bad.

For what it's worth, I phrased that wrong. To use my girlfriend as an example, she watched me play Uncharted 4 without having any foreknowledge about the characters or story and ended up loving it. Obviously she didn't play it herself, so maybe it doesn't "count," but the story was worthwhile on its own merits. What I meant was that if you tried the previous Uncharted games and didn't like them or care about the characters or story, it's unfair to go into Uncharted 4 expecting it to suddenly grab you.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

CJacobs posted:

"I didn't play and/or like the first 3 games, maybe 4 will be more my style" - A dumbass

edit: this post directed at lurdiak and his rich evans strawman btw

Eh. When you're talking about video games that isn't impossible. The new Nier game for example is a Platinum action game and thus more/less likely to be to someone's appeal than the previous games. Liking RE4 doesn't mean you liked R1-3 and vice versa.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Lurdiak posted:

Hmm, yes all those 3rd/4th entries in blockbuster series that don't need previous titles as context.

Uncharted 4 is epic and I liked it a lot.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

I mean if Uncharted is all about the story why were you all just telling them to skip the first one?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Harrow posted:

If you go to watch Captain America: Winter Soldier and you didn't like or care about the first Captain America movie, you ending up not caring about the sequel doesn't make it a bad movie.

This is some weirdass nonsense. Each iteration in a franchise is a chance to win the audience over, familiarity or liking the original has nothing to do with it. There's plenty of movies I only like the sequel of, or at least greatly prefer it, and same goes for videogames. If your work can't stand on its own without someone already being a fan of the franchise, your work is poo poo.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Lurdiak posted:

This is some weirdass nonsense. Each iteration in a franchise is a chance to win the audience over, familiarity or liking the original has nothing to do with it. There's plenty of movies I only like the sequel of, or at least greatly prefer it, and same goes for videogames. If your work can't stand on its own without someone already being a fan of the franchise, your work is poo poo.

You're arguing with an argument I'm not making. I said if you already watched the first one and didn't like it or give a poo poo about it, chances are you're not going to like or give a poo poo about the sequel because it turns out the sequel isn't a vastly different movie. How does that mean the sequel is poo poo? Turns out, if it's a similar thing to a thing you already didn't like or care about, it's not going to win you over.

Also I strongly disagree in regards to franchises. A blanket statement of "if a franchise of sequels relies on people knowing about the previous movies, they are poo poo" is absolutely absurd. Would you apply that to TV, too? Like, is The Americans terrible because season 2 assumes the viewer has watched season 1 first and is going to be hard to get into if you haven't?

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

Phantasium posted:

I mean if Uncharted is all about the story why were you all just telling them to skip the first one?

The first one is by far the shallowest of the 4 and, other than introducing the main 3 of Sully, Nate and Elena, doesn't really do a whole lot to characterize them.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Harrow posted:

You're arguing with an argument I'm not making. I said if you already watched the first one and didn't like it or give a poo poo about it, chances are you're not going to like or give a poo poo about the sequel because it turns out the sequel isn't a vastly different movie. How does that mean the sequel is poo poo? Turns out, if it's a similar thing to a thing you already didn't like or care about, it's not going to win you over.

Then I don't understand what you're even trying to say. Is this just a "don't play things you think you might not like and then criticize them" argument?

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Lurdiak posted:

thats not how most blockbusters work anymore. everything is about building franchises. watching civil war without watching a bunch of marvel movies is confusing as hell and that franchise is basically a money printing machine

games are generally better at doing what you are talking about but its not really a hard rule anymore

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Almost all mainstream video games are out of necessity designed and marketed so that people feel comfortable picking it up on the third and fourth installments, or else they would never grow. TW3 has sold over 20 million copies to date and there are maybe like 10 people who played + enjoyed TW1.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

PantsBandit posted:

The first one is by far the shallowest of the 4 and, other than introducing the main 3 of Sully, Nate and Elena, doesn't really do a whole lot to characterize them.

Eh.

After Uncharted 4 I can't really say Uncharted 1 is skippable. Uncharted 4 is, more or less, about Nate from Uncharted 4 meeting Nate from Uncharted 1 and dealing with the fact he's grown up from that guy. If you're really playing it for the plot the plot loses meaningful context without that, though obviously it isn't necessary to get everything because Uncharted 4 isn't the deepest plot in history.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Lurdiak posted:

There are franchises that use a setting for separate stories each time and there are those that continue to develop one story. Uncharted is the second kind. You can't generalize it under one rule. Just jump into The Empire Strikes Back and expect to understand what's going on and care about the characters.

Also there are definitely series that do it way better than Uncharted, it's a blockbuster with likable characters, nothing revolutionary. It was still enjoyable to me.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
The bee in Pre-Rec's bonnet about Naughty Dog games is so excruciatingly painful. Just...don't play those games. Like I got that they get irritated about people telling them constantly to try Last of Us or whatever but no one is holding a gun to their head about it.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Palpek posted:

There are franchises that use a setting for separate stories each time and there are those that continue to develop one story. Uncharted is the second kind. You can't generalize it under one rule. Just jump into The Empire Strikes Back and expect to understand what's going on and care about the characters.

That's how I originally saw Empire and it was Very Easy to get engaged by these unfamiliar characters because the movie is good.

I'm just trying to figure out what the logic is here. Is the only person allowed to criticize Uncharted 4 someone who's not only played the first 3, but also enjoyed them?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Lurdiak posted:

That's how I originally saw Empire and it was Very Easy to get engaged by these unfamiliar characters because the movie is good.

I'm just trying to figure out what the logic is here. Is the only person allowed to criticize Uncharted 4 someone who's not only played the first 3, but also enjoyed them?

You are allowed to criticize it but not with "I didn't like the other games either" being your reasoning a la the Pre Rec guys, especially if you are going to in the same sentence say other people can't use that argument because the work should stand on its own!

Blackfyre
Jul 8, 2012

I want wings.
Hey what about all those people who got Final Fantasy 7 and hadn't played one before they followed it all just fine :smug:

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

exquisite tea is right that sequels to games are usually of the completely separate installment variety and it doesnt help that games that try the epic saga stuff tend to crash and burn horribly like mass effect or xenosaga but thats a problem of logistics, not storytelling. eventually someone will figure the formula for making this sort of thing work and just start printing money like disney is

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
The Trails series at least pulls it off quite well.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Lurdiak posted:

Then I don't understand what you're even trying to say. Is this just a "don't play things you think you might not like and then criticize them" argument?

If you didn't like Uncharted 1, 2, or 3, you're not going to like 4. That doesn't mean Uncharted 4 is a poo poo game. That means you don't like Uncharted. And that's fine! It is cool to not like things. It is cool to criticize things you don't like. It's annoying as hell to know you don't care about Uncharted, a series that relies heavily on its story, and then go into Uncharted 4 specifically to make a big show about how much you don't care about it.

In other words, intentionally playing a type of game you already know don't like isn't going to lead to good or useful criticism. For example, I already know don't like racing games. I'm not going to force myself to play one just so I can be like, "And that's why racing games are boring and poo poo." And if the newest Gran Turismo doesn't suddenly win me over, that doesn't mean it has failed at being a racing game. (I have no idea if Gran Turismo was ever good or not.)

But y'know what? I'll engage with that original argument, too.

I think you're amazingly wrong about franchise stories. Like, staggeringly wrong. Even in the realm of big-budget movies, a story carrying on and developing from movie to movie is a good thing for some series. Uncharted is that kind of series. You can jump into Uncharted 4's story without having played and/or watched an LP or something of 1-3, and for some people that clearly worked, but it's not going to have the same weight or the same immediate "this is the last story about these characters I care about" weight. And for some people, that pre-established connection is going to be necessary, and that's okay.

Lurdiak posted:

It's more like: "I already know that I think games with lots of cutscenes are boring regardless of the quality of those cutscenes. Let me now play this game that I know will have a lot of cutscenes so that I can make a video about how boring it is." It's not good or useful criticism. You don't have to have enjoyed the previous games specifically, but a baseline "I'm gonna meet this game at what it wants to be" is necessary to actually engage with it in a critical way and if you already know you're not going to do that, it's not really worth your time to play it in the first place. I don't like horror games or slow games where I walk around solving puzzles in first person, so I'm not going to play RE7, because I know that I'm not going to be able to go into it with anything resembling a fair perspective.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I think people are conflating their own prior impressions of the Uncharted series carrying into 4 instead of taking the objective viewpoint that UC4 has outsold its predecessor by like 2:1, which is almost universally true for most big budget franchise installments. So while you may personally feel as if something is lost going into the latest Uncharted with no prior knowledge, millions of people evidently have no problem with that whatsoever and will happily jump in if they like what they see.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
But guys what about ludonarrative dissonance

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Nate RFB posted:

The Trails series at least pulls it off quite well.

thats true but trails is not an AAA franchise. the holy grail is a big budget game where choices carry over to the next game in a meaningful way. thats unworkable right now but im sure its doable with some yet unknown trickery and good game design and maybe advances in technology

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

babypolis posted:

thats true but trails is not an AAA franchise. the holy grail is a big budget game where choices carry over to the next game in a meaningful way. thats unworkable right now but im sure its doable with some yet unknown trickery and good game design and maybe advances in technology

I know how to do it. Unfortunately I would hate to crash the video game industry. Alas.

• Locked thread