Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JesusIsTehCool
Aug 26, 2002
Got a little airbrushing done today on two wave serpents. Did one in the scheme I posted here a week back and the other in a similar way.

Not perfect but not bad at all. Got to clean up and few parts and I need to paint the guns, in lay lines, the gems, and the pilot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Texmo
Jun 12, 2002

'Time fer a waaagh from above!

jadebullet posted:

Well, after my match, I figured I would treat myself to a painting pallet cleanser, doing a bright army to contrast my dark Chaos units. So I picked up the Tau Get Started box, as Tau was my original army.

Quick question, what codex do I use. I know there is a 7th Edition codex, but also a pair of campaign books that have formations and act as a codex as well or something? Specifically, I want to run the Decurion, particularly with that Infiltration Cadre with the Ghostkeel, because I used to run a poo poo ton of stealthsuits back in the day.

Oh, and these new Crisis Suits and Firewarrior models. loving awesome. So much better than the old sculpts.

The 7ed Tau book is near identical to the 6ed one, except with a few tweaked profiles, and additions of the formation stuff from the campaign books. The campaigns still have rules for Tau fortifications which the codex lacks, however - but you'll likely be fine with just the recent codex.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

jadebullet posted:

Well, after my match, I figured I would treat myself to a painting pallet cleanser, doing a bright army to contrast my dark Chaos units. So I picked up the Tau Get Started box, as Tau was my original army.

Quick question, what codex do I use. I know there is a 7th Edition codex, but also a pair of campaign books that have formations and act as a codex as well or something? Specifically, I want to run the Decurion, particularly with that Infiltration Cadre with the Ghostkeel, because I used to run a poo poo ton of stealthsuits back in the day.

Oh, and these new Crisis Suits and Firewarrior models. loving awesome. So much better than the old sculpts.

7th ed Tau book is the most up-to date one. Warzone Damocles was a little strange, as it was designed so that people who already had the 6th ed codex could continue using it with the first Damocles book having all the new suits and goodies included in the 7th ed Tau codex.

If Stealth/Battlesuits are up your alley I recommend grabbing the Farsight Enclaves supplement, if I recall right it has the Infiltration Cadre in it's unique Decurion as well as some tasty bonuses for close-range focused Tau armies.

Also yes, the new kits are such a god-sent, especially the new Crisis team. Putting together my Retribution Cadre was a dream.

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Get ready for teh wacky laughz0r!
If I do Alpha, and one of my squads of Chosen infiltrates, and I have an HQ attached to that squad, does the HQ also infiltrate?

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

goose willis posted:

If I do Alpha, and one of my squads of Chosen infiltrates, and I have an HQ attached to that squad, does the HQ also infiltrate?

Yes, provided there isn't preventing him from being able to Infiltrate. You only need one model in a unit to have Infiltrate to confer its benefits on the whole squad.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

TheChirurgeon posted:

Yes, provided there isn't preventing him from being able to Infiltrate. You only need one model in a unit to have Infiltrate to confer its benefits on the whole squad.
This doesn't apply to independent characters though. A character without infiltrate can't deploy with an infiltrating unit and vice versa. It's in the FAQ.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Safety Factor posted:

This doesn't apply to independent characters though. A character without infiltrate can't deploy with an infiltrating unit and vice versa. It's in the FAQ.

Ah, fair enough. Good to know. I knew that was the case for some stuff, but didn't realize they covered Infiltrate too.

TheChirurgeon fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Feb 21, 2017

Gato The Elder
Apr 14, 2006

Pillbug

TheChirurgeon posted:

Hello my fellow ham thread goons. I have a new B-B-B-BATTLE REPORT for you today.

To coincide with My Good Man Shadow Daishi visiting New York this weekend, we organized a game of 2v2 HAM SLAMS at my place, me and him vs. some of my buddies in Jersey City (you may remember them from such battle reports as: Me clowning Tau and Me wrecking house on some goddamn Necrons). Today’s game was 2,500 points per side. A bit large, but we were determined to knock the game out in 3 hours.

THE ARMIES
Normally Shadow Daishi is a Space Wolves player, but since mans wasn’t his primary goal this weekend, he left the furries at home and borrowed an army of mine, so the game was Black Legion and Khorne Daemonkin vs. Tau and Necrons, with each army being roughly 1,250 points.

Khorne Daemonkin Blood Host Detachment
This was pretty straightforward—with only half the list being KDK, the Slaughtercult is primarily going to be a way to 1. Generate more blood tithe points (+1 per turn), and 2. Get more out of spent points, usually getting FNP on top of a summoning.

Core: 1 Slaughtercult
- Chaos Lord w/MoK, Sigil of Corruption, Blade of Endless Bloodshed (Warlord)
- 8 Berserkers w/Rhino and Champion w/Axe of Khorne, Icon of Wrath
- 8 Berserkers w/Rhino and Champion w/Axe of Khorne, Icon of Wrath
- 8 Cultists
- 5 Possessed

Aux: 1 Gorepack
- 3 Bikers, Champion has Power Sword
- 3 Bikers w/2x Meltagun
- 5 Flesh Hounds

Aux: War Engine
- Helbrute w/2x Power Fist

Black Legion Speartip Detachment
I still think the Speartip is super-underrated. It’s less amazing against non-Imperials, but Fear and Crusader on every unit is a big boost, plus the ability to drop in Deep Strike reserves on turn 1 means quick deep deployment of key units. Plus, it gives access to the Cyclopia Cabal formation. I strongly suspected our Tau opponent might bring a Riptide, which is easily among the top 5 best targets for the Cabal’s Shroud of Deceit power.

Core: Black Legion Warband
- Chaos Lord w/Jump Pack, MoK, VotLW, Sigil of Corruption, Power Sword
- Terminators (5) w/Reaper Autocannon, VotLW, 2x Power Fist, Champ w/L. Claws
- Raptors (7) w/2x Meltagun, MoK, VotLW, Icon of Wrath, champ w/L. Claws
- CSMs (10) w/Melta and Missile Launcher, VotLW
- CSMs (6) w/VotLW
- Havocs (7) w/VotLW, 4x Autocannon

Command: Cyclopia Cabal
- Sorcerer (ML 2) w/Force Staff, Daemonic Aura
- Sorcerer (ML 2) w/Force Staff, Daemonic Aura
- Sorcerer (ML 2) w/Force Sword, Daemonic Aura

Aux: Chaos Spawn
- 1 Chaos Spawn

THE OPPOSING FORCES
I think the Tau player had a mix of a Farsight CAD and two formations for a list that, despite being only 1250 points, was very strong and kind of a small proto-version of the Tau tournament lists making the rounds.

- Riptide Wing: 2 Riptides w/Ion cannons
- Pirhana Firestream Formation: 3 single units of Piranhas, plus 1 spotter, all with Seeker missiles
- 4 squads of drones (2 shooty, 2 markerlights)
- 4 Crisis Suits w/2x Plasma
- 1 squad of fire warriors in a Devilfish w/Fireblade (Warlord)

Thoughts
A good game, and I’m glad some of my early strategic ideas paid off. That said, here are some thoughts:

- I said this before, but I want to repeat that I think Contact Lost is the best of the Maelstrom missions. It might be even better if you don’t allow markers to be placed in deployment zones. It’s basically the opposite of Spoils of War (insane randomness where anyone can score objective cards), and less punishing than Deadlock, which basically kills your chances of catching up if you don’t score many objectives early.

- Trying to take down the Riptide with Terminators was a huge mistake that I won’t make again. Power Fists just don’t do enough, and my bad rolls didn’t help much.

- My strategy to “scare my Necron buddy into not using his Decurions” worked, but I suspect it won’t work so well a second time. Still, good stuff.

- The Speartip Strike detachment worked well, and the bonus of having Fear and Crusader was great against non-marine enemies.

- Aside from the Bloodthirster, I usually struggle to find a reason to summon anything in KDK that isn’t Flesh Hounds or Bloodletters. On the plus side, Flesh Hounds were able to reliably tar pit the gently caress out of Wraiths all game, even if they struggled to do any real damage.

- This was the first time I really brought the Cyclopia Cabal, and it was a good time to do it—I probably could have done a better job moving my Sorcerers around and positioning them to get more out of them individually, but overall the effect of using the Shroud of Deceit was pretty great, even if I did end up taking a couple of Perils wounds to it.

Nice battle report! How come you didn't take any spell familiars w/ the Cabal?

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

OMG sriracha pudding! posted:

Nice battle report! How come you didn't take any spell familiars w/ the Cabal?

Thanks! I mostly didn't run any because 1. I ran out of points, and 2. I didn't think I'd need them, having never used the Shroud of Deceit before. Next time I might consider cutting down on the CSM squad (who didn't do much, though they held an objective all game, which was useful), in favor of a trio of spell familiars. Good advice for the future, though! Ultimately I didn't have any trouble manifesting the Shroud, usually throwing 7-8 dice at it (you get a free die for each other sorcerer within 12"), but I got a lot of Perils.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

TheChirurgeon posted:

Hello my fellow ham thread goons. I have a new B-B-B-BATTLE REPORT for you today.

Thanks for sharing! I'm always happy to see some hamslam action going on, and your reports are good as ever. I'm also just happy to see Chaos beat Tau and Necrons.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Alpha Legion rules:

no chaos marks, no unique characters, mandatory VotLW (for free), Chosen are troops, Chosen, Marines and Cultists have infiltrate

every time your warlord dies, pick a Character (any character, not just IC) and they're your new warlord, roll traits for them. only get VP for Slay the Warlord if all your characters are dead.

detachment benefits:

can reroll warlord trait, all non-vehicles get shrouded first turn, destroyed unit of cultists goes back in ongoing reserve on a 4+

so their detachment kinda sucks who cares just take some formations

Paranoid Dude
Jul 6, 2014

JesusIsTehCool posted:

Got a little airbrushing done today on two wave serpents. Did one in the scheme I posted here a week back and the other in a similar way.

Not perfect but not bad at all. Got to clean up and few parts and I need to paint the guns, in lay lines, the gems, and the pilot.

Both of those are REALLY cool, especially the one on the left.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

Alpha Legion rules:

no chaos marks, no unique characters, mandatory VotLW (for free), Chosen are troops, Chosen, Marines and Cultists have infiltrate

every time your warlord dies, pick a Character (any character, not just IC) and they're your new warlord, roll traits for them. only get VP for Slay the Warlord if all your characters are dead.

detachment benefits:

can reroll warlord trait, all non-vehicles get shrouded first turn, destroyed unit of cultists goes back in ongoing reserve on a 4+

so their detachment kinda sucks who cares just take some formations

The Cultist thing got FAQ'd, since the detachment only gets cultists in the one formation that already gets them back--you now get Cultists back on a 3+. Overall, I think it's still stronger than the alternative (the Black Crusade Detachment), but not by much.

SRM posted:

Thanks for sharing! I'm always happy to see some hamslam action going on, and your reports are good as ever. I'm also just happy to see Chaos beat Tau and Necrons.

Thanks! I can't tell you how happy I've been with the Traitor's Hate and Traitor Legions supplements--it's such a major boost that Chaos needed without making them overpowered.

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

30k has the best version of alpha legion, play Age of Darkness games instead.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
all i want from 8th ed is to unfuck walkers

JesusIsTehCool
Aug 26, 2002

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

all i want from 8th ed is to unfuck walkers

I would like to see a general buff to vehicles. I wish they made it so the vehicle damage table was d6 + AP bonus + open top bonus - remaining hull points.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

JesusIsTehCool posted:

I would like to see a general buff to vehicles. I wish they made it so the vehicle damage table was d6 + AP bonus + open top bonus - remaining hull points.

D being mildly reigned in would be nice.

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Get ready for teh wacky laughz0r!
Dark Vengeance bikes and helbrutes are fairly cheap on eBay, are either of them decent in 7th edition? I'd use the bikes for Chaos bikes of course.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?
Traded a copy of ASL Festung Budapest for some Tau. I was originally looking for Necron to do a Kill Team but I think I can make something out of this.

He added some bonus lizardmen; about 40 skinks, 6 kroxigor, stegadon, 30 saurus :getin:

Is there a fantasy kill team variant? I asked before but can't remember the thread.

goodness fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Feb 21, 2017

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

goodness posted:

He added some bonus lizardmen; about 40 skinks, 6 kroxigor, stegadon, 30 saurus :getin:

Is there a fantasy kill team variant? I asked before but can't remember the thread.
Condolences on your Age of Sigmar army.

Paranoid Dude
Jul 6, 2014
Age of Sigmar is basically the fantasy kill-team variant.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

goodness posted:

Not an official one but this is a newer homebrew thing people are getting into
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/4845563/Zandronum/Hinterlands%202.0.pdf

JesusIsTehCool
Aug 26, 2002

goodness posted:

Traded a copy of ASL Festung Budapest for some Tau. I was originally looking for Necron to do a Kill Team but I think I can make something out of this.

Seems like a good trade to me. This person is obviously a good painter, most of the infantry look great. I just don't understand the "lighting camo?" or whatever that is on the vehicles.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?

Safety Factor posted:

Condolences on your Age of Sigmar army.

They are pre AoS models and should be great for another fantasy skirmish game. If I can find a decent system

JesusIsTehCool posted:

Seems like a good trade to me. This person is obviously a good painter, most of the infantry look great. I just don't understand the "lighting camo?" or whatever that is on the vehicles.

I was surprised how good they were, didn't expect them to be painted when I went to make the trade

Milotic
Mar 4, 2009

9CL apologist
Slippery Tilde

TheChirurgeon posted:

I really enjoyed reading this on my morning commute. Lovely pictures, great discussion. I take it the sorcerers were unmarked?

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Milotic posted:

I really enjoyed reading this on my morning commute. Lovely pictures, great discussion. I take it the sorcerers were unmarked?

thanks! yeah, they were unmarked--no real advantage to marking them since not doing so let them join berserker squads.

Milotic
Mar 4, 2009

9CL apologist
Slippery Tilde

TheChirurgeon posted:

thanks! yeah, they were unmarked--no real advantage to marking them since not doing so let them join berserker squads.

Naturally they were slaughtered by the Zerkers after the battle yes?

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

FromTheShire posted:

Can anyone recommend a good ulrasonic cleaner? I have a bunch of cheap marines from eBay that I need to strip and I'd like to speed up the process. I can go up to 100-ish, but after sorting through pages upon pages of them on Amazon with no idea what differentiates a good one and a bad one, I'm looking for advice.

I'm also curious is there is a way to strip what I'm guessing is some kind of latex paint, rather than just dissolve when scrubbed after soaking in Super Clean, it peels off in big rubbery chunks.

There's also what I assumed to be GW Ultramarine blue painted guys since the guy threw in a couple old pots with the lot who seem impervious to cleaners - they were soaked for about a week in Super Clean and both 30 and 60 minute baths in denatured alcohol, and neither even softened the paint to where I could scratch it with my thumbnail, much less a brush. If anyone has experience or thoughts dealing with something like that I'd love to hear it, beyond just ignoring what's there and spraying primer it, which is what I'm about to do.
If you're in the US, you can get a cheap cleaner from Harbor Freight. To be honest though, I didn't think using an ultrasonic cleaner made much of a difference.

As for good strippers, you can pick up gel paint removers like Citristrip or Kleanstrip at Home Depot or the like. They strip paint in seconds - the downside is that they have a terrible smell and are toxic as all get out. They work great for metals, but I'm not sure if they will damage plastic.

Proletariat Beowulf
Jan 7, 2007
I wish meat screamed as I ate it.

berzerkmonkey posted:

If you're in the US, you can get a cheap cleaner from Harbor Freight. To be honest though, I didn't think using an ultrasonic cleaner made much of a difference.

As for good strippers, you can pick up gel paint removers like Citristrip or Kleanstrip at Home Depot or the like. They strip paint in seconds - the downside is that they have a terrible smell and are toxic as all get out. They work great for metals, but I'm not sure if they will damage plastic.

Best cleaning fluid I've ever used is rubbing alcohol. Once the whiskey I was drinking took the stain finish off my kitchen table, I never bought another bottle of Simple Green again.

Seriously, just dunk models for 15 minutes and scrub. If you find huge globs of caked-on thick paint, dunk again.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Milotic posted:

Naturally they were slaughtered by the Zerkers after the battle yes?

They almost certainly would have, if those two sorcerers hadn't died after a mix of withering fire from Tau fire warriors and the perilous forces of the warp attacking them after their grand displays of psychic power. The third sorcerer, who sat back with the havocs, has likely found himself newly promoted to head Sorcerer in the warband.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Proletariat Beowulf posted:

Best cleaning fluid I've ever used is rubbing alcohol. Once the whiskey I was drinking took the stain finish off my kitchen table, I never bought another bottle of Simple Green again.

Seriously, just dunk models for 15 minutes and scrub. If you find huge globs of caked-on thick paint, dunk again.

No issues with plastic?

FromTheShire
Feb 19, 2005

Panzers on Russian soil, Thunder in the east.
One million men at war,
The Soviet wrath unleashed

I did try denatured alcohol, which the OP of the mini painting thread indicated was the same potency of 90% rubbing alcohol, both are supposed to only soak for 15-30 minutes before they start softening the plastic. On the one crappy predator turret I had in with the models, it did reach the point where I snapped the barrel pretty easily with just the pressure from the toothbrush presumably from how much it softened, but the paint still wouldn't budge. Everything I've read about stripping minis and most of the people I've talked to have basically said that shouldn't happen, but it did, so I'm not sure what else to try/ what kind of solid steel paint this apparently is. AT this point it's less about caring about getting them clean and more about being offended they won't cooperate heh.

Proletariat Beowulf
Jan 7, 2007
I wish meat screamed as I ate it.

berzerkmonkey posted:

No issues with plastic?

None. The only bits that snapped off were Dark Eldar MC fiddly spiky bits. Some pigment from the primer remained, but could be coaxed off with careful washing.

I know brake fluid works for resin stuff, too.

FromTheShire posted:

I did try denatured alcohol, which the OP of the mini painting thread indicated was the same potency of 90% rubbing alcohol, both are supposed to only soak for 15-30 minutes before they start softening the plastic. On the one crappy predator turret I had in with the models, it did reach the point where I snapped the barrel pretty easily with just the pressure from the toothbrush presumably from how much it softened, but the paint still wouldn't budge. Everything I've read about stripping minis and most of the people I've talked to have basically said that shouldn't happen, but it did, so I'm not sure what else to try/ what kind of solid steel paint this apparently is. AT this point it's less about caring about getting them clean and more about being offended they won't cooperate heh.

Well that sucks. I have run across some really stubborn oil-based enamel paint (I guess :confused:) back when I was using Simple Green that just would not get off, but I suspect it was some wacky sort of chemical that loving bonded to the metal or some poo poo.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
:siren:Badcast Alert:siren:
Just a heads up on the Badcast front: Sex Cannon and I have conflicting schedules this week so it'll be coming out next week. Thanks for listening, and stay bad!

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cdEQmpVIE4A

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

SRM posted:

:siren:Badcast Alert:siren:
Just a heads up on the Badcast front: Sex Cannon and I have conflicting schedules this week so it'll be coming out next week. Thanks for listening, and stay bad!

Ettin plz

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Guy Goodbody posted:

I'm gonna have to start listening to that, I unsubscribed from the Independent Characters and deleted all the downloaded episodes when I heard how Carl pronounces "stasis"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XYMrYXOglj8&t=40s

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

jesus loving christ.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Is anyone planning on going to the Inner Circle: Gathering Storm I event at their local GW?

I stopped in Saturday to grab the packet and info for it. Manager told me it's 1 HQ and 2 Troop, 300 points max. Since I run Skitarii and Cult Mechanicus, he said i could take a tech priest and 2 Skitarii units.

I'm taking:

Tech-Priest Dominus.............................105
+ Phosphor Serpenta.................................5

Skitarii Vanguard......................................55
+ 2 Vanguard............................................18
Alpha
Power Sword............................................15
Radium Pistol.............................................5

Skitarii Rangers........................................65
+ Plasma Caliver......................................30

Total....................................................... 298

First time actually playing 7th and with my AdMech. I'm excited!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BuffaloChicken
May 18, 2008

:frogsiren: PAGING BUFFALO CHICKEN :frogsiren:

Could you post the file you used to print out those data sheets? I'd appreciate mightily.
Been hosting out-of-state friends for days, haven't been on a computer outside of work. Will post them soon. Stay tuned!

• Locked thread