Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Starting to really enjoy dual swords as a backup for my single katana. I'm finally learning how to do good damage with these things and it's really satisfying. Fuckin' Moon Shadow is hilarious, too--oh, you guarded my attack? gently caress you, no you didn't, get owned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
I beat the game over the weekend then tried to catch up with this thread. I really hope that PvP is a fighting game like Bushido Blade. Make the transformations into different stat spreads at lvl 100, let you customize your moveset and item shortcuts if the selected character has options, and make the arenas like the Dojo. Like, Hanzo could have a heavy Ninjitsu set and light armor while Honda has a deep Spear moveset and heavy armor, negate armor and weapon bonuses and make it a best out of 5 competition. It'd be the easiest way to manage the metagame or min-maxing builds and I think that would best compliment the already great human duels in the game.

Okay, have some videos demonstrating why I love dual katanas.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L2lByXqH2hw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ATpBZw6rpbs

I'm not sure how difficult this last guy can be, because I aced him without being hit and I don't want to go back through that stage again.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7YSad2TY0c4

I think you'll notice a pattern in my Cuisinart style. I need to switch out the useless shurikens from my quick items and put the Carnage talisman in.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Lifeseal + Earth Talisman is an amazing combo.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

LawfulWaffle posted:

I'm not sure how difficult this last guy can be, because I aced him without being hit and I don't want to go back through that stage again.

Answer: pretty easy, but he did kill me once because, in the second half of the fight, his "summon a bunch of magical arrows and then shoot them at the same time" move one-shots you if you gently caress up.

LawfulWaffle posted:

I really hope that PvP is a fighting game like Bushido Blade. Make the transformations into different stat spreads at lvl 100, let you customize your moveset and item shortcuts if the selected character has options, and make the arenas like the Dojo. Like, Hanzo could have a heavy Ninjitsu set and light armor while Honda has a deep Spear moveset and heavy armor, negate armor and weapon bonuses and make it a best out of 5 competition. It'd be the easiest way to manage the metagame or min-maxing builds and I think that would best compliment the already great human duels in the game.

Yeah, that's what I hope they go with, too. Start with a couple characters per major playstyle. Like, Hanzo and Okatsu for ninjutsu, Li and Honda for spears (one in light armor, one in heavy armor), Fuku and Tenkai for onmyo magic, Tachibana Muneshige and Marume Nagayoshi (the jovial Way of the Warrior dojo trainer guy) for swords, and so on.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
I have a huge surplus of gold like 400k

The heck should I spend it on

I pretty much never bother with the blacksmith

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Soul Matching high level armor is so prohibitively, hilariously expensive. I thought I was rolling in gold until I tried to do that for the first time at lv. 90-something.

Wish there was a way to drive down the price of that meaningfully like weapons have with familiarity.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Deified Data posted:

Soul Matching high level armor is so prohibitively, hilariously expensive. I thought I was rolling in gold until I tried to do that for the first time at lv. 90-something.

Wish there was a way to drive down the price of that meaningfully like weapons have with familiarity.

Divine armor (in NG+) has familiarity.

Really, soul matching is more of an NG+ thing anyway. Divine equipment is cheaper to soul match and offers a couple ways to get further discounts (same type of equipment gives you a discount, and same exact item gets you a bigger discount). You need to soul match divine gear to get it above level 150--it goes to 150 (+1), 150 (+2), all the way up to 150 (+10), and that's the main way to power up your gear in NG+.

(Okay, you can technically get level 320 gear, but I'm pretty sure that's an exploit)

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Two Q's: if I just did The Source of Evil, how close am I to the end (not counting the post credits mission)? And is it possible to reforge to get one of those extra scaling effects? I've never seen one of those pop up but I'm guessing it could just be due to their rarity.

Deified Data posted:

Man, doing Sekigahara and The Source of Evil back to back was an undertaking, the latter especially was the stiffest challenge yet. Was it just me or are the revenants summoned by the yokai portals there all buffed? Had to dip into my stock of Shingiku Medicine for the boss.

They're definitely a lot stronger. I had trouble until I fell back on my classic strat of "parry, iai, finisher."

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
400k is not really rolling in it. I had 2 million when I hit ng+ and just from getting 2 weapons to +3 it took me down to almost a million. Each soulmatch costs about 80k.

Two soul matches to get from two +1s to a +2. So five soul matches to get a +3. So eleven soul matches to get to +4. Twenty three to get to +5.

Now, you get drops that are higher than +1, so that's a worst case scenario, but You're gonna be doing doing this with armor too... And if you want more than one set... All your money goes bye bye really quick.

Edit: actually I took 2 weapons to +3 and then most of my armor set to plus 2. Just the two weapons didn't take 1 mil to soul match.

Snak fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Feb 21, 2017

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Genocyber posted:

Two Q's: if I just did The Source of Evil, how close am I to the end (not counting the post credits mission)? And is it possible to reforge to get one of those extra scaling effects? I've never seen one of those pop up but I'm guessing it could just be due to their rarity.

They're definitely a lot stronger. I had trouble until I fell back on my classic strat of "parry, iai, finisher."

It occurs to me that they probably get the same buff from the tainted spots that you get from the purified ones. It was +ki regen and two others, not sure what.

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Best five bucks I've ever spend.
I just finished the second mission and the sub-mission that completing it unlocks, and I'm enjoying the poo poo out of this thus far. Good mashup between character action and the Dark Souls formula.

I'm I correct in my belief that the only way to make a weapon stronger is to Soul Match? Otherwise I just need to hope a stronger weapon drops / I need to forge one?

il serpente cosmico fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Feb 21, 2017

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

il serpente cosmico posted:

I just finished the second mission and the sub-mission that completing it unlocks, and I'm enjoying the poo poo out of this thus far. Good mashup between character action and the Dark Souls formula.

I'm I correct in my belieft that the only way to make a weapon stronger is to Soul Match? Otherwise I just need to hope a stronger weapon drops / I need to forge one?

Some weapons have familiarity or stat bonuses to damage that will increase as those increase, but in general yeah, if you want to keep using the same weapon you have to soul match it. You could also forge one if you have the text. Otherwise it's a linear progression of picking up a better weapon in the next mission and using that instead.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Forging your own weapons is super cheap and good if you have access to ones that you like. Reforging is also super cheap.

Edit: also remember that you can forge high quality materials out of low ones. There's no point in ever forging from anything but purple mats.

Snak fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Feb 21, 2017

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I'm I correct in my belief that the only way to make a weapon stronger is to Soul Match? Otherwise I just need to hope a stronger weapon drops / I need to forge one?

Yes, and I'd recommend not soul matching. You're going to get so much gear so often that you should consider something disposable unless it has some sort of insane combination of abilities on it. Plus, it's a lot cheaper to forge new weapons and armor than to soul match things. Granted, there isn't a ton of other stuff you need to spend money on in your first playthrough, so go ahead and soul match if you can't bear to let go of a specific weapon for another mission or two, but it's not something that's a core part of gearing up until NG+.

If you do NG+, then you should start soul matching--it's both cheaper and more effective there.

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Stand back I'm going to try science!
I just finished frog man, how much of the game do I have left? Frogman and spider lady are on my one shots so far. Also +A heart scaling on a sword is pretty hilarious.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Calidus posted:

I just finished frog man, how much of the game do I have left? Frogman and spider lady are on my one shots so far. Also +A heart scaling on a sword is pretty hilarious.

You're roughly halfway through, maybe over half by a mission or so?

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

Quick question for the thread: what's your favorite stance for dual katanas, and why is it low stance?

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.

Emron posted:

Quick question for the thread: what's your favorite stance for dual katanas, and why is it low stance?

Low stance is great for moving around and starting the skill combo, but if you don't fully appreciate high stance I'm going to have to refer you to the videos I posted above.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Genocyber posted:

Two Q's: if I just did The Source of Evil, how close am I to the end (not counting the post credits mission)?

You've got another region after the current one.

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

LawfulWaffle posted:

Low stance is great for moving around and starting the skill combo, but if you don't fully appreciate high stance I'm going to have to refer you to the videos I posted above.

What loving skill is that

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Emron posted:

What loving skill is that

Water Sword, comrade. Hold block and mash on heavy attack to slash until your Ki runs out.

Mid stance has a similar skill where you hold block and hold X and you dash forward slashing like a blender, it owns.

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

Harrow posted:

Water Sword, comrade. Hold block and mash on heavy attack to slash until your Ki runs out.

Mid stance has a similar skill where you hold block and hold X and you dash forward slashing like a blender, it owns.

I've been using the dash one, it's great but I have trouble with moving past the enemy. I'm throwing points into water sword tonight.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
My issue with Water sword is it usually knocks the enemy away and misses most of the hits. It only really shreds an enemy if you get them against a wall or something. Also I really like the other L1+Triangle move, it's some nice burst damage.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID

RatHat posted:

My issue with Water sword is it usually knocks the enemy away and misses most of the hits. It only really shreds an enemy if you get them against a wall or something. Also I really like the other L1+Triangle move, it's some nice burst damage.

Windstorm? That's been my Go-To because even if it gets blocked, it shreds ki so one or two uses leaves them open to a grapple. It might be boring but it's amazing for revenant farming.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
Is there anyway to move a transferable stat from a low level weapon onto a higher level one? Soul match only seems to let the star transfer from a higher level to a lower level weapon.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Soul match should transfer all of the stats I'm pretty sure.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Megasabin posted:

Is there anyway to move a transferable stat from a low level weapon onto a higher level one? Soul match only seems to let the star transfer from a higher level to a lower level weapon.

No, it should work both ways. Keep in mind a weapon can't receive an inheritable stat if it already has one.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
What triggers Tome to have you ask her questions? I feel like I have hardly any patronage points.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Give her lots of money and talk to her a lot :shrug:

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Yeah just talk to her a few times every time you go to the Blacksmith. The other guy too.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
The weapon with the transferable ability that you want to inherit must have max familiarity. Transferable abilities can overwrite each other. So if you have 2 weapons with transferable stats, if the weapon used as material has max familiarity, its ability will be inherited and overwrite the base weapon's transferable ability. If the material does not have max familiarity, it won't transfer its ability and the base weapon will keep its transferable ability.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Are you sure about it overwriting the transferable stat? I thought it just wouldn't work at all if they both had one.

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice
I have no idea how it works. I was able to overwrite a weapon's transferable stat before, but now I can't.

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

With initial soft caps so low, and with each stat providing a variety of benefits, it seems like leveling everything up to at least 10 (15 in Heart's case) makes sense. Or am I missing something here? Maybe STR isn't useful if I don't want to use axes and if I don't want to use heavy armor?

il serpente cosmico fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Feb 21, 2017

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Megasabin posted:

You need to have max familiarity on the weapon you want to transfer the ability from. So if Weapon A has an ability that you want to transfer to Weapon B, you need to max the familiarity on Weapon A for it to work.

Abilities can also conflict without telling you. Like, if you have Mid Attack Damage +x% on a weapon, it can't inherit or reforge any other damage-enhancing ability, including things like Familiarity Damage Bonus.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

With initial soft caps so low, and with each stat providing a variety of benefits, it seems like leveling everything up to at least 10 (15 in Heart's case) makes sense. Or am I missing something here? Maybe STR isn't useful if I don't want to use axes and if I don't want to use heavy armor?

Pretty much, yeah. It's not as useful to dump heavily into one stat like Dark Souls. The exception is if you're doing a Ninjutsu or Onmyo magic build.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

You're correct about leveling a variety of stats.

So here's the thing: weapon scaling never caps. Ever. No diminishing returns at any point--it's (for all intents and purposes) linear all the way to the top. But the non-scaling effects of stats do cap. Usually there's an initial softcap at 10 or 15, followed by another at 30 or 40, depending on the stat. And because every weapon scales with three stats and scaling is independent from the weapon's base damage (meaning the bonus damage you get on a katana from 40 Heart is the same whether the katana has 100 base damage or 800 base damage), there's no reason to go all-in on a single stat.

Strength and Skill are both great stats. I'd say Skill is better, but they're both good. Both of them scale four of the five weapon types (Strength scales everything but kusarigama, Skill scales everything but axes) and both of them give you 1 samurai skill point per stat point, which is more than any other stat. Both also make your Ki pulses better, but Skill is better for that. Strength scaling also tends to be a little less than Skill scaling on any weapon that has both, but the differences between scaling letters are way smaller than you'd think.

If you're not using axes or heavy armor, you'd probably be better off with Skill over Strength. Even though medium armor has Strength requirements, they're fairly low (I don't think I've seen more than 13) and then you can dump into Skill after that if you want a jack-of-all-trades stat.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Feb 21, 2017

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

RatHat posted:

Are you sure about it overwriting the transferable stat? I thought it just wouldn't work at all if they both had one.

Tome specifically says that you can, and I have tested that it shows up as overwriting in the preview.

HellCopter posted:

I have no idea how it works. I was able to overwrite a weapon's transferable stat before, but now I can't.

If the inheritable ability conflicts with another ability on the base weapon, you won't be able to transfer it. So that's probably what's happening.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

How difficult is the platinum for this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Harrow posted:

You're correct about leveling a variety of stats.

So here's the thing: weapon scaling never caps. Ever. No diminishing returns at any point--it's (for all intents and purposes) linear all the way to the top. But the non-scaling effects of stats do cap. Usually there's an initial softcap at 10 or 15, followed by another at 30 or 40, depending on the stat. And because every weapon scales with three stats and scaling is independent from the weapon's base damage (meaning the bonus damage you get on a katana from 40 Heart is the same whether the katana has 100 base damage or 800 base damage), there's no reason to go all-in on a single stat.

Strength and Skill are both great stats. I'd say Skill is better, but they're both good. Both of them scale four of the five weapon types (Strength scales everything but kusarigama, Skill scales everything but axes) and both of them give you 1 samurai skill point per stat point, which is more than any other stat. Both also make your Ki pulses better, but Skill is better for that. Strength scaling also tends to be a little less than Skill scaling on any weapon that has both, but the differences between scaling letters are way smaller than you'd think.

If you're not using axes or heavy armor, you'd probably be better off with Skill over Strength. Even though medium armor has Strength requirements, they're fairly low (I don't think I've seen more than 13) and then you can dump into Skill after that if you want a jack-of-all-trades stat.

Cool, thanks. I'll probably get everything up to 10 (Heart to 15) to give me a good balance of skills and armors available to me, and then refocus on the areas that make the most sense from there.

After getting used to Dark Souls, it's kind of nice to have a leveling system where every stat is beneficial to pretty much every player.

il serpente cosmico fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Feb 21, 2017